Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AaronRodgers

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Couple questions:

Northwestern would be my dream school considering my stats. GPA is 3.75 (maybe 3.8, but let's be conservative), LSAT is not known yet.

For the ED scholarship, what LSAT would I be looking at?

One of my bosses was a Northwestern Grad, and would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Would this help the process?

Should I take a gap year for work? Problem is the job I'm looking at right now for that is low-paying (30k) with BigLaw hours. At that point I'd rather work minimum, would that hurt? (although this might change in the next year).

Thanks.

Also, should I hide my NFL allegiance in interviews?

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 pm

AaronRodgers wrote:Couple questions:

Northwestern would be my dream school considering my stats. GPA is 3.75 (maybe 3.8, but let's be conservative), LSAT is not known yet.

One of my bosses was a Northwestern Grad, and would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Would this help the process?

Should I take a gap year for work? Problem is the job I'm looking at right now for that is low-paying (30k) with BigLaw hours. At that point I'd rather work minimum, would that hurt? (although this might change in the next year).

Thanks.

It can't hurt to have a NU grad write your letter, but just about the only things that matter are you GPA and LSAT. As this board will tell you, retake until you get a score you're happy with.

Re the job, I don't think it matters much what you do. The admissions department mostly wants high GPA/LSAT medians. I suggest you do work that you enjoy and live somewhere you like living. This is a great opportunity to do something fun/rewarding/adventurous.

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

personofinterest wrote:

Thanks.

It can't hurt to have a NU grad write your letter, but just about the only things that matter are you GPA and LSAT. As this board will tell you, retake until you get a score you're happy with.

Re the job, I don't think it matters much what you do. The admissions department mostly wants high GPA/LSAT medians. I suggest you do work that you enjoy and live somewhere you like living. This is a great opportunity to do something fun/rewarding/adventurous.
I would rather not waste money doing something fun/rewarding/dangerous. I'm not exactly wealthy so I can't travel or anything like that, and went to a no name school (for $$$) so don't have many networking opportunities. My major is also worthless, so most of my jobs are either from past employment, or internships.

I would likely end up just staying at my parent's house saving up money for law school doing a job that's not very impressive, which is why I wondered. I know TLS always recommends a gap year and NU (at least claims to) value work experience.

The only reason I'd want to take a gap year is to spend time with family and work on a novel, maybe.

Chi-Town-911

New

Post by Chi-Town-911 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Last edited by Chi-Town-911 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chi-Town-911

New

Post by Chi-Town-911 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 pm

AaronRodgers wrote:
personofinterest wrote:

Thanks.

I would rather not waste money doing something fun/rewarding/dangerous. I'm not exactly wealthy so I can't travel or anything like that, and went to a no name school (for $$$) so don't have many networking opportunities. My major is also worthless, so most of my jobs are either from past employment, or internships.

I would likely end up just staying at my parent's house saving up money for law school doing a job that's not very impressive, which is why I wondered. I know TLS always recommends a gap year and NU (at least claims to) value work experience.

The only reason I'd want to take a gap year is to spend time with family and work on a novel, maybe.

If your goal is to save $30k over the year, why not just work at Starbucks? You'll get the same amount of money without BigLaw hours. There's absolutely no sense in burning yourself out for a minimum wage job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chi-Town-911

New

Post by Chi-Town-911 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Mullens wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
Mullens wrote: If firms are hiring, a 3.7 is probably good enough. The problem is that the Chicago market is smaller than NY and fewer firms hire during 3L.
So you're telling me there's a chance? Haha. I hear that firms like Kirkland are generally hiring 3L's, are there any other firms that are more likely to hire 3L's?
Not that I know of in Chicago.

They exist. Check out Symplicity ahead of 3L OCI and you'll see listings for Chicago firms. The big difference between 2L and 3L OCI (for me) was that firms were hiring for very specific practice areas, and only wanted candidates with a credible interest in working in those areas (think patent, tax, securities litigation, or M&A as opposed to the general "lit or transactional" question you get at 2L OCI).

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Chi-Town-911 wrote:
AaronRodgers wrote:
personofinterest wrote:

Thanks.

If your goal is to save $30k over the year, why not just work at Starbucks? You'll get the same amount of money without BigLaw hours. There's absolutely no sense in burning yourself out for a minimum wage job.
That's why I asked what NU cares about regarding work experience. Do they care about the prestige, or that you have it? Or do they care at all?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 am

Chi-Town-911 wrote:Question for recent grads: I am currently living in a small, cheap apartment that's a ways from the loop. After I graduate I want to upgrade to a bigger apartment closer to my BigLaw office in the loop. The trouble is my lease is up at the end of July and I won't start my job until September. Month-to-month isn't an option with my landlord.

How can I get approved for an apartment without any income? What have other recent grads done?
Comrade, just do a short term lease for a month or two. Put your stuff in storage or whatever.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:02 am

Chi-Town-911 wrote:Question for recent grads: I am currently living in a small, cheap apartment that's a ways from the loop. After I graduate I want to upgrade to a bigger apartment closer to my BigLaw office in the loop. The trouble is my lease is up at the end of July and I won't start my job until September. Month-to-month isn't an option with my landlord.

How can I get approved for an apartment without any income? What have other recent grads done?
In my experience, sending a copy of your full-time offer letter from your firm is sufficient for approval for loans and apartment leases. Note that if your letter doesn't actually state your salary (and instead has some boilerplate about how it'll be competitive with the industry or whatever), you can usually ask your firm to send you a letter with the actual number if needed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 pm

1L here. Don't know if it's way too early for this, but how does acquiring a TA position work? Do students usually approach the professors, or vice versa? And if students do the approaching, is now a good time?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:32 pm

daisrt wrote:1L here. Don't know if it's way too early for this, but how does acquiring a TA position work? Do students usually approach the professors, or vice versa? And if students do the approaching, is now a good time?
Some, but not all, professor's reach out. I think a good rule is that if you got a good grade and got along with the prof, just shoot them an email. Doing so now is fine.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Thoughts on Legal Technology with Jesse and Topics in LItigations?

ETA: basically how easy in terms of grades/work

NANA 13

New

Post by NANA 13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 am

hi,
I was wandering if anyone knows where can I find material for the class of professor shoked Nadav about property and land in the USA.
Thanks!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:08 pm

daisrt wrote:1L here. Don't know if it's way too early for this, but how does acquiring a TA position work? Do students usually approach the professors, or vice versa? And if students do the approaching, is now a good time?
Reach out the Prof. But you can probably wait until summer. They don't officially know what they'll be teaching yet and aren't thinking about it.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Hey, just got in and am pretty exited!

I'm looking at the recommended housing, and it's insanely expensive. Do most NU students live right by the law school? Would it be a problem if I lived with a friend in bucktown or wrigleyville instead? I'd like to pay less than 1,000, and preferably much less.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:31 pm

somedeadman wrote:Hey, just got in and am pretty exited!

I'm looking at the recommended housing, and it's insanely expensive. Do most NU students live right by the law school? Would it be a problem if I lived with a friend in bucktown or wrigleyville instead? I'd like to pay less than 1,000, and preferably much less.
I would guess more students live near school during 1L and then a good chunk move to cheaper housing in a neighborhood with character for 2/3L. Lots of people live farther away during 1L and it works fine. When looking for housing, I recommend using google maps to see how long it takes to get to school on public transit and try to live no more than 30-35 minutes commute from school.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Mullens wrote:

I would guess more students live near school during 1L and then a good chunk move to cheaper housing in a neighborhood with character for 2/3L. Lots of people live farther away during 1L and it works fine. When looking for housing, I recommend using google maps to see how long it takes to get to school on public transit and try to live no more than 30-35 minutes commute from school.
Hmmm that might be a good idea. Thanks for the tip

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 pm

In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Hmmm that might be a good idea. Thanks for the tip
Old-school Chicagoans have a complex about living on the South Side, but it is dramatically cheaper than anything up north and there is lots of public transportation.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 pm

somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?
You could try to find someone at admitted students weekend. There isn't an official school service if that's what you're getting at.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 pm

somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?
As a poster said above, you can choose to live in lake view/LP/bucktown and pay less but have a 30 min commute. Benefits to both options. 1L is important/intense, so if you're going to live in streetervill, that is the year to do it.

Re roommates, you can probably find someone on the FB group.

Congrats and good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Wipfelder wrote: Old-school Chicagoans have a complex about living on the South Side, but it is dramatically cheaper than anything up north and there is lots of public transportation.
I don't know if complex is the right word. More like not wanting to live in MurderTown, USA (unless you want to commute all the way from Hyde Park but that'll take an hour).

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:34 pm

star fox wrote:
Wipfelder wrote: Old-school Chicagoans have a complex about living on the South Side, but it is dramatically cheaper than anything up north and there is lots of public transportation.
I don't know if complex is the right word. More like not wanting to live in MurderTown, USA (unless you want to commute all the way from Hyde Park but that'll take an hour).
That's the thing, the crime isn't bad at all in Bridgeport, or Bronzeville or even Kenwood. Back in the day, it was pretty rough I hear, but it's completely different now. One could rent out a one bedroom for like, 450-600 a month and be within half an hour to NU Law.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 am

Wipfelder wrote:
star fox wrote:
That's the thing, the crime isn't bad at all in Bridgeport, or Bronzeville or even Kenwood. Back in the day, it was pretty rough I hear, but it's completely different now. One could rent out a one bedroom for like, 450-600 a month and be within half an hour to NU Law.
I think you can absolutely live far away and save a good chunk of money and be in a cooler neighborhood to boot. But be honest with yourself and the type of student you are. Doing well first year is important, and if being closer to school will help you be a better student, it's worth the extra $400-$500/month investment/month for this thing you're already spending a lot of money on. Now it won't matter for some people, and I also don't mean to say going to every class etc makes you successful and that's what a "good student" is, but just think about what works for you. There are other ways to penny-pinch too: cut down on ubers+taxis, dinners out and starbucks for example.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:12 am

onionz wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
star fox wrote:
I think you can absolutely live far away and save a good chunk of money and be in a cooler neighborhood to boot. But be honest with yourself and the type of student you are. Doing well first year is important, and if being closer to school will help you be a better student, it's worth the extra $400-$500/month investment/month for this thing you're already spending a lot of money on. Now it won't matter for some people, and I also don't mean to say going to every class etc makes you successful and that's what a "good student" is, but just think about what works for you. There are other ways to penny-pinch too: cut down on ubers+taxis, dinners out and starbucks for example.
I don't have many expenses other than the gym and eating food. Probably won't be going out much to party during 1L anyways. Also, would like to be close because of snow and stuff

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”