Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wipfelder

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
daisrt wrote:Which is the easier/better class- Remedies with Lupo or Labor with Crystal?
Uncurved Remdies with Lupo is possibly the best class the school Offers.
I'm pretty sure its curved this year.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
daisrt wrote:Which is the easier/better class- Remedies with Lupo or Labor with Crystal?
Uncurved Remdies with Lupo is possibly the best class the school Offers.
I'm pretty sure its curved this year.
Enrollment at 41 right now. Who's gonna be the one?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Labor is easy as fuck.

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm

champloo wrote:
NYYNYR wrote:
magikarp wrote:
crumb cake wrote:Looking for an outline for Koehler's evidence class. (He last taught it in Spring 2013.)
seconded
I'd also appreciate it.
I would also greatly appreciate it.
Same, please and thank you.

givemesomehelp

New

Post by givemesomehelp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Trying to finalize between Remedies (Lupo), Estates&Trust (Schanzenbach), Family Law (Yuracko), Legislation (Jacobi). All are currently uncurved, what would be the easiest class to get a good grade? Is there anyone who is particularly generous?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 am

Grades today??

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:33 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Grades today??
Yes, very likely based on past fall grade releases. This past spring the grades didn't come out until Tuesday after a couple years of Friday grade releases though, so anything's possible.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 am

Hello everyone!

Good luck on grades.

I am a 0L who feels very pointed towards the city of Chicago. I know I would be happy at NU and at UChicago by virtue of them being T14 schools in Chicago. My question is as follows and I mean no harm by it and submit it respectfully: Does an NU grad have a hard time finding a Biglaw job in Chicago due to the fact that they have to compete with UChicago grads (assuming they do compete )?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 am

btruj777 wrote:Hello everyone!

Good luck on grades.

I am a 0L who feels very pointed towards the city of Chicago. I know I would be happy at NU and at UChicago by virtue of them being T14 schools in Chicago. My question is as follows and I mean no harm by it and submit it respectfully: Does an NU grad have a hard time finding a Biglaw job in Chicago due to the fact that they have to compete with UChicago grads (assuming they do compete )?
Some likely do. NU's 2015 class had 51.3% go to biglaw while UC had 77.8%. NU had 9.0% clerk while UC had 17.7% clerk. NU had 8.7% go into business while UC had 3.1%. The question isn't which school is better, it's how much money, if any, are you willing to spend.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/profess ... y_2015.pdf

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:41 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

Good luck on grades.

Some likely do. NU's 2015 class had 51.3% go to biglaw while UC had 77.8%. NU had 9.0% clerk while UC had 17.7% clerk. NU had 8.7% go into business while UC had 3.1%. The question isn't which school is better, it's how much money, if any, are you willing to spend.

Thank you for this.

If I understand you correctly, you would say both schools seem to be on par when it comes to biglaw, but if given the option to go to NU at a lower price, NU is the smartest choice when taking the relationship of employment prospects to debt commitments into account?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:49 am

btruj777 wrote:

Good luck on grades.

Thank you for this.

If I understand you correctly, you would say both schools seem to be on par when it comes to biglaw, but if given the option to go to NU at a lower price, NU is the smartest choice when taking the relationship of employment prospects to debt commitments into account?
UC placed about 26% more students in biglaw last year, so the two schools aren't quite on par in that regard, even after accounting for self-selection bias. NU may or may not be the smartest choice when taking debt into account -- it really will depend on each person's financial situation, future goals, and appetite for risk. Some people are fortunate to have a lot in savings or a parent that will pay for their school, while others will have to take out loans. Some people don't care about biglaw, while others are obsessed with it.

The key is to get as much information as possible. It seems that you are very interested in biglaw, which may or may not be a good thing for you. With all due respect, I would caution someone who has asked for employment data without first googling it to jump on the biglaw bandwagon.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 pm

btruj777 wrote:

Good luck on grades.

Thank you for this.

UC placed about 26% more students in biglaw last year, so the two schools aren't quite on par in that regard, even after accounting for self-selection bias. NU may or may not be the smartest choice when taking debt into account -- it really will depend on each person's financial situation, future goals, and appetite for risk. Some people are fortunate to have a lot in savings or a parent that will pay for their school, while others will have to take out loans. Some people don't care about biglaw, while others are obsessed with it.

The key is to get as much information as possible. It seems that you are very interested in biglaw, which may or may not be a good thing for you. With all due respect, I would caution someone who has asked for employment data without first googling it to jump on the biglaw bandwagon.

Thanks for the info, and no harm no foul I understand your reservations.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm

btruj777 wrote:

Good luck on grades.

Thank you for this.

Another cost point that isn't often brought up: U Chi is in a dramatically cheaper area of the city, in basically every way.

As far as biglaw numbers go, U Chi, I believe, is a lot smaller than NU, so there may actually be more NU people that do biglaw in CHI than U CHI. If your goal is biglaw CHI, I think both are excellent choices, both place people below median in BigLaw jobs in CHI, and cost wise U CHI is a much cheaper COL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:04 pm

btruj777 wrote:

Good luck on grades.

Thank you for this.

I looked at the numbers when I saw this, since it threw up some flags. I think the code is off on Chicago's site. U-Chicago put 68.36% of their graduates in 100+ law firms last year (134/196): http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... 2015v2.pdf

I don't know why U-Chi's web version is screwed up.

Northwestern put 62.15% into 100+ law firms last year (179/288): http://www.law.northwestern.edu/profess ... y_2015.pdf

Also, when you remove non-negligible number of JD-MBAs out of both the numerator and denominator, the number ticks up (only slightly) to 63.05%. Some years that discrepancy is higher when 15/20 JD-MBAs don't start in law firms. We just have a good many of them. This also hurts the clerk % just a teeny bit. No JD-MBA has clerked that I saw in the last 5+ years.

The biglaw numbers are pretty close to parity, though not quite. Certainly not the difference that their site (accidentally, I believe) makes it seem.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Grades are posted.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
btruj777 wrote:

Good luck on grades.

Thank you for this.

Another cost point that isn't often brought up: U Chi is in a dramatically cheaper area of the city, in basically every way.

As far as biglaw numbers go, U Chi, I believe, is a lot smaller than NU, so there may actually be more NU people that do biglaw in CHI than U CHI. If your goal is biglaw CHI, I think both are excellent choices, both place people below median in BigLaw jobs in CHI, and cost wise U CHI is a much cheaper COL.
I'd be surprised if you got into UChi if it wasn't substantially cheaper to go to NU (barring a Ruby obviously).

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:50 pm

A bit off topic but does anyone know what GPA might be decent for 3L OCI? I have a Big Law gig this summer but I want to switch locations to Chicago (my firm doesn't have a Chicago Office). Would 3.7 be good enough or would I need a higher GPA? I've looked through here but people generally mention time lines of call backs and offers, not what GPA they had.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

KunAgnis wrote:A bit off topic but does anyone know what GPA might be decent for 3L OCI? I have a Big Law gig this summer but I want to switch locations to Chicago (my firm doesn't have a Chicago Office). Would 3.7 be good enough or would I need a higher GPA? I've looked through here but people generally mention time lines of call backs and offers, not what GPA they had.
If firms are hiring, a 3.7 is probably good enough. The problem is that the Chicago market is smaller than NY and fewer firms hire during 3L.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Mullens wrote: If firms are hiring, a 3.7 is probably good enough. The problem is that the Chicago market is smaller than NY and fewer firms hire during 3L.
So you're telling me there's a chance? Haha. I hear that firms like Kirkland are generally hiring 3L's, are there any other firms that are more likely to hire 3L's?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:32 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
Mullens wrote: If firms are hiring, a 3.7 is probably good enough. The problem is that the Chicago market is smaller than NY and fewer firms hire during 3L.
So you're telling me there's a chance? Haha. I hear that firms like Kirkland are generally hiring 3L's, are there any other firms that are more likely to hire 3L's?
Speaking of Kirkland, I know of at least two current 3Ls who were rejected at Kirkland at OCI and given offers several months after their rejection. This could indicate that, with a 3.7, you have a good shot (perhaps it doesn't -- but HTH!).

Guyver

New

Post by Guyver » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Good luck on grades.

If your worry is about Biglaw and employment rate, these are the law schools ranked based on law school transparency and 509 reports when it comes to employment rate

http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2016/11 ... aftlt.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Guyver

New

Post by Guyver » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:38 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
I've landed a paid internship during my undergraduate with Kirkland & Ellis. They're looking for students who can give more, pro bono hours, internship and so on, built enough connection and gain enough real world experience and you can lend a job there unless you have the inside connection already.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:59 am

KunAgnis wrote:
Not that I know of in Chicago.

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:43 am

Anyone know if there are generally-accepted GPA cutoffs for students who want to do a federal district court clerkship? Or a circuit court one?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 am

The clerkship handbook, which you can receive from Janet Brown, has this data going back to 2008 (see page 12). It's a pretty good indicator of GPA floors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”