Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 pm

$1.99 wrote:i got rejected at harvard and i feel sad, can you guys say some stuff to ease my pain?
You avoided the mistake of "dropp[ing] a hundred and fifty grand on a fuckin education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library."

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 pm

lol thank you i feel better

oxsoulxo

New

Post by oxsoulxo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:48 am

Hello,

I had what I hope's not too silly of a question about first year books :) When does the list of books we need come out, and how much does it really end up costing? Are there ways to get good copies for a cheaper price? My 1L friend from Boalt told me that 2Ls often passed down their textbooks, and this got me dreaming grand dreams.... haha

Thank you so much for your help!

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 am

As I recall, the book list for 1Ls will come out around the same time you get your section assignments (a few weeks before classes?) You can buy your books at the HLS bookstore, but they will cost a small fortune - I remember spending almost $900 on casebooks and supplements. Two recommendations: 1. if you have enough time to do so before classes start, buy your books online. You will save a ton even if you buy new (though I recommend used unless you are the type who must have new books, which I used to think I was, but no longer do due to the ridiculous prices!) If they don't come in time before classes start, you can buy the book at the bookstore and then return it - though be careful on the return policy (I think you can only return within a few days), and obviously this doesn't work for books that come shrinkwrapped. 2. DO NOT buy any of the supplements that the law school bookstore recommends, at least not initially. Wait until you get a sense for your classes and which ones you will need supplements for, and talk to other students about which ones are the best for each course/professor. The ones they recommend at the bookstore are not necessarily the best, and you can always buy the ones you want for cheaper online anyway.

As far as getting books handed down to you by 2Ls, that will probably only happen if you know generous 2Ls (who haven't already sold their books) before you start school.

...hope that helps!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Is $360 a year reasonable for renters insurance? Any suggestions for who to get it with?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:35 pm

sarahh wrote:Is $360 a year reasonable for renters insurance? Any suggestions for who to get it with?
That seems kind of high. How big is your place? My 1 BR apt is around $150 a year through State Farm.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 pm

gilagarta wrote:
sarahh wrote:Is $360 a year reasonable for renters insurance? Any suggestions for who to get it with?
That seems kind of high. How big is your place? My 1 BR apt is around $150 a year through State Farm.
About 700 square feet.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

State Farm says they are not issuing new policies in Massachussets. Any other suggestions? The $360 quote is from Geico.

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:20 pm

I have a policy through Liberty Mutual that is cheaper than that, so you could try them!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oxsoulxo

New

Post by oxsoulxo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:21 am

Thank you so much for your help with the books :D

li89

New

Post by li89 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:53 am

what's the likelihood of being able to come home for thanksgiving? I live on the west coast, so it's about a 5 hour direct flight. I'm on the end of the spectrum that takes vacations to see my fam whenever possible, but I've heard a lot of law student friends say that going home Wednesday-Sunday is out of the question unless I want to fall very far behind. Do people at hls take the time to go home over Tgiving, or not so much? I know it varies from person to person, but I wanted to get a general idea of whether or not I should get my hopes up.

thanks!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:21 pm

li89 wrote:what's the likelihood of being able to come home for thanksgiving? I live on the west coast, so it's about a 5 hour direct flight. I'm on the end of the spectrum that takes vacations to see my fam whenever possible, but I've heard a lot of law student friends say that going home Wednesday-Sunday is out of the question unless I want to fall very far behind. Do people at hls take the time to go home over Tgiving, or not so much? I know it varies from person to person, but I wanted to get a general idea of whether or not I should get my hopes up.

thanks!
most of the 1Ls I knew went home for thxgiving, though most f them also happen to live in the NE. i live in TX and i did not go back home, but that was more due to me not feeling like the few days was worth the ticket and trip and not because of work. i think i did almost no work over thxgiving break and did not fall behind at all. i mean i did a few hrs here or there, but nothing out of the ordinary.

so yes, i think from a work perspective, at least from what ive seen (and what some of my closer friends have seen), you can fly back to the west coast if you are so inclined and not fall behind in work.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:34 am

li89 wrote:what's the likelihood of being able to come home for thanksgiving? I live on the west coast, so it's about a 5 hour direct flight. I'm on the end of the spectrum that takes vacations to see my fam whenever possible, but I've heard a lot of law student friends say that going home Wednesday-Sunday is out of the question unless I want to fall very far behind. Do people at hls take the time to go home over Tgiving, or not so much? I know it varies from person to person, but I wanted to get a general idea of whether or not I should get my hopes up.

thanks!
I took a full week off (missed 2 days of class Thanksgiving week), spent that week in San Diego, did no work, and ended up fine. From what I'm told lots of other people also headed home for Thanksgiving (you can take DoubleChecks' word on this, as he was in my section; I can't really verify it because I was hanging out at the beach).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:40 pm

What is the purpose of the break from 1L classes October 5-7th?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm

nihilism is key wrote:What is the purpose of the break from 1L classes October 5-7th?
That used to be your make-up for flyout week. This year, I'm not sure why you have that. Do 1L classes start on the 12th as well?

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 pm

GeePee wrote:
nihilism is key wrote:What is the purpose of the break from 1L classes October 5-7th?
That used to be your make-up for flyout week. This year, I'm not sure why you have that. Do 1L classes start on the 12th as well?
Nope, August 31st.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 pm

ebeth wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Nope, August 31st.
Oh, that makes sense then. That's why.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 pm

well since this is HLS students answering questions...I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls!

now that we start 9/12 and 1Ls start 8/31...if you're on a journal, will the introductory meeting take place before 9/12?! i....dont plan on being up till 9/9 or 9/10...but i dont think it is good for board members to miss journal info sessions/recruitment...right? or will that all happen 2 weeks after school...i dont remember how it worked for us -- it seems like such a long time ago....

oxsoulxo

New

Post by oxsoulxo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:40 am

Do all 1Ls have classes over the winter term, meaning we actually have to be back by January 3rd? :)

About the October break, from the Dean of Students office: "From what I understand, the administrative rationale behind giving 1Ls a couple of extra days off is simply to provide a brief mid-semester break to help offset the fact that 1Ls begin classes earlier than returning students and to help counterbalance the week 2 and 3Ls used to have off for flyout week in years past. Although the academic calendar and scheduling has changed since that time, even from last year to this year, there is still a strong feeling among administrators that a short, extra break in the fall semester is benefitial for 1Ls. "

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 am

oxsoulxo wrote:Do all 1Ls have classes over the winter term, meaning we actually have to be back by January 3rd? :)

About the October break, from the Dean of Students office: "From what I understand, the administrative rationale behind giving 1Ls a couple of extra days off is simply to provide a brief mid-semester break to help offset the fact that 1Ls begin classes earlier than returning students and to help counterbalance the week 2 and 3Ls used to have off for flyout week in years past. Although the academic calendar and scheduling has changed since that time, even from last year to this year, there is still a strong feeling among administrators that a short, extra break in the fall semester is benefitial for 1Ls. "
very helpful! thanks.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:05 pm

oxsoulxo wrote:Do all 1Ls have classes over the winter term, meaning we actually have to be back by January 3rd? :)
yes. very short winter breaks. 1Ls have mandatory winter term.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 pm

How necessary is it to have your own printer? I half-heartedly attempted to find out if printing is free in the library, but even so would it be simpler/more convenient to have one at home (I know it was in undergrad)? I have heard people saying it is more cost effective to get a laser printer because of the amount you will be printing, any real truth to this?

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:43 pm

hulahoop wrote:How necessary is it to have your own printer? I half-heartedly attempted to find out if printing is free in the library, but even so would it be simpler/more convenient to have one at home (I know it was in undergrad)? I have heard people saying it is more cost effective to get a laser printer because of the amount you will be printing, any real truth to this?

I regret nothing: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-5340D- ... B001XUQP9G

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 pm

hulahoop wrote:How necessary is it to have your own printer? I half-heartedly attempted to find out if printing is free in the library, but even so would it be simpler/more convenient to have one at home (I know it was in undergrad)? I have heard people saying it is more cost effective to get a laser printer because of the amount you will be printing, any real truth to this?
i think we get 100 pages free or something like that for printing at the library or Hauser comp lab...iunno, i got a printer.

that being said, i dont think a laser is necessary...i never printed that much. what did these people even say they were printing? besides your LRW briefs (which you'd print at the library), i dont know what would be so paper intensive.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 pm

we got 1k pages for the year at the library and i used them all up. i also owned a laser printer and went through 2 toner cartridges. your printing habits may vary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”