UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
xn3345

New

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by xn3345 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Smc1994 wrote:Can anyone speak to the quality of the amenities at shoreland versus vue or regents? Basically, would you have to schlep up to the campus gym to get in a lift if you were living in these apartments?

*0L disclaimer*

There are "3d" models of all three gyms online if you're willing to do some sleuthing. If you can't find them, PM me and I'll get them to you. Vue and Shoreland have gyms that are only really going to be good enough if you only need a treadmill and weights going up to ~40lbs. Regents is much bigger but still might not be enough if you're a serious lifter. It's definitely the best of the three though

EMPS2020

New

Post by EMPS2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm trying to figure out housing (I know a little early but I'm excited). I want to be near a lot of students and live in a nice-ish place with amenities to make life during 1L a little easier. I think I'm choosing between Regents and Vue53. I've eliminated Shoreland because I think it may be a bit too pricey. Was wondering anyone's opinion on these two place?

I think I would shoot for a newly renovated one at Regents. I've seen pics of the Vue53 apartments and the concrete floors dont seem too appealing to me but it seems like it might be overall a little nicer than Regents. Do a lot of students live in Vue53 or would it feel more removed than if you were living at Regents?

I would really appreciate anyone's thought on this. Thanks!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 pm

How is leasing done at Regents? Can one get an individual lease for one room of a multi-roomed apartment? Does Regents pre-lease for the fall?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am

poptart123 wrote:How is leasing done at Regents? Can one get an individual lease for one room of a multi-roomed apartment? Does Regents pre-lease for the fall?
no to the former.

i do not believe they start leases this early for September. you can call and ask, but almost no building in Chicago would sign this far in advance. I signed on at Shoreland over the summer in July.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 am

Smc1994 wrote:Can anyone speak to the quality of the amenities at shoreland versus vue or regents? Basically, would you have to schlep up to the campus gym to get in a lift if you were living in these apartments?
can't speak to the Vue but Shoreland tends to have nicer amenities. Regents has a pool. Shoreland has a ping pong and pool table. Shoreland also has a w/d in unit.

working out at their gyms is doable. they only have so much and it's a small, apartment gym. my guess is it'll work once in awhile and maybe for a week or so, but if you're a serious guy who's looking to gain mass, then you'll need to go to the school gym. you have a bus running outside shoreland and regents which will take you there for free. if you're looking just to stay healthy and de-stress and not pack on 25lbs of muscle for a competition, the apartment gym will be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 am

EMPS2020 wrote:I'm trying to figure out housing (I know a little early but I'm excited). I want to be near a lot of students and live in a nice-ish place with amenities to make life during 1L a little easier. I think I'm choosing between Regents and Vue53. I've eliminated Shoreland because I think it may be a bit too pricey. Was wondering anyone's opinion on these two place?

I think I would shoot for a newly renovated one at Regents. I've seen pics of the Vue53 apartments and the concrete floors dont seem too appealing to me but it seems like it might be overall a little nicer than Regents. Do a lot of students live in Vue53 or would it feel more removed than if you were living at Regents?

+1

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:04 am

armc808 wrote:
EMPS2020 wrote:I'm trying to figure out housing (I know a little early but I'm excited). I want to be near a lot of students and live in a nice-ish place with amenities to make life during 1L a little easier. I think I'm choosing between Regents and Vue53. I've eliminated Shoreland because I think it may be a bit too pricey. Was wondering anyone's opinion on these two place?

+1
not a lot of students live in Vue 53 right now but it also just opened late this summer. i imagine more of your class will go there but as for how many, i have no idea. my guess is more will live in shoreland and regents than vue 53. overwhelmingly, a lot of 1Ls will choose Regents. It will probably be the most popular building. my impression is that vue is nicer and regents is more popular. i don't know about feeling removed living at vue. you'll be at school with your friends most of the time and you can always walk over to regents on the weekends. my biggest concern would be getting to school: i don't think a bus really goes by vue 53 whereas regents has a bus go by right outside.

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 am

There is a 172 stop like a block and a half from Vue53 as well as a stop on the 53rd St Express shuttle which comes every half hour. Pick whatever apartment you would rather live in. Your social life won't be irreparably damaged by living 5 minutes away from your classmates.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smc1994

Silver

Post by Smc1994 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 am

KMart wrote:
can't speak to the Vue but Shoreland tends to have nicer amenities. Regents has a pool. Shoreland has a ping pong and pool table. Shoreland also has a w/d in unit.

working out at their gyms is doable. they only have so much and it's a small, apartment gym. my guess is it'll work once in awhile and maybe for a week or so, but if you're a serious guy who's looking to gain mass, then you'll need to go to the school gym. you have a bus running outside shoreland and regents which will take you there for free. if you're looking just to stay healthy and de-stress and not pack on 25lbs of muscle for a competition, the apartment gym will be fine.
Slam dunk answer. Thanks man

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:35 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:I know we'll only learn our section assignments right before orientation, and I know it's also nothing to worry about, but I'm just curious: Is there any rhyme or reason to the way students are assigned to sections? Do people ever switch sections? Sections are just a 1L thing, right?
No no yes.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:I know we'll only learn our section assignments right before orientation, and I know it's also nothing to worry about, but I'm just curious: Is there any rhyme or reason to the way students are assigned to sections? Do people ever switch sections? Sections are just a 1L thing, right?
Someone from admin once told me that the sections are filled in an intentional way: they try to get an accurate representation of the entire class into each section (spread of GPA, spread of LSAT, diversity, etc). I don't believe that they really spend too much time on this, though, if it's even true.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:28 am

Any reviews of Plaisance, Woodlawn House, Scholars Corner, Museum Walk, Campus Court, The Max or of TLC Management Co.?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:01 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
Someone from admin once told me that the sections are filled in an intentional way: they try to get an accurate representation of the entire class into each section (spread of GPA, spread of LSAT, diversity, etc). I don't believe that they really spend too much time on this, though, if it's even true.
Would not surprise me considering the Rubenstein's were certainly spread throughout sections.

EMPS2020

New

Post by EMPS2020 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:59 pm

KMart wrote:
armc808 wrote:

+1
not a lot of students live in Vue 53 right now but it also just opened late this summer. i imagine more of your class will go there but as for how many, i have no idea. my guess is more will live in shoreland and regents than vue 53. overwhelmingly, a lot of 1Ls will choose Regents. It will probably be the most popular building. my impression is that vue is nicer and regents is more popular. i don't know about feeling removed living at vue. you'll be at school with your friends most of the time and you can always walk over to regents on the weekends. my biggest concern would be getting to school: i don't think a bus really goes by vue 53 whereas regents has a bus go by right outside.

Do you know if Shoreland has furnished units? I'm having a hard time finding this kind of information on their website.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 pm

EMPS2020 wrote:
KMart wrote:
armc808 wrote:

+1

Do you know if Shoreland has furnished units? I'm having a hard time finding this kind of information on their website.
Almost positive they do not.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm

poptart123 wrote:Any reviews of Plaisance, Woodlawn House, Scholars Corner, Museum Walk, Campus Court, The Max or of TLC Management Co.?
I lived in Scholar's from 2011 to 2016. It was really great for the first 3-4 years of that, but went slightly downhill toward the end as they replaced a fantastic building manager with one who was, uh, less good, and started raising rent in response to the competition (vue, shoreland, etc). I recommended it to a bunch of people on here and irl at the law school and as far as I know everyone had good experiences. I am a little less bullish than I was originally, but I'd still recommend it depending on what you're looking for.

Definitely check it out if you're looking for, like, a spacious 1br. You can get some pretty sweet size-for-the-cost value there. It is less modern than the other buildings in the area like regents, but I never really cared about like "building amenities" as compared to the apartment itself.

In terms of TLC in general -- they're decent. They operate in kind of a midrange between the cheap, crappy MAC student housing on the one hand and the newer expensive buildings on the other, but I think they think they're closer to the upscale buildings than they are. Some stuff in scholar's never really got fixed (we had a bathtub that was chronically clogged, and at a certain point they just sorta threw up their hands and said "the pipes are old, not much we can do about it"). But for the most part everything was professional and above board.

I also looked at Plaisance and Woodlawn House when I was looking back in the day. Both felt sorta run-down, but this was like five years ago. I think I tried to look at a couple of the others but they never returned my calls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
poptart123 wrote:Any reviews of Plaisance, Woodlawn House, Scholars Corner, Museum Walk, Campus Court, The Max or of TLC Management Co.?
I lived in Scholar's from 2011 to 2016. It was really great for the first 3-4 years of that, but went slightly downhill toward the end as they replaced a fantastic building manager with one who was, uh, less good, and started raising rent in response to the competition (vue, shoreland, etc). I recommended it to a bunch of people on here and irl at the law school and as far as I know everyone had good experiences. I am a little less bullish than I was originally, but I'd still recommend it depending on what you're looking for.

Definitely check it out if you're looking for, like, a spacious 1br. You can get some pretty sweet size-for-the-cost value there. It is less modern than the other buildings in the area like regents, but I never really cared about like "building amenities" as compared to the apartment itself.

In terms of TLC in general -- they're decent. They operate in kind of a midrange between the cheap, crappy MAC student housing on the one hand and the newer expensive buildings on the other, but I think they think they're closer to the upscale buildings than they are. Some stuff in scholar's never really got fixed (we had a bathtub that was chronically clogged, and at a certain point they just sorta threw up their hands and said "the pipes are old, not much we can do about it"). But for the most part everything was professional and above board.

I also looked at Plaisance and Woodlawn House when I was looking back in the day. Both felt sorta run-down, but this was like five years ago. I think I tried to look at a couple of the others but they never returned my calls.
Awesome review thanks. I like the locations of Plaisance and Scholars Corner, different areas, but one being close to the school and the other close enough to Regents for the fun. Have you heard anything about the renovation at The Max? Prices are reasonable there there. Also curious, but were appliances such as fridge, oven, etc. all included when you looked at TLC? Oh, and did you get them furnished, and if so, what was the furnishing quality?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:10 am

poptart123 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

Awesome review thanks. I like the locations of Plaisance and Scholars Corner, different areas, but one being close to the school and the other close enough to Regents for the fun. Have you heard anything about the renovation at The Max? Prices are reasonable there there. Also curious, but were appliances such as fridge, oven, etc. all included when you looked at TLC? Oh, and did you get them furnished, and if so, what was the furnishing quality?
1- haven't heard of anything nor do i know what the max is, tbh. moved from chicago after graduating last year.

2- yes normal appliances were all included, of course. i didn't have a dishwasher but i know other TLC buildings do. i did have to get a microwave

3- nope, unfurnished. no idea, sorry

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Anybody got a rec for a good supplement to use for Fennell in property? From looking backthread it doesn't seem like there's much difference, but any specific advice would be welcome.

bill_swerski

New

Post by bill_swerski » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Necho2 wrote:Anybody got a rec for a good supplement to use for Fennell in property? From looking backthread it doesn't seem like there's much difference, but any specific advice would be welcome.
Understanding Property Law by Sprankling

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:Do students ever bring their spouses to social things like Bar Review?
yes

Nothing but the Funk

Bronze

Post by Nothing but the Funk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Do students ever bring their spouses to social things like Bar Review?
yes
Is it considered cool or does it seem like the SO's feel out of place?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am

Nothing but the Funk wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
yes
Is it considered cool or does it seem like the SO's feel out of place?
For the most part it's cool. Really depends on the SO and their tolerance of law school chatter. But nobody's going to think it's weird and some of my favorite people from law school were SOs. Something about not being a law student tends to make people more enjoyable to talk with sometimes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”