Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
leslieknope

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by leslieknope » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:03 pm

August Wilson wrote:yeah I dunno. That lisa burns email from a couple of days ago said that the deadline was June 1, so maybe they'll all be in later today?
One of my outstanding grades just went up but the other two or still missing. How is this possible grades were due yesterday. :|

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:18 pm

leslieknope wrote:
August Wilson wrote:yeah I dunno. That lisa burns email from a couple of days ago said that the deadline was June 1, so maybe they'll all be in later today?
One of my outstanding grades just went up but the other two or still missing. How is this possible grades were due yesterday. :|
Professors miss the deadline. Unfortunately, it happens all the time.

marthagraham

New

Post by marthagraham » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm

polareagle wrote:
leslieknope wrote:
Professors miss the deadline. Unfortunately, it happens all the time.
rude

in the process

New

Post by in the process » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Grade just came in as EXT.......what does that mean? Professor requested an extension?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:03 pm

in the process wrote:Grade just came in as EXT.......what does that mean? Professor requested an extension?
:lol: that sucks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenHippo

New

Post by GreenHippo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi everyone, incoming 1L here! Does anyone know what typical due dates for the open/closed memos for LRW are? I read that those are the busiest times in 1L year (except before exams) and am trying to plan an SO visit around them. Do they tend to all be at the same time, regardless of section?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:25 pm

GreenHippo wrote:Hi everyone, incoming 1L here! Does anyone know what typical due dates for the open/closed memos for LRW are? I read that those are the busiest times in 1L year (except before exams) and am trying to plan an SO visit around them. Do they tend to all be at the same time, regardless of section?
So I had my then girlfriend visit me the weekends that the closed brief drafts and final copies were due. I just made sure to finish it before. The drafts were due the Monday of fall break, I think, so a lot of people did it early.

I chilled through my LRW because I was proactive and didn't wait until the last minute like a lot of people did. It's not actually that much work.

GreenHippo

New

Post by GreenHippo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
GreenHippo wrote:Hi everyone, incoming 1L here! Does anyone know what typical due dates for the open/closed memos for LRW are? I read that those are the busiest times in 1L year (except before exams) and am trying to plan an SO visit around them. Do they tend to all be at the same time, regardless of section?
So I had my then girlfriend visit me the weekends that the closed brief drafts and final copies were due. I just made sure to finish it before. The drafts were due the Monday of fall break, I think, so a lot of people did it early.

I chilled through my LRW because I was proactive and didn't wait until the last minute like a lot of people did. It's not actually that much work.
Thanks for the info! Is it possible to know now (maybe based on past years) what those dates might be this fall? (To sort out the plane tickets while they are still cheap :lol: ) Are they the same every year?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 am

Hi,
Super recent admit and I was wondering whether anyone would mind telling me if there is any HLS or HUH housing left? This will really help me out in determining whether I need to start scoping out apartments on the private market immediately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:15 pm

GreenHippo wrote:Thanks for the info! Is it possible to know now (maybe based on past years) what those dates might be this fall? (To sort out the plane tickets while they are still cheap :lol: ) Are they the same every year?
Because no one else has answered, I'll say that in 2011-12, there were LRW deadlines on:

9/26/11 (closed memo rough draft)
10/12/11 (closed memo final draft)
10/23/11 (open memo outline)
11/6/11 (open memo rough draft)
11/22/11 (open memo final draft)

I think they are the same for all sections in any given year, and I think they tend to be more or less similar dates each year, e.g., the closed memo final draft is generally due around Columbus Day and the open memo final draft is generally due shortly before Thanksgiving, but I couldn't swear that that's still true.
curry1 wrote:Hi,
Super recent admit and I was wondering whether anyone would mind telling me if there is any HLS or HUH housing left? This will really help me out in determining whether I need to start scoping out apartments on the private market immediately.
If you're not terribly picky, you can almost certainly get something in Gropius (the cheap, low-end dorms).

Oh, and congrats on (I presume) getting in off the waitlist! You must be pretty excited.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 pm

tomwatts wrote:
GreenHippo wrote:Thanks for the info! Is it possible to know now (maybe based on past years) what those dates might be this fall? (To sort out the plane tickets while they are still cheap :lol: ) Are they the same every year?
Because no one else has answered, I'll say that in 2011-12, there were LRW deadlines on:

I think they are the same for all sections in any given year, and I think they tend to be more or less similar dates each year, e.g., the closed memo final draft is generally due around Columbus Day and the open memo final draft is generally due shortly before Thanksgiving, but I couldn't swear that that's still true.
curry1 wrote:Hi,
If you're not terribly picky, you can almost certainly get something in Gropius (the cheap, low-end dorms).

Oh, and congrats on (I presume) getting in off the waitlist! You must be pretty excited.
Yes, I'm very excited! Thanks for your help - I think I'll head to the private market if only Gropius is available.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:27 pm

curry1 wrote:I think I'll head to the private market if only Gropius is available.
Just to be clear — I have no idea if anything else is available or not. I just know that there are usually some rooms in Gropius at any given moment throughout the summer and even throughout the academic year. It's possible that North/Hastings/non-dorm options also are available at this point.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:05 am

curry1 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

In 2015-16, the deadlines were:
9/22/15 (closed memo rough draft)
10/11/15 (closed memo final draft)
11/8/15 (open memo rough draft)
11/24/15 (open memo final draft)

So looks like they keep them pretty similar? Unless the rising 2Ls have something different to report.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rust

New

Post by Rust » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:51 am

<deleted>
Last edited by Rust on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 am

leslieknope wrote:
curry1 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

In 2015-16, the deadlines were:
9/22/15 (closed memo rough draft)
10/11/15 (closed memo final draft)
11/8/15 (open memo rough draft)
11/24/15 (open memo final draft)

So looks like they keep them pretty similar? Unless the rising 2Ls have something different to report.
In 2014-15, the final memos were due on the following days:

10/12/14 (closed memo final draft)
11/25/14 (open memo final draft)

I didn't include the outline or rough draft deadlines because Climenkos can (and do) change those section by section depending on whether they want students to have more time before the outline is due, between the outline being done and the rough draft, or between getting the rough draft back and the final submission.

jlet0314

New

Post by jlet0314 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Does anyone know what happened to HLS Dope?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm

So based on 2011-12, 14-15, and 15-16, it looks like the big LRW deadlines in the fall are usually right around Columbus Day — probably the day before Columbus Day, i.e., Sunday of Columbus Day weekend — and right before Thanksgiving. There will be other deadlines but they are not as significant and may move slightly.
jlet0314 wrote:Does anyone know what happened to HLS Dope?
The admin graduated, so apparently the site got superseded by Too Dope.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

jlet0314 wrote:Does anyone know what happened to HLS Dope?
Guy running it graduated, school didn't buy it. Now there's toodope which has outlines, past test answers, and professor evals

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm

How long does it typically take hls to send out LDAP/email info to newly admitted students?

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Can anyone comment on how the Option 2 writing requirement has played out in practice?

Have reviewed the online requirements, but am left with a few questions:

(1) Is there a worthwhile way to knock out half of the requirement with the spring 1L elective (such as the Negotiation Workshop)? It seems only a fraction of the courses in the online catalog explicitly state they would satisfy half of Option 2, even if they appear to require weekly response papers and/or a term paper / brief.

(2) Is the law journal option (10 publishable pages) something that would be satisfied by participating in any journal or would this entail substantially more time?

(3) Would anyone recommend writing a paper as part of a clinic from an efficiency standpoint?

I realize I'm asking early, but would appreciate any thoughts.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:38 pm

LHS17 wrote:Can anyone comment on how the Option 2 writing requirement has played out in practice?

(1) Is there a worthwhile way to knock out half of the requirement with the spring 1L elective (such as the Negotiation Workshop)? It seems only a fraction of the courses in the online catalog explicitly state they would satisfy half of Option 2, even if they appear to require weekly response papers and/or a term paper / brief.

(2) Is the law journal option (10 publishable pages) something that would be satisfied by participating in any journal or would this entail substantially more time?

(3) Would anyone recommend writing a paper as part of a clinic from an efficiency standpoint?

Followup to this. What if you've written a 15+ page paper for a seminar that would seemingly qualify for option 2, but you totally forgot about the whole writing requirement thing and didn't register it until after the semester ended? Can you retroactively register it? Second followup: would a 20+ page faculty-supervised journal note qualify as two pieces of writing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:06 pm

LHS17 wrote:Can anyone comment on how the Option 2 writing requirement has played out in practice?

(1) No, the proposal has to be submitted 2L or 3L.

(2) Any journal and yes, probably this one would take more time unless you were already planning on trying to publish a note.

(3) Efficiency is doing it in a seminar where the paper also counts as your grade for the class. But there's nothing wrong with doing it in a clinic.

Leslie- I would try emailing the registrar and asking if it is possible. I don't remember them being sticklers on form submission time as long as you are the one being proactive about it.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:10 pm

(1) Even if the course description doesn't explicitly say it can be used to satisfy the writing requirement, as long as the course entails a paper or series of papers that fits the bill the registrar will accept. I wouldn't go out of your way to find a course to fulfill the writing requirement during 1L year - there will be plenty of opportunities later, and it's actually quite easy to do. I ended up having met the writing requirement just by taking the courses that I would have taken anyway during 2L year.

(2) Probably. Publishing anything for a remotely legit journal involves a lot of back and forth & editing so it can be very time-consuming. If you were going to do it anyway, then by all means do so, but in my opinion it is inefficient solely as a means to satisfy the writing requirement.

(3) Same as (2). Take the clinic if it's something you would have done anyway.
leslieknope wrote: Followup to this. What if you've written a 15+ page paper for a seminar that would seemingly qualify for option 2, but you totally forgot about the whole writing requirement thing and didn't register it until after the semester ended? Can you retroactively register it?
Yes, the registrar will retroactively accept a paper for a course you took in the past. They just check that you took the course, and that the course description indeed requires the said paper. I actually had it done this way.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:19 pm

TripTrip wrote:

(1) No, the proposal has to be submitted 2L or 3L.

(2) Any journal and yes, probably this one would take more time unless you were already planning on trying to publish a note.

(3) Efficiency is doing it in a seminar where the paper also counts as your grade for the class. But there's nothing wrong with doing it in a clinic.

Leslie- I would try emailing the registrar and asking if it is possible. I don't remember them being sticklers on form submission time as long as you are the one being proactive about it.
Thanks! Quick clarification on (1): have you heard of the Negotiation Workshop fulfilling half of the requirement? The course description leads me to believe yes, but it would seem odd to me that the timing of when you take it dictates whether you can claim credit.

I am aware that the 1L Ames brief doesn't count, which makes more sense.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:33 pm

heythatslife wrote:

(1) Even if the course description doesn't explicitly say it can be used to satisfy the writing requirement, as long as the course entails a paper or series of papers that fits the bill the registrar will accept. I wouldn't go out of your way to find a course to fulfill the writing requirement during 1L year - there will be plenty of opportunities later, and it's actually quite easy to do. I ended up having met the writing requirement just by taking the courses that I would have taken anyway during 2L year.

(2) Probably. Publishing anything for a remotely legit journal involves a lot of back and forth & editing so it can be very time-consuming. If you were going to do it anyway, then by all means do so, but in my opinion it is inefficient solely as a means to satisfy the writing requirement.

(3) Same as (2). Take the clinic if it's something you would have done anyway.
leslieknope wrote: Followup to this. What if you've written a 15+ page paper for a seminar that would seemingly qualify for option 2, but you totally forgot about the whole writing requirement thing and didn't register it until after the semester ended? Can you retroactively register it?
Yes, the registrar will retroactively accept a paper for a course you took in the past. They just check that you took the course, and that the course description indeed requires the said paper. I actually had it done this way.
Thanks. Sounds like there will be plenty of time to react if it's not fulfilled in the normal course of 2L.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”