Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by thatlawlkid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
guynourmin wrote: LOL
No clue what made you so abrasive, but it's incredibly off-putting. Could have just stated the Michigan data point (which looks like it was endowed unlike his position at NU and therefore attached to more money, so not even a good data point that you felt like you were mic dropping on) and moved on. I had a civil response to your initially intentionally provocative/hostile comment. Pretty lame, guy.

As for grades, maybe tomorrow?
He's not lame, you're lame.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 am

fwiw, seems that coif/magna comes out on the same date as commencement, which is june 22 this year

magikarp

New

Post by magikarp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Does anyone know when graduates' Office365 licenses will expire? I wasn't able to figure it out via my account's Subscription page.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 am

Fuck it, call me a gunner. Can anyone tell me:

1. Who is better for contracts drafting; mulaney or llorente?
2. Who is better for BA; silver or schanzenbach?
3. Who is better for negotiation; agnew, gandert, buth, or shapiro?
4. What are some other good classes to take? I wanna do corporate work after school and am currently thinking I'll take 14 credits this semester which would be comprised of (1) basics of contract drafting - 2 credits (2) business associations - 3 credits (3) negotiation - 3 credits. Don't know what I'd do for the other two classes.
What about accounting for decision-making? I heard classes like that require a ton of bid points. The other classes I'm considering are evidence, constitutional criminal procedure, con law 2, entrepreneurship clinic, legal ethics. Would take secured transactions but it's going to be the same time as BA. Also would like to boost my GPA.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:26 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Fuck it, call me a gunner. Can anyone tell me:

4. What are some other good classes to take? I wanna do corporate work after school and am currently thinking I'll take 14 credits this semester which would be comprised of (1) basics of contract drafting - 2 credits (2) business associations - 3 credits (3) negotiation - 3 credits. Don't know what I'd do for the other two classes.
What about accounting for decision-making? I heard classes like that require a ton of bid points. The other classes I'm considering are evidence, constitutional criminal procedure, con law 2, entrepreneurship clinic, legal ethics. Would take secured transactions but it's going to be the same time as BA. Also would like to boost my GPA.
I was under the understanding that you can't take the entrepreneurship clinic w/o having both BA and Entrepreneurship law under your belt. Could be wrong, but I just wanted to flag it in case I'm right (a rarity).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm a big fan of Gandert, he's really personable and a great guy to just connect with. You would probably get along really well with him.

bball75

New

Post by bball75 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:36 am

Any insight into the complex civil litigation clinic?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:44 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:

I was under the understanding that you can't take the entrepreneurship clinic w/o having both BA and Entrepreneurship law under your belt. Could be wrong, but I just wanted to flag it in case I'm right (a rarity).
Oh damn, I didn't even realize that. Thanks for the heads up.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 am

Anyone else find it hilarious Player is teaching bioethics?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Anyone else find it hilarious Player is teaching bioethics?
:lol:

NYYNYR

New

Post by NYYNYR » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:fwiw, seems that coif/magna comes out on the same date as commencement, which is june 22 this year
Honors are on our unofficial transcripts now.

NUGunner

New

Post by NUGunner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

1. Don't know about llorente but I highly recommend mulaney. Fair, funny, and super chill.
2. Don't know about scanzhenbach but silver is OK. She can be confusing at times but in general BA is not a hard class.
3. Never taken negotiations.
4. Sec reg would be a good class to take.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:05 pm

NYYNYR wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:fwiw, seems that coif/magna comes out on the same date as commencement, which is june 22 this year
Honors are on our unofficial transcripts now.
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/regist ... s_list.pdf

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JHWigmore

New

Post by JHWigmore » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Schazenbach is better than Silver for BA.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm

JHWigmore wrote:Schazenbach is better than Silver for BA.
I wonder if taking it in the morning would be an easier curve though since people may be more likely to skip out on class.

Are two credit classes actually the work of two credits, or is it more like CLR (i.e. a two credit class being a substantial amount of work)? Thinking about doing the following, but don't want to take too many credits (still want to bump up my GPA).

BA - 3 credits
Negotiation - 3 credits
Con Crim Pro or Basic Federal Income Tax or Immigration - 3 credits
Basics of Contract Drafting - 2 credits (looks popular though)
Entering Foreign Markets (talked to the prof on the phone, really like this guy) - 2 credits
Accounting for Lawyers, or whatever if it's called (also looks popular), or Corporate Governance - 2 credits

zimmercr

New

Post by zimmercr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Rising 2L who wants to do transactional. I'm thinking of the the schedule below which is 15 credits total. Does that seem manageable along with a journal? Also, any recommendation on Burns vs. Allen for Evidence or thoughts on the other teachers?

Basic Federal Income Tax (Lawsky, 3 credits)
Securities Regulation (Horwich, 4 credits)
Entrepreneurship Law (Barron & Reed, 3 credits)
Evidence (Allen or Hughes, 3 credits)
Cross Border Transactions (Goldberg, 2 credits)

taco bell breakfast

New

Post by taco bell breakfast » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Any thoughts on taking the trilogy this fall as a 2L? I've read some posts on here taking issue with the black box grading, but am wondering if anyone has other thoughts re whether they enjoyed the course / thought it was worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NLawProud

New

Post by NLawProud » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 pm

zimmercr wrote:Rising 2L who wants to do transactional. I'm thinking of the the schedule below which is 15 credits total. Does that seem manageable along with a journal? Also, any recommendation on Burns vs. Allen for Evidence or thoughts on the other teachers?

Basic Federal Income Tax (Lawsky, 3 credits)
Securities Regulation (Horwich, 4 credits)
Entrepreneurship Law (Barron & Reed, 3 credits)
Evidence (Allen or Hughes, 3 credits)
Cross Border Transactions (Goldberg, 2 credits)

I am just finishing up Entrep. Law this summer with Barrons. It is perhaps the most enjoyable class that I have taken at NU, very little work, extremely interesting subject matter, and the guest speakers are phenomenal. I heard that Tax is difficult but other than that no idea.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Thinking about taking either the trade secrets seminar or history of economic regulation to work on my comment for journal. Any thoughts on either of those classes?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Thinking about taking either the trade secrets seminar or history of economic regulation to work on my comment for journal. Any thoughts on either of those classes?
If taught by Shoked, I recommend the second course. You can be a gunner in it, or you don't have to talk at all. It's a lot of reading, but he doesn't cold call (so you don't really have to do the reading if you don't want to). Because a paper's required (a short one, something like 20-30 pp.), it would definitely be a good opportunity to develop a comment.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:16 am

Practicums and seminars are not graded on a curve, yeah?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Practicums and seminars are not graded on a curve, yeah?
they are not

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:53 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Practicums and seminars are not graded on a curve, yeah?
they are not
Awesome, thanks for the continued answers!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Any tips for succeeding in Schanzenbach's BA class, Shapiro's negotiation class, or in the accounting for decision-makers class?

Eminemthefun

New

Post by Eminemthefun » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:07 am

Any answers? I would like to know also.
Thanks in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”