Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
personofinterest

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by personofinterest » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:How much does it cost to take a night course over the summer? I couldn't find any rates online.
If previous practice holds, summer classes were free with your paid tuition. Not sure how many are at night though. Winter intersession courses are also included, but not available to 1Ls. Those are a nice way to keep your semesters from getting too aggressive in terms of hours. During the actual semesters, I went 14-14-14-13-13-12 by taking advantage of the summer/intersession (and still ended up with 2 more hours than I needed).
I concur. I want to add that you will pay for 6 semesters of tuition, regardless of how many semesters it takes. That means you cannot try to graduate in 5 semesters to save money. So no reason to try to cram tons of summer and winter courses in if that's your goal (although it is nice to take a few 10-12 credit semesters). On the flip side, you could take 7 semesters if it comes to that, but there's usually not a good reason to do that.

LTL2018

New

Post by LTL2018 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Any recommendations for the best bar prep course? Billing to firm so cost is not a consideration. I'm leaning towards Kaplan for the $500 gift card at the moment but it seems like Barbri is what most people use.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 pm

LTL2018 wrote:Any recommendations for the best bar prep course? Billing to firm so cost is not a consideration. I'm leaning towards Kaplan for the $500 gift card at the moment but it seems like Barbri is what most people use.
Free iPad from Themis and the MBE questions are either real or closer to the real thing than Barbri

t.rex

New

Post by t.rex » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Anyone have a Speta admin outline they can send my way?

PallasAthena

New

Post by PallasAthena » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Anyone have an outline for Diamond's Trademark class? Can't seem to find one on the outline banks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

taco bell breakfast

New

Post by taco bell breakfast » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Last edited by taco bell breakfast on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 am

taco bell breakfast wrote:Anyone have Inglehart for CLR and have any recommendations for the Independent Research Project? I know we are supposed to pick something that interests us, but I'm also looking for tips on any topics that 1) Inglehart may be particularly interested in and 2) maybe lend themselves more easily to research (not trying to kill myself on this project)
You're thinking too much about this. Just pick a topic.

taco bell breakfast

New

Post by taco bell breakfast » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 am

Chrstgtr wrote:
taco bell breakfast wrote:Anyone have Inglehart for CLR and have any recommendations for the Independent Research Project? I know we are supposed to pick something that interests us, but I'm also looking for tips on any topics that 1) Inglehart may be particularly interested in and 2) maybe lend themselves more easily to research (not trying to kill myself on this project)
You're thinking too much about this. Just pick a topic.
That's fair. Re-checked the syllabus - it's 5%...just going to pretend like I never posted this ^

WilliamFaulkner

New

Post by WilliamFaulkner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm

How is the Law and Social Policy program? I would love to discuss the program with anyone currently enrolled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:How is the Law and Social Policy program? I would love to discuss the program with anyone currently enrolled.
I went to Northwestern and I don't think I've ever heard of that. There's plenty of classes and ways to get involved but I think those "programs" are just marketing gimmicks (same thing likely holds true at every school tbh)

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Mullens wrote:
WilliamFaulkner wrote:How is the Law and Social Policy program? I would love to discuss the program with anyone currently enrolled.
I went to Northwestern and I don't think I've ever heard of that. There's plenty of classes and ways to get involved but I think those "programs" are just marketing gimmicks (same thing likely holds true at every school tbh)
Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either. I guess it's this: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... al-policy/

There are a number of these "concentrations" at NU, but I think Mullens is spot on that these are generally just gimmicks designed for 0L students to go "oh, cool...I want to specialize in that!" I've never even heard of an employer (biglaw, public interest, judge) asking or knowing about any of these.

WilliamFaulkner

New

Post by WilliamFaulkner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Mullens wrote:
Thanks. I guess I need to rephrase my question -- how is the Public Interest scene at Northwestern?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Thanks. I guess I need to rephrase my question -- how is the Public Interest scene at Northwestern?
School has a reputation to be a big law factory, but that's starting to change; currently a 1L and know a lot of people who want to do PI, and it seems like the university is really supporting it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:
Mullens wrote:
It's getting better. We didn't have a full-time public interest adviser until a couple years ago. However, the administration's been trying to boost PI here, especially since the Pritzker money came in. Guaranteed summer funding for doing PI is $8K, and you can earn even more through SFPIF by volunteering for them throughout the year. There are also the post-grad Pritzker fellowships, which are one year of $50K (although they are competitive). In terms of opportunities, it's not bad since Chicago has a fair amount of them. A bunch of students work for orgs like LAF or CGLA, especially 1L summer. For government stuff, there are practicum courses that can place you in a prosecutor's/PD office, etc.

The community is small, since most people coming in want to do biglaw and even many of the PI-minded folks get swayed toward biglaw by the time OCI rolls around. But at the same time there are people like Len and Katie Shelton who are able to offer support for students who are serious about doing PI work. Alumni in PI are generally receptive to emails/phone calls as well.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm starting to do hypos and write out answers to them (real casual, like a one hour time limit). However, I have Redish for Civ Pro. Would it be a bad idea to use the E&E for hypos for his class?

Edit - asked a couple of my profs what their thoughts were on doing hypos from E&Es as exam prep, and their responses were lukewarm at best. How do I get better at applying law to fact then?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Any good course recs for 1Ls for next semester? Was thinking of taking Business Associations with either Silver or Sanga, Economic Analysis of Law with Friedman (disclaimer - did not study econ in college lol), and/or legislation with nourse. Also interested in doing local government with Shoked, but I don't know how hard that class will be.

tinyrickkk

New

Post by tinyrickkk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:34 pm

0L here. NU is very close to my top choice. I have good (ibanking) WE but only for two years by the time I enroll. How many people, if any at all, come in as JDs and then convert to a JD-MBA during 1L? Is that an option?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 pm

tinyrickkk wrote:0L here. NU is very close to my top choice. I have good (ibanking) WE but only for two years by the time I enroll. How many people, if any at all, come in as JDs and then convert to a JD-MBA during 1L? Is that an option?
My recollection is that they advertise it as possible (and it is) but that in practice it’s very hard to do. My year only one person was accepted and they had the credentials to get into the program if they had applied from the outset. Unsure if it’s become easier in recent years but it seemed like the prevailing wisdom back then was you needed very good credentials to get in as a transfer from the JD program (perhaps better credentials than if you applied from the outset).

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:16 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Any good course recs for 1Ls for next semester? Was thinking of taking Business Associations with either Silver or Sanga, Economic Analysis of Law with Friedman (disclaimer - did not study econ in college lol), and/or legislation with nourse. Also interested in doing local government with Shoked, but I don't know how hard that class will be.
If you think you might be interested in corporate then take BA.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Mullens wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Any good course recs for 1Ls for next semester? Was thinking of taking Business Associations with either Silver or Sanga, Economic Analysis of Law with Friedman (disclaimer - did not study econ in college lol), and/or legislation with nourse. Also interested in doing local government with Shoked, but I don't know how hard that class will be.
Leaning towards litigation, but interested in seeing if corporate is for me. Who is better to take the class with, Silver or Sanga?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:17 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Leaning towards litigation, but interested in seeing if corporate is for me. Who is better to take the class with, Silver or Sanga?
No idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Pretty sure I'm going to take BA, so would love to hear opinions on which prof to take/if I should avoid taking it in the spring due to a tougher curve.

Also debating between local government and law firm management. I like Shoked a lot, but I'd prefer an easier class for 1L.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Pretty sure I'm going to take BA, so would love to hear opinions on which prof to take/if I should avoid taking it in the spring due to a tougher curve.

Also debating between local government and law firm management. I like Shoked a lot, but I'd prefer an easier class for 1L.
doctrinals are all curved now. might be hard to know what profs will do with the new curve, and in any case there isn't a ton of room for them to deviate from it. try finding an uncurved class (i.e. no final exam, paper instead) if you are concerned about that; some perspectives classes are like that. it used to be a bit of a challenge to pick spring 1L electives with an uncurved class and professor known for good grades , but i think that's that's not really a thing anymore with the curves now, or at least is far less of a concern.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:20 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Pretty sure I'm going to take BA, so would love to hear opinions on which prof to take/if I should avoid taking it in the spring due to a tougher curve.

doctrinals are all curved now. might be hard to know what profs will do with the new curve, and in any case there isn't a ton of room for them to deviate from it. try finding an uncurved class (i.e. no final exam, paper instead) if you are concerned about that; some perspectives classes are like that. it used to be a bit of a challenge to pick spring 1L electives with an uncurved class and professor known for good grades , but i think that's that's not really a thing anymore with the curves now, or at least is far less of a concern.
One of my professors told us to not every worry about taking uncurved classes, as it's unlikely as 1Ls we'll be able to get them anyways.

Last spam post about class selection lol. Think I'm going to gun for legislation, and then take either local gov or law firm management.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 pm

carsondalywashere wrote: One of my professors told us to not every worry about taking uncurved classes, as it's unlikely as 1Ls we'll be able to get them anyways.

Last spam post about class selection lol. Think I'm going to gun for legislation, and then take either local gov or law firm management.
i took legislation and thought it was super interesting content-wise. I had it with Jacobi, but she's not teaching this semester FWIW. Shoked is great so local gov is a good choice, and i think its an open book final too (unlike his property class). He didn't teach it last year, so be wary of how many bid points you need to spend. it might go high-his history of economic regulation class went for a like over 1000 points or something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”