Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
somedeadman

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by somedeadman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:31 am

Wipfelder wrote:
star fox wrote:
Wipfelder wrote: Old-school Chicagoans have a complex about living on the South Side, but it is dramatically cheaper than anything up north and there is lots of public transportation.
I don't know if complex is the right word. More like not wanting to live in MurderTown, USA (unless you want to commute all the way from Hyde Park but that'll take an hour).
That's the thing, the crime isn't bad at all in Bridgeport, or Bronzeville or even Kenwood. Back in the day, it was pretty rough I hear, but it's completely different now. One could rent out a one bedroom for like, 450-600 a month and be within half an hour to NU Law.
I'll definitely check out those areas

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 am

somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?
Don't know about roommate matching, but you could ask around in the admitted students' facebook group. Also, if you're interested in decent housing at a cheap price, check out Lakeview. My apartment offers Studios to 3 bedrooms and the studios start at $ 850/month, which fits your budget. Plus, the bus (146) takes about 16 - 20 minutes to get to Michigan Avenue.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?
Don't know about roommate matching, but you could ask around in the admitted students' facebook group. Also, if you're interested in decent housing at a cheap price, check out Lakeview. My apartment offers Studios to 3 bedrooms and the studios start at $ 850/month, which fits your budget. Plus, the bus (146) takes about 16 - 20 minutes to get to Michigan Avenue.
Awesome, I'll for sure check out that area, and ask around the Facebook group.

Two more questions:

1. I'm taking the LSAT in June to either increase my scholarship at Northwestern or get off waitlists. Would waiting to sign a lease in July be too late?
2. How soon should I submit my financial information? Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis? Also, can I wait to submit a FAFSA until I see if I need to take out loans, or is it recommended that I submit it along with my merit aid information?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm

somedeadman wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:

Two more questions:

1. I'm taking the LSAT in June to either increase my scholarship at Northwestern or get off waitlists. Would waiting to sign a lease in July be too late?
2. How soon should I submit my financial information? Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis? Also, can I wait to submit a FAFSA until I see if I need to take out loans, or is it recommended that I submit it along with my merit aid information?
I'm pretty sure signing a lease in July is doable, I did it. But the merit aid is on a rolling basis - there might not be any left if you submit too late. That said, still take your June test. Doesn't hurt to have a great score for applying next cycle.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 am

Is Evidence (or anything else) a "prerequisite" for CrimPro? If so, could you get away with taking Evidence/CrimPro the same semester?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:32 am

Kenga wrote:Is Evidence (or anything else) a "prerequisite" for CrimPro? If so, could you get away with taking Evidence/CrimPro the same semester?
You can check on Caesar if a class has a PreReq or not. If it's not listed, then it's not a prerequisite.

Chi-Town-911

New

Post by Chi-Town-911 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Kenga wrote:Is Evidence (or anything else) a "prerequisite" for CrimPro? If so, could you get away with taking Evidence/CrimPro the same semester?
Neither class is a prereq for the other. They frankly do not overlap much at all--when I took the class with Rountree there was zero overlap. They deal with very different subjects. You'll be fine taking both at the same time.

Chi-Town-911

New

Post by Chi-Town-911 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:22 pm

somedeadman wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:

Two more questions:

Just submit your FAFSA at the same time as your other aid applications. There are some need-based scholarships available that you should at least be in the running for.

glockov

New

Post by glockov » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Has anyone who got in as an ED student successfully gotten additional scholarships/grants?
I know I am very blessed to be given 150k, but was wondering if there is a possibility of being offered more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 pm

glockov wrote:Has anyone who got in as an ED student successfully gotten additional scholarships/grants?
I know I am very blessed to be given 150k, but was wondering if there is a possibility of being offered more.
Would like to know this as well, although I'm very much expecting the answer to be an obvious no

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:
glockov wrote:Has anyone who got in as an ED student successfully gotten additional scholarships/grants?
Would like to know this as well, although I'm very much expecting the answer to be an obvious no
PM me - there is hope.

votebuilder1

New

Post by votebuilder1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Recent admit here -

I likely do not qualify for financial aid. However, I am interested in applying for merit scholarships, etc. I was admitted 3 weeks ago, but have not received my admitted students packet. Does anyone know how merit scholarships work and how you apply?

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm

votebuilder1 wrote:Recent admit here -

I likely do not qualify for financial aid. However, I am interested in applying for merit scholarships, etc. I was admitted 3 weeks ago, but have not received my admitted students packet. Does anyone know how merit scholarships work and how you apply?
Go the admitted students portal. There are instructions there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Question - can I defer a year and submit my financials next year to be considered for merit aid? I'll be turning 26 next year, and would not have to report my parents's financials to be considered for merit aid. I imagine this would dramatically increase the amount they'd give me, as my parents are quite wealthy. However, they cannot help me with law school for a lot of personal reasons. I don't want their returns to influence the amount NU gives me. Any thoughts on this?

Is this something worth calling the financial aid office about?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:17 am

You don't have to report your parents financials. Since you are applying to graduate school, you are presumed to be financially independent.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:40 am

star fox wrote:You don't have to report your parents financials. Since you are applying to graduate school, you are presumed to be financially independent.
CSS (for merit aid) asked for their 2015 returns

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:45 am

cantyoloforever wrote:Question - can I defer a year and submit my financials next year to be considered for merit aid? I'll be turning 26 next year, and would not have to report my parents's financials to be considered for merit aid. I imagine this would dramatically increase the amount they'd give me, as my parents are quite wealthy. However, they cannot help me with law school for a lot of personal reasons. I don't want their returns to influence the amount NU gives me. Any thoughts on this?

Deferring will not help you because it'll remove any leverage you have to negotiate scholarships from other schools. Your best bet is to submit your stuff this year and then try to negotiate your scholarship to a higher offer based on other schools' offers. And honestly, idk how much they consider parent's financials because i have some friends at NU that are very well off and got big scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:48 am

Mullens wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:Question - can I defer a year and submit my financials next year to be considered for merit aid? I'll be turning 26 next year, and would not have to report my parents's financials to be considered for merit aid. I imagine this would dramatically increase the amount they'd give me, as my parents are quite wealthy. However, they cannot help me with law school for a lot of personal reasons. I don't want their returns to influence the amount NU gives me. Any thoughts on this?

Deferring will not help you because it'll remove any leverage you have to negotiate scholarships from other schools. Your best bet is to submit your stuff this year and then try to negotiate your scholarship to a higher offer based on other schools' offers. And honestly, idk how much they consider parent's financials because i have some friends at NU that are very well off and got big scholarships.
That's good to hear. I was surprised to see they were asking so many questions about my parents' background for the merit aid application, so that got me worried.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:17 am

Ah that sucks. Must be new. Never seen it before. But yeah, they'll still give you a big scholly if your numbers line up. If not, go to a school that will. I'm guessing that's more on top for people who come from low SES backgrounds, and they won't change the way they dish out merit aid for big number people from past cycles.

Wildcats17

New

Post by Wildcats17 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Wildcats17 wrote:Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?
Def. not

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 pm

star fox wrote:Ah that sucks. Must be new. Never seen it before. But yeah, they'll still give you a big scholly if your numbers line up. If not, go to a school that will. I'm guessing that's more on top for people who come from low SES backgrounds, and they won't change the way they dish out merit aid for big number people from past cycles.
I hope so. Starting to stress out as my parents are pretty adamant about not filling it out

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 pm

star fox wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?
Def. not
Nope. I'll probably have 30 or so, with an additional 5 million in school-related stuff (that doesn't count at all). :)

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:44 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
star fox wrote:
Def. not
Nope. I'll probably have 30 or so, with an additional 5 million in school-related stuff (that doesn't count at all). :)
Lazy, possibly also unpatriotic.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Looked around on Northwestern website and I couldn't find anything . . . does finishing the 50 hours earn a reward or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”