Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MT Cicero

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm

KunAgnis wrote:Looked around on Northwestern website and I couldn't find anything . . . does finishing the 50 hours earn a reward or something?
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... ice/stars/

"Students who fulfill Northwestern Law's public service hourly goal are honored at a luncheon during graduation week and receive special recognition at graduation. Their names are highlighted in the graduation bulletin, and they receive gold and purple honor cords and tassels to wear at the graduation ceremony."

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:43 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:Looked around on Northwestern website and I couldn't find anything . . . does finishing the 50 hours earn a reward or something?
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... ice/stars/

"Students who fulfill Northwestern Law's public service hourly goal are honored at a luncheon during graduation week and receive special recognition at graduation. Their names are highlighted in the graduation bulletin, and they receive gold and purple honor cords and tassels to wear at the graduation ceremony."
So... no

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Hey guys! How are NU NY big law prospects?

Is there on campus housing at all?

Edit: Is there anybody I can PM and bother? I have never been to Chicago and I have so many questions. With my long-term career goals I'm sort of biglaw or bust and the only other option I have so far is Georgetown, which makes it seem like NU is the obvious option. 1 year work experience after undergrad.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Recent admit with a basic housing question: Is there housing in walking distance (off-campus)? If so, is it crazy expensive? Where do people recommend living?

Edit: What's the community like at NU? I know the avg. age is a little higher, so do most people tend to go to school then go home or is there a good social atmosphere?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:Recent admit with a basic housing question: Is there housing in walking distance (off-campus)? If so, is it crazy expensive? Where do people recommend living?

Edit: What's the community like at NU? I know the avg. age is a little higher, so do most people tend to go to school then go home or is there a good social atmosphere?
http://abovethelaw.com/2015/04/the-top- ... life-2015/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Recent admit with a basic housing question: Is there housing in walking distance (off-campus)? If so, is it crazy expensive? Where do people recommend living?

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/04/the-top- ... life-2015/
Oh wow, that's awesome. Will definitely read the article in a few! Thank you.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Any current or former students ITT who are able to speak a little on experiences with Sports Law Society? I'm thinking of things like: What kind of events and networking opportunities are there? Did people in the org go on to find jobs that were sports-related? Does it help with finding internship opportunities and things of that nature? Feel free to quote or PM me!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:39 am

Anyone know the deal with Fornelli Tower? It's oddly affordable so I'm suspicious lol. My understanding is that some college students live there, but they don't JUST lease to college students. Does it have a dorm look/vibe?

Also, I'm thinking of living in Gold Coast instead of Streeterville and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations of places to check out? Looking for a studio apt. that takes pets (AC that's not a window unit, a fitness center in the building, and some sort of 24 hour security are also ideal). MAX budget is probably like... $1500, but obviously I would prefer whatever's cheapest but not raggedy. Thanks for any help!

Edit: looking @ Gold Coast to remain in walking distance for 1L ---- but can't say I'm not tempted to check out Lincoln Park....

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Thinking about sitting in on a class while I'm at NU for ASW (I'm arriving a couple days early). Anyone have a recommendation on which conlaw professor I should choose?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 pm

brinicolec wrote:Thinking about sitting in on a class while I'm at NU for ASW (I'm arriving a couple days early). Anyone have a recommendation on which conlaw professor I should choose?
I'd recommend Redish.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 pm

daisrt wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Thinking about sitting in on a class while I'm at NU for ASW (I'm arriving a couple days early). Anyone have a recommendation on which conlaw professor I should choose?
I'd recommend Redish.
I was trying to decide between Redish and Calabresi (because I saw someone saying Calabresi is a legend ITT :lol:)

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
daisrt wrote:
I'd recommend Redish.
I was trying to decide between Redish and Calabresi (because I saw someone saying Calabresi is a legend ITT :lol:)
Calebrisi is not for 0Ls. Go with Redish.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
daisrt wrote:
I'd recommend Redish.
What do you mean by that? He's a 1L professor, right? (Not solely 1L courses, but at least one)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sneks

New

Post by sneks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
daisrt wrote:
I'd recommend Redish.
What do you mean by that? He's a 1L professor, right? (Not solely 1L courses, but at least one)
IMO, Calabresi is great. I haven't had him for a class, but have sat in on some of his lectures/talks. He's extremely knowledgeable and brilliant. Also extremely nice from what I've heard. I think he'd be great second semester, once you've been through a semester of law school and know what's going on. But his style isn't super exciting. He has a monotone sort of lecture. Professor Redish is much more dynamic, I think, and is generally an NU gem. He also disagrees with just about every other scholar on everything and bashes all the justices--both of which make for a more fun classroom experience.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 pm

sneks wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
daisrt wrote:
I'd recommend Redish.
IMO, Calabresi is great. I haven't had him for a class, but have sat in on some of his lectures/talks. He's extremely knowledgeable and brilliant. Also extremely nice from what I've heard. I think he'd be great second semester, once you've been through a semester of law school and know what's going on. But his style isn't super exciting. He has a monotone sort of lecture. Professor Redish is much more dynamic, I think, and is generally an NU gem. He also disagrees with just about every other scholar on everything and bashes all the justices--both of which make for a more fun classroom experience.
Ah, okay, that makes sense! Thanks for the recommendation everyone.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 pm

You can also get a very false impression of Calebresi from attending just one class. Whereas, one Redish class is exactly the same as every Redish class.

XUMickeal

New

Post by XUMickeal » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Hoping to get some insight into how is the OCI prospects for folks with no ties in Chicago? From what I gathered it seems like Chicago is pretty hard to break into without ties.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 am

XUMickeal wrote:Hoping to get some insight into how is the OCI prospects for folks with no ties in Chicago? From what I gathered it seems like Chicago is pretty hard to break into without ties.
Would attending Northwestern for LS end up being a tie?

eminentdomain

New

Post by eminentdomain » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 am

XUMickeal wrote:Hoping to get some insight into how is the OCI prospects for folks with no ties in Chicago? From what I gathered it seems like Chicago is pretty hard to break into without ties.
If you have the grades, it should be relatively easy from Northwestern. Otherwise it'll be a crapshoot. There are also numerous networking opportunities throughout the year where you can meet lawyers from the Chicago offices.

GamecocksDT

New

Post by GamecocksDT » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am

Hi all, 0L very interested in NU. What's the best way to find housing? Is there a specific website or somebody I should call?

Thanks in advance!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 am

GamecocksDT wrote:Hi all, 0L very interested in NU. What's the best way to find housing? Is there a specific website or somebody I should call?

Thanks in advance!
Hello

So what Northwestern does is very cool when it come to their housing.They have basically given 100% of that responsibility to a company called Student Space (http://www.relatedrealtychicago.com/age ... Tyler-Roth). Student Space then becomes a form of "realtor" for the students and has many partnerships with various buildings. From what I understand it is incredibly easy to work with Tyler and find an apartment that works well for you. This helps a lot because most apartments in Chicago require that you make 3Xs the monthly rent in income, but some refuse to count student loans and scholarships as income. If you go through student space you no longer have to jump through that income requirement hoop. You have to reach out to Student Space first. The service is 100% free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

btruj777 wrote:
GamecocksDT wrote:Hi all, 0L very interested in NU. What's the best way to find housing? Is there a specific website or somebody I should call?

Thanks in advance!
Hello

So what Northwestern does is very cool when it come to their housing.They have basically given 100% of that responsibility to a company called Student Space (http://www.relatedrealtychicago.com/age ... Tyler-Roth). Student Space then becomes a form of "realtor" for the students and has many partnerships with various buildings. From what I understand it is incredibly easy to work with Tyler and find an apartment that works well for you. This helps a lot because most apartments in Chicago require that you make 3Xs the monthly rent in income, but some refuse to count student loans and scholarships as income. If you go through student space you no longer have to jump through that income requirement hoop. You have to reach out to Student Space first. The service is 100% free.
Insanely helpful post

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm

eminentdomain wrote:
If you have the grades, it should be relatively easy from Northwestern. Otherwise it'll be a crapshoot. There are also numerous networking opportunities throughout the year where you can meet lawyers from the Chicago offices.
Two important notes:

1) Going to NU law and saying you love Chicago and want to stay should be fine ties-wise. Just have that sales pitch down.

2) "If you have the grades," for Chicago litigation positions, is a *massive* qualifier. It's a bloodbath every year to get a litigation spot from OCI, especially at Kirkland/Sidley et al. Law review, clerkship-level grades are the standard as best I can tell. There just are not very many spaces open in the whole city.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Chicago's tough, no doubt. A lot of people from a lot of places are gonna be competing to get back in. Going to NU is a nice boost though for sure. I think it definitely qualifies a "tie." Just be willing to hedge come OCI with some New York bids.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 am

GoCats56 wrote:
eminentdomain wrote:
Two important notes:

1) Going to NU law and saying you love Chicago and want to stay should be fine ties-wise. Just have that sales pitch down.

2) "If you have the grades," for Chicago litigation positions, is a *massive* qualifier. It's a bloodbath every year to get a litigation spot from OCI, especially at Kirkland/Sidley et al. Law review, clerkship-level grades are the standard as best I can tell. There just are not very many spaces open in the whole city.

Are you referring to litigation boutiques or just litigation within BL? :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”