Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:This might be a stupid question, but I just want to know how much I can chill out for during the summer before school starts. Sorry if I come off as gunner-ish.

How good is CLS at teaching you all the steps for getting jobs, introducing you to different types of law/legal jobs, and helping you explore your employment options and opportunities? Would you say most of it is self taught/researched, or does the school do a good job at getting this knowledge and information out to you?

Just a random example would be: Would I have to go to the PI office and talk to them about DOJ Honors, what it is, the steps to applying for it and the requirements? Or will the school somehow throw this information at me? What if I didn't know DOJ Honors even existed? Would the school let me know about it?
So, the school will basically walk you through step by step the application procedure for the most popular post-grad jobs, i.e., large firms (via EIP & all the OCS sessions), Fed Gov Honors such as DOJ (via OCI & Rachel Pauley/SJI), major public interest fellowships like Skadden (via SJI), and federal clerkships *kind of* through the clerkship office. There are people designated for each of these purposes who will present at various talks throughout the year, badger you during the application season, and meet with you one on one when you need.

Ultimately the only office that really forces you to attend their events, meet with them, and apply for something is OCS, the office of career services. That's sort of the school's default: you can do almost nothing but follow a few very basic instructions (show up at this time at this place) and the school will get you a job at a firm (which firm depends a little more on your grades and the effort you put into the process). The rest of the stuff (gov't honors, clerkships, major PI) will be "thrown" at you via email and some quasi-mandatory lunch talks, but you will have to take some steps affirmatively on your own to make it happen. The resources are all there though.

For jobs that do not fall under those four major categories, there are fewer resources and you have to do more of your own legwork. You'd want to seek out the right people and it will take a little more independent research to find the applications and set up interviews.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks jbagel and Nebby!

I'm assuming all the journals deadlines/info will also be emailed to us or something.

Really intrigued how this new clerkship office will be lol

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Thanks jbagel and Nebby!

I'm assuming all the journals deadlines/info will also be emailed to us or something.

Really intrigued how this new clerkship office will be lol
Yeah, there is a "journal week" in the spring of your 1L year, and they will tell you everything you need to know. You shouldn't worry at all about journals before then.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:20 am

Okay. Well, my housing offer came and went, and the email got caught in junk mail so I never even saw it. I guess it wasn't the best time to switch to the goddamned Windows mail app from Outlook...

Does anyone know what I can do now? Do I have to go through the craziness of the NY renting market? I was told by UAH that nothing I wouldn't know until early July if there would be ANY housing available let alone something in my price range. If I have to look through it by myself, how do I even start? I'm Canadian btw...

Edit: Would REALLY appreciate advice at this point.

asaucyintruder

New

Post by asaucyintruder » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:15 am

BrainsyK wrote:Okay. Well, my housing offer came and went, and the email got caught in junk mail so I never even saw it. I guess it wasn't the best time to switch to the goddamned Windows mail app from Outlook...

Does anyone know what I can do now? Do I have to go through the craziness of the NY renting market? I was told by UAH that nothing I wouldn't know until early July if there would be ANY housing available let alone something in my price range. If I have to look through it by myself, how do I even start? I'm Canadian btw...

Edit: Would REALLY appreciate advice at this point.
Just call until you get someone. If that person isn't helpful, try again at another time of day. Not everyone at the housing office is helpful, but you'll definitely be able to find someone to help you. I called trying to get moved closer to the law school last year and was moved within 5 minutes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

asaucyintruder wrote:Just call until you get someone. If that person isn't helpful, try again at another time of day. Not everyone at the housing office is helpful, but you'll definitely be able to find someone to help you. I called trying to get moved closer to the law school last year and was moved within 5 minutes.
I was able to reach someone, and they said that I'll have to get on the waitlist. Do you know what the odds are of landing something not ridiculously expensive or far from the waitlist? Can anyone else chime in if they have experience with this? My alternative right now is to Airbnb in Brooklyn, which has an hour commute. Is that doable for 1L while maintaining competitive grades?

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
asaucyintruder wrote:Just call until you get someone. If that person isn't helpful, try again at another time of day. Not everyone at the housing office is helpful, but you'll definitely be able to find someone to help you. I called trying to get moved closer to the law school last year and was moved within 5 minutes.
I was able to reach someone, and they said that I'll have to get on the waitlist. Do you know what the odds are of landing something not ridiculously expensive or far from the waitlist? Can anyone else chime in if they have experience with this? My alternative right now is to Airbnb in Brooklyn, which has an hour commute. Is that doable for 1L while maintaining competitive grades?
Have you tried Juliana Utley/law school housing? They may be able to help you more or get you in. It could just be law student only housing, so slightly more expensive, but it'd be something. If that doesn't work, my best advice would be to check the UAH subletting website (http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/overview-5) and try to find somewhere for the fall and then work to move into UAH in the spring.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:05 am

anonymous117 wrote:Have you tried Juliana Utley/law school housing? They may be able to help you more or get you in. It could just be law student only housing, so slightly more expensive, but it'd be something. If that doesn't work, my best advice would be to check the UAH subletting website (http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/overview-5) and try to find somewhere for the fall and then work to move into UAH in the spring.
I was able to secure a decent Airbnb in Harlem for a comparable price for the Fall semester. Hopefully, I can get something off the waitlist or in the spring. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

skigirl3136

New

Post by skigirl3136 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:08 am

BrainsyK wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:Have you tried Juliana Utley/law school housing? They may be able to help you more or get you in. It could just be law student only housing, so slightly more expensive, but it'd be something. If that doesn't work, my best advice would be to check the UAH subletting website (http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/overview-5) and try to find somewhere for the fall and then work to move into UAH in the spring.
I was able to secure a decent Airbnb in Harlem for a comparable price for the Fall semester. Hopefully, I can get something off the waitlist or in the spring. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
There are also a ton of amazing places for rent in the Columbia Off-Campus Housing group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2856067 ... 3/?fref=nf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:27 pm

For honors calculations when they say law school graded credits does that cover pretty much anything graded from the law school? i.e. Clinic/externship?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:31 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:For honors calculations when they say law school graded credits does that cover pretty much anything graded from the law school? i.e. Clinic/externship?
Yeah I think so

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:27 am

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:For honors calculations when they say law school graded credits does that cover pretty much anything graded from the law school? i.e. Clinic/externship?
Yeah I think so
The clinics/externships are often ungraded or have ungraded fieldwork though (half of the credits won't count), so read carefully. I'm probably taking 8 ungraded credits next semester and am nervous about it(though I don't know how much I care about honors, tbh, because I honestly prefer the types of classes that are p/f).

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 pm

the answer to this is definitely yes for anyone who was also wondering
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lellie

New

Post by lellie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:12 am

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:14 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
the answer to this is definitely yes for anyone who was also wondering
Kent?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 pm

I move in on July 31 but I heard we only get our IDs during orientation. Is there anyway I can access the Dodge gym before I get my id? I'm going to need a gym for those two weeks but I don't want to sign up to Blink or NYSC before checking out how bad Dodge will be with my schedule. (If my class schedule permits me to work out during non-busy times or not)

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I move in on July 31 but I heard we only get our IDs during orientation. Is there anyway I can access the Dodge gym before I get my id?
I think the general consensus is no. You might be able to get free trial at local gym or something like that to fill the gap.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlexFergusonLS

New

Post by AlexFergusonLS » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:15 pm

What are people's schedules like? Trying to decide how the day looks for errands etc.

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by AlexFergusonLS on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:11 pm

AlexFergusonLS wrote:I have a dog (living off campus). Will I need a dog walker or will I have time in my schedule to walk home and walk my dog at some time between 10-2 each day?

Thanks for any advice!
Everyone has a break from at least 12 until around 1:15ish for lunch. There are occasionally mandatory events and always voluntary lunch talks, but you can almost always duck out early. If you live close, it's definitely doable even if you happen to have class right before and after lunch.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:28 am

Do UAH apartments generally have microwaves? They're not in a phone-answering kind of mood today.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:Do UAH apartments generally have microwaves? They're not in a phone-answering kind of mood today.

My UAH apartment does not have a microwave

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:Do UAH apartments generally have microwaves? They're not in a phone-answering kind of mood today.

My UAH apartment does not have a microwave
Bummer. Thanks!

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Do most 2Ls and 3ls live north of 100th or alternatively do they move closer to Columbus Circle/Chelsea?

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 pm

KijiStewart wrote:Do most 2Ls and 3ls live north of 100th or alternatively do they move closer to Columbus Circle/Chelsea?
I'd say most still live near campus but a decent amount move somewhere cooler

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”