Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Joscellin

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 am

addie1412 wrote:Any thoughts on Corporations with Clark?

And any thoughts in general on the value of Corporations as a 1L? I was fortunate enough to land an SA and am leaning towards transactional work. I know I'll walk into my SA clueless no matter what, but I was hoping not to be like embarrassingly clueless.
I loved Clark for corporations. He's a surprisingly engaging lecturer, and he has a tendency to sing to the class.

He also never takes attendance or cold calls - you'll be on call twice per semester in there but you'll know on which days from the beginning of the semester.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 am

Joscellin wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Any thoughts on Corporations with Clark?

And any thoughts in general on the value of Corporations as a 1L? I was fortunate enough to land an SA and am leaning towards transactional work. I know I'll walk into my SA clueless no matter what, but I was hoping not to be like embarrassingly clueless.
I loved Clark for corporations. He's a surprisingly engaging lecturer, and he has a tendency to sing to the class.

He also never takes attendance or cold calls - you'll be on call twice per semester in there but you'll know on which days from the beginning of the semester.
Awesome, thanks! :mrgreen:

raspberryo

New

Post by raspberryo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 pm

any thoughts on when grades will be up?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:15 pm

raspberryo wrote:any thoughts on when grades will be up?
Fall grades have historically come out the first week of spring term. The exact date has varied, but it's usually mid-week:
1/25/17 (Wednesday)
1/28/16 (Thursday)
1/27/15 (Tuesday)
1/28/14 (Tuesday)
1/28/13 (Monday)
1/26/12 (Thursday)
1/27/11 (Thursday)

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 am

Just talked to someone in the registrar's office: they told me definitely not today, maybe later this week, but more likely next week or even first week of February. I'm not sure I believe that (it seems like they told me that to make me go away) but take that for what it's worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:16 pm

wubwubwub wrote:Just talked to someone in the registrar's office: they told me definitely not today, maybe later this week, but more likely next week or even first week of February. I'm not sure I believe that (it seems like they told me that to make me go away) but take that for what it's worth.
This crushes my soul.

fozzie

New

Post by fozzie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:19 pm

twochipmunks wrote:
wubwubwub wrote:Just talked to someone in the registrar's office: they told me definitely not today, maybe later this week, but more likely next week or even first week of February. I'm not sure I believe that (it seems like they told me that to make me go away) but take that for what it's worth.
This crushes my soul.
I heard that a 1L prof gave an impending grades pep talk this morning, which (in my 1L experience) was a pretty sure sign.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm

It sure seems as though the date of grade release is a closely guarded secret that only one or two people know, and even in the administration — like, in OCS and even in the Registrar's office — there is baseless rumor-mongering almost every year. If you go back through this thread, you'll find similar misleading statements attested in at least one or two other years.

This... seems like a weird way to run a school, especially since the Registrar used to send out an email every year announcing the date of grade release a couple of weeks in advance.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm

tomwatts wrote:It sure seems as though the date of grade release is a closely guarded secret that only one or two people know, and even in the administration — like, in OCS and even in the Registrar's office — there is baseless rumor-mongering almost every year. If you go back through this thread, you'll find similar misleading statements attested in at least one or two other years.

This... seems like a weird way to run a school, especially since the Registrar used to send out an email every year announcing the date of grade release a couple of weeks in advance.
To be fair to the administrators, Harvard Law professors are suuuper lazy when it comes to grading.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 pm

twochipmunks wrote:
This crushes my soul.
Potential grades release after add/drop deadline? Thx Harvard :x

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:29 pm

tomwatts wrote:It sure seems as though the date of grade release is a closely guarded secret that only one or two people know, and even in the administration — like, in OCS and even in the Registrar's office — there is baseless rumor-mongering almost every year. If you go back through this thread, you'll find similar misleading statements attested in at least one or two other years.

I got the impression from the registrar’s office person that there were several professors who hadn’t yet submitted, with no ETA for submission.

And yes, it’s a mess. I have no idea why this is such a struggle every year. They manage to get spring grades up in a timely manner because they’re required for graduation: I have no idea why they can’t do it for fall. It really disadvantages 2Ls on the clerkship market, I think.

raspberryo

New

Post by raspberryo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:19 pm

My bet is tomorrow, since, historically, they release them first week of the semester, but not on Fridays (right??). Talk about traditions.

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 pm

raspberryo wrote:My bet is tomorrow, since, historically, they release them first week of the semester, but not on Fridays (right??). Talk about traditions.
please please please please please please please please

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SONYAUDIO

New

Post by SONYAUDIO » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 pm

Does anyone know if professors have access to the grades/transcripts of students in their classes (or in general)? For research assistantship postings, it seems as though Climenko Fellows often ask for you to send unofficial transcripts along with resume, cover letter, etc., whereas normal profs only ask for the latter materials, leading me to wonder if normal faculty members already have access to students' grades, or if Climenko fellows simply care more about a student's grades (perhaps especially LRW? xD) than regular profs when soliciting RAs.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:40 pm

wubwubwub wrote:

I got the impression from the registrar’s office person that there were several professors who hadn’t yet submitted, with no ETA for submission.

And yes, it’s a mess. I have no idea why this is such a struggle every year. They manage to get spring grades up in a timely manner because they’re required for graduation: I have no idea why they can’t do it for fall. It really disadvantages 2Ls on the clerkship market, I think.
Don't they just release the bulk anyway instead of waiting on the stragglers?

I know I had to wait like an extra 2 weeks for my Evidence grade last year...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 am

SONYAUDIO wrote:Does anyone know if professors have access to the grades/transcripts of students in their classes (or in general)?
Pretty sure no. I remember sending transcripts when I was asking for clerkship recs.

I'd frankly be shocked if grades weren't up by close of business on Friday. The past seven years, it's been Thursday three times, so Thursday seems most likely, but Friday is also possible.
Joscellin wrote:Don't they just release the bulk anyway instead of waiting on the stragglers?

I know I had to wait like an extra 2 weeks for my Evidence grade last year...
I don't think they do this for 1L classes, at least not unless there are exceptional circumstances. I haven't heard of it, and I've been paying attention for the last 7 years.

pi.radians

New

Post by pi.radians » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 am

SONYAUDIO wrote:Does anyone know if professors have access to the grades/transcripts of students in their classes (or in general)? For research assistantship postings, it seems as though Climenko Fellows often ask for you to send unofficial transcripts along with resume, cover letter, etc., whereas normal profs only ask for the latter materials, leading me to wonder if normal faculty members already have access to students' grades, or if Climenko fellows simply care more about a student's grades (perhaps especially LRW? xD) than regular profs when soliciting RAs.
I've noticed this as well. I personally consider asking for grades for research positions is a bit distasteful. Your interest in the subject should matter a lot more than your raw exam-taking ability. It could be Climenkos care more about grades having recently been high-achieving law students themselves.

Only one professor out of three for whom I did research asked for my transcript, but this was after I had taken the position and it was just a formality. If you sign up on the clerkship page of Simplicity, you have the option of giving permission for faculty to look at the number of Hs and Ps, but not the transcripts (I could be wrong about this as well). So I'm not sure if that would let them see which classes you got Hs in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 pm

WTF DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL WITH THE SUBJECT LINE "FALL GRADES" IF IT ISN'T ACTUALLY FALL GRADES.

At least we know, I guess.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 pm

wubwubwub wrote:WTF DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL WITH THE SUBJECT LINE "FALL GRADES" IF IT ISN'T ACTUALLY FALL GRADES.

What happened?

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm

tomwatts wrote:
wubwubwub wrote:WTF DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL WITH THE SUBJECT LINE "FALL GRADES" IF IT ISN'T ACTUALLY FALL GRADES.

What happened?
Lisa Burns sent out an email with the subject line "fall grades" to tell us they're coming tomorrow.

marthagraham

New

Post by marthagraham » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I hate the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 pm

wubwubwub wrote:Lisa Burns sent out an email with the subject line "fall grades" to tell us they're coming tomorrow.
So I guess the list is now:

1/26/18 (Friday)
1/25/17 (Wednesday)
1/28/16 (Thursday)
1/27/15 (Tuesday)
1/28/14 (Tuesday)
1/28/13 (Monday)
1/26/12 (Thursday)
1/27/11 (Thursday)

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Just as a reminder as the inevitable questions come in...

Our best estimates are that magna (top 10%) is roughly a 3.95, cum laude (top 40%) is roughly a 3.6, and Sears Prize is more DS's than H's (with no P's). These all vary somewhat from year to year. Also, the magna and cum laude numbers are for the end of 3L, and it is likely that 2L/3L grades average somewhat higher than 1L grades, but not by much — maybe around 1 H per year, give or take.

If you did well in your first semester, good job, but you've got a long way to go. If you did poorly in your first semester, figure out what went wrong and fix it — you still have a long way to go.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Keep in mind also that honors are calculated by averaging the 1L GPA, 2L GPA, and 3L GPA. You take more credits in 1L, so each 1L grade matters less in your overall GPA than the classes you take later.

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/ocs/employe ... ng-policy/

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 pm

For clerkship applications, would there be a substantial difference between a semester with 4DS/1P and a semester with 3DS/2H, given that the GPA comes out the same in both situations?

4DS in a single semester seems unreal, but it seems to really beg the question what happened on that P exam. Alternatively, 3DS/2H seems more consistent. Do judges care?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”