Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
appind

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by appind » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm

heythatslife wrote: Seminars are typically capped to 15-20 students and tend to involve more student participation and discussion than black-letter law lecture courses. Also there's a good chance a seminar will be graded on a final paper or a series of papers over the course of semester, as opposed to a final exam.
thx. is there a restriction on when one can take seminars (like RGs only in 1L)? also, I heard that there has been some not so insignificant change in one of the components (not sure which) of curriculum, is that true?

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

appind wrote:
heythatslife wrote: Seminars are typically capped to 15-20 students and tend to involve more student participation and discussion than black-letter law lecture courses. Also there's a good chance a seminar will be graded on a final paper or a series of papers over the course of semester, as opposed to a final exam.
thx. is there a restriction on when one can take seminars (like RGs only in 1L)? also, I heard that there has been some not so insignificant change in one of the components (not sure which) of curriculum, is that true?
You'll spend most of your 1L taking core courses that you have no control over, but in the spring you do get to pick 1 international elective (you pick from 1 of 7 or 8, which will be 1Ls only) and 1 regular elective from the remainder of the course catalog as your schedule permits. So you can take one seminar in your 1L spring, subject to 1) availability; 2) absence of prereqs which may be in play for seminars in certain advanced topics; and 3) your 1L core classes' time slots. Otherwise, for rest of 2L and 3L you can take whatever courses you want from the catalog, seminars included.

The last significant shake-up in the curriculum that I'm aware of was back when Elena Kagan was still the dean, but since I'm a recent graduate, current students may be better qualified to speak to that.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 am

As far as I know, the last significant curriculum change was that the 1L curriculum dropped Con Law and added Leg Reg. I think Problem Solving Workshop during January Term (which is a joke — don't worry about it) dates to that time period, too. This was about a decade ago, I think.

There have been minor tweaks in upper-level electives in recent years (adding a couple Programs of Study, etc.) but nothing big.

knnet

New

Post by knnet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Are there certain 1L professors who are known to give out LPs? I've heard Rubinstein, Donahue, and Mann mentioned along these lines.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 pm

knnet wrote:Are there certain 1L professors who are known to give out LPs? I've heard Rubinstein, Donahue, and Mann mentioned along these lines.
They all basically do. Some people in your class will get them. It probably won't matter either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 am

knnet wrote:Are there certain 1L professors who are known to give out LPs? I've heard Rubinstein, Donahue, and Mann mentioned along these lines.
If you're looking for encouragement from a fellow 1L, I've heard from several people that Mann doesn't give LPs and that Rubenstein's reputation for LPs is overrated. But I'm sure Dcc is right that none of this really matters in the end. Obviously I know as little as you but I'm happy to pass on hearsay that comforts you. Congrats on finishing your first half of exams, cheers to the next two!

knnet

New

Post by knnet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Makes sense! Thanks for the helpful answers. Best of luck on the rest of exams for anyone taking them!

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 am

Has anyone heard of 1L SA offers being revoked due to first semester grades? This is premature but I have a few interviews over the holidays with firms known for extending offers fairly soon post-interview and not waiting for grades. I feel like I did truly terrible on 2/3 of my exams so far. Like I'll just be doing something random and suddenly think of something completely wrong that I said on the exams or some issue I missed. Constantly. I spent all my time studying for the first one and really screwed up the others - especially property w/ Mann. Anyways. Could an LP (or 2??) get an offer revoked?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:08 pm

addie1412 wrote:Has anyone heard of 1L SA offers being revoked due to first semester grades? This is premature but I have a few interviews over the holidays with firms known for extending offers fairly soon post-interview and not waiting for grades. I feel like I did truly terrible on 2/3 of my exams so far. Like I'll just be doing something random and suddenly think of something completely wrong that I said on the exams or some issue I missed. Constantly. I spent all my time studying for the first one and really screwed up the others - especially property w/ Mann. Anyways. Could an LP (or 2??) get an offer revoked?
The best advice I can give you is to try not to stress about grades until you get yours back. Everything is on a curve, grading can be super random, and the school is good enough that grades aren't a dealbreaker. But you also genuinely have no clue about how you did. Nobody does at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Is it true that visiting professors can't give LPs easily?

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:23 pm

curry1 wrote:Is it true that visiting professors can't give LPs easily?
This was discussed up thread like a week ago - I think a page back.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 pm

addie1412 wrote:Has anyone heard of 1L SA offers being revoked due to first semester grades? This is premature but I have a few interviews over the holidays with firms known for extending offers fairly soon post-interview and not waiting for grades. I feel like I did truly terrible on 2/3 of my exams so far. Like I'll just be doing something random and suddenly think of something completely wrong that I said on the exams or some issue I missed. Constantly. I spent all my time studying for the first one and really screwed up the others - especially property w/ Mann. Anyways. Could an LP (or 2??) get an offer revoked?
How you feel about the exam that you took (and what you remember about issues/etc.) is not even slightly predictive of your grade. You don't know. No one knows. You'll find out in January. Any time you spend stressing out before then is wasted time.

Worrying about a firm revoking a 1L SA offer before you get a 1L SA offer is very, very much putting the cart before the horse. Prepare for your interviews. Go in confidently. Get the offer first. Then you can worry about other things.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am

Dcc617 wrote:
The best advice I can give you is to try not to stress about grades until you get yours back. Everything is on a curve, grading can be super random, and the school is good enough that grades aren't a dealbreaker. But you also genuinely have no clue about how you did. Nobody does at this point.
tomwatts wrote:
How you feel about the exam that you took (and what you remember about issues/etc.) is not even slightly predictive of your grade. You don't know. No one knows. You'll find out in January. Any time you spend stressing out before then is wasted time.

Worrying about a firm revoking a 1L SA offer before you get a 1L SA offer is very, very much putting the cart before the horse. Prepare for your interviews. Go in confidently. Get the offer first. Then you can worry about other things.
Thanks to both of you! I'll try to reign in the anxiety

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantorb

Bronze

Post by cantorb » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
They all basically do. Some people in your class will get them. It probably won't matter either way.
FWIW one of my 1L profs with a reputation for not giving LPs gave at least one my year.

I'm not trying to make you more nervous - my point is that almost all 1L profs give LPs, and more people have at least one than you would imagine. It's not the end of the world.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I know folks who kept their 1LSA offers after getting an LP in 1L fall and none that lost it. Even if you get one, you'll probably be fine.
Last edited by whosinthehousejc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Would anyone happen to have an exam to Klarman's 2015 Con History final that scored higher than a P? HMU.

Cambridge1988

New

Post by Cambridge1988 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 pm

anyone have any inside info on whether tomorrow's cancelled day of class will be rescheduled or if j-term will just be a day shorter....?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Don't know anything about this specific situation, but canceled classes are almost always rescheduled, because there's a minimum number of hours associated with each number of credits and HLS classes are usually close to that minimum.

cantorb

Bronze

Post by cantorb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations between 3 courses that are all at the same time (I'm in or at the top of the waitlist of all three): Goldsmith Fed Courts, Freeman Admin, or Crespo Crim Pro.

Thanks!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm

cantorb wrote:Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations between 3 courses that are all at the same time (I'm in or at the top of the waitlist of all three): Goldsmith Fed Courts, Freeman Admin, or Crespo Crim Pro.

Thanks!
Love me some freeman but she is INTENSE. But if you’re into it and her whole vibe she’s fun

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm

cantorb wrote:Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations between 3 courses that are all at the same time (I'm in or at the top of the waitlist of all three): Goldsmith Fed Courts, Freeman Admin, or Crespo Crim Pro.

Thanks!
I assume you're a 2L? If this is coming into your last semester as a 3L, then I'd weight Fed Courts more heavily.

As a 2L, though, i think this is a pick'em.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm

I'd assume that Goldsmith Fed Courts will be gunner-heavy, because Goldsmith and because Fed Courts. I'd suggest not taking this if you're a 2L. (Not that it couldn't be done, just that it's probably hard and you'll have an easier time with more background.)

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 am

Thanks!
If you want to see my beautiful face every Thursday and Friday morning, then Crim Pro all the way :wink:

cantorb

Bronze

Post by cantorb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:

Thanks!
If you want to see my beautiful face every Thursday and Friday morning, then Crim Pro all the way :wink:
Crim pro it is, with a foosball table :)

Thanks everyone for the input (I'm a 2L).

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 am

Any thoughts on Corporations with Clark?

And any thoughts in general on the value of Corporations as a 1L? I was fortunate enough to land an SA and am leaning towards transactional work. I know I'll walk into my SA clueless no matter what, but I was hoping not to be like embarrassingly clueless.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”