Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
somedeadman

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by somedeadman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
somedeadman wrote:How many students have cars with them? The only thing I could see myself using one for is groceries, so I'm inclined not to bring one.
Not many. You also won't need a car for groceries. There are grocery stores (Trader Joes, Jewell, Whole Foods) within walking distance of virtually any place you might live in Chicago. When I need a car - about twice a month - I rent one through Enterprise Carshare, which costs something around $5/hour.
Sick, good to hear

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm

somedeadman wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
somedeadman wrote:How many students have cars with them? The only thing I could see myself using one for is groceries, so I'm inclined not to bring one.
Not many. You also won't need a car for groceries. There are grocery stores (Trader Joes, Jewell, Whole Foods) within walking distance of virtually any place you might live in Chicago. When I need a car - about twice a month - I rent one through Enterprise Carshare, which costs something around $5/hour.
Sick, good to hear
I had a car 3L year and only used it to go to Costco, visit family in Deerfield, and one trip to Milwaukee. Probably not worth the $110 per month I paid for parking. Which was very cheap for my area.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Last edited by Kenga on Sat May 06, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

votebuilder1

New

Post by votebuilder1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere in this thread, but I am curious if anyone can speak directly to the opportunities Northwestern Law provides for those interested in judicial clerkships. To be clear, I am not 100% committed to clerking, but it sounds like an intriguing option and opportunity.

I understand that NU Law has a dedicated faculty member who focuses on helping students get clerkships, but any other details or success stories would be helpful and appreciated.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm

How much does a summer associate in Chicago make, or where can I find this info?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm

somedeadman wrote:How much does a summer associate in Chicago make, or where can I find this info?
If you work at a BL firm, then the same as a summer associate in NYC. It should be the prorated $180K at most firms.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 pm

somedeadman wrote:How much does a summer associate in Chicago make, or where can I find this info?
Vault firm profiles

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
If you work at a BL firm, then the same as a summer associate in NYC. It should be the prorated $180K at most firms.
There is no emoticon which adequately expresses my reaction

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am

guybourdin wrote:
Vault firm profiles
Thank you!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:56 pm

somedeadman wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
There is no emoticon which adequately expresses my reaction
Hopefully it's one of excitement, because the majority of NU grads land these jobs.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Market pay for summers is generally 3,500/wk x 10 wks.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Hey, I have a question about clerking. I know Northwestern put out ~7% AIII clerks last year, but I was wondering how indicative this stat is of the ability for NU to place AIII clerks. In your opinion, is this number mostly due to self-selection? Do older students, which NU is known for, normally want to just get into law firms quicker? Does NU's business lean perhaps hurt clerkship numbers relative to its peers? I'm just wondering if Northwestern could realistically pull 15.8% clerkship numbers like UVA or if there are actual structural problems beyond self-selection that prevent NU from having high clerkship numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:Hey, I have a question about clerking. I know Northwestern put out ~7% AIII clerks last year, but I was wondering how indicative this stat is of the ability for NU to place AIII clerks. In your opinion, is this number mostly due to self-selection? Do older students, which NU is known for, normally want to just get into law firms quicker? Does NU's business lean perhaps hurt clerkship numbers relative to its peers? I'm just wondering if Northwestern could realistically pull 15.8% clerkship numbers like UVA or if there are actual structural problems beyond self-selection that prevent NU from having high clerkship numbers.
Obviously hard (impossible?) to say for certain. I don't think a ton of people are super-interested in clerking. Anecdotally, I think people interested in going into Transactional practices is more prevalent here than a lot of other places.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:01 pm

star fox wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:Hey, I have a question about clerking. I know Northwestern put out ~7% AIII clerks last year, but I was wondering how indicative this stat is of the ability for NU to place AIII clerks. In your opinion, is this number mostly due to self-selection? Do older students, which NU is known for, normally want to just get into law firms quicker? Does NU's business lean perhaps hurt clerkship numbers relative to its peers? I'm just wondering if Northwestern could realistically pull 15.8% clerkship numbers like UVA or if there are actual structural problems beyond self-selection that prevent NU from having high clerkship numbers.
Obviously hard (impossible?) to say for certain. I don't think a ton of people are super-interested in clerking. Anecdotally, I think people interested in going into Transactional practices is more prevalent here than a lot of other places.
Thanks!

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 pm

star fox wrote:
I agree. I think NU's clerkship numbers are largely a function of self-selection--particularly if the denominator in that 7% figure includes the JD/MBAs, basically none of whom have any interest at all. If you're not too restricted geographically, and you have excellent grades, you'll be OK.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for doing this thread!

Question about the public interest environment at NU. I know historically the school hasn't had a very strong PI rep, but it seems like in the last couple years they've invested a lot into expanding clinics and other PI offerings. Does the PI environment seem stronger than in the past? And do people who go for PI tend to get the type of jobs they want?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 pm

half moon wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for doing this thread!

Question about the public interest environment at NU. I know historically the school hasn't had a very strong PI rep, but it seems like in the last couple years they've invested a lot into expanding clinics and other PI offerings. Does the PI environment seem stronger than in the past? And do people who go for PI tend to get the type of jobs they want?
No, the PI culture is weak. Very few people are PI focused.
Those who are - i dunno. It probably bifurcates between people who were gung-ho PI from the beginning as opposed to people who become PI focused after striking out.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Any good bar suggestions for our TLS meetup? :) Thanks!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:Any good bar suggestions for our TLS meetup? :) Thanks!
Not streeterville. Take an Uber somewhere. Go to river north if you want something more collared shirt like or Lakeview/Lincoln Park if you want a chill neighborhood feel. Emphasis: not streeterville

throwaway500

New

Post by throwaway500 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:05 am

Can we talk about income inequality at NU?

I'm a current student and have always felt like I came from a solid middle-class background until I came here. Now I mostly feel like me and my family are poor.

I know that most 1Ls (and many 2Ls and 3Ls) live in McClurg / the Streeter, where studios run from $1400-$1900 per month and 1 bedrooms are closer to the $1800-2000 range. Pretty much every time I'm invited to a party at another student's apartment, it's in an amazing $1500+/month building and has granite counters, amazing views, and SO MUCH SPACE. $1500 per month is more than my parent's mortgage FOR THEIR WHOLE HOUSE.

Serious question: how do ya'll afford it? The cost of living loans from NU definitely do not cover it, particularly if you're trying to make a 9 month stipend last 12 months. I know that many students come from $$$, but that can't be everyone's story.

Also, I realize that the NU listserv is a great marketplace, but every time someone emails asking to sell a pair of Cubs tickets for $500 or dinner for four for $900, I feel like shit. Am I the only one who feels like this??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:19 am

throwaway500 wrote:Can we talk about income inequality at NU?

I'm a current student and have always felt like I came from a solid middle-class background until I came here. Now I mostly feel like me and my family are poor.

I know that most 1Ls (and many 2Ls and 3Ls) live in McClurg / the Streeter, where studios run from $1400-$1900 per month and 1 bedrooms are closer to the $1800-2000 range. Pretty much every time I'm invited to a party at another student's apartment, it's in an amazing $1500+/month building and has granite counters, amazing views, and SO MUCH SPACE. $1500 per month is more than my parent's mortgage FOR THEIR WHOLE HOUSE.

Serious question: how do ya'll afford it? The cost of living loans from NU definitely do not cover it, particularly if you're trying to make a 9 month stipend last 12 months. I know that many students come from $$$, but that can't be everyone's story.

Also, I realize that the NU listserv is a great marketplace, but every time someone emails asking to sell a pair of Cubs tickets for $500 or dinner for four for $900, I feel like shit. Am I the only one who feels like this??
I don't think this income inequality is unique to NU; I think you'd find this same phenomenon at all of the T13. That being said, some people saved a decent amount of money working before law school and are willing to splurge to be closer to campus. Others receive parental support, and another group has support from their SO/spouse. Generally though, I just assume that a lot of students come from $$$, like you've already said. I don't fall into any of those categories, so I feel your pain. I'm going to need to live 20-25 minutes away from campus and am looking at places around $800-$900/mo. Someone posted somewhere (I can't really remember where) about their studio being open to rent. I was like "cool, I'll check it out." It was $1,300/mo. I noped out of that in about .5 seconds.

I went to NU for undergrad, and it looks like I'll be following up there for law school next year. It's definitely a bit bothersome, if that's the right word, to have friends who can go out and get bottle service every night, afford Hamilton, Cubs World Series tickets, etc. I'm from by no means a poor family, but we just don't have that kind of dough (or maybe we're just more financially responsible). I just deal with it by going "oh well." I grew up doing inexpensive things (relative to NU wealth) and finding fun in them, so that's likely what I'll continue doing. I'm not even sure if I'd have fun at a cubs game for $500. I think I'd be having an anxiety attack the entire time that I spent $500 on a baseball game.

throwaway500

New

Post by throwaway500 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:32 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
throwaway500 wrote:Can we talk about income inequality at NU?

I don't think this income inequality is unique to NU; I think you'd find this same phenomenon at all of the T13. That being said, some people saved a decent amount of money working before law school and are willing to splurge to be closer to campus. Others receive parental support, and another group has support from their SO/spouse. Generally though, I just assume that a lot of students come from $$$, like you've already said. I don't fall into any of those categories, so I feel your pain. I'm going to need to live 20-25 minutes away from campus and am looking at places around $800-$900/mo. Someone posted somewhere (I can't really remember where) about their studio being open to rent. I was like "cool, I'll check it out." It was $1,300/mo. I noped out of that in about .5 seconds.

I went to NU for undergrad, and it looks like I'll be following up there for law school next year. It's definitely a bit bothersome, if that's the right word, to have friends who can go out and get bottle service every night, afford Hamilton, Cubs World Series tickets, etc. I'm from by no means a poor family, but we just don't have that kind of dough (or maybe we're just more financially responsible). I just deal with it by going "oh well." I grew up doing inexpensive things (relative to NU wealth) and finding fun in them, so that's likely what I'll continue doing. I'm not even sure if I'd have fun at a cubs game for $500. I think I'd be having an anxiety attack the entire time that I spent $500 on a baseball game.
RedPurpleBlue:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. But I have to ask: is T13 a thing now??

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:43 am

throwaway500 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. But I have to ask: is T13 a thing now??
I'm pretty sure T13 started as a joke, but it's kind of a thing now.

Ever since GULC dropped from the T14, a lot of people here have been referring to it at as the T13. In my opinion, the distinction makes a lot of sense. The T13 are theoretically supposed to be the national law schools with BL/AIII placing power that are solidified at the top. Georgetown's employment, however, has not been all that solid, especially in regards to BL/AIII (even when accounting for self-selection). Georgetown's employment rate has reflected UT, UCLA, and Vanderbilt's (strong regional) employment statistics much more than the T13 lately. The official shuffle down in ranking just confirms what everyone already knew but maybe wouldn't admit, which is that the distance between GULC and UT/other strong regionals is virtually nonexistent.

To illustrate my point, USNWR has a numerical score for each ranked law school, and these are this years:

100 Yale
98 Stanford
96 Harvard
94 Chicago
93 Columbia
90 NYU
88 Penn
85 UVA
85 Michigan
84 Duke
84 Northwestern
82 Berkeley
81 Cornell
75 UT
74 Georgetown
74 UCLA
73 Vanderbilt
72 WUSTL

The T13 are so tight that 6 points could shift you up to 5 rankings. If any of the strong regionals got 6 additional points, they would still be lower ranked than the T13, except UT, which would be tied with Cornell. This data likely means that GULC has been grabbing the 14 spot with scores of 75/76 and not the 80/81 that we would expect. GULC should be 80/81 consistently if it wants to be part of the T14. Until it can do that, I think it's fair enough to call it the T13 so as to not deceive people about GULC's actual employability and quality compared to the T13. Some people are daft enough to choose GULC over Cornell at the same price, "because they are both T14s." That's why it's important that a distinction is made. GULC is absolutely not worth the same price as a lower T13. That sentiment has been echoed around here for awhile, and now we have an actual signifier for it, which should be embraced. If GULC regains 14 next year, then maybe people will start saying T14 again, but I still think it should be T13 until GULC's actual employment numbers reflect that it's a T14.

Leviathan1

New

Post by Leviathan1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:07 am

As a 0L, I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light upon taking 5 classes each semester during 1L... it looks like most other schools require 4 only? Does that mean NU 1L is particularly stressful? Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”