Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
star fox

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by star fox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:03 pm

GoCats56 wrote:
AVokes wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I've got yet another question. What are the financial benefits of TAing? $X per course. $Y per hour for Z hours in a week?
Biggest benefit is the relationship (LOR) with the professor. Money is secondary. I've heard it's ~$2k/semester?
When I TA'ed in 2014-2015 it was $10/hour, and I probably put in 10-12 hours per week between class, office hours, and answering emails. I think that amount of time is pretty ordinary, but there are definitely some professors where you'll put in more time.

That said, you do it for the relationship, not for the money.
Yeah they upped it the semester after I TA'd and I was mad jealous since I got probably half of the flat rate they do now. TA'ing is easy, I sat in on the classes and browsed the Internet, people rarely came to office hours so I was able to work on or do whatever I needed to during that time, and the times people did come on, I basically just kept my outline open for the course and explained things to the best of my ability.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 pm

star fox wrote:
GoCats56 wrote: When I TA'ed.
I TA'd.
UG classes in Evanston or what is being TAd?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:40 pm

guybourdin wrote:
star fox wrote:
GoCats56 wrote: When I TA'ed.
I TA'd.
UG classes in Evanston or what is being TAd?
Teaching Assistant, all 1L classes and some upper level courses have them. It's just another law student who took the course with that professor the previous year and is there to help out if you have questions about the course and don't want to ask the professor directly.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 pm

AVokes wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I've got yet another question. What are the financial benefits of TAing? $X per course. $Y per hour for Z hours in a week?
Biggest benefit is the relationship (LOR) with the professor. Money is secondary. I've heard it's ~$2k/semester?
Yes, it's $2k per semester, but divided by the number of TAs for that class. So, $2k if you're solo.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Summer Law Preparation Program thoughts? 4 days, free, I'm available. Anyone do it? I'm leaning towards no but am willing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Last edited by carsondalywashere on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:?
Are you admitted? What do you mean by new leverage?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:?
Are you admitted? What do you mean by new leverage?
Last edited by carsondalywashere on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 pm

well, it won't hurt to tell them, cuz its not like they can reject you or decrease your scholly. but, you have no leverage, as you noted. so you'd likely not have any luck unless something else changes like you get off a waitlist. id talk to your waitlist schools first and see what happens there. NU will probably give you the old "scholarship funds are unavailable" message unless you threaten to bail somehow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 pm

^cool, thank you! That's what I thought

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:03 pm

^ no problem, I'm just one dude, but that'd be my guess. maybe email them now and see what they say, and kinda tastefully drop that you are still on waitlists, so they have some kind of incentive to give you more $. good luck!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 am

carsondalywashere wrote:^cool, thank you! That's what I thought
Also, FWIW, the scholarship reconsideration committee is out for the week, so you've got some time to think it over and type something up.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:59 am

^ Cool, thank you

I'm starting to think I might as well send an email, even without new leverage

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blawblawblah

New

Post by Blawblawblah » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am

How bad of an idea would it be to take con crim pro & admin at the same time? I'll be doing a judicial externship this fall & hopefully a journal, and I don't want to die.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Blawblawblah wrote:How bad of an idea would it be to take con crim pro & admin at the same time? I'll be doing a judicial externship this fall & hopefully a journal, and I don't want to die.
You'll be ok

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Grads: How long until our email addresses are closed?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:21 pm

I've read some conflicting advice on E&Es....is this something we should wait to read till after we get our schedules/know who our professors are?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:I've read some conflicting advice on E&Es....is this something we should wait to read till after we get our schedules/know who our professors are?
IMO you should wait until after you know your prof. And I definitely don't think you should be reading them now. It would probably be a waste of time. For some professors (Kadens etc.) you don't want to get a supplement because it may just confuse you even more. Although I think a Civ Pro E&E should be helpful across the board? But Freer's supplement is better anyway...

tl;dr wait until you know your professors and then come back here and ask.

sneks

New

Post by sneks » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

daisrt wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:I've read some conflicting advice on E&Es....is this something we should wait to read till after we get our schedules/know who our professors are?
IMO you should wait until after you know your prof. And I definitely don't think you should be reading them now. It would probably be a waste of time. For some professors (Kadens etc.) you don't want to get a supplement because it may just confuse you even more. Although I think a Civ Pro E&E should be helpful across the board? But Freer's supplement is better anyway...

tl;dr wait until you know your professors and then come back here and ask.
I agree with this generally, but want to clarify that any CivPro supplement is a bad idea (and unnecessary) with Redish.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 pm

^awesome, thanks to both of you!

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Rising 2L here. I would go further and recommend not using any supplements as a general rule. Time is a scarce resource in law school and engaging more with the textbook or talking over things you're confused about with your classmates/prof/TA is going to be a more efficient use of your time than reading a supplement. Moreover, reading supplements can sometimes even be harmful because they might explain things or organize topics differently from how your professors do, and you usually need to talk about things the way your professor talks about them to do well on the exam. For Redish's CivPro and Kadens's Contracts classes in particular, using supplements would be incredibly stupid because those two sometimes flat out disagree with the "conventional wisdom" taught in your standard supplement.

The only exception to this might be if your professor wrote a supplement for the course. So if you're in Shapo's Torts class then you should buy the hornbook he wrote. As far as I know, there are no other 1L professors that this applies to though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Yes, definitely wait, although conflicting advice will always exist. That's part of what makes 1L mystifying. You don't really know what works for you, and there are many ways to do 1L. That's why being a closet gunner is usually the best approach.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:02 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:That's why being a closet gunner is usually the best approach.
I lost you here. What exactly do you mean by it being the best approach? Also, I'm not really interested in supplements. They just really don't sound like they would be conducive to how I study. It's still possible to do extremely well without them, correct?

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:That's why being a closet gunner is usually the best approach.
I lost you here. What exactly do you mean by it being the best approach? Also, I'm not really interested in supplements. They just really don't sound like they would be conducive to how I study. It's still possible to do extremely well without them, correct?
no, they're not necessary. i bought a lot of supplements-at least one for each class. i found them most useful for the hypos they gave cuz you can use those like mini exam questions and just get used to regurgitating analysis and rules quickly, which is how you do well on exams (but you will also have practice exams, so supplements would be more practice, not your only practice). Outside of that, they clarified an idea here or there, but that was really only when i was studying for finals and realized i needed to read a rule or something again or in different way to better understand it. I bought the supplements because I thought the investment was worth the small chance of increasing my grade. One class, legislation, i found supplements - one in particular - to be extremely helpful.

also, the value of supplements is kinda inversely related to how well your professor teaches the class, assuming the supplement is consistent with how they interpret the law (which they generally are)

so, if you feel lost and like you need some clarification you aren't getting from the case book, class, TA, or office hours, buy a supplement. If you just wanna have an additional resource, buy a supplement. but Its totally possible to do very well without them, cuz they're just an ancillary tool.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:04 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
I mean that you won't know what "works" during 1L until it's over, and by then you could have grades lower than you want. What if you don't use supplements and don't get good grades? What if you do and still don't? That's why I would recommend trying everything out, hence my reference to being a gunner. I suggest being a "closet" gunner so ppl don't hate you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”