UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MAPP

Bronze

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by MAPP » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:25 pm

bbridge wrote:
big_willy_style_333 wrote:I have two questions for y'all:

1) How hard is it to find a job in a secondary market outside of the Midwest? I'm thinking of somewhere like San Diego, Phoenix, Atlanta, or Miami. Maybe those are all different, but I'm curious whether UChicago makes sense in any of those scenarios.

Thanks for doing this, this thread has been really helpful
Anecdotally, the UChicago brand carries great weight in secondary markets and it's completely possible to get jobs in those places, especially if you have ties. I know of median-ish people who got jobs at firms in San Diego, Dallas, Philly, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Miami, and New Orleans. Most had at least some reason to be back in those cities, however.
Does being median mean you have to go smaller market? Or can median at UChicago still get you DC?

xn3345

New

Post by xn3345 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Last edited by xn3345 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 pm

xn3345 wrote:So I just got into Chicago and am still in shock :D :D

I've done a bit of apartment hunting online this weekend that has led me to a few questions for you guys. First of all, I don't need to worry about cost at all. I'm tempted by the nicer north side buildings (73 Lake, MILA), but I don't want to 1) alienate myself from my classmates by having too nice of a place that Daddy pays for or 2) have such a long commute that I refrain from hanging out with my classmates. Regents actually looks pretty great to me. My only annoyance is that they don't have in room washers and aren't quite up to par with the other buildings in terms of some amenities/certain little things. Does living in Regents make one feel they are more a part of the law school community Are you my concerns (1 and 2) valid? If so, I assume I should just live - happily - in Regents. If not, should I just live in the nicest place available?

On a related note, would it make sense to hide my parents' financial status from my classmates? I did that during my time at my super liberal SLAC due to a fear of being resented. I know Chicago is a very different environment, but my guess is that it would still be prudent to hide the trappings of being a rich kid from all but close friends. Am I being neurotic?
Congrats on getting in! You don't need to hide your family's wealth. Regents is ok, the units vary pretty dramatically in quality so that's something to keep in mind. Shoreland seems a little nicer to me. I haven't been over to Vue53 but haven't heard any resounding complaints from people who live there. It's probably worth checking out.

1L year you will have classes every weekday and if only for that reason, I think commuting from the north side would be a pain, especially when you have classes starting before 9 AM. For social reasons, it's also kind of nice to be in Hyde Park in case you want to drop stuff off at home or change clothes or something, or if you just generally want to be more readily available for spontaneous hangouts. You can definitely still be social and live on the north side, but it will be slightly less convenient/take up more of your time.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 am

I've done a bit of apartment hunting online this weekend that has led me to a few questions for you guys. First of all, I don't need to worry about cost at all. I'm tempted by the nicer north side buildings (73 Lake, MILA), but I don't want to 1) alienate myself from my classmates by having too nice of a place that Daddy pays for or 2) have such a long commute that I refrain from hanging out with my classmates. Regents actually looks pretty great to me. My only annoyance is that they don't have in room washers and aren't quite up to par with the other buildings in terms of some amenities/certain little things. Does living in Regents make one feel they are more a part of the law school community Are you my concerns (1 and 2) valid? If so, I assume I should just live - happily - in Regents. If not, should I just live in the nicest place available?

On a related note, would it make sense to hide my parents' financial status from my classmates? I did that during my time at my super liberal SLAC due to a fear of being resented. I know Chicago is a very different environment, but my guess is that it would still be prudent to hide the trappings of being a rich kid from all but close friends. Am I being neurotic?
In a bit of a hurry, so I'll make it brief:

Live in HP for 1L. Shoreland is probably your best bet. There are plenty of other rich kids, so you don't need to hide anything. But don't flaunt it either, or people will think you're an asshole.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 am

Recently accepted and very excited.

When is the best time to being looking for housing? Additionally, the university owned studios seem fairly cheap, does anybody have any input on these?

I'm looking at cheaper options. Any input on close (30 min walk or with a 15-20 min bus route max) cheap options is welcome as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

poptart123 wrote:Recently accepted and very excited.

When is the best time to being looking for housing? Additionally, the university owned studios seem fairly cheap, does anybody have any input on these?

I'm looking at cheaper options. Any input on close (30 min walk or with a 15-20 min bus route max) cheap options is welcome as well.
Interested in this as well (though I'd prefer not having a studio)

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Quick question about the quarter system: Is it harder/more annoying to find summer associate work since UChi's academic year goes so much later than other schools (i.e. right to the end of May)?

Also, how many students get a 1L SA position (non-URM) and in what markets? If it's basically no one, then what are the typical 1L summer jobs ppl get (I'd like to find a pretty good summer job to add some $$ to my law school funds)?

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:20 pm

If you want cheap you basically can't start looking until one month before you want to move in. There are some absolutely great deals in hyde park for walk ups. I have twice as much square foot per dollar as the people in regents and shoreland, but I have a small leasing company that only really put up its apartments when they're open.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:23 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:If you want cheap you basically can't start looking until one month before you want to move in. There are some absolutely great deals in hyde park for walk ups. I have twice as much square foot per dollar as the people in regents and shoreland, but I have a small leasing company that only really put up its apartments when they're open.
Interesting. Do you mind telling the name? You can PM me if you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 pm

I personally use Parker-Holsman but there are at least a dozen of these small rental companies in Hyde Park. Not even joking but Craigslist is a good place to start.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 pm

MAPP wrote:Quick question about the quarter system: Is it harder/more annoying to find summer associate work since UChi's academic year goes so much later than other schools (i.e. right to the end of May)?

Also, how many students get a 1L SA position (non-URM) and in what markets? If it's basically no one, then what are the typical 1L summer jobs ppl get (I'd like to find a pretty good summer job to add some $$ to my law school funds)?
1. No

2. ~10-15% for the entire class. I'd suspect most of those are URM and they range in markets. Most people will work for the Government or in PI. The remainder are either RAs or working for a clinic. The school will pay you $5k if you're at the Gov or PI

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm

What do you mean by the trappings of being a rich kid? (You don't have to answer, I'm just curious.) I haven't heard anyone comment on anyone's financial background here at all, much less in a negative way.

chicago-gunner123

New

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Does anyone know anything about the grading policies of the different clinics (i.e. how easy is it to get a 180+)? I am thinking of joining IJ or Housing Initiative next quarter. Advice on grading leniency for either would be helpful, thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:26 pm

chicago-gunner123 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the grading policies of the different clinics (i.e. how easy is it to get a 180+)? I am thinking of joining IJ or Housing Initiative next quarter. Advice on grading leniency for either would be helpful, thanks!
I got a 180 in Housing Initiative and was barely ever even around. I mean, I did good work, but it wasn't particularly taxing. And Jeff Leslie is awesome.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:26 pm

KMart wrote:
MAPP wrote:Quick question about the quarter system: Is it harder/more annoying to find summer associate work since UChi's academic year goes so much later than other schools (i.e. right to the end of May)?

1. No

2. ~10-15% for the entire class. I'd suspect most of those are URM and they range in markets. Most people will work for the Government or in PI. The remainder are either RAs or working for a clinic. The school will pay you $5k if you're at the Gov or PI
How much does gov or PI pay? At least enough to cover rent and food?

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 pm

MAPP wrote: How much does gov or PI pay? At least enough to cover rent and food?
KMart wrote:The school will pay you $5k if you're at the Gov or PI
If you get your own outside funding or happen to find a paid gov or PI summer internship (lol) my understanding is that the school will still pay you but not the full $5k, they adjust down depending on how much your other income is.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:56 pm

archipm wrote:
MAPP wrote: How much does gov or PI pay? At least enough to cover rent and food?
KMart wrote:The school will pay you $5k if you're at the Gov or PI
If you get your own outside funding or happen to find a paid gov or PI summer internship (lol) my understanding is that the school will still pay you but not the full $5k, they adjust down depending on how much your other income is.
Ah, I assumed those were unpaid but I didn't know for sure, thx

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Necho2 wrote:Ok so know that we have our grades (2 whole classes worth...), anybody able to contribute a little more color on what they mean beyond what is says on the school website? Like is it even useful to ask what the distribution is across those letter grades correlated to different numbers?
Terribly imperfect BUT:

170-172 - C- (Discretionary)
173, 174 - C (5%)
175 - C+/B- (5%)
176 - B- (10%)
177 - B-/B (30%)
178 - B/B+ (20%)
179 - B+ (10%)
180 - A- (10%)
181, 182 - A (5%)
183 - A+ (<5%)
184-186 - A++ (Discretionary)

I'm firing from the hip on distribution, but based on anecdata i generally assume that 49.9% are 178 or above (e.g. the school seems to do everything it can to make (a) 177 median, (b) the curve look somewhat normal and (c) helping ensure the maximum students in any given class are "above median").

I also say that with the massive caveat that LRW, seminars and clinics will differ and in paper classes (vs exam) I think there's a more flexible (flatter) curve.

I now look forward to a hero this thread needs coming in to flex their intellect by DESTROYING my massively caveated spectrum.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 pm

When I look at the 2015 employment data there are 11 graduates in university funded positions. What do these positions generally include? Are they a sort of fellowships or are they like admissions office work?

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Any current UChi students wanna set me up with some housing links/ideas/options for the class of 2020 thread?

charmonster

New

Post by charmonster » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 am

poptart123 wrote:When I look at the 2015 employment data there are 11 graduates in university funded positions. What do these positions generally include? Are they a sort of fellowships or are they like admissions office work?
They are one-year public interest fellowship positions. You find an org willing to sponsor, the school pays you to work there for a year. Pretty good gig to get off the ground in public interest—gives you time to pass the bar and hustle. Generally not somewhere that firm-bound people want to end up, but it happens.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:05 am

charmonster wrote:
poptart123 wrote:When I look at the 2015 employment data there are 11 graduates in university funded positions. What do these positions generally include? Are they a sort of fellowships or are they like admissions office work?
They are one-year public interest fellowship positions. You find an org willing to sponsor, the school pays you to work there for a year. Pretty good gig to get off the ground in public interest—gives you time to pass the bar and hustle. Generally not somewhere that firm-bound people want to end up, but it happens.
So are these fellowships people seek and are somewhat competitive or are they fellowships where somebody without a job lined up falls into?

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 pm

How should I be approaching Sec Reg with Henderson? I'm starting to think I'd be better off ignoring the case book (except for the cases themselves) and just reading the statutes a bunch. Anyone with experience?

charmonster

New

Post by charmonster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 am

poptart123 wrote:So are these fellowships people seek and are somewhat competitive or are they fellowships where somebody without a job lined up falls into?
I'm not sure, others w/ more experience in PI should weigh in. They are definitely a fallback for people who don't have a job, but I think they are can still be a pretty cool opportunity. My sense is that there are two paths to them:

1. don't have a firm job or end up in the Vale for some reason, and then at least you can get a fellowship gig somewhere else to get on your feet. I know like one person who did this (but I am sure there are more, people wouldn't be likely to talk about this openly).
2. use them as a fallback from other public interest jobs. I know several people doing this. They've applied for government honors jobs (RIP) or for the competitive national fellowships (Skadden or EJW) and if they aren't selected for those they plan to apply to use one of the UChicago sponsorships instead. I think the deadline is later than for the other fellowships.

I mean, I don't think UChicago wants you to be unemployed, so they aren't competitive in that sense. If you come here, you really don't have to worry about striking out and not landing on your feet (at least for a year). But I've heard that they aren't viewed as lesser than other fellowships for getting into public interest.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 am

charmonster wrote:
poptart123 wrote:So are these fellowships people seek and are somewhat competitive or are they fellowships where somebody without a job lined up falls into?
I'm not sure, others w/ more experience in PI should weigh in. They are definitely a fallback for people who don't have a job, but I think they are can still be a pretty cool opportunity. My sense is that there are two paths to them:

1. don't have a firm job or end up in the Vale for some reason, and then at least you can get a fellowship gig somewhere else to get on your feet. I know like one person who did this (but I am sure there are more, people wouldn't be likely to talk about this openly).
2. use them as a fallback from other public interest jobs. I know several people doing this. They've applied for government honors jobs (RIP) or for the competitive national fellowships (Skadden or EJW) and if they aren't selected for those they plan to apply to use one of the UChicago sponsorships instead. I think the deadline is later than for the other fellowships.

I mean, I don't think UChicago wants you to be unemployed, so they aren't competitive in that sense. If you come here, you really don't have to worry about striking out and not landing on your feet (at least for a year). But I've heard that they aren't viewed as lesser than other fellowships for getting into public interest.
This was super helpful. Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”