Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
schocolate

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by schocolate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am

together41 wrote:
schocolate wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:Does anyone know if it will be one day of calls or two this year?
It seems like they made their calls yesterday but if anyone declined, they'll call more people to fill those spots today.
Do you have that confirmed in any way?
Nope, not really. A friend got on and said they had until noon today to give an answer, so this is just speculation based on that.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm

schocolate wrote:
together41 wrote:
schocolate wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:Does anyone know if it will be one day of calls or two this year?
It seems like they made their calls yesterday but if anyone declined, they'll call more people to fill those spots today.
Do you have that confirmed in any way?
Nope, not really. A friend got on and said they had until noon today to give an answer, so this is just speculation based on that.
The answer is that calls are scheduled go out randomly over a period of several days to ensure that no one could figure out who may have gotten in "off the waitlist" or whatever. Hopefully no one would give a second thought to something like that anyway, but there isn't much law students won't speculate on. See, e.g., TLS. :roll:

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm

radio1nowhere wrote: The answer is that calls are scheduled go out randomly over a period of several days to ensure that no one could figure out who may have gotten in "off the waitlist" or whatever. Hopefully no one would give a second thought to something like that anyway, but there isn't much law students won't speculate on. See, e.g., TLS. :roll:
So have all the calls been made yet?

schocolate

Silver

Post by schocolate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:29 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:The answer is that calls are scheduled go out randomly over a period of several days to ensure that no one could figure out who may have gotten in "off the waitlist" or whatever. Hopefully no one would give a second thought to something like that anyway, but there isn't much law students won't speculate on. See, e.g., TLS. :roll:
Speculation cheerfully withdrawn!

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Where do HLS students commonly eat? I know that there's no dining hall and if you're living off-campus you may have a big kitchen for cooking. But what about students living on campus, where do you go to eat?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

taxman14 wrote:Where do HLS students commonly eat? I know that there's no dining hall and if you're living off-campus you may have a big kitchen for cooking. But what about students living on campus, where do you go to eat?
The Hark is popular for lunch; it's in the same building that most (all?) of your classes will be in. I didn't live on campus so I'm not sure about breakfast/dinner.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm

taxman14 wrote:Where do HLS students commonly eat? I know that there's no dining hall and if you're living off-campus you may have a big kitchen for cooking. But what about students living on campus, where do you go to eat?
There is a dining hall: the Hark in the WCC, which last year was open M-F for breakfast and lunch. The Pub Grille (Mini-Hark) in the WCC has a more limited selection but is open on weekday evenings for dinner (except Friday). There aren't any on-campus dining options available during the evenings on the weekend, but for breakfast and lunch on Saturdays and Sundays the Mini-Hark is open.

Lots of students eat off campus frequently. Harvard Square is a close walk and there are options on Mass Ave as you head north toward Porter Square. You will come to love and hate Cambridge Common (the restaurant; the park is nice).

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Curious whether people think it's worth it to take Securities Regulation if already Series 79 certified.

Corporate lawyers and litigators alike ranked it very high in the Harvard survey of most useful business courses a few years back.

I learned what I needed in order to pass the Series 79 exam, but didn't apply the principles much (if at all) in the job that required me to take it.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 am

someone through a law review bone here and satisfy my curiosity please

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:51 pm

HLR rejections coming in hot #selfcallout

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 pm

LHS17 wrote:Curious whether people think it's worth it to take Securities Regulation if already Series 79 certified.

Corporate lawyers and litigators alike ranked it very high in the Harvard survey of most useful business courses a few years back.

I learned what I needed in order to pass the Series 79 exam, but didn't apply the principles much (if at all) in the job that required me to take it.
Was that an alumni survey? The secreg offerings at specifically HLS are quite abysmal.

SCOTUS Twerk

New

Post by SCOTUS Twerk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm

ValeVale wrote:
together41 wrote:Related to the earlier discussion, has anyone heard from law review yet?
According to clerkship blog, someone has heard.
What blog is this?

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Yasmina Abdel-Malek
Simon Barnicle
Leila Bijan
Molly Brown
Sarah Catalano
Grayson Clary
Catherine Coquillette
Yoseph Desta
Anneke Dunbar-Gronke
Clare Duncan
Blake Ellison
Daniel Farewell
Imani R. Franklin
Harleen Gambhir
Mary Goetz
Emerson Gordon-Marvin
Maxwell Gottschall
Harry Graver
Matthew Griechen
Victoria Hall-Palerm
Andrew Leon Hanna
Andrew Hellman
Tre Holloway
Ellora Israni
Madeline Jenks
Ben Jernigan
Sarah Kahwash
Caitlin Kearney
Kevin Keller
Cason Kynes
Harry Larson
Jesse Lempel
Paul Maneri
Marissa Marandola
Rebecca Martin
Hannah Mullen
Alisan Oliver-Li
Catherine Padhi
Ali Remick
Dawson Robinson
Sandra Gonzalez Sanchez
Spencer Smith
Zach Tan
Robin Tholin
Michael Thomas
Jessica Zhang

Congratulations!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:57 pm

SCOTUS Twerk wrote:
ValeVale wrote:
together41 wrote:Related to the earlier discussion, has anyone heard from law review yet?
According to clerkship blog, someone has heard.
What blog is this?
The Bench.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:41 pm

curry1 wrote:Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.
How much work is it? Probably no, with a very soft "maybe" as a K-JD if you're seriously considering recruiting for consulting / banking.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:49 pm

curry1 wrote:Would you recommend doing HBX, or will it be too much of a time sink during 1l? I was admitted off the waitlist, so I did not have the opportunity to complete it during the summer. I'm a KJD, in case that's relevant.
Definitely do not do this during 1L. you can do it during 1L summer if you reallly want to

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nubcs

New

Post by nubcs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm in the middle of the 8-week course (the shortest one). They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment, which sounds about right based on what other people have been saying it's taking them. The material isn't too difficult (yet), but it's hard to speed through because of the way the course is designed, with multiple short videos and interaction points; the course is also gated by week, so you can't just bang out all of it when you find the time to.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 pm

nubcs wrote:They say it's supposed to be about a 15-20 hours a week commitment
Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 pm

tomwatts wrote:
Holy moly. In light of this, I'd say it's clearly too much to be done during 1L.
Yeah that's completely unworkable. There's no reason to even attempt it. And honestly I'm baffled as to why the administration would even offer it as an option to 1Ls during the term.

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 pm

tomwatts wrote:
Hahahaha. Yes, that's ridiculous.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 am

tomwatts wrote:
Eh?

I definitely played 15 hours a week or so of video games during 1L.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 am

Joscellin wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
Eh?

Im sure I spent 15 hours a week or so watching Netflix or dicking around online, but I really would not have wanted to spend that time doing work instead, which I think is the point

agnes_bean

New

Post by agnes_bean » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am

theconsigliere wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
Eh?

Im sure I spent 15 hours a week or so watching Netflix or dicking around online, but I really would not have wanted to spend that time doing work instead, which I think is the point
Yeah, I second theconsigliere. Unless you're approaching it in some crazy way, 1L isn't so intense that you don't have a spare 15-20 hours outside of law school work. But it is intense enough that you probably don't have 15-20 hours to spend on MORE classwork. Downtime is essential.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Fair enough. I just wanted to disabuse the notion that even 1L is necessarily *that* intense.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”