Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wubwubwub

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by wubwubwub » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:12 pm

twochipmunks wrote:For clerkship applications, would there be a substantial difference between a semester with 4DS/1P and a semester with 3DS/2H, given that the GPA comes out the same in both situations?

4DS in a single semester seems unreal, but it seems to really beg the question what happened on that P exam. Alternatively, 3DS/2H seems more consistent. Do judges care?
Both of these would be very good problems to have. And I doubt it: at that level of clerkship hiring, it's more about getting the right recommenders to make the right phone calls. (And if you actually have either 4DS/1P or 3DS/2H, get off TLS, march right down to the clerkship office, and demand that they counsel you on finding those recommenders)

Amazon

New

Post by Amazon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:13 am

THE LP IS REAL. This is like the opposite of Christmas morning. I had a horrific end of the semester (death in the family, couldn't get my head back on straight in the last weeks of the semester). Doing much better now and full steam ahead, but my goodness I will have trouble getting any 1L summer gig now. Definitely will be expanding the 1L summer search beyond firms, several of which were waiting on my grades, all of which I assume will now ding me. Will have to triage the shit out of this situation and will be seriously striving for Hs in every class this semester.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 am

Amazon wrote:THE LP IS REAL. This is like the opposite of Christmas morning. I had a horrific end of the semester (death in the family, couldn't get my head back on straight in the last weeks of the semester). Doing much better now and full steam ahead, but my goodness I will have trouble getting any 1L summer gig now. Definitely will be expanding the 1L summer search beyond firms, several of which were waiting on my grades, all of which I assume will now ding me. Will have to triage the shit out of this situation and will be seriously striving for Hs in every class this semester.
It’ll be okay. 1L firm jobs are always are to get. No other 1L job will care.

You’ll be fine for EIP. I have several friends with LPs who got tons of offers from top firms.

Don’t stress too much about the LP. It happens to more people than you realize.

sa14

New

Post by sa14 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 am

[quote="Dcc617"][quote="Amazon"]THE LP IS REAL. This is like the opposite of Christmas morning. I had a horrific end of the semester (death in the family, couldn't get my head back on straight in the last weeks of the semester). Doing much better now and full steam ahead, but my goodness I will have trouble getting any 1L summer gig now. Definitely will be expanding the 1L summer search beyond firms, several of which were waiting on my grades, all of which I assume will now ding me. Will have to triage the shit out of this situation and will be seriously striving for Hs in every class this semester.[/quote]

You’ll be fine for EIP. I have several friends with LPs who got tons of offers from top firms.

Don’t stress too much about the LP. It happens to more people than you realize.[/quote]

Can you note which firms they received? Any in top 15?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am

sa14 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
Amazon wrote:THE LP IS REAL. This is like the opposite of Christmas morning. I had a horrific end of the semester (death in the family, couldn't get my head back on straight in the last weeks of the semester). Doing much better now and full steam ahead, but my goodness I will have trouble getting any 1L summer gig now. Definitely will be expanding the 1L summer search beyond firms, several of which were waiting on my grades, all of which I assume will now ding me. Will have to triage the shit out of this situation and will be seriously striving for Hs in every class this semester.

Don’t stress too much about the LP. It happens to more people than you realize.

Can you note which firms they received? Any in top 15?
Vault rankings are meaningless. That being said, yeah. But again, don’t let meaningless rankings rule your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

burger88

New

Post by burger88 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:22 pm

For magna and summa, is GPA calculated weighting how many credits each class is worth? E.g. a DS in Torts (4 credits) would be better than a DS in LRW (2 credits)?

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 pm

burger88 wrote:For magna and summa, is GPA calculated weighting how many credits each class is worth? E.g. a DS in Torts (4 credits) would be better than a DS in LRW (2 credits)?
yes

ValeVale

New

Post by ValeVale » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Can any recent alums speak to cum laude cut off in some detail? I see it is generally around a 3.65, but is a 3.65 comfortably in the cum laude range?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:37 pm

ValeVale wrote:Can any recent alums speak to cum laude cut off in some detail? I see it is generally around a 3.65, but is a 3.65 comfortably in the cum laude range?
It varies too much from year to year to make generalizations more precise than "about 3.6." In 2016, someone missed cum laude with a 3.61 and someone else got it with a 3.62, but the cutoff varies slightly from year to year. (At least, we know that someone got magna with 3.93 in 2016 and someone missed magna with 3.96 in 2017, so it stands to reason that all cutoffs vary slightly from year to year, given that they're done by percentile and HLS profs do grading like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.)

That being said, I'd be surprised if a 3.65 didn't make cum laude this year. That would be news.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pi.radians

New

Post by pi.radians » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Does anyone know where I stand with 3 Hs in 1L (including 1 DS), and 3 Hs (out of 4 classes) so far in 2L? I'm curious what approximate percentile that places me at. My guess is somewhere between top 30-40 percent. Is that a good estimate?

Thanks.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm

pi.radians wrote:Does anyone know where I stand with 3 Hs in 1L (including 1 DS), and 3 Hs (out of 4 classes) so far in 2L? I'm curious what approximate percentile that places me at. My guess is somewhere between top 30-40 percent. Is that a good estimate?

Thanks.
My understanding is that cum laude is around 3.6.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:51 am

Dcc617 wrote:
pi.radians wrote:Does anyone know where I stand with 3 Hs in 1L (including 1 DS), and 3 Hs (out of 4 classes) so far in 2L? I'm curious what approximate percentile that places me at. My guess is somewhere between top 30-40 percent. Is that a good estimate?

Thanks.
My understanding is that cum laude is around 3.6.
me too

eta: you'll get better answers at the new site.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Starting to look into where to live - does anyone have any thoughts of what makes more sense? For example, I know that Gropius is the cheapest, but I can't tell if the savings are worth how shitty it supposedly is? Would one of the nicer housing options make more sense or even off-campus? I was thinking that living close to the law school made the most sense so there's less travel, etc. But I could be entirely wrong haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Saul Berenson

New

Post by Saul Berenson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm

1L and got LP'd by a Visiting Professor. Thought it was my second
best exam. Is that unusual?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Saul Berenson wrote:1L and got LP'd by a Visiting Professor. Thought it was my second
best exam. Is that unusual?
That sucks. Know that I have multiple friends who got LPs who still got great firm jobs. Just bid wisely (like don’t go all in on DC) and make sure that your interviewing is alright. And try super hard not to LP again.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 am

taxman14 wrote:Starting to look into where to live - does anyone have any thoughts of what makes more sense? For example, I know that Gropius is the cheapest, but I can't tell if the savings are worth how shitty it supposedly is? Would one of the nicer housing options make more sense or even off-campus? I was thinking that living close to the law school made the most sense so there's less travel, etc. But I could be entirely wrong haha.
I've always thought that the benefit of Gropius is more in the proximity to campus than in the cost. You won't find anything nearly as close to campus for even twice the price.

If I hadn't moved to Cambridge with a SO, I would have jumped at it (or Hastings, I suppose). This is especailly true if you don't cook much (which is the biggest shortcoming for Gropius).

nubcs

New

Post by nubcs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 pm

taxman14 wrote:Starting to look into where to live - does anyone have any thoughts of what makes more sense? For example, I know that Gropius is the cheapest, but I can't tell if the savings are worth how shitty it supposedly is? Would one of the nicer housing options make more sense or even off-campus? I was thinking that living close to the law school made the most sense so there's less travel, etc. But I could be entirely wrong haha.
One guy in my ASW finalized his decision to come to HLS after seeing Gropius, and it sounds like a lot of people are looking to stay in the dorms after their first year, so I guess it can't be that bad. People seem to enjoy 29 Garden as well. If you have the option to, I'd recommend living off-campus but close to WCC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

How is Boston? Is it an area where you can find internships during the fall or spring easily? How is the weather and how does the weather impact going out or studying outside your living areas? Thanks.

mn40

New

Post by mn40 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Any tips for working with an LRW partner who is putting in almost no work (I had to basically do the entire outline myself)? Should I just try to make my half of the brief as good as possible and hope that our Climenko is willing to consider giving separate grades? Otherwise, I'm thinking that I would need to basically write huge chunks my partner's half (he hasn't done anything other than find one, not-so-useful case so far) to have any shot at an H.

fozzie

New

Post by fozzie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:26 am

mn40 wrote:Any tips for working with an LRW partner who is putting in almost no work (I had to basically do the entire outline myself)? Should I just try to make my half of the brief as good as possible and hope that our Climenko is willing to consider giving separate grades? Otherwise, I'm thinking that I would need to basically write huge chunks my partner's half (he hasn't done anything other than find one, not-so-useful case so far) to have any shot at an H.
Have you talked to your partner about it? It might be awkward, but it seems like an important first step no matter where you go from here.

fozzie

New

Post by fozzie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 am

mn40 wrote:Any tips for working with an LRW partner who is putting in almost no work (I had to basically do the entire outline myself)? Should I just try to make my half of the brief as good as possible and hope that our Climenko is willing to consider giving separate grades? Otherwise, I'm thinking that I would need to basically write huge chunks my partner's half (he hasn't done anything other than find one, not-so-useful case so far) to have any shot at an H.
Have you talked to your partner? It might be awkward, but it seems like an important step no matter what you choose to do next.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

classis920

New

Post by classis920 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am

Are you in sec 5? Lol

mn40

New

Post by mn40 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I should definitely talk to him again first (I feel like a jerk having to keep asking him about this, but I guess I'd be more of a jerk if I just abandoned his work and focused on my half).

And no, not section 5 haha. I'm guessing that this is a common problem?

classis920

New

Post by classis920 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:45 am

mn40 wrote:Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I should definitely talk to him again first (I feel like a jerk having to keep asking him about this, but I guess I'd be more of a jerk if I just abandoned his work and focused on my half).

Not sure if it's common, but you're definitely not alone. At this point it's clear my partner will not do jackshit. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to write the entire 20 pages by myself or just accept the fact that I'm gonna get a P. My Climenko has said it's possible, though not likely, that we can get a different grade than our partners. Just bad luck I guess.

User007

New

Post by User007 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 am

classis920 wrote:
mn40 wrote:Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I should definitely talk to him again first (I feel like a jerk having to keep asking him about this, but I guess I'd be more of a jerk if I just abandoned his work and focused on my half).

Not sure if it's common, but you're definitely not alone. At this point it's clear my partner will not do jackshit. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to write the entire 20 pages by myself or just accept the fact that I'm gonna get a P. My Climenko has said it's possible, though not likely, that we can get a different grade than our partners. Just bad luck I guess.
For what it's worth, in my LRW section I personally knew 3 teams that had different grades given to partners. It was much more common than our Climenko said it was.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”