UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
poptart123

Silver

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by poptart123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 am

stativus wrote:
landshoes wrote:Levmore changes it up all the time, don't bother with supplements for his class.

There is that one book that sometimes gets assigned for Elements, it is a paperback with a guy's leg and briefcase on it. Goes over lots of basic law & econ stuff. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
The Legal Analyst?
Yeah, that's it. Looking at my copy right now... It's actually fairly interesting I think. Written by a former graduate of the law school. Same Farnsworth who is dean of UT and co-wrote my torts book.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am

YES. Thank you. That was driving me crazy.

The Legal Analyst was helpful for me with a lot of Levmore's stuff. Don't like stress yourself out with it but have it handy and skim it for anything that seems relevant. Levmore tends to tell you some random crazy versions of law and econ concepts that aren't actually that complicated. The Legal Analyst stuff, specifically the section on incentives, is like the actually-readable version.

I also loved Posner's contracts supplement.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Does anyone have outlines from Crim Law with Lakier, or know anyone who had Lakier for Crim Law II? I guess she's new to teaching it, because there's only the one exam of hers from last year.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:30 am

She's done it for two years, they don't put the evals for the first year a prof teaches up online.

You might look for any crim outline for her, as last year she taught Crim I and Crim II (so they might have put both of the outlines together)

I had her but not sure I have an outline. I'll scrounge around.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 am

OK I do not have an outline sorry

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm

I had her for Crim I and Crim II but my outline was kind of meh. Feel free to PM me your email if you want it but it may or may not be particularly helpful.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:32 pm

landshoes wrote:OK I do not have an outline sorry
No worries; thanks!

rolypoly

New

Post by rolypoly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm

This is a question for the upperclassmen (or fellow 1Ls who have already hashed this out)--what was your timeline like for 1L summer? The place I'll be working at just emailed me asking for my preferred start/end dates and saying they wanted me to put in 10-12 weeks. The problem is, OCI starts Aug 6 this year, and at the very earliest I'll be starting on Monday, June 4 (bc finals end on Friday, June 1). But this only gives me 9 weeks between the start of summer and OCI. Did ya'll just continue working while doing oci? Or did everyone quit before oci started?

I just don't know what the etiquette here is. I'm assuming my employers know I want to participate in oci. But do they expect me to put in the same 12 weeks as everyone else, just maybe taking a few days off toward the end for oci? Or will they just grudgingly accept that it's 10-12 weeks for semester students and that I, the only quarter system student they decided to employ, will just show up weeks late without starbucks and then skip out at the same time as everyone else?

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm

I'd confirm this by checking w/ more UChicago students (a lot of them like to "provide positive externalities" across the web, search for them!)- but I think they should be fine with you doing 9 weeks- if they raise a fuss you won't start school until the 3rd-4th week of September, so you can always offer to work those weeks in September after spending August doing OCI. That might end up conflicting w/ a callback- but by then getting the offer at OCI should be a lot more important, and you can usually jam a callback into a single day anywhere in the continental US if you need to.

DO NOT skip OCI b/c you think your summer job requires you to. If you might want to work in BigLaw for 2L, OCI is a must.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sacred Cow

New

Post by Sacred Cow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Definitely don't work during OCI. I would be surprised if they cared strongly whether you stayed ten weeks or nine. The only possible exception is if you're working for a firm that you want to receive an offer from. Even then, they should understand that OCI is important, and if they're going to be so unreasonable as to not give you that time off, you should look for another firm.

I agree with Necho that offering to work in September is a good compromise if you want to cover your bases.

tralala

New

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Post by tralala » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 pm

-

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am

Has anyone successfully taken on an internship during the academic year, ideally for credit? I know UChicago isn't big on that, per the handbook, but I think it'd be good for my sanity to try to arrange something outside the walls of the Law School...

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:49 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Has anyone successfully taken on an internship during the academic year, ideally for credit? I know UChicago isn't big on that, per the handbook, but I think it'd be good for my sanity to try to arrange something outside the walls of the Law School...
I knew two people who maintained either an internship or a job unrelated to law school during 1L. They both later said it was a mistake to do so.

I knew a ton of people who had internships, part time jobs, and other similar stuff during 2L and 3L, but I don't know whether any of them were for credit (I doubt it). I also had a part-time job or two outside of the law school during those years. It was helpful for the reason you noted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah isn't it impossible to get credit except for the clinics and special agreements? Workload isn't really the issue in 2L/3L (I mean if you do that plus plenty of class plus journal it might be), but doing it unpaid/no credit would suck...

stativus

New

Post by stativus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 am

Quick question for those who lived in regents for multiple years. I heard that there's a rent rate increase even if you stay in the same room, but the few people I've spoken to all cited differing increases. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth moving to a different room in regents, so if anyone could just tell me the type of room (2bed 2bath, studio, etc.) and the increase, I'd appreciate it! Or if there's advice on a way to avoid the increase, that would also be great.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:28 am

UChi 2L here, a bit bored on my winter break tonight so offering to answer any questions.

kuto

New

Post by kuto » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:UChi 2L here, a bit bored on my winter break tonight so offering to answer any questions.
WashU 1L here, got Helmholz as visiting professor this year for property, any advice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm

kuto wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:UChi 2L here, a bit bored on my winter break tonight so offering to answer any questions.
WashU 1L here, got Helmholz as visiting professor this year for property, any advice?
He's known as The Hammer, people are legitimately scared of him. I never had him but he's got a reputation as rough on the students he cold-calls. Also he likes to ask about random minor facts on exams, so be diligent in your note-taking. Sorry to sound alarmist about him, and again I never took him myself so this is all just reputation, but yeah I'd watch out.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Seconding all of that, but also second-hand. He's also apparently notorious for using every inch of the grading scale, so I'd put in a lot of efforts so you don't risk getting your GPA tanked.

kuto

New

Post by kuto » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:52 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:
kuto wrote:
He's known as The Hammer, people are legitimately scared of him. I never had him but he's got a reputation as rough on the students he cold-calls. Also he likes to ask about random minor facts on exams, so be diligent in your note-taking. Sorry to sound alarmist about him, and again I never took him myself so this is all just reputation, but yeah I'd watch out.
damn...he gives a closed-book exam, guess I'll have to make flashcards this semester

btw, is it possible to gain access to the UChi library to get his old exams? Since we waited two weeks for the syllabus, I don't expect him to be generous on giving any kinds of exam related materials...

kuto

New

Post by kuto » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Necho2 wrote:Seconding all of that, but also second-hand. He's also apparently notorious for using every inch of the grading scale, so I'd put in a lot of efforts so you don't risk getting your GPA tanked.
can't afford that... the worst part is we are the only small section who has him, don't what he's going to do with our scale...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:08 pm

kuto

New

Post by kuto » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 pm

I can access the page, but it asks for username and password after I click on the exam links :(

kuto

New

Post by kuto » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Saw your message, but I'm not allowed to send PMs by the forum yet.. my email address is kuto688@gmail.com, I ll just take anything you can download

Thank you so much!!! You are a lifesaver!!!

New

Post by 54895 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:41 pm

kuto wrote:
Saw your message, but I'm not allowed to send PMs by the forum yet.. my email address is kuto688@gmail.com, I ll just take anything you can download

Thank you so much!!! You are a lifesaver!!!
Hey Kuto, can you send me those as well...? chelseafc17@gmail.com

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”