Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
QuentonCassidy

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by QuentonCassidy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Any thoughts on when grades are coming out? I know in the past they sent an email with the date in mid-Jan but I haven't gotten that this year. What gives?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Unless something unusual is going on, it should be sometime this week (first week of Spring Term). The day has fluctuated a bit; it was Tuesday in 2014 and 2015 and Thursday (1/28/16) last year.

I don't think they sent an email in mid-January last year either. They may have stopped doing that.

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Was told by a faculty member that it would be this week sometime.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:06 pm

What's up with the class day ceremony? Are families invited to that?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:09 am

When did the Hark's english-muffin-egg-and-cheese breakfast sandwiches switch to bagels?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 am

nothingtosee wrote:What's up with the class day ceremony? Are families invited to that?
To Class Day, yes. The day after that is Commencement Day, to which we only receive two tickets. But Claas Day isn't ticketed.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 am

Pneumonia wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:What's up with the class day ceremony? Are families invited to that?
To Class Day, yes. The day after that is Commencement Day, to which we only receive two tickets. But Claas Day isn't ticketed.
What is Class Day? Do families usually go? Is it worth them going?

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 am

Pneumonia wrote:When did the Hark's english-muffin-egg-and-cheese breakfast sandwiches switch to bagels?
Those bagel things are awesome

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:27 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
It's sort of the beginning of graduation. There are a bunch of speakers, some awards are handed out, etc. I vaguely remember it being skippable if you felt like it, but lots of families do come.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:54 pm

tomwatts wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
It's sort of the beginning of graduation. There are a bunch of speakers, some awards are handed out, etc. I vaguely remember it being skippable if you felt like it, but lots of families do come.
Thanks for this, I've wondered the same thing for awhile now.

Cambridge1988

New

Post by Cambridge1988 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Anyone have any insight on whether employers (judges and firms) care at all about what courses you take beyond the foundational ones (corporations, con law, admin, etc). Also do most students average 12 credits per a semester, or do many take above the required minimum?

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Anyone have an updated guess on cum laude/magna cutoffs?

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Anyone have any information either from recent winners or educated guesses about how much money Sears prize winners receive? The best info I could find was that it was $10k in '02 (source: http://hlrecord.org/2002/12/hls-announc ... e-winners/) and $11k in '03 (source: http://hlrecord.org/2003/09/sears-prize ... announced/), but I have no idea about any recent info. I imagine it must have gone up somewhat, but anyone have an idea as to how much?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sanibella

Bronze

Post by sanibella » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Not sure... You might want to ask topszn as I heard he was contacted about it after grades came out today.

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:17 pm

I hate to be that guy, but can anyone give me a sense of where I stand after my first semester? I got 1 DS/3 H (including LRW)/1 P. I think this is pretty good, but I've read things on here about people getting 3-4 DSs in their first semester. My sense is I'm somewhere between top 10% and 20%, but I can't tell. Sorry about this-I know it's obnoxious to ask about grades, but I don't really want to bring it up with friends/faculty mentors.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:24 pm

wubwubwub wrote:I hate to be that guy, but can anyone give me a sense of where I stand after my first semester? I got 1 DS/3 H (including LRW)/1 P. I think this is pretty good, but I've read things on here about people getting 3-4 DSs in their first semester. My sense is I'm somewhere between top 10% and 20%, but I can't tell. Sorry about this-I know it's obnoxious to ask about grades, but I don't really want to bring it up with friends/faculty mentors.
Comfortably top 10%, I'd say.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Cambridge1988 wrote:Anyone have any insight on whether employers (judges and firms) care at all about what courses you take beyond the foundational ones (corporations, con law, admin, etc). Also do most students average 12 credits per a semester, or do many take above the required minimum?
Judges care. If you take a bunch of "Shakespeare and the Law" or whatever, you might be weeded out from many clerkships. Biglaw ordinarily doesn't care at all, because they hire you before you start 2L. PI may care to some extent, depending on whether you're going into something that requires subject matter expertise.

As far as the total number of credits, take enough credits to graduate. Other than that, the total credit load doesn't really matter.
nothingtosee wrote:Anyone have an updated guess on cum laude/magna cutoffs?
I don't think it varies much (a little, but not much) from year to year, so our discussion earlier in this thread is still good.
Pneumonia wrote:
wubwubwub wrote:I hate to be that guy, but can anyone give me a sense of where I stand after my first semester? I got 1 DS/3 H (including LRW)/1 P. I think this is pretty good, but I've read things on here about people getting 3-4 DSs in their first semester. My sense is I'm somewhere between top 10% and 20%, but I can't tell. Sorry about this-I know it's obnoxious to ask about grades, but I don't really want to bring it up with friends/faculty mentors.
Comfortably top 10%, I'd say.
That's an H average, and an H average is generally a little above the magna (top 10%) cutoff if you maintain it through the end of 3L. A little ways back in this thread, I estimated that 2L/3L grades are slightly higher than 1L grades, on average, so I'd suspect that you're a bit above any top 10% cutoff.

Also, it's probably fine to bring this up with faculty mentors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:22 pm

tomwatts wrote:
I don't think it varies much (a little, but not much) from year to year, so our discussion earlier in this thread is still good.
Do you remember what pages that was on? I used to have a link TripTrip posted that let us search this thread but I cannot find it :oops:

cantorb

Bronze

Post by cantorb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:25 am

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:11 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
Do you remember what pages that was on? I used to have a link TripTrip posted that let us search this thread but I cannot find it :oops:
It was here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2#p8609342

You can search the thread by using the site feature (site:top-law-schools.com) and putting "t=141188" (the topic number) to specify this topic, e.g.,

Code: Select all

site:top-law-schools.com "t=141188" "my curiosity is satisfied"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eleemosynary2

New

Post by eleemosynary2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:59 pm

To reiterate, because I think it was a new data point and slightly lower than previously thought, 3.93 got magna last year

georgej

Gold

Post by georgej » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 pm

eleemosynary2 wrote:To reiterate, because I think it was a new data point and slightly lower than previously thought, 3.93 got magna last year
Relatedly, i believe someone posted that they did not get cum laude with a 3.61 last year.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am

Okay, yeah, apparently this happened. So apparently last year the cum laude cutoff was almost exactly 3.62, and the magna cutoff was somewhat under 3.95.

In light of that, I'm sticking with my previous estimate that the cum laude cutoff is generally around 3.6, but I revise my previous estimate to say that the magna cutoff is probably generally slightly over 3.9.

yschaf

New

Post by yschaf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am

Hi guys - anyone had Ramseyer in general, or in particular for Japanese Law? He's visiting at UChicago and would like to get more info on teaching style etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”