Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
feralinfant

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by feralinfant » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

thanks for this info. I am applying for clerkships likely after fall grades, so i really want to limit difficult/uncertain grading. Would you recommend trial team or something like that? I really want to get some trial advocacy experience, but not at the cost of my GPA or honors.[/quote]

Do a clinic, or even better, do a practicum and extern at the cook county states attorneys office and hope you get put in traffic. I'm sure trial team is fine (did not do it) but it's a big commitment for no credit so you'll have to weight that against wanting to get the experience.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Answered
Last edited by carsondalywashere on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

core_four

New

Post by core_four » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm

We know NU favors work experience but is all "work experience" created equal? Is an MBB applicant w/ 2 years experience equally as competitive as a paralegal w/ 2 years experience? What is the breakdown of work experience for NU's class? What % from consulting, from finance, from industry, etc.?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm

core_four wrote:We know NU favors work experience but is all "work experience" created equal? Is an MBB applicant w/ 2 years experience equally as competitive as a paralegal w/ 2 years experience? What is the breakdown of work experience for NU's class? What % from consulting, from finance, from industry, etc.?
I don't think it really matters.

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 pm

core_four wrote:We know NU favors work experience but is all "work experience" created equal? Is an MBB applicant w/ 2 years experience equally as competitive as a paralegal w/ 2 years experience? What is the breakdown of work experience for NU's class? What % from consulting, from finance, from industry, etc.?
As cliche as it sounds, it's a pretty diverse class. There are people who went the "traditional" route of banking, consulting, other finance, etc. But there are also a lot of people who were in the arts, teachers, advertising, and more. It's tough to give a breakdown, but know that law school is a whole new game. Whether you were a dancer or a banker will not necessarily give you an inherent advantage. From my experience it is about your ability to focus and learn which you can acquire from a variety of fields.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 pm

when are journal notes usually due?

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 am

yyyuppp wrote:when are journal notes usually due?
Week before spring break.

Probably varies based on your journal, though.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:19 pm

A little late to the show, but get supplements. No matter what your teachers try to tell you, the law is black and white on the exams (a vast majority of the time). Your teachers will do everything they can to hide the ball, but there is no secret what the general rules are. You just need a resource that will tell you what they are.

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:24 pm

ghostoftraynor wrote:A little late to the show, but get supplements. No matter what your teachers try to tell you, the law is black and white on the exams (a vast majority of the time). Your teachers will do everything they can to hide the ball, but there is no secret what the general rules are. You just need a resource that will tell you what they are.
I really wouldn't recommend this as a blanket guideline. Using a supplement with Kadens or Redish will only hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:57 pm

ghostoftraynor wrote:A little late to the show, but get supplements. No matter what your teachers try to tell you, the law is black and white on the exams (a vast majority of the time). Your teachers will do everything they can to hide the ball, but there is no secret what the general rules are. You just need a resource that will tell you what they are.
I completely disagree with this advice. You don't get a good exam score by getting the "right answer." You get a good exam score by being able to discuss both sides of each major issue in as much depth as possible and talking about things the way your professor explains them. Unless your professor wrote the supplement, the supplement will probably cover different topics, organize topics in a different way, and explain concepts in a different way from how your professor does. Keep in mind that your professor is grading your exam-- not the author of the supplement. For a 1L who doesn't know what the hell they're doing, reading a bunch of supplements creates unnecessary confusion/distraction and wastes valuable time that could be spent reading the actual textbook more carefully or going to office hours/TA hours, both of which are far better uses of time.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:26 pm

skatch wrote:
I completely disagree with this advice. You don't get a good exam score by getting the "right answer." You get a good exam score by being able to discuss both sides of each major issue in as much depth as possible and talking about things the way your professor explains them. Unless your professor wrote the supplement, the supplement will probably cover different topics, organize topics in a different way, and explain concepts in a different way from how your professor does. Keep in mind that your professor is grading your exam-- not the author of the supplement. For a 1L who doesn't know what the hell they're doing, reading a bunch of supplements creates unnecessary confusion/distraction and wastes valuable time that could be spent reading the actual textbook more carefully or going to office hours/TA hours, both of which are far better uses of time.
i 100 percent agree with this. exam grading may end up being arbitrary, but supplements aren't going to get you closer than listening to your professor and using professor specific outlines. and in any case, the supplements may contradict your professor or include extraneous information (very likely) that if you put on your exam will be a total waste of time (cuz it may be in your supplement but your professor chose not to teach that specific rule or whatever)

edit: supplements do have their use, but they don't replace your professor

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:58 pm

What does the printing situation look like? 100 pages/semester, 200, 500? $0.05/page? I'm trying to figure out if I should by my own printer or just use the school printers.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:02 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:What does the printing situation look like? 100 pages/semester, 200, 500? $0.05/page? I'm trying to figure out if I should by my own printer or just use the school printers.
its 8 cents a page in the library for black and white. there is not a ton to print unless you don't like reading stuff in PDF (which you never really have to do outside a syllabus- maybe there is a stray article your prof has). maybe print CLR stuff to proof read.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Hippo wrote:
I really wouldn't recommend this as a blanket guideline. Using a supplement with Kadens or Redish will only hurt you.
Agree hence "a vast majority of the time." Kadens and Redish are perfect examples of the times where supplements are not that helpful, but I can't think of other class I had where that is the case.

Everyone learns differently, but I think for most people supplements are probably the best way to go. Of course, you are going to have to argue both sides, but you can only do that once you know the law cold. Also, many upper level classes (tax, bankruptcy, secured transactions, BA), finding the right answer is actually more important than arguing both sides.

"include extraneous information (very likely) that if you put on your exam will be a total waste of time (cuz it may be in your supplement but your professor chose not to teach that specific rule or whatever)"

There are plenty of teachers who will include materials in the exam they didn't cover.

core_four

New

Post by core_four » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:

See, this is what I'm told frequently, but then NU's strategic plan explicitly states:
In assembling a highly credentialed, diverse, and interesting class in our core JD program, we will
look actively at students with business and STEM backgrounds and experience.
So I can't help but think that consultants/bankers/big 5 tech are going to be considered to have stronger softs.

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:06 pm

core_four wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

See, this is what I'm told frequently, but then NU's strategic plan explicitly states:
In assembling a highly credentialed, diverse, and interesting class in our core JD program, we will
So I can't help but think that consultants/bankers/big 5 tech are going to be considered to have stronger softs.
I mean maybe, but I think two years as a paralegal is substantive enough too. But I also don't really see the point in speculating about this? I think your work experience (assuming 2 years paralegal) will measure up to other NU students just fine. I was at median LSAT/below median GPA with non-business/STEM work experience and got in with a scholarship. And not URM.

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:29 pm

daisrt wrote:
core_four wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

I mean maybe, but I think two years as a paralegal is substantive enough too. But I also don't really see the point in speculating about this? I think your work experience (assuming 2 years paralegal) will measure up to other NU students just fine. I was at median LSAT/below median GPA with non-business/STEM work experience and got in with a scholarship. And not URM.
As a rising 2L I would say our class has a diverse set of previous work experience. Handful of people that were traditional consulting and finance (IB/PE/VC). Another solid group that worked in STEM as researchers, tech, or something similar. But there is also an equal, if not greater, amount of people who worked in the arts, advertising, non-profits, restaurants, teaching, insurance, paralegals, etc. Also, a number of straight-throughs.

I don't think one type of work experience is given greater weight than another. I would take NU's preference of work experience as a signal that, in addition to traditional measures of diversity, they also look at creating a class with a diversity of work experience. Once you're in law school everyone is on an equal playing field academically, but the variety of work experience makes our class just more interesting IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 am

Are there any classes we're supposed to avoid taking until 3L if we want to clerk? I'm considering taking FedJur, ConCrimPro, or Admin this semester but I don't want to do it if getting a B+ is worse than not taking it at all.

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm

skatch wrote:Are there any classes we're supposed to avoid taking until 3L if we want to clerk? I'm considering taking FedJur, ConCrimPro, or Admin this semester but I don't want to do it if getting a B+ is worse than not taking it at all.
People say Fed Jur is the most difficult out of those 3. I'm probably going to put off taking Fed Jur until 3L, but it's up to you. I think it's more important to put together challenging schedules overall than taking specific classes for a clerkship. I'm spreading the "core" clerkship classes out over the next two years.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm

skatch wrote:Are there any classes we're supposed to avoid taking until 3L if we want to clerk? I'm considering taking FedJur, ConCrimPro, or Admin this semester but I don't want to do it if getting a B+ is worse than not taking it at all.
Avoid all of those if you can until after you get a clerkship. An A in Evidence, Legislation, Remedies, and other "easy" A classes is far superior than a B+ in the above three for clerkship purposes.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Anyone have recommendations or insight on O'Hare v. Lee v. Horwich for SecReg? Any differences in evaluation methods or teaching styles or materials?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dondraper88

New

Post by Dondraper88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 pm

These are the professors for section 4. What can you tell me about them?

Contracts
B. Markell

Criminal Law (Lecture)
L. Rubinowitz

Civil Procedure (Lecture)
S. Provenzano

Torts (Lecture)
M. Shapo

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 am

Dondraper88 wrote:These are the professors for section 4. What can you tell me about them?

Contracts
B. Markell

Criminal Law (Lecture)
L. Rubinowitz

S. Provenzano

Torts (Lecture)
M. Shapo
I only had Provenzano. She's great! Also your TAs will be awesome. She makes really good slides that should have everything you need to know for the exam. Also does a good job at simplifying otherwise complicated rules into step-by-step analysis. Only downside is that the curve is really tight.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:42 am

When it comes to CLR, will the same books be used for both 1st and 2nd semester? I'm trying to decide whether I should rent or buy my books.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:59 am

Dondraper88 wrote:These are the professors for section 4. What can you tell me about them?

Contracts
B. Markell

Criminal Law (Lecture)
L. Rubinowitz

S. Provenzano

Torts (Lecture)
M. Shapo
Markell is tough but fair and usually writes the hardest 1L exam (even Kadens agrees). Len (Rubinowitz) and Shapo are both very old, especially Shapo. Len teaches his class like a seminar but the exam is very gameable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”