UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
megaTTTron

Silver

Re: UChi 1Ls - Finished with Finals & Taking Questions

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:32 am

EDIT: nvm.

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 am

I saw on the school site that Regents had a student discount rate of $1045/month for 1-bedrooms for 2010-2011. Anyone know if this rate might go up/down next year, and if this rate will stay the same if I sign a 2 year contract instead of a 1 year contract?

Also, when should I sign a lease? Is April (ASW) too early? I'm not sure if I'll be in the States during the summer, so I feel like I should get it out of the way sooner rather than later, and not make my parents deal with the paperwork by themselves.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:39 pm

soupisgood wrote:I saw on the school site that Regents had a student discount rate of $1045/month for 1-bedrooms for 2010-2011. Anyone know if this rate might go up/down next year, and if this rate will stay the same if I sign a 2 year contract instead of a 1 year contract?

Also, when should I sign a lease? Is April (ASW) too early? I'm not sure if I'll be in the States during the summer, so I feel like I should get it out of the way sooner rather than later, and not make my parents deal with the paperwork by themselves.

They haven't determined what the rate will be next year. If you sign a 2 year lease, you are protected from it going up more than 5%. You can set it up so your 2nd year lease would end in June, which is better in case you want to move right after you graduate.

As for the lease, you don't need to sign any lease over ASW... I didn't sign mine until I moved in in September. But what you definitely want to do if you are considering Regents is apply to live there. It costs $50.00 to apply, but the sooner you apply, the higher you are on the list, and the more likely you are to get the floor plan/view you want. It doesn't matter if you want a one bed/two bed, you don't even need to know your roommate, you just need to apply to get in line.

P.S. I love living in Regents.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:22 pm

California Babe wrote:
Sentry wrote:What cable/internet provider to you use? I really don't want to have to deal with TWC again.
I use Comcast for cable/internet. I think Regents gives law students free wifi and a lot of the students use Direct TV for cable.
Yes, Regents has free internet. And some people complain about it, but I think it's pretty fast. It's much better than I expected. And if you live in Regents and want cable, you are forced to get Direct TV.

As for the Regents lease signing, I didn't sign my lease until the day I moved in. I wouldn't recommend the 2-year lease unless you are absolutely sure you will enjoy living in Hyde Park two years. I know a lot of 2Ls move, and I don't blame them. I'm guessing the rate wouldn't jump above 5% anyway (but that is all speculation). And yes, I recommend applying ASAP because of what ellewoods said.

Regents can nickel and dime you to death, but I really enjoy living there. I recommend it.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 am

I just renewed my lease for the 2nd year... it's definitely not something you have to do right away. I would make sure you like living in Regents before you sign 2 a two year lease. The nice perk though is that you get a free year of gym membership for signing for your 2nd year, and combining it with the 3 months they give you initially, you can have a free gym membership for quite awhile (if that's important to you)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:02 pm

What are the things you have enjoyed most about studying law at Chicago and how has (and do you see it in the future) its curriculum and academic environment helped you achieve your personal and professional goals?

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:14 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:What are the things you have enjoyed most about studying law at Chicago
seriously amazing faculty, and great classroom experience
non-competitive environment (at least i think so)
some really good lunch lectures
very nice facilities, esp the library. the campus is beautiful.
and not related to studying, but i really like OCS (career services) so far. my advisor helped me with my resume and cover letter and OCS has had lots of little meetings and workshops for 1Ls; they were great for me at least because i have a non-legal background and didn't know what i was doing at all.
BeachedBrit wrote:how has (and do you see it in the future) its curriculum and academic environment helped you achieve your personal and professional goals?
i haven't experienced the mania of spring quarter yet so i can't really answer this very well, but i imagine i'll have a pretty hardcore work ethic by the time i'm done. haha.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:What are the things you have enjoyed most about studying law at Chicago and how has (and do you see it in the future) its curriculum and academic environment helped you achieve your personal and professional goals?
:lol:

This sounds like a question for an application essay.

I'd echo most of what cranberry said.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:45 pm

Emma. wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:What are the things you have enjoyed most about studying law at Chicago and how has (and do you see it in the future) its curriculum and academic environment helped you achieve your personal and professional goals?

I felt weird just reading it when I saw her ask that question

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Emma. wrote:

+1

Also, the chairs are awesome.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:44 pm

California Babe wrote:
Emma. wrote:

+1

What gave it away 8)

The chairs do look awesome, how to convey that appropriately is the challenge

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:25 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Emma. wrote:

+1

What gave it away 8)

Do it like Cooley does their rankings.
Comfortable chairs means happy students who are in good health and have good posture. Good health, posture, and happy students are very important to keeping a school running.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Emma. wrote:

+1

What gave it away 8)

If you are writing a "Why UChi?" I'm happy to talk to you more about school and why I think it is great here - just PM me.

Maybe it would be helpful to your essay to be able to say that you have talked to current students, just to show that you have made that extra effort to learn about the school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:25 am

California Babe wrote:
Emma. wrote:

+1

You've clearly never had a class in room V. :D

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Does anyone know anything about the IJ Clinic on Entrepreneurship or the Corporate Lab?

Also does anyone have any info on any of these clubs: Chicago investment law club; Law and Internet Forum; Law, Inc. and the Personal Finance Club?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:47 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Does anyone know anything about the IJ Clinic on Entrepreneurship or the Corporate Lab?

Also does anyone have any info on any of these clubs: Chicago investment law club; Law and Internet Forum; Law, Inc. and the Personal Finance Club?
As 1Ls we can't get on clinics or the Corporate lab, but maybe a 2L or 3L will chip in here?

The IJ Entrepreneurship clinic seems pretty cool, I might try to work for them this summer. From the clinic website "The IJ Clinic teams lower-income entrepreneurs with some of the nation’s brightest law students [that's us, apparently :oops: :lol: ] to provide entry-level business people with the legal support they need to pursue their dreams." There is some pretty good info here: http://ij.org/index.php?option=com_cont ... Itemid=251

Corporate lab also sounds pretty cool. Paraphrased from a handout: "Students work with legal teams from companies like JPMorgan Chase, United, AT&T on issues relating to multinational business. The course aims to teach practical skills by working on actual projects with in-house counsel and by collaborating in the classroom on legal issues raised by the projects"

I don't know if the investment club or personal finance clubs are very active, and if they are I think they'd mostly consist of social activities with maybe some shared investment advice? I keep missing LINC meetings but among other things they aim to create opportunities for students from the Law School to get together socially with students from Booth. I think they also have some lunch events with guest speakers from corporate law types.
Last edited by Emma. on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Does anyone know anything about the IJ Clinic on Entrepreneurship or the Corporate Lab?

Where's TToN, he's the KING of corporate lab.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sentry

Silver

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Post by Sentry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:28 am

How do students feel about the grading scale? I've read that it ends up hurting some students more than a standard A,B,C, etc. scale would.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Sentry wrote:How do students feel about the grading scale? I've read that it ends up hurting some students more than a standard A,B,C, etc. scale would.
I'll let you know in two weeks. :wink:

But seriously, I'm not exactly too fond of it. It lets you know where you stand in the class, but something like the difference between a 176 and a 178 may be extremely arbitrary. I'd rather have letter grades (if only because employers can understand those), but the grading scale isn't too big of a deal.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:36 pm

What has everyones best experience been at Chicago? (something that happened, a lecture, lunch with prof etc.)

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Does anyone ride a bike (obviously not in the winter, but other times of the year)? Is there a place to store a bike in Regents?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm

eskimo wrote:Does anyone ride a bike (obviously not in the winter, but other times of the year)? Is there a place to store a bike in Regents?
Lots of bike riders at the law school, even in the winter.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:39 pm

California Babe wrote:
eskimo wrote:Does anyone ride a bike (obviously not in the winter, but other times of the year)? Is there a place to store a bike in Regents?
:shock: wow. I guess I'm a little too wimpy for that. :D But good to know, thanks!

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:51 pm

eskimo wrote:
California Babe wrote:
:shock: wow. I guess I'm a little too wimpy for that. :D But good to know, thanks!
and yes, Regents has free bike storage in the parking garage.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 pm

So Regents ppl...

Just looked at the leasing app and realized that I cant answer any of the questions as I have only ever lived in University dorms/apartments. How hard is it to get a place in Regents??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”