Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
magikarp

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by magikarp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:21 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.
Also, I am including some additional email addresses if you want to reach me (not sure what will happen with the Northwestern email address).
Karl Lutz
I don't know if there is anything wrong with sharing this, but you should delete his e-mail addresses

Second this - the man doesn't need his email addresses on this forum.

Gus Fring

New

Post by Gus Fring » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:31 pm

magikarp wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:wow lutz was fired. This is ridiculous I took a class with him and he was great.
Also, I am including some additional email addresses if you want to reach me (not sure what will happen with the Northwestern email address).
Karl Lutz
I don't know if there is anything wrong with sharing this, but you should delete his e-mail addresses

Second this - the man doesn't need his email addresses on this forum.
it won't let me edit the post

magikarp

New

Post by magikarp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Gus Fring wrote:it won't let me edit the post
oh, right - it's probably worth sending a message to a mod and asking them to do it.

sadpandayolo

New

Post by sadpandayolo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Just came here from a long time hiatus from TLS. (1) woah this website changed. (2) wtf is happening O_o when I was there, everybody loved Lutz

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:40 am

sadpandayolo wrote:Just came here from a long time hiatus from TLS. (1) woah this website changed. (2) wtf is happening O_o when I was there, everybody loved Lutz
The website was bought by a legal recruiting company. The vast majority of the old guard users left and created their own competing website. When this exodus was occurring, they tried to spread the word and a huge wave of bans came through, admin disabled editing, and post approval became required.

As for Lutz, yeah. It's pretty odd, especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:10 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote: especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.
lol

JHWigmore

New

Post by JHWigmore » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Dean Rodriguez has done an awful thing at the cost of all future Northwestern/Pritzker Law students for his personal grudges against Lutz. It is very unmanly for Rodriguez to do so as he is stepping down, in a desperate manner to eliminate his nemesis-- Lutz.

Earlier in May, a 1L section lost its torts grade because a professor (Candice Player) plagiarized her test from a commercial prep course. Rodriguez seems to be fine with that, even if this was the second year that professor has done so to her torts class. This was apparently unfair to students who strategically dedicated time to study torts over other classes.

Lutz has been a responsible and earnest teacher from my interaction with him in and outside of his PE and M&A classes. Rodriguez apparently doesn't even know what Lutz teaches-- explaining to Lutz that there are enough new faculty members to teach "Business Associations," which Lutz hasn't taught for a long time.

Most students find Rodriguez a dean detached from the student body. He acts like a businessman-- selling the school name to Pritzker. He talks like a prophet of legal education with sophism devoid of substance. He praises his wife's MSL program whenever possible. I'm glad he is stepping down.

The law school has failed its students. I encourage applicants/admitted students to think twice before committing to Northwestern/Pritzker Law.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 am

guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote: especially considering senior lecturers probably make less than a regular assistant professor, so they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things.
lol
Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:07 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
lol
Quality comment.

On a more serious note, senior lecturers are likely the senior most contingent position at the law school, as a lot of law schools tenure-track their assistant profs and I would be surprised if NU didn't. They exist because they are more economically advantageous than traditional TT faculty positions. Senior lecturers teach more courses than any other position in the law school, and enrollment in courses is what keeps tuition $$$ flowing in to subsidize things like academic research.
Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 am

guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
lol
Quality comment.

Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL
YEAH, NERD! GETT'EM GUY

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:55 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
lol
Quality comment.

LOL
YEAH, NERD! GETT'EM GUY
RBP, I doubt the cost of paying Lutz was the trap motivation for his dismissal

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:04 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
lol
Quality comment.

LOL
YEAH, NERD! GETT'EM GUY
RBP, I doubt the cost of paying Lutz was the trap motivation for his dismissal
*true motivation

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:57 pm

guynourmin wrote: Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL
Well that's just not true because from the publicly available data it seems the most he made in one year as "LEO Intermittent Lecturer" was approximately $209,000. That was certainly not the second highest salary at the law school at the time. Many (if not most) full professors made more than him, in fact.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gus Fring

New

Post by Gus Fring » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:55 pm

grades???

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Gus Fring wrote:grades???
:x

magikarp

New

Post by magikarp » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:53 pm

srsly, registrar?

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Kinky John wrote:
guynourmin wrote: Lutz' salary at Michigan one year, as a lecturer, was the second highest at the law school. Obviously we don't know that he makes that much here or what NU pays faculty, but I'll just go ahead and say it again:

LOL
Well that's just not true because from the publicly available data it seems the most he made in one year as "LEO Intermittent Lecturer" was approximately $209,000. That was certainly not the second highest salary at the law school at the time. Many (if not most) full professors made more than him, in fact.

http://www.umsalary.info/deptsearch.php ... 7&Campus=1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:36 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Florida, aren't you a 3L who graduated?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Florida, aren't you a 3L who graduated?
yep

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:30 pm

ckb614 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:

LOL

http://www.umsalary.info/deptsearch.php ... 7&Campus=1
That's the FTE (full time equivalent). That's how the University of Michigan reports salaries. It's not what he actually earned. You have to multiply by his appointment (.27) to get what he actually earned.

Where's the petition for spring semester grades I would like to sign it

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 pm

guynourmin wrote: LOL
No clue what made you so abrasive, but it's incredibly off-putting. Could have just stated the Michigan data point (which looks like it was endowed unlike his position at NU and therefore attached to more money, so not even a good data point that you felt like you were mic dropping on) and moved on. I had a civil response to your initially intentionally provocative/hostile comment. Pretty lame, guy.

As for grades, maybe tomorrow?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Surprised not to see more of you fine folks elsewhere on these interwebs. Also can’t believe the Lutz thing.

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm

I heard if we tweet at D-Rod, then he will release grades.

NLawProud

New

Post by NLawProud » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 pm

czpczp wrote:I heard if we tweet at D-Rod, then he will release grades.

D-Rod only releases respected professors apparently.

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:47 pm

grades are out

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”