Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mn40

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by mn40 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 pm

How inadvisable would it be to not sign up for any multi-section courses as a rising 2L and basically devote 2L/3L years to clinics, seminars, and other electives?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:32 pm

mn40 wrote:How inadvisable would it be to not sign up for any multi-section courses as a rising 2L and basically devote 2L/3L years to clinics, seminars, and other electives?
Just fine, depending on your goals. Career-wise, most won't care what you take. Notable exceptions being clerking and honors programs.

Grade-wise, that's the best path if you are gunning for cum laude but not summa, since many seminars can't give DSs but tend to hand out a higher rate of Hs than the multis.

WestCoast21

New

Post by WestCoast21 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey guys, I am a 0L applying for Financial aid for this fall, and was wondering from your guys' experience if waiving the student health insurance plan and staying on my parents plan will have a negative effect on the amount of grant aid I will receive? Or does waiving not matter because that grant aid will cover the health insurance fees regardless? Thanks for any help on this!

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:20 pm

LHS17 wrote:How commercial are Brennan and Abrams for tax? More interested in practical value of their advanced offerings (Corporate, Partnership) for someone interested in transactions, but not tax specifically. Am aware Warren is consensus favorite for basic Taxation.
I'm in Abram's Corporate Tax now and find it useful. We really dig through the code and focus on all the ways transactions can be structured (or argued post-hoc to have been structured) in order to minimize tax consequences. PM me if you'd like to chat.

lexisoverwest

New

Post by lexisoverwest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:32 am

Anyone know the chances of getting into Schulman (8am) from around 30 on the waitlist?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:28 pm

lexisoverwest wrote:Anyone know the chances of getting into Schulman (8am) from around 30 on the waitlist?
Depends on the number of other courses offered and who will be teaching them.

classis920

New

Post by classis920 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 am

Has anyone taken Kaplow for taxation? I’m looking for a prof who can teach practical skills and not do pure theory. What is Kaplow like?

Futurebiglawger

New

Post by Futurebiglawger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 am

I know that this has been addressed before, but does anyone have any actual anecdotes/results (not general speculation) to share regarding EIP and straight passes, esp for LGBT candidates? Also interested in experiences of LGBT/diverse candidates with a couple of Hs and more

redline

New

Post by redline » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Futurebiglawger wrote:I know that this has been addressed before, but does anyone have any actual anecdotes/results (not general speculation) to share regarding EIP and straight passes, esp for LGBT candidates? Also interested in experiences of LGBT/diverse candidates with a couple of Hs and more
Similar situation here. LGBT, non-diverse, didn't straight pass but definitely below median. LGBT was subtly on resume (Lambda), but never came up in any screener. I doubt it will make any difference--firms don't seem to care, in my experience. EIP was rough but I got close to what I wanted. You won't strike out unless you go all in on DC. If URM you'll be totally fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pi.radians

New

Post by pi.radians » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Has anyone else not yet received a grade for their winter class?

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Admitted 1l here- can you have microfridges in gropius hall like inside of your single?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:Admitted 1l here- can you have microfridges in gropius hall like inside of your single?
From the Housing Handbook: you can have mini-fridges that are "4 cubic feet or smaller [and] do[] not use sulfur dioxide or other toxic gases as a cooling agent."

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:45 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:Admitted 1l here- can you have microfridges in gropius hall like inside of your single?
From the Housing Handbook: you can have mini-fridges that are "4 cubic feet or smaller [and] do[] not use sulfur dioxide or other toxic gases as a cooling agent."
Ah thank you! Sounds very specific but that works for me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Peregrine32

New

Post by Peregrine32 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Does anyone know Vermeule’s policy on LPs? I felt awful about Leg Reg ... I’d also be happy to hear from anyone who has had him/knows about Admin Law, as I guess his policy would probably be similar.

keceke

New

Post by keceke » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Also curious about Vermeule (along with the rest of section 5 - that exam ... yeesh). But to piggyback, anyone know of Scott Brewer's LP policy? I know that he has a terrible reputation overall, but does that reputation include giving out LPs?

Cambridge1988

New

Post by Cambridge1988 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 am

does anyone know how seating works for class day...like do we sit with sections, our families, etc?

HeedMyWarning

New

Post by HeedMyWarning » Mon May 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Cum laude with a 3.92.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Futurebiglawger

New

Post by Futurebiglawger » Sat May 26, 2018 11:11 am

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate to HLAB is/ roughly how many people get it/apply?

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 am

Futurebiglawger wrote:Does anyone know what the acceptance rate to HLAB is/ roughly how many people get it/apply?
It's competitive. There are 25 slots per year and I think around 150-200 apply.

NeverEverGiveUp

New

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun May 27, 2018 4:56 pm

I am flying in to attend a seminar at the law school next week Wed-Mon. I have spent a considerable amount of time searching for hotels and short term rentals nearby. Are there any more resources you could share with me? I am also open to renting from a student if that is an option.
Thanks!

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 am

How likely is Harvard to take a lower T2 transfer with a 4.1 gpa?

I'd love to PM some transfer students to get their perspective on the process.

Thank you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Thu May 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Lolstudent wrote:How likely is Harvard to take a lower T2 transfer with a 4.1 gpa?

Thank you
I don’t believe this site has PM functionality any longer but I’d say you have a solid shot. Would help a bit to know your class rank though.

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Thu May 31, 2018 4:39 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
Lolstudent wrote:How likely is Harvard to take a lower T2 transfer with a 4.1 gpa?

Thank you
I don’t believe this site has PM functionality any longer but I’d say you have a solid shot. Would help a bit to know your class rank though.
Good to hear! Pretty certain that I'm one of the top 3 students, but I won't know for a few weeks.

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Thu May 31, 2018 4:40 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:

Thank you
Did any of your classmates come from similarly ranked schools?

neptunian

New

Post by neptunian » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Friends, now that spring grades are out, I guess it’s time to seriously think about EIP. Any bidding advice for a non URM 2H8P candidate interested in only corporate work?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”