Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
magikarp

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby magikarp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:21 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.
***
Also, I am including some additional email addresses if you want to reach me (not sure what will happen with the Northwestern email address).
***
Karl Lutz


I don't know if there is anything wrong with sharing this, but you should delete his e-mail addresses



Second this - the man doesn't need his email addresses on this forum.

Gus Fring

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Gus Fring » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:31 pm

magikarp wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.
***
Also, I am including some additional email addresses if you want to reach me (not sure what will happen with the Northwestern email address).
***
Karl Lutz


I don't know if there is anything wrong with sharing this, but you should delete his e-mail addresses



Second this - the man doesn't need his email addresses on this forum.


it won't let me edit the post

magikarp

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby magikarp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Gus Fring wrote:it won't let me edit the post


oh, right - it's probably worth sending a message to a mod and asking them to do it.

sadpandayolo

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby sadpandayolo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Just came here from a long time hiatus from TLS. (1) woah this website changed. (2) wtf is happening O_o when I was there, everybody loved Lutz

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:40 am

sadpandayolo wrote:Just came here from a long time hiatus from TLS. (1) woah this website changed. (2) wtf is happening O_o when I was there, everybody loved Lutz


The website was bought by a legal recruiting company. The vast majority of the old guard users left and created their own competing website. When this exodus was occurring, they tried to spread the word and a huge wave of bans came through, admin disabled editing, and post approval became required.

As for Lutz, yeah. It's pretty odd, especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby guynourmin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:10 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.


lol

JHWigmore

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby JHWigmore » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Dean Rodriguez has done an awful thing at the cost of all future Northwestern/Pritzker Law students for his personal grudges against Lutz. It is very unmanly for Rodriguez to do so as he is stepping down, in a desperate manner to eliminate his nemesis-- Lutz.

Earlier in May, a 1L section lost its torts grade because a professor (Candice Player) plagiarized her test from a commercial prep course. Rodriguez seems to be fine with that, even if this was the second year that professor has done so to her torts class. This was apparently unfair to students who strategically dedicated time to study torts over other classes.

Lutz has been a responsible and earnest teacher from my interaction with him in and outside of his PE and M&A classes. Rodriguez apparently doesn't even know what Lutz teaches-- explaining to Lutz that there are enough new faculty members to teach "Business Associations," which Lutz hasn't taught for a long time.

Most students find Rodriguez a dean detached from the student body. He acts like a businessman-- selling the school name to Pritzker. He talks like a prophet of legal education with sophism devoid of substance. He praises his wife's MSL program whenever possible. I'm glad he is stepping down.

The law school has failed its students. I encourage applicants/admitted students to think twice before committing to Northwestern/Pritzker Law.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 am

guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.


lol


Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby guynourmin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:07 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.


lol


Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.


Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby thatlawlkid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 am

guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.


lol


Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.


Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL

YEAH, NERD! GETT'EM GUY

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby carsondalywashere » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:55 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.


lol


Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.


Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL

YEAH, NERD! GETT'EM GUY

RBP, I doubt the cost of paying Lutz was the trap motivation for his dismissal

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby carsondalywashere » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:04 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.


lol


Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.


Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL

YEAH, NERD! GETT'EM GUY

RBP, I doubt the cost of paying Lutz was the trap motivation for his dismissal

*true motivation

User avatar
Kinky John

Silver
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kinky John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:57 pm

guynourmin wrote:Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL


Well that's just not true because from the publicly available data it seems the most he made in one year as "LEO Intermittent Lecturer" was approximately $209,000. That was certainly not the second highest salary at the law school at the time. Many (if not most) full professors made more than him, in fact.

Gus Fring

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Gus Fring » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:55 pm

grades???

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Gus Fring wrote:grades???

:x

magikarp

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby magikarp » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:53 pm

srsly, registrar?

ckb614

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby ckb614 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Kinky John wrote:
guynourmin wrote:Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL


Well that's just not true because from the publicly available data it seems the most he made in one year as "LEO Intermittent Lecturer" was approximately $209,000. That was certainly not the second highest salary at the law school at the time. Many (if not most) full professors made more than him, in fact.



http://www.umsalary.info/deptsearch.php ... 7&Campus=1

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:36 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:grades???

:x

Florida, aren't you a 3L who graduated?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:grades???

:x

Florida, aren't you a 3L who graduated?


yep

User avatar
Kinky John

Silver
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kinky John » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:30 pm

ckb614 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
guynourmin wrote:Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL


Well that's just not true because from the publicly available data it seems the most he made in one year as "LEO Intermittent Lecturer" was approximately $209,000. That was certainly not the second highest salary at the law school at the time. Many (if not most) full professors made more than him, in fact.



http://www.umsalary.info/deptsearch.php ... 7&Campus=1


That's the FTE (full time equivalent). That's how the University of Michigan reports salaries. It's not what he actually earned. You have to multiply by his appointment (.27) to get what he actually earned.

Where's the petition for spring semester grades I would like to sign it

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 pm

guynourmin wrote:LOL


No clue what made you so abrasive, but it's incredibly off-putting. Could have just stated the Michigan data point (which looks like it was endowed unlike his position at NU and therefore attached to more money, so not even a good data point that you felt like you were mic dropping on) and moved on. I had a civil response to your initially intentionally provocative/hostile comment. Pretty lame, guy.

As for grades, maybe tomorrow?

User avatar
MT Cicero

Silver
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Surprised not to see more of you fine folks elsewhere on these interwebs. Also can’t believe the Lutz thing.

User avatar
czpczp

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:54 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby czpczp » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm

I heard if we tweet at D-Rod, then he will release grades.

NLawProud

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NLawProud » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 pm

czpczp wrote:I heard if we tweet at D-Rod, then he will release grades.



D-Rod only releases respected professors apparently.

User avatar
czpczp

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:54 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby czpczp » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:47 pm

grades are out



Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests