Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomwatts

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by tomwatts » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Just to be clear, I don't think most journals actually give you the opportunity to write a note and publish it if you're just an editor of the journal. HLR does and certain positions in other journals do — HLPR's Online Department did while I was running it — but I think most others don't.

It looks like the FAQ says you can use a paper your wrote as a 1L. It's possible that the Negotiation Workshop paper is so not legal writing that it doesn't count (even as "nontraditional writing"), but I don't know.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 pm

I think the Negotiation Workshop paper should be okay, since it's still technically written for a law school course. I used a paper that I'd written for a philosophy seminar for one of mine.

a corsair

New

Post by a corsair » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 pm

I've asked the registrar specifically about negotiations workshop, and they said that the concatenated final journal even fulfills half the requirement. That's not even close to legal writing, so I don't think they are picky about the subject matter.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I used negotiation workshop for mine, under Option 2.

You don't have to register for Option 2. I realize that the website uses that word, but for Option 2 "register" really just means "report." I used Option 2 and turned in my "registration" during 3L spring for work that I had done as a 1L and 2L. There were no problems.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Does anyone know if they are going to send out a form to request your exam answers this time?

I know in the past you just emailed the registrar, but I feel like I remember them transitioning over to a web form, but I can't find it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:20 pm

How long do we have access to our .jd17.law.harvard.edu accounts?

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know if they are going to send out a form to request your exam answers this time?

I know in the past you just emailed the registrar, but I feel like I remember them transitioning over to a web form, but I can't find it.
The link to the web form was included in the e-mail to 1Ls from the registrar announcing the posting of spring grades in Helios. If you didn't get this e-mail I'm happy to share via PM.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:42 pm

nothingtosee wrote:How long do we have access to our .jd17.law.harvard.edu accounts?
http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/its/informa ... -students/
ITS is pleased to offer all alumni continued use of HLS Google Apps. After you graduate, your Harvard Law School email address will be yours for life. Give this email address to your friends, colleagues, and classmates and they will always be able to keep in touch.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 am

Last edited by addie1412 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

agnes_bean

New

Post by agnes_bean » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 am

So my question is: how crucial is it to have a legal job your 1L summer coming from HLS?
Assuming that you want to do legal work after law school, pretty freaking crucial. Almost everyone does legal work their 1L summer. The only exceptions I can think of from my 1L year was someone who wanted to go straight into politics working on a campaign, and someone who wanted to do consulting working at a consulting firm. So if your non-legal job is related to some non-legal career goal that you just happen to be getting a JD for, maybe this would be OK. But if it's an unrelated job that you would only be doing for the money (which it sounds like it is), that is, as far as I can tell, I bad idea in terms of getting jobs moving forward. Yes, you go to HLS, but so do over five hundred people in your class alone, and almost every singe one will have a law-related internship their 1L summer. I'm not saying it would categorically exclude you from landing something during OCI, but it seems like a shortsighted gamble. It would certainly be something you'd need to explain at all interviews going forward.

The good news is that going to HLS does mean you have a better shot at 1L SA than you do from most other schools. It's not a guarantee, but almost everyone I knew 1L who wanted one got one. If you want to make money 1L summer, your best bet is just to focus on getting your first semester grades as high as possible, plus take advantage of every networking opportunity and try to land a 1L SA gig. (Though also keep in mind money you make over the summer will possibly impact your financial aid package. I'm PI across the board so I don't really know much about how that works, but it has been discussed in this thread.)

ETA: Of course, I am just another law student. This is something you should talk to OCS about once you get to campus. But from everything I know, this is not an advised path.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

agnes_bean wrote:
So my question is: how crucial is it to have a legal job your 1L summer coming from HLS?
Assuming that you want to do legal work after law school, pretty freaking crucial. Almost everyone does legal work their 1L summer. The only exceptions I can think of from my 1L year was someone who wanted to go straight into politics working on a campaign, and someone who wanted to do consulting working at a consulting firm. So if your non-legal job is related to some non-legal career goal that you just happen to be getting a JD for, maybe this would be OK. But if it's an unrelated job that you would only be doing for the money (which it sounds like it is), that is, as far as I can tell, I bad idea in terms of getting jobs moving forward. Yes, you go to HLS, but so do over five hundred people in your class alone, and almost every singe one will have a law-related internship their 1L summer. I'm not saying it would categorically exclude you from landing something during OCI, but it seems like a shortsighted gamble. It would certainly be something you'd need to explain at all interviews going forward.

The good news is that going to HLS does mean you have a better shot at 1L SA than you do from most other schools. It's not a guarantee, but almost everyone I knew 1L who wanted one got one. If you want to make money 1L summer, your best bet is just to focus on getting your first semester grades as high as possible, plus take advantage of every networking opportunity and try to land a 1L SA gig. (Though also keep in mind money you make over the summer will possibly impact your financial aid package. I'm PI across the board so I don't really know much about how that works, but it has been discussed in this thread.)

ETA: Of course, I am just another law student. This is something you should talk to OCS about once you get to campus. But from everything I know, this is not an advised path.
Duly noted. Thank you!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:08 pm

I asked OCS/OPIA (I forget which) at one point during 1L when the 1L summer job search was going really badly and their answer was basically, "You have to get a law-related job for your 1L summer if you want to work in law ever."

jlet0314

New

Post by jlet0314 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 pm

1L trying to coordinate 2017 winter break travel. 1L fall term exam period is from 12/8 through 12/15. Does that mean 1L winter break starts after the 15th, or do we need to be on campus the following Monday/Tuesday (18/19)?

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/academics/a ... -calendar/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:14 pm

jlet0314 wrote:1L trying to coordinate 2017 winter break travel. 1L fall term exam period is from 12/8 through 12/15. Does that mean 1L winter break starts after the 15th, or do we need to be on campus the following Monday/Tuesday (18/19)?

If your exams are take home then you don't even have to be on campus during the exam period. I know people who left to take their tests on the beach.

I flew out of Boston about 3 hours after I finished my last exam. There's no reason to hang around.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:14 am

Dcc617 wrote:
jlet0314 wrote:1L trying to coordinate 2017 winter break travel. 1L fall term exam period is from 12/8 through 12/15. Does that mean 1L winter break starts after the 15th, or do we need to be on campus the following Monday/Tuesday (18/19)?

If your exams are take home then you don't even have to be on campus during the exam period. I know people who left to take their tests on the beach.

I flew out of Boston about 3 hours after I finished my last exam. There's no reason to hang around.
Yeah one weird thing (to me) is that at least HKS and public health people BAIL before, during and immediately after exams. I built in a few days to chill in Boston thinking there would be people around, and it was like a freaking ghost town. People book it to the beach, home, etc way faster than at my undergrad at least

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 am

eck456 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

Yeah one weird thing (to me) is that at least HKS and public health people BAIL before, during and immediately after exams. I built in a few days to chill in Boston thinking there would be people around, and it was like a freaking ghost town. People book it to the beach, home, etc way faster than at my undergrad at least
Yeah, everyone's gone the day exams end. The Saturday after exam week, 3rd floor Kong is definitely not lit.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
eck456 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:

Yeah, everyone's gone the day exams end. The Saturday after exam week, 3rd floor Kong is definitely not lit.
Lol and there's really nowhere sadder in the world than being alone on the third floor of the Kong on a Saturday night. That's like a portrait of loneliness for a modern age

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 pm

As an aside, just as a matter of personal preference, I found it sort of exhausting to get on a cross-country flight immediately after finishing my last exam, so I usually gave myself 2-3 days to recover before leaving Cambridge after the fall semester. It's really peaceful; there are a few people (not many) still in town the day after exams end, but the entire town empties out after that. There are 15 hours of night, so you can get lots of sleep. It's cold-ish, but it's usually not like February cold, so you can still go outside during the day. It was a nice way to spend a little time to flush out everything from exams and recover before going home.
eck456 wrote:Lol and there's really nowhere sadder in the world than being alone on the third floor of the Kong on a Saturday night. That's like a portrait of loneliness for a modern age
To be fair, being on the third floor of the Kong on a Saturday night when it's full is also kind of a portrait of loneliness for the modern age.

Or maybe I'm confusing loneliness and stickiness.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 pm

tomwatts wrote: To be fair, being on the third floor of the Kong on a Saturday night when it's full is also kind of a portrait of loneliness for the modern age.

Or maybe I'm confusing loneliness and stickiness.
:lol: :lol:

pikachoo

New

Post by pikachoo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:41 am

Last edited by pikachoo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:47 am

pikachoo wrote:Thanks for answering our questions guys!

I was admitted off the WL and I'm about to request a 2-3 year deferment to work for the U.S government.
Do you think the school will allow that?

How flexible is HLS with granting deferments to students admitted off the WL?

Thanks in advance!
Idk how it works for people off the WL but I know people who have been granted deferments of 2 years forsure. 3 may be pushing it. You may also have to apply for deferment on a yearly basis. It's definitely worth a shot, though. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:46 am

I think it's basically automatically allowed. At the time that I was responding to an offer of admission (6 years ago), you literally just checked a box to get a 2-year deferment. There was some sort of approval process, and it looks like there still is, but I think as long as you had a plausible reason (and working for the U.S. government is a plausible reason), then I think they basically always said yes.

I think if you get a 2-year deferment and end up having to defer for 1 more year, you can just ask them and they are likely to say yes, but it would be worth asking someone official at the school about that.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I got in off WL last year and they made it clear that people getting in off WL could not get a deferment bc they pull off WL specifically to round out that year's class

I didn't ask for a deferment but they made it clear in the email I got after admission

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:00 pm

theconsigliere wrote:I got in off WL last year and they made it clear that people getting in off WL could not get a deferment bc they pull off WL specifically to round out that year's class

I didn't ask for a deferment but they made it clear in the email I got after admission
If true, that's a pretty glaring omission from their deferment policy posted online (EDIT: the one I linked in my last post). Huh. It would interesting to hear back from pikachoo about the outcome, then.
Last edited by tomwatts on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:49 pm

tomwatts wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:I got in off WL last year and they made it clear that people getting in off WL could not get a deferment bc they pull off WL specifically to round out that year's class

If true, that's a pretty glaring omission from their deferment policy posted online. Huh. It would interesting to hear back from pikachoo about the outcome, then.

"IF I AM ADMITTED, CAN I DEFER ENROLLMENT?
No. Offers of admission from the waitlist are to fill spaces in this year’s entering class only. Applicants who know that they will not accept an offer of admission to enroll this fall should withdraw from the waitlist if offered a spot."

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”