Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:27 pm

krad wrote:NU students: In all seriousness, was there one main factor that made you choose NU over all other schools to which you were admitted (assuming there were others ;))?
Major city, smallish class size, great LRAP, reputation for friendly students, mostly people my age and not straight from UG.

With my career goals, it was really hard to choose between NU and GULC, but somehow no matter how much I try to leave Chicago keeps sucking me back in.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:29 pm

manyu wrote:What are employment prospects in NY? And, during the interview, it seemed like a young campus still. Do people go out and have fun, or does Holly just drink for everyone?
As a 1L, don't comfortable speaking to the first part, but I can definitely talk about the second part.

People like to party. Sometimes I have to force others to go out, but it is definitely not just me. :lol:

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Veyron wrote:Why does your SBA suck so much?
Because not enough people voted for DF for 1L rep.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:35 pm

manyu wrote:What are employment prospects in NY? And, during the interview, it seemed like a young campus still. Do people go out and have fun, or does Holly just drink for everyone?
NU actually placed quite well in New York. Based on my last count, ~15-20% of my section took positions with V100 firms in NYC. Just about every major NY firm came on campus and those who didn't offered resume drops and did make offers (i.e. Debevoise). Compared to peer schools and browsing the TLS OCI threads of other schools, it seems as though NU students were able to land jobs somewhat above their GPA in NYC (although I think that this can largely be attributed to work experience).

furrywalls

New

Post by furrywalls » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:48 pm

I have my on-campus interview on 1/13 and will be in town on the 12th. Any hotel suggestions and is there anything going on that you know of? Will you guys even be back in town? I fly out on the 14th so I have 2 nights to check out the area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:01 pm

do all the IP students have engineering firm work experience? Or otherwise worked as scientists in some lab?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 pm

krad wrote:NU students: In all seriousness, was there one main factor that made you choose NU over all other schools to which you were admitted (assuming there were others ;))?

I heard DesertFox had a lot of other good options.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:34 pm

thegor1987 wrote:do all the IP students have engineering firm work experience? Or otherwise worked as scientists in some lab?
No.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

16K at minnesota bro, don't tell me you aren't jealous!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Holy Jesus, people pay up to live in Streeterville? As students? I always assumed it was like... I guess I never even thought about who actually lived in Streeterville. If I a) actually manage to file my application with NU, b) they accept me and c) I go there, then it will be a 100% Ukrainian Village - Chicago bus lifestyle. I know it's bullshit they yuppified Tuman's Alcohol Abuse Center but come on.

In all seriousness, do you guys do weird shit to the tourists around there? Anytime I'm in that area I somehow get like 2 or 3 martinis from Hugo's rolling, and I never much remember what follows.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

16K at minnesota bro, don't tell me you aren't jealous!
Fess up. Minnesota = St. Thomas or Hamlin?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 pm

ahduth wrote:Holy Jesus, people pay up to live in Streeterville? As students? I always assumed it was like... I guess I never even thought about who actually lived in Streeterville. If I a) actually manage to file my application with NU, b) they accept me and c) I go there, then it will be a 100% Ukrainian Village - Chicago bus lifestyle. I know it's bullshit they yuppified Tuman's Alcohol Abuse Center but come on.

In all seriousness, do you guys do weird shit to the tourists around there? Anytime I'm in that area I somehow get like 2 or 3 martinis from Hugo's rolling, and I never much remember what follows.
The people who live here are 1) NU students 2) Doctors who work at NU Memorial 3) Old lady's who dress in 1920's fashion, and then some rich people.

Condos are ridiculous but some of the apartment buildings aren't too horrible.

Though Ukrainian Village is a solid choice. I'll probably move there for next year.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:22 am

ahduth wrote:Holy Jesus, people pay up to live in Streeterville? As students? I always assumed it was like... I guess I never even thought about who actually lived in Streeterville. If I a) actually manage to file my application with NU, b) they accept me and c) I go there, then it will be a 100% Ukrainian Village - Chicago bus lifestyle. I know it's bullshit they yuppified Tuman's Alcohol Abuse Center but come on.

River west>Ukranian village. Not as far out, just as cheap, and closer to the blue line.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manyu

New

Post by manyu » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Is there also a Purple Line? As a colorblind person (whose hardest distinction is blue-purple) I did a lot of second guessing during my 48 hours in Chicago. They really should be more sensitive to my burdensome disability.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:31 pm

furrywalls wrote:I have my on-campus interview on 1/13 and will be in town on the 12th. Any hotel suggestions and is there anything going on that you know of? Will you guys even be back in town? I fly out on the 14th so I have 2 nights to check out the area.
i saw a flyer at mcclurg that said the double tree is $87 a night for people who are visiting mcclurg residents, so i would try calling them and see if they'll cut you that deal. there are like a million hotels around the school though, so it should be easy to find a lot of other options. when i went i used priceline name your own price and got something pretty close.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 pm

manyu wrote:Is there also a Purple Line? As a colorblind person (whose hardest distinction is blue-purple) I did a lot of second guessing during my 48 hours in Chicago. They really should be more sensitive to my burdensome disability.
There is a purple line--it takes commuters to and from Evanston in the morning and around close of business. Confusing the blue and purple shouldn't be an issue. Neither should underpants gnomes. Just to be safe, though, bring a 9mm.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:34 pm

IAFG wrote:
furrywalls wrote:I have my on-campus interview on 1/13 and will be in town on the 12th. Any hotel suggestions and is there anything going on that you know of? Will you guys even be back in town? I fly out on the 14th so I have 2 nights to check out the area.
i saw a flyer at mcclurg that said the double tree is $87 a night for people who are visiting mcclurg residents, so i would try calling them and see if they'll cut you that deal. there are like a million hotels around the school though, so it should be easy to find a lot of other options. when i went i used priceline name your own price and got something pretty close.
and whatever you do, DO NOT go out drinking with 1Ls the night before.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 pm

How is parking around the law school? Feasible at all? Should I even bother bringing my car?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm

I challenge all you NUers to wear UofChicago sweatshirts to your classes.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:47 pm

Ragged wrote:I challenge all you NUers to wear UofChicago sweatshirts to your classes.
Lots of people went there for UG and there's really no sense of rivalry. This wouldn't arouse any response.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:48 pm

IAFG wrote:
Ragged wrote:I challenge all you NUers to wear UofChicago sweatshirts to your classes.
Lots of people went there for UG and there's really no sense of rivalry. This wouldn't arouse any response.
"Oh my cousin went to UIC do you know him?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
Is there a big rival for NU? Some school shirts people would get pissed at?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Ragged wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Is there a big rival for NU? Some school shirts people would get pissed at?
Kellogg.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:46 pm

ArchRoark wrote:How is parking around the law school? Feasible at all? Should I even bother bringing my car?
Can't speak to right by the law school because I don't live right by the law school, but parking in Chicago is a hassle in general.

It's feasible, I have my car here, you just have to factor it in as a cost. Street parking is cheap (you just need a city sticker) but hard to find in a lot of neighborhoods, plus it'd be a pain in the winter. Garages are probably $100-$250ish/mo depending where in the city. Some apartments have parking deals as part of the rent.

And if you're not intending to use the car but just need it to move here, you can even park it up at the football stadium in Evanston, you just have to move it before games and then move it back. (Parking is free on the UG campus on weekends.)

Someone else will have to fill you in about the parking permit for the downtown campus itself; I know there's a lottery that preferences people living further away but I chose not to get a permit since I didn't intend to commute by car and figured if I was going to look for a lot for permanent storage I'd rather find one that's covered.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:do all the IP students have engineering firm work experience? Or otherwise worked as scientists in some lab?
No.
Is this sarcasm?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”