Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:00 pm

TheoO wrote:Is there any time between graduation and bar study? Like a week period when you can maybe do a short trip? How quickly do you need to head into studying so that you can be ready by time of the exam?
You got plenty of time. I had to move out to the west coast and didn't start studying until around June 10th. Earlier is always better but as long as you put in a good 4 or 5 weeks you'll be fine.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 am

Do most people stay in their housing/apartments during the summer? The school doesn't give you loans to cover that time, right? So otherwise you just sublet it for the 3/4 month period?

I feel like it would be really uncomfortable having to move all your furniture and stuff out and then back in after a few months.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Do most people stay in their housing/apartments during the summer? The school doesn't give you loans to cover that time, right? So otherwise you just sublet it for the 3/4 month period?

I feel like it would be really uncomfortable having to move all your furniture and stuff out and then back in after a few months.
Depends on what you do in the summer. If you're interning in NY then it makes sense to stay in your place

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Do most people stay in their housing/apartments during the summer? The school doesn't give you loans to cover that time, right? So otherwise you just sublet it for the 3/4 month period?

Depends on what you do in the summer. If you're interning in NY then it makes sense to stay in your place

How to pay off the rent, though? Have you guys been able to get some sort of stipends/ are the internships paid at all?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

How to pay off the rent, though? Have you guys been able to get some sort of stipends/ are the internships paid at all?
You get a summer stipend if you're doing summer/PI and if you're doing law firm... well then you're getting paid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

You get a summer stipend if you're doing summer/PI and if you're doing law firm... well then you're getting paid.
Thanks for the info!

I am realistic about 1L and know chances of an SA position are very minimal, how are the stipends for fed internships? Where do most people internship/work at their first summer?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:17 am

1L summer funding is $4500, but after taxes I only got ~$3900, which didn't even cover my rent for the summer. Definitely try to have some savings built up if you're planning to go the NYC PI route 1L summer.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:51 am

White Dwarf wrote:1L summer funding is $4500, but after taxes I only got ~$3900, which didn't even cover my rent for the summer. Definitely try to have some savings built up if you're planning to go the NYC PI route 1L summer.
There isn't much choice though, no? 1L SA will be available to very few people. Are there other, in-between options?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:1L summer funding is $4500, but after taxes I only got ~$3900, which didn't even cover my rent for the summer. Definitely try to have some savings built up if you're planning to go the NYC PI route 1L summer.
There isn't much choice though, no? 1L SA will be available to very few people. Are there other, in-between options?
I made like 7500 working in house. A decent variety of stuff comes available especially if you are willing to wait into March. But people tend to understandably panic so that they have something lined up and can be done with the job search early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
You have about $21.5k in cost of living loans. I have faith you're competent enough to figure out how to budget accordingly to ensure you have rent covered throughout the year

candlemantel

New

Post by candlemantel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Hey guys,

How feasible is it for a 1L (who is single) to get a studio for housing?

Are the chances higher applying for law school housing vs only doing UAH?

And for that matter, does anyone know if there is a way to denote on the housing app that my first priority is having a studio, over which kind of building I am in, even if I do apply for law school housing?

Thanks!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm

candlemantel wrote:Hey guys,

And for that matter, does anyone know if there is a way to denote on the housing app that my first priority is having a studio, over which kind of building I am in, even if I do apply for law school housing?

Thanks!
Likelihood of a studio is pretty low, because (1) couples are prioritized; and (2) demand generally exceeds availability.

You can denote that a studio is your first priority on the housing app.

Also look for studios via craigslist if you really want one.

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks!
I got a studio and I know a couple other 1Ls that got one as well. I applied UAH. You can designate your preference but that doesn't guarantee anything at all. Your chances definitely aren't great, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 pm

ugg wrote:

Thanks!
I got a studio and I know a couple other 1Ls that got one as well. I applied UAH. You can designate your preference but that doesn't guarantee anything at all. Your chances definitely aren't great, though.
If you do law school housing, email Juliana Utley, the housing coordinator, when you send in your housing questionnaire. She doesn't respond usually but she does read the emails (so I'm told at least). Also, if you're willing to pay more for it, Lenfest is mostly studios (and the 1-bedrooms aren't typically available to single students), so if you specify you want to be there in your email, you definitely increase your chances of getting one.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks!
I put a studio in Lenfest #1 and got it. And I don't know anyone who tried to get Lenfest that didn't get it.

Orion311

Bronze

Post by Orion311 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Hello,
HLS student here. A friend and I are looking for a summer sublet in New York. We are interested in 2BR and 3BR places and are hoping to find somewhere for mid-May through early August (but dates are flexible). If you are looking to sublet or know of someone who's looking to sublet, please pm me.

Thank you!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:27 pm

So I went to the Columbia bookstore today and guess what - they didn't have ANY Columbia Law hoodies and said they aren't sure when they are getting them.

All they had was two different types of Columbia Law t shirts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 am

Thelaw23 wrote:So I went to the Columbia bookstore today and guess what - they didn't have ANY Columbia Law hoodies and said they aren't sure when they are getting them.

All they had was two different types of Columbia Law t shirts.
Boooo :(

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

Right =/

Anyway guys, anyone have advice on if asking for Law School Housing on the housing application? The proximity to the school seems great, but I really want to try and maximize my chances of getting a studio. Should I not ask for Law School Housing then?

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 am

Hi all - Accepted student and very likely incoming 1L here (still waiting on some other responses, but CLS was my #1). Another question about housing...

I've been living in NYC for a few years now but pretty far away from Columbia, so I'm planning on moving. Would you recommend taking advantage of the guaranteed housing, or would it be worth it to look for off-campus housing nearby, since I have the time (if not the motivation) to do an apartment search? I figure the pros for CLS housing include cheaper relative rent (is this corroborated?), proximity to JG, and (maybe?) a greater sense of community -- but the con is being unable to meet potential roommates or see/choose the apartment in advance. I guess I'm just a bit wary about jumping in blind...

And for those who do choose CLS housing, would you recommend going with law school-only or general UAH? I'm thinking the 400 block, with Lionsgate as a second preference. Would love to be PM'ed photos too, if possible!

Thanks everyone for all your advice on the thread, by the way! So helpful! :)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am

Dr_OIT wrote:Hi all - Accepted student and very likely incoming 1L here (still waiting on some other responses, but CLS was my #1). Another question about housing...

I've been living in NYC for a few years now but pretty far away from Columbia, so I'm planning on moving. Would you recommend taking advantage of the guaranteed housing, or would it be worth it to look for off-campus housing nearby, since I have the time (if not the motivation) to do an apartment search? I figure the pros for CLS housing include cheaper relative rent (is this corroborated?), proximity to JG, and (maybe?) a greater sense of community -- but the con is being unable to meet potential roommates or see/choose the apartment in advance. I guess I'm just a bit wary about jumping in blind...

And for those who do choose CLS housing, would you recommend going with law school-only or general UAH? I'm thinking the 400 block, with Lionsgate as a second preference. Would love to be PM'ed photos too, if possible!

UAH is the better deal in my opinion.

If you're familiar with the area and want something outside of law school/UAH housing Harlem is probably the best option. Don't know much about Washington Heights and other areas north. South I really doubt you'll get anything nearly as cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 am

GoneSouth wrote:
I put a studio in Lenfest #1 and got it. And I don't know anyone who tried to get Lenfest that didn't get it.
+1. Getting a studio is more or less just contingent on you willing to pay for a studio.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:Hi all - Accepted student and very likely incoming 1L here (still waiting on some other responses, but CLS was my #1). Another question about housing...

UAH is the better deal in my opinion.

If you're familiar with the area and want something outside of law school/UAH housing Harlem is probably the best option. Don't know much about Washington Heights and other areas north. South I really doubt you'll get anything nearly as cheap.
Don't be like me. Go UAH. I have literally never met anybody who was glad he/she went with law school housing on the 400 block. Most people stay because of inertia but most people are also at least somewhat dissatisfied.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Lenfest and Lionsgate studio pricing is insane....

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Lenfest and Lionsgate studio pricing is insane....
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”