Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Attrition

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Attrition » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:19 am

onionz wrote:Has anyone here ever taken Crisis Litigation and the Court of Public Opinion and can send me a syllabus?
It is fantastic, take it. There is no syl. he plays it by ear

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone got the law preview scholarship from Latham & Watkins (or another law firm) and went through the law preview? From what I understand, law preview isn't the most amazing life changing experience, but what involvement, if any, do you have with the firm? Why do they offer this scholarship? Is it just a marketing technique? I find it interesting that after you get the scholarship, the emails that follow are all from the firm's domain and the scholarship award announcement came from their recruiting email.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:00 pm

grades are up

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Does anyone know what NR stands for? I thought it could stand for not received but it's not listed on the Grading Policy web page as an authorized grade entry.

JoanOfArc2012

New

Post by JoanOfArc2012 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Ugh why will it take two weeks to get honors calculated? Any bets on what the cutoff for coif will be this year?

I think NR means "Not Ready" or "Not Reported." Sometimes profs miss the grade deadline for some reason and then this happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:26 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:I had to search for this so I'll post it up here if anyone is curious:
bk1 wrote:
rayiner wrote:GPA/class-rank breakdown after 1L:

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30 - 3.40 - median
3.20 - 3.30 - slightly below median
3.00 - 3.20 - quite below median
Is this still valid-ish?

JoanOfArc2012

New

Post by JoanOfArc2012 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:33 pm

I don't think so -- magna cum laude and order of the coif largely overlapped last year, and magna cuts off around 3.97. So odds are more than 5 people snagged 4.0's.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:45 pm

JoanOfArc2012 wrote:I don't think so -- magna cum laude and order of the coif largely overlapped last year, and magna cuts off around 3.97. So odds are more than 5 people snagged 4.0's.
That info is for the end of 1L though, not law school. Most people go up a decent bit after 1L. By the end, 1L 3.4's become post-3L 3.7's, 3.6's become 3.9's, etc.

So, a 3.85 being top 10%, which becomes a ~3.95 at top 10% by the end seems about right to me. And there could be more than 3-5 people at 4.0, but my guess is not many more.

That said, I have no idea as to the accuracy of this. Doesn't seem far-fetched I'd say.

Edit: Not everyone goes up nice and linearly obviously, and I imagine some could fall. But the general grade rise does occur.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:46 pm

JoanOfArc2012 wrote:I don't think so -- magna cum laude and order of the coif largely overlapped last year, and magna cuts off around 3.97. So odds are more than 5 people snagged 4.0's.
I disagree. I think that uncurved classes boost gpas in 2L/3L, so magna at 3.97 and having 3-5 1Ls w/ 4.0+ are not mutually exclusive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Could anyone here refresh me on how the new curve policy is going to work starting next year? I can't find it on NU's website anywhere. Specifically, are clinics or ITA going to be curved next year?

sneks

New

Post by sneks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:44 am

Kenga wrote:Could anyone here refresh me on how the new curve policy is going to work starting next year? I can't find it on NU's website anywhere. Specifically, are clinics or ITA going to be curved next year?
IIRC, we were told that clinics and classes like ITA would not be curved. It's basically just exam-based courses with (I think) 13 or more people.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 am

Kenga wrote:Could anyone here refresh me on how the new curve policy is going to work starting next year? I can't find it on NU's website anywhere. Specifically, are clinics or ITA going to be curved next year?
Only classes with a final, and with more than thirteen students, will be curved. The curve for such classes will be set at 3.55, with professorial discretion to adjust the curve up or down .05.

So seminars, ITA, clinic, etc., will not be curved.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:44 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Only classes with a final, and with more than thirteen students, will be curved. The curve for such classes will be set at 3.55, with professorial discretion to adjust the curve up or down .05.

As an incoming student, that doesn't sound too bad. Am I potentially missing some important detail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Calvin Murphy

Bronze

Post by Calvin Murphy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:10 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:

As an incoming student, that doesn't sound too bad. Am I potentially missing some important detail?
It used to be more lenient.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:21 pm

Calvin Murphy wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

Gotcha. Is that necessarily problematic? It looks like everyone gets punished equally. Shouldn't the result just be that GPAs will decrease in absolute terms but everyone's position in the class will remain virtually the same?

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:03 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Calvin Murphy wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

Gotcha. Is that necessarily problematic? It looks like everyone gets punished equally. Shouldn't the result just be that GPAs will decrease in absolute terms but everyone's position in the class will remain virtually the same?
NU doesn't release rank or percentages at all, so you never actually know your percentage or rank in the class. They also don't release the medians of classes, so employers go based off of the past experiences and past GPAs. I think the biggest concern is probably that employers are going to be expecting the classic NU grade inflation and then not see it, they'll adjust pretty quickly though. Plus the new curve it fairly generous and to my knowledge the doctrinal curve isn't changing.

You used to be able to pad your 2nd semester with "easy A" classes that weren't curved during 1L to help your GPA so that'll be the biggest change, but a lot of times that would backfire anyway because the prof would give a rogue B.

Calvin Murphy

Bronze

Post by Calvin Murphy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Calvin Murphy wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

NU doesn't release rank or percentages at all, so you never actually know your percentage or rank in the class. They also don't release the medians of classes, so employers go based off of the past experiences and past GPAs. I think the biggest concern is probably that employers are going to be expecting the classic NU grade inflation and then not see it, they'll adjust pretty quickly though. Plus the new curve it fairly generous and to my knowledge the doctrinal curve isn't changing.

You used to be able to pad your 2nd semester with "easy A" classes that weren't curved during 1L to help your GPA so that'll be the biggest change, but a lot of times that would backfire anyway because the prof would give a rogue B.
This pretty much sums it up. In addition to the rogue B, some professors would curve their classes harsher than others, even where there was no mandatory curve.

Also wanted to add that latin honors cutoffs are based solely on GPA. A harsher curve = fewer latin honors. At the end of the day, not a big deal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NUGunner

New

Post by NUGunner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Gunner here. Does anybody know when K&E scholar notifications will go out?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Latin Honors/Coif are on our unofficial transcripts on Caesar. I'm assuming the email will go out later today.

GoCubsGo41

New

Post by GoCubsGo41 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:17 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Need info on how Tiller grades his Contracts II summer course (online). Is this an expect-an-A class? Or are B+s real?
Any info on Tiller for Contracts II?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:46 pm

What are some general rules of thumb to go by for rent prices? I'm seeing studios in the 1200-1600 range on the Gold Coast which I expected, but lakeview is surprisingly not much cheaper...I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:What are some general rules of thumb to go by for rent prices? I'm seeing studios in the 1200-1600 range on the Gold Coast which I expected, but lakeview is surprisingly not much cheaper...I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
Gold Coast and Streeterville are both generally going to be a bit expensive for what you get, but I suppose that depends on how much you value being that close to school. 1200 isn't crazy, but does sound sort of on the high end for a Lakeview studio. There are plenty of studios to be had in the only slightly more reasonable 900-1100 range. A company called Reside has several of buildings around that area that I remember being around 1000 for a studio last time I looked maybe a year ago; might be worth looking into. You may also try looking a bit farther north than where you have been--anywhere between Belmont and Irving Park (northern border of the neighborhood) should be within a 5-10 minute difference for your commute. Just north of Lakeview in Buena Park (Uptown) can be pretty affordable, and the commute isn't too much worse, but I would caution against going north of there.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
where are you looking? these are 0-1 bedrooms under $1,050 on craigslist right now. presumably a lot of double/triple/10x posts, but still has to be upwards of 50 units here.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 pm

guybourdin wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:I have yet to find a studio below 1200. Am I just not looking hard enough?
where are you looking? these are 0-1 bedrooms under $1,050 on craigslist right now. presumably a lot of double/triple/10x posts, but still has to be upwards of 50 units here.
I've been looking at zillow and trulia mostly. I've been trying to figure out where to live to catch the bus. I know there is a lake shore drive bus that takes 20 mins. to get to school, but I'm seeing other routes pop up.....if I could live further away from lake shore drive I would imagine prices would go down quite a bit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”