Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
guppiesbaby

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by guppiesbaby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 am

Dcc617 wrote:
guppiesbaby wrote:Hi all! Way back in this or another HLS thread, I saw people talking about getting access to the Harvard gyms before school starts/before getting a HUID.

I emailed the membership guy for H gyms and he nixed this, said I had to wait to get my HUID.

Any crafty ways of getting around this, etc.? Getting to Cambridge in July and would love to get my gym on...

Thanks!
You should have your HUID number by then. That's all I needed to get in the gym before I got my ID.
Thanks!!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm

tomwatts wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:Do u know about the JD/MBA program? Is their an admission advantage in that program? People here have said I have a shot at harvard law, but not the business school. I want to get in the business school so would applying for the duel program be good? Thank you for all your help!
Being a 1L at HLS is a small boost to admission at HBS, but, well, only a small boost. If you're not likely to get into HBS as is, you're probably not all that much more likely if you're at HLS.
theventriloquist wrote:Also, do u think that JD/MBA would be good job-wise? I'd like to work in IB, but I can't get into the business school. I imagine that JD/MBA would be good to open doors in the top place.
This is not something I know a lot about, but if you want to work in IB, I don't think that the JD does you any good. Just get an MBA.

But also, how do you know you want to work in IB? It sounds like you have no education or work experience even tangentially related to that.
theventriloquist wrote:I have not taken GMAt but I took MCAT (for medical school, harder than GMAT) and got in the upper 99 percentile.
If you got far enough along as a pre-med that you did that well on the MCAT, why are you not going to medical school? You must have put years into it and gotten right to the point where you could do it and then backed off....
theventriloquist wrote:Also, do u know if the GMAT has strong influence in MBA admission? I am good at standarized tests, even since high school, so I wonder if a good score would compensate for poor grades and lack of business experience at the business school?
A bad GMAT score keeps you out. A good GMAT score doesn't necessarily get you in. You still need all the other things that they're looking for.
Thanks for the advice and help. I think a T6 JD/MBA or JD alone would open more doors than an MBA from a low ranking MBA program. I'm interested in restructuring.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:17 pm

HLSstudent wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:Also, do u think that JD/MBA would be good job-wise? I'd like to work in IB, but I can't get into the business school. I imagine that JD/MBA would be good to open doors in the top place.
This is not something I know a lot about, but if you want to work in IB, I don't think that the JD does you any good. Just get an MBA.
I agree the JD in a JD/MBA doesn't add much for IB. But, you can definitely get IB for 2L summer or full-time with just a JD if you put a bit of effort into it.
Thaks for that. Even w/out any formal experience in finance or IB? Thank you

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Also, I have heard HSL and other T6 schools have good courses in business that law students can take. Are the business courses at HSL very quantitive? And would, say, IB/PE firms consider those courses? (I want to break into IB through law school. As I don't have the stats for a M10, but have a chance at T6). Thank you again for all your hlep.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 pm

theventriloquist wrote:Also, I have heard HSL and other T6 schools have good courses in business that law students can take. Are the business courses at HSL very quantitive? And would, say, IB/PE firms consider those courses? (I want to break into IB through law school. As I don't have the stats for a M10, but have a chance at T6). Thank you again for all your hlep.
Bro, you have posts from earlier this week about how your experience with cancer made you want to go to law school to do bio research..? Leaving aside this and the whole issue that going to law school to "break into IB" makes no sense, you're very unlikely to get into HLS anyway with your 2.9 UGPA and — quite honestly — relatively poor command of English. There's no chance of you getting into HBS with zero business/industry experience and those grades. Take the advice of the people who replied to your "What are my chances?" post; you're not going to help yourself fishing for answers you like more in other threads.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:Also, I have heard HSL and other T6 schools have good courses in business that law students can take. Are the business courses at HSL very quantitive? And would, say, IB/PE firms consider those courses? (I want to break into IB through law school. As I don't have the stats for a M10, but have a chance at T6). Thank you again for all your hlep.
Bro, you have posts from earlier this week about how your experience with cancer made you want to go to law school to do bio research..? Leaving aside this and the whole issue that going to law school to "break into IB" makes no sense, you're very unlikely to get into HLS anyway with your 2.9 UGPA and — quite honestly — relatively poor command of English. There's no chance of you getting into HBS with zero business/industry experience and those grades. Take the advice of the people who replied to your "What are my chances?" post; you're not going to help yourself fishing for answers you like more in other threads.
I did, they said I have a shot at T6 ok? I was asking a general question about the finance and businesses courses at law schools. So what is the problem?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
I did, they said I have a shot at T6 ok? I was asking a general question about the finance and businesses courses at law schools. So what is the problem?
My post wasn't in response to that specifically, but rather in response to the numerous posts you've been spamming across a bunch of threads (though not the post where you ask whether women at BC are "easy to fuck"). But to answer your question: No, of course law school business courses don't give you heavy quant. They're law school courses.

tangers91

New

Post by tangers91 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Hey all. I just received my timeslot for room selection on May 9th (1st day of selection for incoming JDs) and it is the very last time on that day (21:00). In your opinion, how releastic do you think it is that a room in North will be available? Thanks in advance!

neptunian

New

Post by neptunian » Tue May 02, 2017 3:52 am

To piggyback off the previous question, I got a 19:00 slot. Should I expect to get a not so ideal type I room in Gropius? Will we get the floorplan before the room pick?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 am

Vaguely remembering from a few years back... I think that a few rooms in North and a fair number of Type I and II rooms in Gropius were available as of fairly late in the selection process. I think singles in Hastings (the really expensive kind) were also still available. Not much else was. The larger rooms in Gropius (Type III and up) tend to go pretty early.

You have access to floorplans now, I think. Google hls gropius and you get a page with a link to floorplans.

tangers91

New

Post by tangers91 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:22 pm

tomwatts wrote:Vaguely remembering from a few years back... I think that a few rooms in North and a fair number of Type I and II rooms in Gropius were available as of fairly late in the selection process. I think singles in Hastings (the really expensive kind) were also still available. Not much else was. The larger rooms in Gropius (Type III and up) tend to go pretty early.

You have access to floorplans now, I think. Google hls gropius and you get a page with a link to floorplans.
Good to hear, and thanks for the input. I'm a pretty big guy so I think Gropius I and II is just out of the question, so fingers crossed for Hastings or North.

xn3345

New

Post by xn3345 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Would any Harvard students, preferably someone that went straight through from undergrad as I will be, be willing to talk to me on the phone? I'm on Harvard's waitlist and currently committed to Chicago. If I get an offer, I'll have to decide in 24 hours. I haven't been able to talk to any Harvard students, so some negative stereotypes have a huge influence on how I imagine life at HLS. I spent nearly three full days at Chicago's ASW. That dispelled all of the stereotypes I had heard about Chicago. If someone would be willing to talk to me about their experience at HLS for a while, I would be so grateful. I'm operating on so little concrete information. It would be such a relief to have the perspective of someone actually spending time there. If you're feeling extremely generous or want to procrastinate, send me a PM. It would mean a lot.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 am

WHen do we get our schedules?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 am

taxman14 wrote:WHen do we get our schedules?

As I remember it, sometime in early- to mid- August.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 am

Pneumonia wrote:

As I remember it, sometime in early- to mid- August.
thx!

ThrowawayPanda11

New

Post by ThrowawayPanda11 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:34 pm

According to http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/dos/housing ... s-complex/ the listed gender designations for gropius were last updated August 2015... Have any of the floor/bathroom gender designations for gropius have changed since then? Thanks!

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm

For the 1Ls this year it was August 10th

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Mon May 08, 2017 2:08 pm

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 pm

ThrowawayPanda11 wrote:According to http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/dos/housing ... s-complex/ the listed gender designations for gropius were last updated August 2015... Have any of the floor/bathroom gender designations for gropius have changed since then? Thanks!
No. They put that language there because August 2015 was the first time they were updated since . . . I don't know, whenever the law school went coed.

Post-2015, the Gropius floor plans online used to have the bathrooms listed incorrectly (because they were image files that were hard to update). I don't know if they've corrected them now. (That part of the website is closed down to alumni.)

There was talk at one point about making all/most of the bathrooms gender neutral, but they would definitely have announced that prior to you selecting rooms.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm

lawlorbust wrote:WE DODGED A BULLET

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... etown.html
I honest to god feel really bad for her.

Can you imagine being a 1L and knowing that your first coldcall flub is likely to get plastered all over the news (or at least ATL)?

I mean, she's obviously got more to deal with than just that, but damn...

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 am

Hey, does anyone know, what percent of students from HLS go into non-law carrears, by choice? Like, not the ones who can't get a law job, but the ones who choose a non-law job like Finance or consulting? Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 am

theventriloquist wrote:Hey, does anyone know, what percent of students from HLS go into non-law carrears, by choice? Like, not the ones who can't get a law job, but the ones who choose a non-law job like Finance or consulting? Thanks
I quickly Googled and came up with recent employment data showing that the class of 2016, 10 months out, had about 5% of people (29 out of 588) employed in "Business & Industry." In a different portion of the data, 34 grads were in "JD Advantage" jobs (i.e., jobs that the employer would prefer to fill with someone who has a law degree but the job doesn't specifically require a lawyer) and 3 were in "Professional Position" (which I gather means that they don't care whether you're a lawyer or not). I would assume that anyone going into finance/consulting would be in the "Professional Position" category — but I'm surprised it's as low as 3 people. I would've expected higher.

I personally knew four people who were going into non-law jobs (spread out across several class years). One was going into consulting. Of the other three, the jobs they said they were getting were: high school teacher, software engineer, and — well, I don't actually know what he meant, but he said he was going to play video games for a living, and he got a job at Blizzard.

And I knew a lot of people going into policy jobs, but I consider those essentially law jobs even if they're not exactly "the practice of law" per se.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue May 09, 2017 4:33 pm

tomwatts wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:Hey, does anyone know, what percent of students from HLS go into non-law carrears, by choice? Like, not the ones who can't get a law job, but the ones who choose a non-law job like Finance or consulting? Thanks
I quickly Googled and came up with recent employment data showing that the class of 2016, 10 months out, had about 5% of people (29 out of 588) employed in "Business & Industry." In a different portion of the data, 34 grads were in "JD Advantage" jobs (i.e., jobs that the employer would prefer to fill with someone who has a law degree but the job doesn't specifically require a lawyer) and 3 were in "Professional Position" (which I gather means that they don't care whether you're a lawyer or not). I would assume that anyone going into finance/consulting would be in the "Professional Position" category — but I'm surprised it's as low as 3 people. I would've expected higher.

I personally knew four people who were going into non-law jobs (spread out across several class years). One was going into consulting. Of the other three, the jobs they said they were getting were: high school teacher, software engineer, and — well, I don't actually know what he meant, but he said he was going to play video games for a living, and he got a job at Blizzard.

And I knew a lot of people going into policy jobs, but I consider those essentially law jobs even if they're not exactly "the practice of law" per se.
I'm pretty sure MBB/banking are categorized as "JD advantage" positions. That said, 34 is shockingly high (even if before you subtract out the JD/MBAs), compared to my baseline expectations of what that number would be.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue May 09, 2017 5:02 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

I'm pretty sure MBB/banking are categorized as "JD advantage" positions. That said, 34 is shockingly high (even if before you subtract out the JD/MBAs), compared to my baseline expectations of what that number would be.
I mean, we graduate like 600 students per year.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 pm

tomwatts wrote:

Thanks for that info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”