Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mullens

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Mullens » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:46 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Anyone have recommendations or insight on O'Hare v. Lee v. Horwich for SecReg? Any differences in evaluation methods or teaching styles or materials?
They let Lee stay? That's a shame. He was the worst non-adjunct professor I had at NU. IMO, he didn't teach the material very well. His graphics, which he over-relied on in teaching, were laughably bad. Like I still think back about how they made absolutely no sense and chuckle to myself sometimes. At least everyone was equally clueless because I thought I did poorly and got a good grade.

The final was all MC and the questions were purposely impossible. Lots of those questions where there were statements listed 1-4 and the MC question would be: how many of these are true? A=0; B=1, C=2 etc. I legit just guessed on some of them because I have no fucking clue how you're supposed to be able to answer those questions in the time allotted when it involves looking up/reading statutes. What a joke.

Horwich has the reputation of being hard but a good teacher of the material.

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Ugh, underestimated how popular BA would be like an idiot. Should I stick it out on the waitlist for Reed/Schanzenbach? Is Silver decent?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 pm

How terrible of an idea is it to get the previous edition of a book?

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:How terrible of an idea is it to get the previous edition of a book?

Depends on the professor and the book.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:How terrible of an idea is it to get the previous edition of a book?

Mulaney/Torts

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:00 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:

Mulaney/Torts
I think you'll be perfectly fine with an older edition. Also, she made everyone buy the latest edition last year, so I'm sure there are plenty of people looking to get that off their hands.

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Where should i get used books for class?

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:58 pm

symphonyy wrote:Where should i get used books for class?
Students are your best (most affordable) bet. You could try the bookstore too.

Jlyyep

New

Post by Jlyyep » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:23 am

What are the prospects of increasing scholarship $ after 1L? Do most people have to do it buy leveraging transfer apps?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:51 am

Jlyyep wrote:What are the prospects of increasing scholarship $ after 1L? Do most people have to do it buy leveraging transfer apps?
Some people have been successful in the past by leveraging transfer apps. Others haven't been successful. Don't rely on it though because it requires you being in the top 10% and the school having money to throw at you.

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Jlyyep wrote:What are the prospects of increasing scholarship $ after 1L? Do most people have to do it buy leveraging transfer apps?
From what I've heard and experienced, they refused to increase scholarships for class of 2019 potential transfers. But maybe others will have better luck.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:19 pm

daisrt wrote:
From what I've heard and experienced, they refused to increase scholarships for class of 2019 potential transfers. But maybe others will have better luck.
IIRC, the guy whose avatar has a sombrero got into Harvard as a transfer and is still attending NU next year. Presumably, he got a scholarship increase, so he might be worth asking.

Note: I could be wrong on one or both of these points about the sombrero poster

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:24 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
daisrt wrote:
IIRC, the guy whose avatar has a sombrero got into Harvard as a transfer and is still attending NU next year. Presumably, he got a scholarship increase, so he might be worth asking.

Note: I could be wrong on one or both of these points about the sombrero poster
I wouldn't presume someone got a scholarship increase if they're staying. There are many reasons not to transfer without more aid such as (1) Northwestern is still cheaper, (2) transferring generally hurts your opportunities to clerk and at OCI relative if you stay with high grades, and (3) personal reasons.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jomarch

New

Post by Jomarch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:When it comes to CLR, will the same books be used for both 1st and 2nd semester? I'm trying to decide whether I should rent or buy my books.
It depends on your section but I barely used my CLR book - probably read one chapter and did fine in CLR. You should, however, buy the Bluebook. You'll need it later for write-on as well.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Are there supplements recommended universally for 1L classes, or does it depend on what professor you have?

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:58 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Are there supplements recommended universally for 1L classes, or does it depend on what professor you have?
It highly depends on the professor. Using a supplement for Redish's CivPro is an incredibly stupid idea, for example. I would recommend starting off by not using supplements and only purchasing one if you're just not able to understand the material in a course through the reading/lecture/office hours. The time you would spend reading a supplement is probably better spent focusing more on that stuff anyway.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 pm

skatch wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Are there supplements recommended universally for 1L classes, or does it depend on what professor you have?
It highly depends on the professor. Using a supplement for Redish's CivPro is an incredibly stupid idea, for example. I would recommend starting off by not using supplements and only purchasing one if you're just not able to understand the material in a course through the reading/lecture/office hours. The time you would spend reading a supplement is probably better spent focusing more on that stuff anyway.
Lmao, good to know. I read in a TLS guide that reading supplements early in the semester can be a good way to get a lay of the land for the course. Is there any merit to that idea?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
skatch wrote:
Lmao, good to know. I read in a TLS guide that reading supplements early in the semester can be a good way to get a lay of the land for the course. Is there any merit to that idea?
I'll start with the standard "do what works for you" line on using supplements generally, but I'd strongly recommend against reading in a supplement ahead of where the professor is in the course. If you do that, you might find out your professor explains things in a different way and then you'll have to unlearn what you read in the supplement and get on board with how your professor teaches the material. If you want to get a lay of the land and see how everything fits together, just take a look at the syllabus and quickly skim the readings to get a feel for the course's structure. The only two valid reasons for using a supplement IMO are (1) when you've legitimately been paying attention, doing all the reading, and going to office hours and the material is still making no sense and (2) when you feel like you need to practice writing exam answers (which shouldn't even happen until mid-October at the earliest) and you don't think the your professor's practice exams are enough.

I think supplements are a major pitfall in 1L because using them makes you feel like you're doing more, which feels good when everything is scary and new and you have no idea what you're doing. Working harder is a good thing, but your time is probably better spent engaging more with the reading, paying better attention in class, and going to office hours/TA hours more often. In my experience, I've found going "outside" the readings/lecture (with the exception of outlines and old/practice exams for your professor) has not generally been an efficient use of my time, and since 1L is so busy, you need to be spending your time as efficiently as possible.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:24 pm

[quote="skatch"][/quote]
Awesome advice, thank you!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:17 pm

How much does it cost to take a night course over the summer? I couldn't find any rates online.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:23 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:How much does it cost to take a night course over the summer? I couldn't find any rates online.
i don't think NU charges by the credit hour. i took a summer class and did not pay extra.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:28 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:How much does it cost to take a night course over the summer? I couldn't find any rates online.
If previous practice holds, summer classes were free with your paid tuition. Not sure how many are at night though. Winter intersession courses are also included, but not available to 1Ls. Those are a nice way to keep your semesters from getting too aggressive in terms of hours. During the actual semesters, I went 14-14-14-13-13-12 by taking advantage of the summer/intersession (and still ended up with 2 more hours than I needed).

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Followup question. Does your U-pass work during the summer if you take a course?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:Followup question. Does your U-pass work during the summer if you take a course?
Nope, don't think so. They turn that off the day after finals end I think. You can actually go online and look up your expiration date for the current semester.

Not sure if they have a cheap option to keep it on though.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:35 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:Followup question. Does your U-pass work during the summer if you take a course?
Nope, don't think so. They turn that off the day after finals end I think. You can actually go online and look up your expiration date for the current semester.

Not sure if they have a cheap option to keep it on though.
Its regular price during the summer. I took a summer course, I was minda bummed about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”