Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sfoglia

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by sfoglia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:04 am

malleus discentium wrote:
CenterFringe wrote:Looking to buy a condo in the next couple months, but ASW will be the only chance I have to see the city. How do the different neighborhoods compare, especially for someone who is more social? I can see places that are near the T or campus, but I have no clue how a place like Porter Square compares to Mid Cambridge. Where do Law Students tend to congregate on evenings/weekends?
I don't know how representative my experiences were, but my advice to incoming 1Ls is to prioritize closeness to the law school very highly. If you have even a little trouble making friends in new places, living far is probably going to harm your social life quite a bit. A lot of my social interactions 1L were ad hoc plans that happened quickly, and always centered around the law school area. If you are far away, you are less likely to be able or willing to trek back to the law school at nights to hang out with people. Making good friends will make 1L a lot more bearable, and if you miss out on that because you have to walk 30 minutes to get to campus is it really worth the money you are saving? To be concrete, I would have been very sad as 1L if I had lived in Davis or Central.

Add to this that living far is just a pain, particularly in the winter.
The only reason to move far from the school is if you are an older student. I would not have made it through this year without being able to come home to city and associate with 30-40 year olds. There are plenty of gorgeous apartments minutes from the red line just over the Charles. With a roommate I pay less than some of my classmates, with the benefit of having a pool, gym, etc. My commute is 35 minutes.

If you're young and/or looking to make friends, stay in Cambridge.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 am

Hi 2Ls and 3Ls, I hate it here. Like, loathe. I am the most miserable bitch to step foot on that campus every day.

Do I try to transfer to NYU for next year or hope to be one of the *five* lucky students who get to visit as a 3L?

I'd prefer not to have given up my perfect apartment and perfect boyfriend and charmed life for this massive mistake of a year, only to return when I could've gone to NYU to begin with and not lost everything that was good about living, but I cannot bear to be this miserable for more than another year. If I end up stuck here as a 3L, it won't be pretty.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Well, that changed dramatically. I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't apply to transfer, but it might help to know why you hate it. Is it that you hate law school (in which case you should probably drop out), or is it something specific to HLS/Cambridge (in which case you should transfer)? Or is it just regret for the life you left behind and apparently can't get back (in which case maybe transferring won't do you any good anyway)?

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:25 pm

sfoglia wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
CenterFringe wrote:Looking to buy a condo in the next couple months, but ASW will be the only chance I have to see the city. How do the different neighborhoods compare, especially for someone who is more social? I can see places that are near the T or campus, but I have no clue how a place like Porter Square compares to Mid Cambridge. Where do Law Students tend to congregate on evenings/weekends?
I don't know how representative my experiences were, but my advice to incoming 1Ls is to prioritize closeness to the law school very highly. If you have even a little trouble making friends in new places, living far is probably going to harm your social life quite a bit. A lot of my social interactions 1L were ad hoc plans that happened quickly, and always centered around the law school area. If you are far away, you are less likely to be able or willing to trek back to the law school at nights to hang out with people. Making good friends will make 1L a lot more bearable, and if you miss out on that because you have to walk 30 minutes to get to campus is it really worth the money you are saving? To be concrete, I would have been very sad as 1L if I had lived in Davis or Central.

Add to this that living far is just a pain, particularly in the winter.
The only reason to move far from the school is if you are an older student. I would not have made it through this year without being able to come home to city and associate with 30-40 year olds. There are plenty of gorgeous apartments minutes from the red line just over the Charles. With a roommate I pay less than some of my classmates, with the benefit of having a pool, gym, etc. My commute is 35 minutes.

If you're young and/or looking to make friends, stay in Cambridge.
I already posted about this, but feel the need to chime in again. It's perfectly possible to have a social life and meet friends living slightly away from campus. I lived a short walk from Davis Square, and I absolutely loved it. I had no trouble making friends at HLS, and this was even as a transfer student. I also made friends with some Tufts students since I was close to that campus as well. I had no trouble socializing or dating just because I had a 30-35 minute commute. (And now that I live in NYC, I realize how short that commute actually was)

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Is public transportation pretty reliable? I've heard some horror stories, but I live in a city that is also notorious for having a bad muni system and I think it's fine. My only hesitation about moving further away from campus is that I'll be stranded in the middle of winter, but if that's not a legitimate concern I'll broaden my search.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:42 pm

tomwatts wrote:Well, that changed dramatically. I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't apply to transfer, but it might help to know why you hate it. Is it that you hate law school (in which case you should probably drop out), or is it something specific to HLS/Cambridge (in which case you should transfer)? Or is it just regret for the life you left behind and apparently can't get back (in which case maybe transferring won't do you any good anyway)?
Nothing in the way of classes has changed. I still love (most of) the professors here. But being here is of no special benefit to me as far as my professional career goes, and it has rendered my social and romantic life null and void.

So, back to transferring--do I suffer through another year? If I know I'll be returning home by the end of it, it will be easier; I can get an apartment in the city in the second semester and bounce back and forth if necessary for my sanity. But how many 3Ls usually apply for visiting status? Is it very difficult to get approval?

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

cannonballer wrote:Is public transportation pretty reliable? I've heard some horror stories, but I live in a city that is also notorious for having a bad muni system and I think it's fine. My only hesitation about moving further away from campus is that I'll be stranded in the middle of winter, but if that's not a legitimate concern I'll broaden my search.
I heard the same horror stories, but I've found the red line to be far more reliable than any subway in NYC. I think it's run late a handful of times, but usually not by more than ten minutes or so.

You won't be stranded. There are always Ubers and Lyfts.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:54 pm

sfoglia wrote:Nothing in the way of classes has changed. I still love (most of) the professors here. But being here is of no special benefit to me as far as my professional career goes, and it has rendered my social and romantic life null and void.

So, back to transferring--do I suffer through another year? If I know I'll be returning home by the end of it, it will be easier; I can get an apartment in the city in the second semester and bounce back and forth if necessary for my sanity. But how many 3Ls usually apply for visiting status? Is it very difficult to get approval?
You haven't articulated any reason to stay. If it's just a matter of being far from your community, then go back. Apply to transfer. If there's some complication, then bring that up, but you haven't said anything that sounds like a reason to stay so far.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 am

tomwatts wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Nothing in the way of classes has changed. I still love (most of) the professors here. But being here is of no special benefit to me as far as my professional career goes, and it has rendered my social and romantic life null and void.

You haven't articulated any reason to stay. If it's just a matter of being far from your community, then go back. Apply to transfer. If there's some complication, then bring that up, but you haven't said anything that sounds like a reason to stay so far.
Grades. $$$. Whether having that H on my resume is worth another eight months, since I've already made it halfway (assuming a visiting 3L year would be approved).

(Things that also hurt: having to say, "Oh, gee, I threw my life away for absolutely no reason AT ALL." I may know that this was a huge mistake, but moving back for a degree at NYU is cementing it as a reality. It's kind of hard to stomach having given up so much only to have nothing to show for it.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 am

sfoglia wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Grades. $$$. Whether having that H on my resume is worth another eight months, since I've already made it halfway (assuming a visiting 3L year would be approved).

(Things that also hurt: having to say, "Oh, gee, I threw my life away for absolutely no reason AT ALL." I may know that this was a huge mistake, but moving back for a degree at NYU is cementing it as a reality. It's kind of hard to stomach having given up so much only to have nothing to show for it.)
Ultimately only you can decide how much these things are worth to you, relative to each other.
You'll also be giving up whatever financial aid you're receiving if any by transferring, but you've probably thought of that already.
But if you do decide that transferring is the right call and that you're not gaining by staying, then my advice would be not to fret about time you've spent at HLS already. Just consider it sunk cost and move on with life.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:50 am

sfoglia wrote:
hope to be one of the *five* lucky students who get to visit as a 3L?
Also, damn, is this option available for NYU? I thought it was just for Berkeley. If so, I wish I had known, because my spouse entered a graduate program at an NYC school after I started law school.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:25 am

sfoglia wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that! Do you think that transferring to NYU will really improve things, given that it's after all still law school?

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 am

sfoglia wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

It sounds like your main complaint about Harvard is your lack of a social network in the area. That can really be tough, especially during stressful times. If that's really what it is, and you don't feel like you can cope with it, maybe a move to NYU is the answer. But it also sounds like you're still mourning losses from some time ago, and that might be clouding your judgment. I won't attempt any online psychoanalysis, but I will point out that the University offers some counseling services. Perhaps they could help you clarify your feelings and needs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that! Do you think that transferring to NYU will really improve things, given that it's after all still law school?
I would hope it's still a law school, seeing as I want to practice law. (And enjoy studying it, for the matter.)

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 pm

robotrick wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

It sounds like your main complaint about Harvard is your lack of a social network in the area. That can really be tough, especially during stressful times. If that's really what it is, and you don't feel like you can cope with it, maybe a move to NYU is the answer. But it also sounds like you're still mourning losses from some time ago, and that might be clouding your judgment. I won't attempt any online psychoanalysis, but I will point out that the University offers some counseling services. Perhaps they could help you clarify your feelings and needs.
It's an issue of resources, more than anything. If my summer job hunt is any indication, being here is not doing me any favors anyway. If I believed there was going to be some benefit to being here, I'd be willing to stay, but it sounds like the difference between a Harvard degree and an NYU one is not worth it.

Would've loved for someone to tell me that when I was making the decision, rather than insisting this place was the holy grail. :roll: :roll:

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 am

At what point after graduation do our HLS logins stop working, or do they stay valid? I'm thinking specifically of things like the clerkship page and the exam bank (e.g., pneumonia.jd17 – not our HUIDs).

ScratchableItch

Bronze

Post by ScratchableItch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:44 am

Pneumonia wrote:At what point after graduation do our HLS logins stop working, or do they stay valid? I'm thinking specifically of things like the clerkship page and the exam bank (e.g., pneumonia.jd17 – not our HUIDs).
It seems to depend on what you're trying to access. I believe we have lifetime access to our emails. The CSM/Symplicity page I think can be accessed like normal, but other HLS pages (like the clerkship resources or OCS pages) require an alumni access code which you can find on your CSM/Symplicity page after you graduate. Westlaw/Lexis works for six months after graduation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 am

ScratchableItch wrote:Westlaw/Lexis works for six months after graduation.
This is good to know, thanks!

xn3345

New

Post by xn3345 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Hey Harvard people,

I'm on Harvard's waitlist and likely committing to Chicago. My goals are not unique: in an ideal world, I'd clerk and be an AUSA someday. I will not need to take out loans to attend either school.

I loved Chicago's ASW, so much so that it's hard for me to imagine myself feeling as good at Harvard. The campus, class size, and culture at U Chicago felt like such a good fit. Moreover, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about HLS, i.e. an overabundance of competitive sociopaths and a dearth of community. The campus is also lacking relative to Chicago in my opinion. Chicago shat on HLS a lot for having professors that are inaccessible by students.

With that said, it's Harvard Law. It'll definitely leave a bigger impression on my in-laws, family friends, randos, etc. than Chicago. I'm insecure and like validation, so that's meaningful to me. Plus, I haven't given HLS the same opportunity to seduce me that I gave Chicago.

Anyways, should I stay on the waitlist? Can any of you speak to the criticisms of Harvard or tell me some things that Harvard offers that Chicago doesn't? Should I just stay on till acceptance and then decline in order to feed my greedy ego?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm

xn3345 wrote:Moreover, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about HLS, i.e. an overabundance of competitive sociopaths and a dearth of community. The campus is also lacking relative to Chicago in my opinion. Chicago shat on HLS a lot for having professors that are inaccessible by students.
I never encountered an overabundance of competitive sociopaths. I don't think that really exists. There may be a few — I couldn't name one off the top of my head from my time there, but it's not like I knew everyone — but they're easily avoided.

As far as dearth of community, your section is definitely a community for the first year (and, to whatever extent you want, also after). There are a lot of smaller communities, too, which people usually get involved with during/after the first year (everything from Parody on the one hand to ACS/Fed Soc on the other). You can definitely find your niche.

I never found professors to be inaccessible either, even the big-name ones. I could go to office hours whenever I felt like it, get recs, etc. There are a few classes that are hard to get into because everyone wants them and there are only so many spaces, but that's the only thing like inaccessibility that I ever experienced at HLS.

As far as pluses of HLS over Chicago, everything that comes to mind relates to the size of the school. There are more things of almost every sort available at HLS — clinics, journals, obscure classes, etc. — and the alumni network is deeper (more people doing more different things in more places).

But it's not like HLS is objectively better than Chicago for all people. If you liked Chicago, go to Chicago. At the end of the day, I doubt there are significant differences in employment prospects for what you've described (although that would be worth checking just to be sure), so it really comes down to where you feel like spending three years.
Last edited by tomwatts on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:16 pm

To follow up tomwatts:

There are surely good reasons to go to Chicago over HLS — scholarship money, culture fit, geographical preference, etc. However, I definitely strongly dispute the silly stereotypes mentioned above. I don't know a single person at HLS that I would call a competitive sociopath (or even close), and most professors are very accessible. Just go to office hours or stick around after class and they're happy to talk. It was easy to get clerkship rec letters as well. (Maybe a few profs are more crusty or stand-offish than others, but show me a law school where every single professor is a bubbly extrovert). I also don't think there are meaningful differences in "community" between law schools — if the concern with HLS is that there are so many students, I point out that you spend a ton of time 1L year with your ~75 person section, and there are a huge amount of extracurriculars to get involved in if you want other community options.

In general I would take anything said by one law school criticizing another law school with a huge grain of salt. Can't blame Chicago for trying to minimize the significant amount of students it loses every year to HLS, but clearly there's a conflict of interest here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tr5890

New

Post by tr5890 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Does the "jd20" part of our "jd20.law.harvard.edu" eventually go away?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:52 pm

tr5890 wrote:Does the "jd20" part of our "jd20.law.harvard.edu" eventually go away?
Nope

neptunian

New

Post by neptunian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Having trouble registering for a new account on hls dope. Any solutions?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 pm

neptunian wrote:Having trouble registering for a new account on hls dope. Any solutions?
Dope has gotten a little rickety since TripTrip joined the circus. But he took care of us before he left by sending out an email containing all of the site's resources. If you PM your HLS email address, I'll be happy to forward it to you.
ETA - PM'd

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”