UC Hastings Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lisavj

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Post by lisavj » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:16 pm

tbh12 wrote:Hi everyone! I've been admitted to Hastings and if I were to attend, I would be looking at about a 45min-1hr commute each way. How is commuter life at Hastings? Does the school provide commuter resources? Is it harder to excel in law school as a commuter?
I commuted from Walnut Creek for a year before transferring. I used public transit and read but it was hard for sure. That said COL is much better in the east bay, so.

Silver Fox

New

Post by Silver Fox » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:29 am

tbh12 wrote:Hi everyone! I've been admitted to Hastings and if I were to attend, I would be looking at about a 45min-1hr commute each way. How is commuter life at Hastings? Does the school provide commuter resources? Is it harder to excel in law school as a commuter?
A lot of us are commuters. 45 minute to 1 hour is very doable. You can't study 24/7 anyway so take it as a break from studying. Commuter life is non-existent. You go to classes and leave pretty much. Not harder to excel in law school, but it is extremely annoying when the professors treat your schedule as if you're around the campus and available to cater to their whimsical scheduling needs 24/7.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Here’s a list we’ve created of pass rates for first-time takers on the February 2017 administration of the exam for all ABA-accredited California law schools that had 11 or more test-takers for the exam. Take a look:

Santa Clara: 69 percent
Loyola (LA): 67 percent
Western State: 67 percent
UCLA: 64 percent
Pepperdine: 59 percent
U. San Diego: 53 percent
McGeorge: 50 percent
STATEWIDE AVERAGE: 45 PERCENT
California Western: 45 percent
Golden Gate: 33 percent
U. San Francisco: 31 percent
UC Hastings: 27 percent
Southwestern: 24 percent
Thomas Jefferson: 24 percent
http://abovethelaw.com/2017/06/californ ... uary-2017/

Hmm... Well, I am doing my part to get the word out to the students on proper bar prep, even if the deans dismissed me.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 pm

^^ holy hell

NewUser_2017

New

Post by NewUser_2017 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm

a male human wrote:
Here’s a list we’ve created of pass rates for first-time takers on the February 2017 administration of the exam for all ABA-accredited California law schools that had 11 or more test-takers for the exam. Take a look:

Hmm... Well, I am doing my part to get the word out to the students on proper bar prep, even if the deans dismissed me.

27%...what the hell is going on at Hastings?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm

conker wrote:Hey, I wanted to reach out. I think SF the best city in the country. I would love to move there. Being a lawyer is also my dream. Anyway, this is about Hastings.

I have been getting in the mid-170s on the LSAT PTs. With my terrible GPA (2.75), I am looking at potentially getting into Northwestern, or probably a T20. I do not want to live in Chicago as much as SF, though. I also have had a ton of experience in non-profits and startups, as well as in volunteering in law firms (1000 hours).

Do you think I should consider going to Hastings for a shot at public interest in SF after graduation? I am really concerned with getting a lawyer job with a livable wage ($45k) out of Hastings.

I also have an engineering degree (chemical, not electrical) and wonder if this would factor into potentially getting an entry-level patent or IP position in a start-up post-graduation. Do you know anyone at Hastings with an engineering degree who I could ask questions?

I really appreciate your time and concern : )
Hey conker,

My impression is that Hastings is pretty big on PI. They appear to place well in PI-type jobs, and depending on what you do, you could make a decent income. I think the Oakland PD office starts out at $80k or something. And with the loan forgiveness program, a job like that would put you ahead a lot of private practitioners.

I'm a patent attorney with a bioengineering background (and a shit GPA), so I know all too well the struggle of finding work in the patent field. ChemE is going to be an uphill battle unless you have an advanced degree (Master's+). Also, startup gigs will be difficult to get, at least for a full-time position. There are some bio/chem companies around the Bay Area (fewer than high-tech companies), so you might get a short-term position. I summer interned for Solazyme, now TerraVia. However, startups and companies in general typically want someone with solid experience. And firms will generally prefer someone with EE/CS/physics. However, the most important is demonstrating your commitment to IP and your ability to flexibly handle and learn new technologies because that'll be your whole job.

Pick one path and stick with it.

If you want to do patents and don't mind the lower ranking (i.e., fewer biglaw opportunities), Santa Clara might be a better choice. You'll probably get a better scholarship and even have a much higher chance of passing the bar so you can actually practice law (see above posts).

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Edited: Google is my friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CALaw717

New

Post by CALaw717 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:02 am

a male human wrote:

The comment isn't correct. Before listing the figures, the OP wrote that these are pass rates for 1st time test takers. The actual quote directly from the Above the Law article is below and as you can see, it's only required that 11+ people from a particular school took the exam,and all 11+ could actually have been all 2nd time test takers. Of course it's still a terrible number, but some schools listed above could've had many 1st time test takers factored into their figures and Hastings could've had all repeat test takers. Here's the ATL quote: "We now pass that information along to our readers, with the caveat that it only includes California law schools that had at least 11 first-time and repeat takers, or no first-time takers and at least 11 repeat takers. The Bar disseminates information in this manner to help shield the identities of graduates of law schools that had fewer test-takers during each administration of the bar exam." If I'm allowed to post the link, it's here: http://abovethelaw.com/2017/06/californ ... 2017/?rf=1

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:19 am

CALaw717 wrote:
a male human wrote:

The comment isn't correct. Before listing the figures, the OP wrote that these are pass rates for 1st time test takers. The actual quote directly from the Above the Law article is below and as you can see, it's only required that 11+ people from a particular school took the exam,and all 11+ could actually have been all 2nd time test takers. Of course it's still a terrible number, but some schools listed above could've had many 1st time test takers factored into their figures and Hastings could've had all repeat test takers. Here's the ATL quote: "We now pass that information along to our readers, with the caveat that it only includes California law schools that had at least 11 first-time and repeat takers, or no first-time takers and at least 11 repeat takers. The Bar disseminates information in this manner to help shield the identities of graduates of law schools that had fewer test-takers during each administration of the bar exam." If I'm allowed to post the link, it's here: http://abovethelaw.com/2017/06/californ ... 2017/?rf=1
Forgive me if I'm a little confused here. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that there are two sets of figures here: ones that only have first timers (the list above) and ones that have a mix (not shown).

And I think you're trying to say that Hastings is unfairly represented here because there's the possibility that Hastings had more repeat takers (with a historically lower average likelihood of passing).

But the list above is still a list of pass rates for first timers for the schools that had 11 or more test takers (i.e., the major schools with large classes). By narrowing to first timers, wouldn't it make it a fair representation of the pass rates? Maybe I'm still missing something here.

That said, page 2 of the article has detailed statistics: http://abovethelaw.com/2017/06/californ ... ry-2017/2/

I remember Hastings was pretty good with its repeater pass rates. I see it's still the same in that regard. 48% in total (first timers and repeaters combined) passed, which is better and appears to be on par with similar schools.

CALaw717

New

Post by CALaw717 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:03 am

a male human wrote:
CALaw717 wrote:
a male human wrote:

Forgive me if I'm a little confused here. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that there are two sets of figures here: ones that only have first timers (the list above) and ones that have a mix (not shown).

And I think you're trying to say that Hastings is unfairly represented here because there's the possibility that Hastings had more repeat takers (with a historically lower average likelihood of passing).

But the list above is still a list of pass rates for first timers for the schools that had 11 or more test takers (i.e., the major schools with large classes). By narrowing to first timers, wouldn't it make it a fair representation of the pass rates? Maybe I'm still missing something here.

That said, page 2 of the article has detailed statistics: http://abovethelaw.com/2017/06/californ ... ry-2017/2/

I remember Hastings was pretty good with its repeater pass rates. I see it's still the same in that regard. 48% in total (first timers and repeaters combined) passed, which is better and appears to be on par with similar schools.
Thanks for the response and for correcting me. I didn't notice below the author's name/bio on Page 1 that there was actually a 2nd page to the article with the more detailed info, and you're right. The way it was displayed and written on the 1st page, we didn't have enough information to be able to fairly compare the listed schools, but that question is answered with the additional detail on Page 2.

I'm attending Hastings as a 1L in the fall and wanted to add some updated info - as a new requirement, they'll now require 3 bar-tested courses to be taken after 1L year: Con Law II, Criminal Procedure, and Evidence. While this does take away some coursework choice flexibility, it's a step in the right direction in addressing the poor bar passage numbers. Schools lower ranked than Hastings that have higher bar passage numbers largely attain these figures by limiting upper-level coursework choice flexibility, requiring all students to take several bar-tested courses. Some have said attending those schools is like attending 3 years of bar-test prep. Possibly if Hastings returns to attracting an incoming class where the median LSAT score's into the 160s, they can again make these required courses optional.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:08 am

That's a step in the right direction. I hope I didn't cause you to regret choosing Hastings, as it wasn't my intent. There are good things going on in there as well. Best of luck there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CALaw717

New

Post by CALaw717 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm

a male human wrote:That's a step in the right direction. I hope I didn't cause you to regret choosing Hastings, as it wasn't my intent. There are good things going on in there as well. Best of luck there!
Thanks, and I'll be the first to admit that attending Hastings at this time at, or near, full tuition is a risky proposition. They're offering larger scholarships than in recent years past, and I'll attend on a significant scholarship.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:04 pm

CALaw717 wrote:
a male human wrote:That's a step in the right direction. I hope I didn't cause you to regret choosing Hastings, as it wasn't my intent. There are good things going on in there as well. Best of luck there!
Thanks, and I'll be the first to admit that attending Hastings at this time at, or near, full tuition is a risky proposition. They're offering larger scholarships than in recent years past, and I'll attend on a significant scholarship.
Depending on the type of work one wants to do, attending Hastings is a risky proposition period. I'm happy with my outcome, but it was a dumb and unnecessary risk to take.

pixy22

New

Post by pixy22 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Does anyone have any tips on being top 10%? I will be attending hastings as a 1L this fall but hoping to transfer to berkeley/ucla. Any advice would be great appreciated.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:48 pm

pixy22 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on being top 10%? I will be attending hastings as a 1L this fall but hoping to transfer to berkeley/ucla. Any advice would be great appreciated.
There is no way to guarantee this. You can study your ass off and still not be top 10%. I have no clue how I got the grades I did. Sure I studied hard, read everything, read some supplemental things, had a study group. But folks in my study group who worked just as hard didn't do as well. And one dude who I know slacked off and was just hella smart kicked everyone's butt but my own (he would agree with and affirm this statement). That's the problem with law school. It is somewhat of a black box.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 pm

pixy22 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on being top 10%? I will be attending hastings as a 1L this fall but hoping to transfer to berkeley/ucla. Any advice would be great appreciated.
There's probably an entire sticky on this somewhere.

However, my unsolicited advice is to stop asking such overbroad questions. If you ask someone this question the way you phrased it, the other person (if they respond at all) will give you an answer that is so general as to be useless, or so lengthy as to be overwhelming (perhaps causing you to ignore the answer yourself). Or you get a safe, one-size-fits-all answer that’s applicable to the average person, like a horoscope. It’s pretty good starting information (not useful insights) that’s relatively easy to find elsewhere.

The most irritating thing about questions like this (having been the receiving end of many similar questions for "any advice?" one-liners) is that this probably took you 15 seconds to throw out this very generic question while you expected someone to spend 15+ minutes giving you the one weird trick that doesn't exist that will magically get you to UCLA... that you'll either ignore or simply say "thank youuu" to and then do nothing about it.

Once you get to law school, you will be doing a lot of outreach to have one-on-one conversations (for things such as "informational interviews" and "networking" and "picking their brain"... ugh don't say the last one). If you want to do better than everyone else, make your call to action compelling.

pixy22

New

Post by pixy22 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Sorry for my broad question (new to online posting :). I'll try to be more specific in the future. There is a pretty detailed suggested summer reading/prep list posted by the dean. The list includes the barbri law preview, and it looks like a couple 1Ls will be attending the law preview. Did any current students/alums do law preview? Was it worth it? I realize that the consensus on law preview is that law preview isn't worth it. But I was wondering if it makes more of a difference for schools like UC Hastings.

I was really disappointed to learn about the low bar passage rate. I'm planning on reading getting to maybe, 1L of a ride, this summer. I also ordered some of the recommended supplements on this forum (E&Es for contracts, civil procedure, torts,and property). I'm planning on skimming the supplements at least. Do you think reading the supplements would help later on grade-wise? I'm basically trying to follow the advice of http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=157251

Do you think Plain English for Lawyers is worth it (one of the dean's recommended books)? Also, how does grading for the legal writing class work? I know at some schools, it is pass-fail?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 pm

pixy22 wrote:Sorry for my broad question (new to online posting :). I'll try to be more specific in the future. There is a pretty detailed suggested summer reading/prep list posted by the dean. The list includes the barbri law preview, and it looks like a couple 1Ls will be attending the law preview. Did any current students/alums do law preview? Was it worth it? I realize that the consensus on law preview is that law preview isn't worth it. But I was wondering if it makes more of a difference for schools like UC Hastings.

I was really disappointed to learn about the low bar passage rate. I'm planning on reading getting to maybe, 1L of a ride, this summer. I also ordered some of the recommended supplements on this forum (E&Es for contracts, civil procedure, torts,and property). I'm planning on skimming the supplements at least. Do you think reading the supplements would help later on grade-wise? I'm basically trying to follow the advice of http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=157251

Do you think Plain English for Lawyers is worth it (one of the dean's recommended books)? Also, how does grading for the legal writing class work? I know at some schools, it is pass-fail?
It was a few years ago for me, so I haven't had the chance to take law preview, something that wasn't offered to my class (of 2013). But I think anything that helps you prepare for the bar would be helpful, especially with Hastings' pass rate. I would also recommend studying on your own on how to best succeed on the final exams, such as perfecting IRAC, issue identification, time managment, etc.

I read Getting to Maybe very carefully over the pre-1L summer. However, it made me too "creative" on the exams, which hurt my grades. What matters is identifying all the relevant issues and rules and analyzing them intelligently. I think what would have helped me most was to talk to actual 2Ls or 3Ls who were successful (under top 5% but above 25%), and convince them to teach you how they did it (ask them what they did, not what they suggest you do). I say under top 5% because the "natural geniuses" don't know what they did to become top 1% and will tell you (i.e., told me) things like "pay attention in class" and "just do practice exams." That topic you linked is an exception, it seems like.

Supplements are good for mini hypos that apply the law. As a 1L, I used to be stubborn about figuring it all out on my own, and that also made it harder to acclimate to the whole law school thing (as a hard sciences guy). Just reading the supplements won't get you an A, although they're helpful regardless for understanding the rules. Ask those upperclassmen how they used theirs, too.

I like Plain English for Lawyers and do recommend that people read it in general (including the bar students I coach). People think that using big words and long sentences and trying to sound intellectual helps them. It does not.

I feel bad for making you the victim when you only happened to be the Xth person to make it hard to answer a question, so there's my semi-detailed response in repentance :)
Last edited by a male human on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:02 pm

I did absolutely nothing before 1L and did really well. I get a feeling that most stuff is not very helpful and gimmicky. Though I can't say for sure because I didn't read any. I recommend e&es for when you don't understand a topic but not to read prior to the course.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BottomOfTotem

New

Post by BottomOfTotem » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 am

pixy22 wrote:Sorry for my broad question (new to online posting :). I'll try to be more specific in the future. There is a pretty detailed suggested summer reading/prep list posted by the dean. The list includes the barbri law preview, and it looks like a couple 1Ls will be attending the law preview. Did any current students/alums do law preview? Was it worth it? I realize that the consensus on law preview is that law preview isn't worth it. But I was wondering if it makes more of a difference for schools like UC Hastings.

I'm a rising 2L at Hastings, who, like you, had a lot of questions and uncertainty going into 1L. Don't know if you're in SF, but if so, I'd be willing to meet for coffee and chat about things I did to prepare and succeed in my first year (I did quite well). If not in the area, PM me and I can answer questions.

Also, the above advice is good.

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Also a rising 2L who did really well. Happy to chat via PM if you have questions.

Here was my road map of sorts:

Don't worry about doing anything during this summer, just enjoy yourself.
Fall - reach out to the ASP people and go in and make friends with the people there in the first few weeks (e.g. I was able to get a ton of M/C for contracts from them and a copy of a past Crim Law exam from my professor who had no answers posted online). They will be able to get you finals from past students that Aced the exam of the professor you have.

The best advice I can give you is to use the supplements once you're midway through the classes to start getting your outline down, then use your class notes to tweak based on how your professor is teaching. Some professors use specific terms, or teach doctrine a little differently and want it their way.
As soon as you have some of the basic concepts down (usually about a month into the course) start trying out the past exams the professor has online (I usually saved the most recent one for the very end). Take the answers you have written out to your professor's office hours and ask him what s/he thinks, is this a good answer, why/why not. Usually they'll suggest some language tweaks. Remember those! (they will give you an idea of their idiosyncrasies).

Use your LWR professor, go to their office hours as much as you can and keep giving them drafts of your writing, don't be afraid to e-mail them snippets as well with "here's what I'm trying to do, does this work?"

Also, try to find 1-2 ppl that you mesh well studying wise and who have slightly different strengths than you. You will help each other, but don't do the "one person will each do an outline of a class and we'll swap." The best value from outlines is actually doing the work yourself (but it doesn't mean you can't start with someone elses and tweak to how it works for you).

Lastly, don't get burned out, it's a marathon not a sprint. It's extremely possible to do really well and still be able to enjoy yourself at night. I had an hour + commute, and was still able to get all of my stuff done by about 4/5pm and hang out with friends/SO most nights. For reference, I had a sub 2.5 uGPA and ended up with above 4.0 for my 1L year.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:50 pm

aj1221 wrote:I had an hour + commute, and was still able to get all of my stuff done by about 4/5pm and hang out with friends/SO most nights. For reference, I had a sub 2.5 uGPA and ended up with above 4.0 for my 1L year.
Wow, kudos!

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks - for context I took a long break (4+ yrs) between undergrad and law school, definitely wouldn't have been able to do that if i was K-JD. Also took Caltrain so the was able to study during the commute, didn't mean to overstate the circumstances.

Mainly I think as long as ppl structure their time well (ie no social media/redditing/TLS during the day) it's definitely possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”