USC 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cheesy145

New

Re: USC 1L Taking Questions

Post by cheesy145 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 pm

I had a question about apartments in SoCal: for looking for apartments can you just use websites like craigslist or do you have to go through a broker?

I know for NYC and other urban areas all the craigslist ads are scams so you need to use a broker.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:34 pm

grantb134 wrote:I had a question about apartments in SoCal: for looking for apartments can you just use websites like craigslist or do you have to go through a broker?

I know for NYC and other urban areas all the craigslist ads are scams so you need to use a broker.
You don't need a broker. Use padmapper (incorporates craigslist listings) and just reach out to popular buildings' leasing agents.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:44 pm

why would u go to a school that charges 55,000 a year, more then Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, UChicago, Duke, and many more schools?

Sc charges more than those schools yet the employment outcomes are not nearly as stellar and you still have a lot of unemployed grads + shitlaw as well. Doesn't make sense to attend SC. Would rather go to UCLA at sticker or UCI with a scholarship than test my luck at an overpriced commode. Just saying........

A lot of other schools have way better employment stats(Minnesota,Emory,WUSTL,ND,Illinois,BC,BU,Fordham)

WHy spend the 55k a year or anything over 40k for SC? you that desperate to live in LA?

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:10 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:why would u go to a school that charges 55,000 a year, more then Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, UChicago, Duke, and many more schools?

Sc charges more than those schools yet the employment outcomes are not nearly as stellar and you still have a lot of unemployed grads + shitlaw as well. Doesn't make sense to attend SC. Would rather go to UCLA at sticker or UCI with a scholarship than test my luck at an overpriced commode. Just saying........

A lot of other schools have way better employment stats(Minnesota,Emory,WUSTL,ND,Illinois,BC,BU,Fordham)

WHy spend the 55k a year or anything over 40k for SC? you that desperate to live in LA?
I mean, I think you know that the schools you listed (Minnesota, Emory, WUSTL, ND, Illinois, BC, BU, Fordham) would all have a much tougher time placing students in Los Angeles than USC would. Someone who wants to work in LA or California would have good reason to pick USC over all of those schools. Employment rates are not something you can just look at without context.

Also, someone who gets into Yale isn't paying sticker at USC. I think you know that too. So that's a silly argument to make as well. Comparing its costs to UCLA and UCI (I guess) makes some sense, though.

I wonder why you sound so mad at USC.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:26 am

I am deciding whether I should matriculate, but I barely know anything about USC. Is there a current student or graduate on here who can take questions?

ETA: Thanks for taking questions via pms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:15 pm

I am weighing USC and UCLA right now and am wondering if there are any current USC or alums that dealt with the same decision. I'd like to hear the argument for USC over UCLA, I am rather torn between the two right now. It seems USC is a friendlier place with a much better atmosphere about the alums, UCLA seems more academic, but I'm basing this off of out of state receptions, I won't be able to visit the campus until a few days before the deposit deadline so I'm trying to get as much info as possible now.

ETA: PM if more comfortable.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:04 pm

I graduated within the last few years. Willing to answer questions about the school, etc., but not going to go into much detail about my own personal situation. Also, feel free to pm me with any questions.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Hello. A quick question: Can I ask where is a good place to live? I wanted to check out some neighborhoods during ASW this weekend. Thanks !!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:33 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Hello. A quick question: Can I ask where is a good place to live? I wanted to check out some neighborhoods during ASW this weekend. Thanks !!
I saw people mentioning Culver City in another thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:24 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Hello. A quick question: Can I ask where is a good place to live? I wanted to check out some neighborhoods during ASW this weekend. Thanks !!
Its 100% up to personal preference. What things are most important to you in a place to live?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:12 pm

chimp wrote:
Its 100% up to personal preference. What things are most important to you in a place to live?
Two things: Cheap and close to campus.
I really don't want to fight the LA traffic every day. Accessible by public transportation? A young neighborhood.

Thank you!!

Traffic is what most worries me the most. I would like to minimize the time I spend in commuting, but I do not necessarily want to live near undergrads.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
chimp wrote:
I really don't want to fight the LA traffic every day. Accessible by public transportation? A young neighborhood.

Thank you!!

Traffic is what most worries me the most. I would like to minimize the time I spend in commuting, but I do not necessarily want to live near undergrads.
Not sure exactly what you consider to be cheap, but DTLA and Culver City ( especially if you live near the Culver city Metro Expo line and/or entrance to the 10 freeway) seem to be popular options. Also Koreatown and Mid City may have some good options. There are so many possibilities in LA that it can get ovewhelming, but I would start in those areas. The commute should be manageable from any of those places and you can find relatively cheap options if you look hard enough. I don't really recommend living right next to campus, as the newer buildings around campus are pretty expensive, and the older ones tend to be relatively sketch (plus there would be a lot of undergrads). Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Feel free to pm me at any point as well.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:17 pm

chimp wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
chimp wrote:

Thank you!!

Not sure exactly what you consider to be cheap, but DTLA and Culver City ( especially if you live near the Culver city Metro Expo line and/or entrance to the 10 freeway) seem to be popular options. Also Koreatown and Mid City may have some good options. There are so many possibilities in LA that it can get ovewhelming, but I would start in those areas. The commute should be manageable from any of those places and you can find relatively cheap options if you look hard enough. I don't really recommend living right next to campus, as the newer buildings around campus are pretty expensive, and the older ones tend to be relatively sketch (plus there would be a lot of undergrads). Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Feel free to pm me at any point as well.
Do you suggest craigslist, or some other search option? I know the city I went to school in the realtors near campus tended to have the most expensive options so most avoided them. Is that true in USC area?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Thank you so much @chimp !! That was really helpful, and I will be sure to check out all those places that you mentioned. Thank you !!

(and am also curious about mec's question as well)

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:28 pm

JJDancer wrote:You don't need a broker. Use padmapper (incorporates craigslist listings) and just reach out to popular buildings' leasing agents.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:43 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Thank you so much @chimp !! That was really helpful, and I will be sure to check out all those places that you mentioned. Thank you !!

(and am also curious about mec's question as well)
I would use a combination of craigslist, zillow, and padmapper, focus your search on a couple of neighborhoods/areas (this should be easier after you visit and narrow it down a bit) and do as comprehensive a search as possible until you find something that meets your needs. no need to go through a broker or anything like that (I've never heard of anyone doing that for a rental in CA). I agree with what JJDancer said.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:35 pm

^^ Thanks !!
---
Just wondering, is the cafe inside the law building any good?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:34 pm

LawsRUs wrote:^^ Thanks !!
---
Just wondering, is the cafe inside the law building any good?
To be honest, I only ate there like 2 or 3 times total. I usually ate at other places on campus or close to campus to get a break from the law school during lunch, but I remember the food being fairly good. The food options there may have changed since the last time I ate there (I didn't eat there at all 2L or 3L), so I'm probably not the best person to answer this question.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:28 pm

Some more--

- Do law students have a 24 hour access to the library? Or limited hours?
- I'm also interested in what you think about the safety issue, if it is an issue, in the immediate area adjacent to the campus.

Thank you!!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:08 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Some more--

- Do law students have a 24 hour access to the library? Or limited hours?
- I'm also interested in what you think about the safety issue, if it is an issue, in the immediate area adjacent to the campus.

Thank you!!
-Hours are limited. Access may be 24 hours a day during finals, but I don't remember because I avoided the library like the plague (law library hours and info can be found here: http://weblaw.usc.edu/library/).
-USC isn't in the best area, but the area immediately on the perimeter of campus isn't too bad at all. I would avoid walking too far away from campus in any direction (especially by yourself) at night. I didn't walk around too much, as I didn't live in the area. I basically just drove from home to the parking structure each day, and walked from the parking structure to campus never venturing too far off the beaten path by myself. Just use common sense and you'll probably be fine.

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:why would u go to a school that charges 55,000 a year, more then Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, UChicago, Duke, and many more schools?

Actually none of those schools have better employment than USC( see salary breakdowns) and very few go at sticker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:13 am

Do 1Ls get put in the same section for both fall and spring semesters?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:15 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Do 1Ls get put in the same section for both fall and spring semesters?
your section remains the same for all of 1L year (unless this has changed within the past year or so).

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 pm

Has any USC student taken Admin Law with Yoon-Ho Alex Lee? Please let me know!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Yo yo yo yo, how is the social life at SC? Do people have time to check out LA?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”