Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
guynourmin

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
where are you looking? these are 0-1 bedrooms under $1,050 on craigslist right now. presumably a lot of double/triple/10x posts, but still has to be upwards of 50 units here.
I've been looking at zillow and trulia mostly. I've been trying to figure out where to live to catch the bus. I know there is a lake shore drive bus that takes 20 mins. to get to school, but I'm seeing other routes pop up.....if I could live further away from lake shore drive I would imagine prices would go down quite a bit.
Red line?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:What are some general rules of thumb to go by for rent prices? I'm seeing studios in the 1200-1600 range on the Gold Coast which I expected, but lakeview is surprisingly not much cheaper...I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
Gold Coast and Streeterville are both generally going to be a bit expensive for what you get, but I suppose that depends on how much you value being that close to school. 1200 isn't crazy, but does sound sort of on the high end for a Lakeview studio. There are plenty of studios to be had in the only slightly more reasonable 900-1100 range. A company called Reside has several of buildings around that area that I remember being around 1000 for a studio last time I looked maybe a year ago; might be worth looking into. You may also try looking a bit farther north than where you have been--anywhere between Belmont and Irving Park (northern border of the neighborhood) should be within a 5-10 minute difference for your commute. Just north of Lakeview in Buena Park (Uptown) can be pretty affordable, and the commute isn't too much worse, but I would caution against going north of there.
Awesome advice, thank you so much!

In addition, is signing a lease in mid to late July for a mid August move a bad idea? I kind of have no choice, but...

Edit - submitted an inquiry to Reside. Like their website a lot
Last edited by carsondalywashere on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 pm

guybourdin wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
where are you looking? these are 0-1 bedrooms under $1,050 on craigslist right now. presumably a lot of double/triple/10x posts, but still has to be upwards of 50 units here.
I've been looking at zillow and trulia mostly. I've been trying to figure out where to live to catch the bus. I know there is a lake shore drive bus that takes 20 mins. to get to school, but I'm seeing other routes pop up.....if I could live further away from lake shore drive I would imagine prices would go down quite a bit.
Red line?
I was thinking of looking at places by the red line. Does lakeview contain the red line? I'm still ignorant of Chicago geography (working on it!)

Edit - just looked at a map. What I thought was Lakeview was actually old town and river north this entire time lmao. My bad

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:What are some general rules of thumb to go by for rent prices? I'm seeing studios in the 1200-1600 range on the Gold Coast which I expected, but lakeview is surprisingly not much cheaper...I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
Gold Coast and Streeterville are both generally going to be a bit expensive for what you get, but I suppose that depends on how much you value being that close to school. 1200 isn't crazy, but does sound sort of on the high end for a Lakeview studio. There are plenty of studios to be had in the only slightly more reasonable 900-1100 range. A company called Reside has several of buildings around that area that I remember being around 1000 for a studio last time I looked maybe a year ago; might be worth looking into. You may also try looking a bit farther north than where you have been--anywhere between Belmont and Irving Park (northern border of the neighborhood) should be within a 5-10 minute difference for your commute. Just north of Lakeview in Buena Park (Uptown) can be pretty affordable, and the commute isn't too much worse, but I would caution against going north of there.

In addition, is signing a lease in mid to late July for a mid August move a bad idea? I kind of have no choice, but...
I got my place on a similar timeline. I didn't have any problems, but I also didn't have much to move because I ordered all my furniture once I got here. You might want to try to sign the lease sooner to make sure there are apartments available for your target move-in.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:36 pm

AVokes wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:

I got my place on a similar timeline. I didn't have any problems, but I also didn't have much to move because I ordered all my furniture once I got here. You might want to try to sign the lease sooner to make sure there are apartments available for your target move-in.
I am going to be in a very similar boat, so that's good to hear. I would sign for something now, but I have circumstances preventing me from doing anything till mid July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm trying to calculate my COA for next year. Should I expect to take out the full $709 a semester for books? I know law school books are expensive and we have 5 classes a semester, but I find it a bit hard to believe (or maybe just swallow) that I'll be spending $140 on average per class. Note: I bought most of my undergraduate books used/rented them, and I'm not opposed to either option for law school.

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:17 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:I'm trying to calculate my COA for next year. Should I expect to take out the full $709 a semester for books? I know law school books are expensive and we have 5 classes a semester, but I find it a bit hard to believe (or maybe just swallow) that I'll be spending $140 on average per class. Note: I bought most of my undergraduate books used/rented them, and I'm not opposed to either option for law school.
I didn't spend anything close to that amount my first year. The books for CLR are pretty cheap. Also, you can find some good deals on the listserv once it gets closer to the semester when students start selling their old books again. However, if you're the type that wants new/unmarked books then brand new casebooks cost around $220-$250, but new books are unnecessary.

Jclubb

New

Post by Jclubb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Has anyone used the free broker service studentspace that the school mentions in their website? Or does anyone have advice on finding housing alone vs using a broker? I was thinking the broker might be easier because I can just give them a list of things I'm looking for and see how many items on the list they can check off

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Jclubb wrote:Has anyone used the free broker service studentspace that the school mentions in their website? Or does anyone have advice on finding housing alone vs using a broker? I was thinking the broker might be easier because I can just give them a list of things I'm looking for and see how many items on the list they can check off
That's how I ended up getting my apartment. You basically tell them what you're looking for and they'll take a day and drive you around to about 5 or 6 apartments. They also help facilitate the paperwork with the management of the apartment you choose. I had a good experience with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:42 pm

Can anyone tell me how I can find out who the law school representative is for job fair purposes? I need to register for an external job fair and I can't find the person online.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Next year's 1L sections:

SECTION 1
Civ: Hoskins
ConLaw: Delaney
Contracts: Nzelibe
Crim: Tuerkheimer
Property: Barsa
Torts: Mulaney

SECTION 2
Civ: Redish
ConLaw: Calabresi
Contracts: Lupo
Crim: Nadler
Property: Shoked
Torts: Player

SECTION 3
Civ: Provenzano
ConLaw: Koppelman
Contracts: Kadens
Crim: Peery
Property: Dana
Torts: Friedman

SECTION 4
ConLaw: Redish
Contracts: Markell
Crim: Len
Property: Yuracko
Torts: Shapo

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Kenga wrote:Next year's 1L sections:

SECTION 1

SECTION 2

SECTION 3

SECTION 4
Pretty well balanced sections, I'm impressed. My hot take: Section 1 just barely the most chill (Section 4 close behind), Section 3 tough, and Section 2 by far the hardest.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:27 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

SECTION 1

SECTION 2

SECTION 3

SECTION 4
Pretty well balanced sections, I'm impressed. My hot take: Section 1 just barely the most chill (Section 4 close behind), Section 3 tough, and Section 2 by far the hardest.
When/how do we find out which one we are in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:48 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:

SECTION 1

SECTION 2

SECTION 3

SECTION 4
When/how do we find out which one we are in?
You'll hear early august.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Anybody know how many bid points it costs to stay in a clinic for the spring semester if you were already in it in the fall semester?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Kenga wrote:Anybody know how many bid points it costs to stay in a clinic for the spring semester if you were already in it in the fall semester?
It's been 25 points per credit hour in the past. Since I think all are 4 hours, 100 points to stay.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Redish or Pfander for FedJur (will be curved)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:04 pm

When will I need a suit? I wasn't going to get one until December. Will that work?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:37 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:When will I need a suit? I wasn't going to get one until December. Will that work?
That will not work. You'll need one for OCI, which is the first week of August. Buy one next weekend so you have time to get it tailored.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:When will I need a suit? I wasn't going to get one until December. Will that work?
That will not work. You'll need one for OCI, which is the first week of August. Buy one next weekend so you have time to get it tailored.
I'm a 0L, as in I will be a 1L in August.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:46 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
there are various things, like career night, that happen before December. firm receptions then start over winter break and continue through the spring and into the summer. these are business casual but, if you're a man, that usually means suit with no tie. you can probably hold off until october or so. you'll need one eventually so you might as well get it before december.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:35 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
there are various things, like career night, that happen before December. firm receptions then start over winter break and continue through the spring and into the summer. these are business casual but, if you're a man, that usually means suit with no tie. you can probably hold off until october or so. you'll need one eventually so you might as well get it before december.
Gotcha, thanks!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:07 am

Sorry for double posting, but I've got yet another question. What are the financial benefits of TAing? $X per course. $Y per hour for Z hours in a week?

AVokes

New

Post by AVokes » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I've got yet another question. What are the financial benefits of TAing? $X per course. $Y per hour for Z hours in a week?
Biggest benefit is the relationship (LOR) with the professor. Money is secondary. I've heard it's ~$2k/semester?

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm

AVokes wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I've got yet another question. What are the financial benefits of TAing? $X per course. $Y per hour for Z hours in a week?
Biggest benefit is the relationship (LOR) with the professor. Money is secondary. I've heard it's ~$2k/semester?
When I TA'ed in 2014-2015 it was $10/hour, and I probably put in 10-12 hours per week between class, office hours, and answering emails. I think that amount of time is pretty ordinary, but there are definitely some professors where you'll put in more time.

That said, you do it for the relationship, not for the money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”