Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
appind

Gold

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Does whether a certain BL firm will hire someone also depend on whether their coursework is in the practice area of the firm? Say if one did government oriented coursework focused on general administrative law during 2/3L and then decides to apply for IP law BL during 3L along with planned government positions, is there a chance. that is, does one have to plan specific electives during upper class years to be able to target specific BL practice area?

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:52 pm

appind wrote:Does whether a certain BL firm will hire someone also depend on whether their coursework is in the practice area of the firm? Say if one did government oriented coursework focused on general administrative law during 2/3L and then decides to apply for IP law BL during 3L along with planned government positions, is there a chance. that is, does one have to plan specific electives during upper class years to be able to target specific BL practice area?
Choice of classes has absolutely no impact on BigLaw hiring. Just know that biglaw hiring as a 3L is extremely limited. Most people will get a biglaw gig before 2L even starts.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:27 pm

almondjoy wrote:
appind wrote:Does whether a certain BL firm will hire someone also depend on whether their coursework is in the practice area of the firm? Say if one did government oriented coursework focused on general administrative law during 2/3L and then decides to apply for IP law BL during 3L along with planned government positions, is there a chance. that is, does one have to plan specific electives during upper class years to be able to target specific BL practice area?
Choice of classes has absolutely no impact on BigLaw hiring. Just know that biglaw hiring as a 3L is extremely limited. Most people will get a biglaw gig before 2L even starts.
during BL interviews they'd want to know the interest areas and if they align with their practice areas. so wouldn't the relevant coursework show to the firm more clearly one's interest? if getting BL gig before 2L means that they were offered after 1st year SA, then wouldn't different coursework than their proclaimed interest would be noticed by the firm or could lead to offer withdrawal? thx.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 pm

appind wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
during BL interviews they'd want to know the interest areas and if they align with their practice areas. so wouldn't the relevant coursework show to the firm more clearly one's interest? if getting BL gig before 2L means that they were offered after 1st year SA, then wouldn't different coursework than their proclaimed interest would be noticed by the firm or could lead to offer withdrawal? thx.
You're not understanding the timeline. The vast majority of biglaw hiring happens at the Early Interview Program the first week of August before the start of your 2L year (other schools call it OCI for On-Campus Interview program, at Columbia it's EIP), which is a massive program organized by the Career Services office where hundreds of firms conduct screening interviews in a hotel in Times Square for summer associate positions the following summer. At that point, you've only taken mandatory classes and a 1L elective, which can be something related to a particular practice area or not (almost definitely not, but in 1L it really, really doesn't matter). You'll be asked at the screeners what kind of practice areas you're interested in, and at that point you can talk about your interest in capital markets or securities litigation or whatever, but nothing you've done academically at that point is relevant. The only possible exception is IP, since if you want to do hard IP, you usually need a hard science background from undergrad/other grad school, and IP firms will ask about that.

There are other smaller OCI programs every spring and again in the Fall for 3Ls, and at that point they might ask about your courses, but the subject matter is still of pretty limited importance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:19 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Hi, all. I was placed on reserve last night, and I know the odds of getting taken off reserve are incredibly slim, so I have no illusions of that actually happening and/or of subsequently receiving aid. I'm wondering if there's any point in staying on reserve, or if it'd be wiser to just go ahead and withdraw now? My goal is UChi (already admitted, waiting on $), but I'd imagine simply being on reserve at Columbia offers no additional leverage. :| Thoughts?
Why drop off now? No real downside to staying on the list for a while, unless you're worried that you'll get in and then have a harder decision to make when you're already pretty sure you want to go to Chicago.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:20 pm

deleted.
Last edited by ZVBXRPL on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:33 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
LSAT <25TH GPA>75th
This is all that matters. You wait and you either get in or you don't.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:49 am

Nebby wrote:You wait and you either get in or you don't.
Motion to have this post stickied in its own thread in the applicants forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:32 am

Nebby wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
LSAT <25TH GPA>75th
This is all that matters. You wait and you either get in or you don't.
Re-take the LSAT and re-apply.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Kaziende wrote:
+1

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm

BoyJord wrote:
Kaziende wrote:
+1
Ha

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
You're not understanding the timeline. The vast majority of biglaw hiring happens at the Early Interview Program the first week of August before the start of your 2L year (other schools call it OCI for On-Campus Interview program, at Columbia it's EIP), which is a massive program organized by the Career Services office where hundreds of firms conduct screening interviews in a hotel in Times Square for summer associate positions the following summer. At that point, you've only taken mandatory classes and a 1L elective, which can be something related to a particular practice area or not (almost definitely not, but in 1L it really, really doesn't matter). You'll be asked at the screeners what kind of practice areas you're interested in, and at that point you can talk about your interest in capital markets or securities litigation or whatever, but nothing you've done academically at that point is relevant. The only possible exception is IP, since if you want to do hard IP, you usually need a hard science background from undergrad/other grad school, and IP firms will ask about that.

There are other smaller OCI programs every spring and again in the Fall for 3Ls, and at that point they might ask about your courses, but the subject matter is still of pretty limited importance.
yeah, that is useful. i have a science and engineering background but may want to switch to a public service law area (such as civil rights law or employment law) after LS. If one is looks mainly for govt positions, what kind of government jobs one can get to work in public-private or tri-sector partnerships in the civil division area (say, IP law or administrative law) after LS? If one has no pre-LS experience in civil rights or employment law related matters, how easy is it to convince those recruiting to get such job in government?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:09 pm

appind wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

yeah, that is useful. i have a science and engineering background but may want to switch to a public service law area (such as civil rights law or employment law) after LS. If one is looks mainly for govt positions, what kind of government jobs one can get to work in public-private or tri-sector partnerships in the civil division area (say, IP law or administrative law) after LS? If one has no pre-LS experience in civil rights or employment law related matters, how easy is it to convince those recruiting to get such job in government?
This is not the appropriate thread for that question. I'd recommend starting a new thread in the Legal Employment forum.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:24 pm

There's a Blink fitness 15 minutes from school which is 15 a month.

If dodge is half as bad as people say I'm taking my talents to Blink.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:There's a Blink fitness 15 minutes from school which is 15 a month.

What type of lifting do you do?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:There's a Blink fitness 15 minutes from school which is 15 a month.

Nothing olympic/crazy, the standard deadlift/squat/bench and iso excercises.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Probably won't like Blink. From its yelp photos, it appears to only have hex plates which are awful for deadlift.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:31 am

Just try Dodge first before you get a membership anywhere. One of my friends signed up for NYSC the first day (because everyone said Dodge sucks) and he went once. He goes to Dodge everyday.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

I went to Columbia as an undergraduate and used Dodge quite often
However, it does get crowded VERY quickly given how small the gym is... plus the equipment is oooold

I started lifting quite a lot too over the last year and if i do decide to go to CLS, would probably pay extra to get a more proper gym with less crowded equipment

if you want a training partner, im also down to help spot!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Probably won't like Blink. From its yelp photos, it appears to only have hex plates which are awful for deadlift.

DCfilterDC wrote:

Just try Dodge first before you get a membership anywhere. One of my friends signed up for NYSC the first day (because everyone said Dodge sucks) and he went once. He goes to Dodge everyday.

I'll definitely give Dodge a try first and then try out the gyms around it.

I also know NYSC really isn't that bad, in general.

jpark86 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

However, it does get crowded VERY quickly given how small the gym is... plus the equipment is oooold

I started lifting quite a lot too over the last year and if i do decide to go to CLS, would probably pay extra to get a more proper gym with less crowded equipment

For sure, if you decide to come, let me know!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

DCfilterDC wrote:

I'll definitely give Dodge a try first and then try out the gyms around it.

I also know NYSC really isn't that bad, in general.

jpark86 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

For sure, if you decide to come, let me know!
i actually use NYSC right now and its great because you can get a $10 student discount from the monthly rate
also you get access to all NYSCs in the state

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Question to current students

I am a NY resident and will most likely end up staying in the city for law school. I've heard mixed comments about this but do you think its worth living on campus or nearby Columbia during 1L? I do understand I would be spending a lot of time in the library and wouldn't want to waste time and energy commuting to Midtown (where I live now).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:30 pm

jpark86 wrote:Question to current students

I am a NY resident and will most likely end up staying in the city for law school. I've heard mixed comments about this but do you think its worth living on campus or nearby Columbia during 1L? I do understand I would be spending a lot of time in the library and wouldn't want to waste time and energy commuting to Midtown (where I live now).
I think it's better to live in the vicinity of the school but not worth doing if you have a good setup as is. Especially if you're only in midtown as opposed to Brooklyn or somewhere else much farther away.

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jpark86 wrote:Question to current students

I think it's better to live in the vicinity of the school but not worth doing if you have a good setup as is. Especially if you're only in midtown as opposed to Brooklyn or somewhere else much farther away.
my lease ends in August anyway so the timing works out perfectly
guess I will apply for student housing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”