Fordham 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ZVBXRPL

Silver

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:18 pm

bretby wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
bretby wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:Any way we can revive this?
What's your question?
They say top 22% get 500+ firms. Is it just this or did these people also join journals/clinics/relevant experience?
That seems like a really random stat, but there is this: http://www.vault.com/blog/vaults-law-bl ... er_ID=7778
Whats a 1L student schedule like? What do you think of the 4 year program for someone looking to work part-time?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
bretby wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
bretby wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:Any way we can revive this?
What's your question?
They say top 22% get 500+ firms. Is it just this or did these people also join journals/clinics/relevant experience?
That seems like a really random stat, but there is this: http://www.vault.com/blog/vaults-law-bl ... er_ID=7778
Whats a 1L student schedule like? What do you think of the 4 year program for someone looking to work part-time?
I'd also like to know what a full time 1L schedule looks like

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 pm

fordham 1ls any of you still around?

i am wondering how accessible old exams are for you guys? is there an online bank or do you have to personally request from each professor?

also is your legal writing class pass/fail or graded?

lastly, what is the gym situation like there?

is there is a school gym at the lincoln center we get access too or if we are completely on our own for working out?

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:48 pm

aryi3025 wrote:fordham 1ls any of you still around?

i am wondering how accessible old exams are for you guys? is there an online bank or do you have to personally request from each professor?

is there is a school gym at the lincoln center we get access too or if we are completely on our own for working out?

Thanks y'all
Lmao I thoughtI was the only one with a gym question.

I went to ASD and asked the 1L student rep that question. She said there is a gym but its meh and small...but she didnt look or sound like she actually went to the gym, but just took a peek and left. lol

I forgot where she said it was.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Found gym info:

Listed below is information on Fordham University's fitness center and private fitness centers in the vicinity of the Law School.
Fordham University Lincoln Center Fitness Center
McMahon Hall, 2nd Floor
The fitness center on the second floor of the Residence Hall is equipped with Nautilus machines, treadmills, and elliptical machines. Hours of operation are 6:00 a.m. to Midnight. All faculty, administrators, alumni, staff, and students are welcome to use the fitness center. Guests are not allowed. All fitness center users are required to have their ID in their possession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Do any current students (or any 0Ls who know better than me) remember/know around when we get information about which section we're in, schedule information, etc.? Is it sometime over the summer or not until orientation?

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:Found gym info:

Listed below is information on Fordham University's fitness center and private fitness centers in the vicinity of the Law School.
Fordham University Lincoln Center Fitness Center
McMahon Hall, 2nd Floor
The fitness center on the second floor of the Residence Hall is equipped with Nautilus machines, treadmills, and elliptical machines. Hours of operation are 6:00 a.m. to Midnight. All faculty, administrators, alumni, staff, and students are welcome to use the fitness center. Guests are not allowed. All fitness center users are required to have their ID in their possession.
hahahaha nice find. and im glad someone else is thinking about it. I saw on the facebook group there was a 2L who was taking questions and someone asked about it. He mentioned there are some weights and such in there too but ya it's on the smaller side and nobody uses it (which sounds good, more space for my workout lol)

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:Do any current students (or any 0Ls who know better than me) remember/know around when we get information about which section we're in, schedule information, etc.? Is it sometime over the summer or not until orientation?
+1

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 am

fazzvm56 wrote:Do any current students (or any 0Ls who know better than me) remember/know around when we get information about which section we're in, schedule information, etc.? Is it sometime over the summer or not until orientation?
If you look through the thread, you will notice many students recieved this information mid-late summer. We have to at least get through the second deposit deadline. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

itsoram

New

Post by itsoram » Tue May 16, 2017 1:51 pm

It looks like this thread has not been very active. I am a full time law student at Fordham and will be taking any questions.

Thanks y'all
Access to old exams usually depends on each Professor. Some Professors will release them electronically, some will have them on reserve in the library towards the end of the semester. For 1L courses, you are more likely to find old exams. Most organizations maintain their own outline bank. Fordham does a decent job connecting you with some 2Ls/3Ls (like assigning student advisers).

Legal writing is graded, but only three credits for both semesters combined.

As some others have said, there is a gym in McMahon Hall, which is the undergraduate dorm at the Lincoln Center campus. A lot of students sign up for a Fordham YMCA deal ($100 a semester). There are also other choices like Equinox.
lillawyer2 wrote:
If you look through the thread, you will notice many students recieved this information mid-late summer. We have to at least get through the second deposit deadline. lol
Probably late summer, around orientation week.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 am

itsoram wrote:It looks like this thread has not been very active. I am a full time law student at Fordham and will be taking any questions.

Thanks y'all
Access to old exams usually depends on each Professor. Some Professors will release them electronically, some will have them on reserve in the library towards the end of the semester. For 1L courses, you are more likely to find old exams. Most organizations maintain their own outline bank. Fordham does a decent job connecting you with some 2Ls/3Ls (like assigning student advisers).

As some others have said, there is a gym in McMahon Hall, which is the undergraduate dorm at the Lincoln Center campus. A lot of students sign up for a Fordham YMCA deal ($100 a semester). There are also other choices like Equinox.
lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time out.

How is the 1L schedule? Do you have classes everyday? How long is each class?

What is the process for getting a job during 1L? I rememvee at orientation a student guide was talking about it, but she was late in the game. She didn't even know there was a process.

How is the work load?

How was midterms-you guys get midterms, right or at least some sort of assignment before finals.

How is the networking at Fordham?

How are you fairing at Fordham? Is the school everything you hopped for?

I can't think of anything else right now, but I appreciate you taking the time out to answer.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
itsoram wrote:It looks like this thread has not been very active. I am a full time law student at Fordham and will be taking any questions.

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

What is the process for getting a job during 1L? I rememvee at orientation a student guide was talking about it, but she was late in the game. She didn't even know there was a process.

How is the work load?

How was midterms-you guys get midterms, right or at least some sort of assignment before finals.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I appreciate you taking the time out to answer.
Rising 3L at Fordham. I can help here.

1L schedule is pretty fair; first semester you have three classes and Legal Research & Writing. Second semester you have four classes and LRW. Classes both semesters are every day, though this changes in 2L & 3L (no Friday classes).

Getting a job for 1L summer is not hard, regardless of the school you attend. We have a job bank online you can use (that's how I got my 1L summer job) or you can apply to things on your own (including judges). The school sets up enough programs for you to know when it's time to start looking for summer work, though don't rely too much on the career center for most things.

Workload during 1L is standard; day-to-day isn't bad, but ramps up towards finals. First semester I could easily do a 9-6 schedule, second semester was a little more because of the extra class (Con-Law).

We didn't have midterms as 1Ls, but I know now they give an assignment in some classes (like a mock-exam) that's graded, so you get a sense of what an exam looks like and how to better prepare for them. I don't think they have a real effect on your final grade though.

Networking is great at Fordham. The big firms are always recruiting; they come to school and set up tables, they sponsor finals breakfasts, they invite students to receptions etc. There are also other events at the school for all different interests (public interest, wannabe clerks, government).

Fordham has been nothing but good to me; made law review, starting my SA next week, made great friends.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:20 am

MurdockLLP wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

How is the work load?

1L schedule is pretty fair; first semester you have three classes and Legal Research & Writing. Second semester you have four classes and LRW. Classes both semesters are every day, though this changes in 2L & 3L (no Friday classes).

Getting a job for 1L summer is not hard, regardless of the school you attend. We have a job bank online you can use (that's how I got my 1L summer job) or you can apply to things on your own (including judges). The school sets up enough programs for you to know when it's time to start looking for summer work, though don't rely too much on the career center for most things.

Workload during 1L is standard; day-to-day isn't bad, but ramps up towards finals. First semester I could easily do a 9-6 schedule, second semester was a little more because of the extra class (Con-Law).

We didn't have midterms as 1Ls, but I know now they give an assignment in some classes (like a mock-exam) that's graded, so you get a sense of what an exam looks like and how to better prepare for them. I don't think they have a real effect on your final grade though.

Networking is great at Fordham. The big firms are always recruiting; they come to school and set up tables, they sponsor finals breakfasts, they invite students to receptions etc. There are also other events at the school for all different interests (public interest, wannabe clerks, government).

Fordham has been nothing but good to me; made law review, starting my SA next week, made great friends.

Ah $100 gym membership per semester at the YMCA?! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

How was OCI? What if you arent at the top of your class-how are the pickings?

Big firms come to recruit at Fordham?! I did not know this. I thought only Columbia and NYU get a slice of that pie! This makes me feel better.

How are the networking events? I always get nervous and can't speak. :(

I am going to this admitted student event at Meyer Brown LlP. I am a shy person and figured I should try to break out of the habit before school starts and what better way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itsoram

New

Post by itsoram » Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 am

MurdockLLP wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

How is the work load?

I agree with most of this, but will add a few comments. 1L Fridays are usually pretty relaxed, unless your legal writing gets scheduled for that day. Some 1Ls choose study abroad for their 1L summers if they don't want to get a traditional internship, or are having trouble doing so. Workload completely depends on how you work and your professors, so take specifics with a grain of salt. Many professors do give graded assignment "midterms" but sometimes they are not graded. I haven't heard of an in-class midterm before for 1Ls. Networking is good. Fordham people generally like to help other Fordham people.

MurdockLLP, congratulations on your successes at Fordham! I wonder if we've ever met :)
lillawyer2 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

How is the work load?

Big firms come to recruit at Fordham?! I did not know this. I thought only Columbia and NYU get a slice of that pie! This makes me feel better.

I am going to this admitted student event at Meyer Brown LlP. I am a shy person and figured I should try to break out of the habit before school starts and what better way.
OCI is mostly a private sector thing. If you are someone who is interested in the public sector, then you might not even want to do OCI. Regarding biglaw placement, Fordham has similar opportunities compared to its peer schools, which I consider the regional non T-14 schools. The top 10% typically get jobs quickly during OCI. A big chunk of the top 25% end up with big law gigs lined up for the summer, especially those on law review. The 25%/33% to median range has it a bit tougher, but your success during OCI may vary depending on some soft factors. I am not sure about how many students under median end up going to big firms after OCI, but there are a lot of medium and smaller firms that participate in OCI. There are also JD advantaged positions like compliance in-house and consulting.

A very large pool of NYC big law firms (probably most) come to Fordham OCI.

The networking events are generally fun, and the firm ones will have pretty good refreshments.

You should definitely go to the Mayer Brown admitted student event. It will mostly be alumni who work there, but you will meet other 0Ls and probably some 2L SAs and 3Ls starting there soon. The more you network, the less shy you will feel about it. Great attitude!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 am

itsoram wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

How is the work load?

I agree with most of this, but will add a few comments. 1L Fridays are usually pretty relaxed, unless your legal writing gets scheduled for that day. Some 1Ls choose study abroad for their 1L summers if they don't want to get a traditional internship, or are having trouble doing so. Workload completely depends on how you work and your professors, so take specifics with a grain of salt. Many professors do give graded assignment "midterms" but sometimes they are not graded. I haven't heard of an in-class midterm before for 1Ls. Networking is good. Fordham people generally like to help other Fordham people.

MurdockLLP, congratulations on your successes at Fordham! I wonder if we've ever met :)
lillawyer2 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Thanks y'all

lillawyer2 wrote:
Hey,

How is the work load?

OCI is mostly a private sector thing. If you are someone who is interested in the public sector, then you might not even want to do OCI. Regarding biglaw placement, Fordham has similar opportunities compared to its peer schools, which I consider the regional non T-14 schools. The top 10% typically get jobs quickly during OCI. A big chunk of the top 25% end up with big law gigs lined up for the summer, especially those on law review. The 25%/33% to median range has it a bit tougher, but your success during OCI may vary depending on some soft factors. I am not sure about how many students under median end up going to big firms after OCI, but there are a lot of medium and smaller firms that participate in OCI. There are also JD advantaged positions like compliance in-house and consulting.

A very large pool of NYC big law firms (probably most) come to Fordham OCI.

The networking events are generally fun, and the firm ones will have pretty good refreshments.

You should definitely go to the Mayer Brown admitted student event. It will mostly be alumni who work there, but you will meet other 0Ls and probably some 2L SAs and 3Ls starting there soon. The more you network, the less shy you will feel about it. Great attitude!

Thanks for your indepth answer! OCI is for the private sector. How do people usually get jobs for the public sector? What are some examples of public sector gigs? I do not want to work for corporate. I hate my current job. So many sneaks, liars and psychopaths in high positions. I am learning to navigate especially since I'm leaving soon and no fucks given.

I really will try with the Mayer Brown event. I went to ASD and my lips were shut tight. I haven't been so awkward since middle school. I am usually a social butterfly-once i warm up, but i never did! i was so flustered and nervous-i left once the reception started. I did have to meet up with some old friends, but i much rather would have kept them waiting, if i could have just found my voice... i feel like if i force myself to go to this MB event, i can't be shy.

itsoram

New

Post by itsoram » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

lillawyer2 wrote: Thanks for your indepth answer! OCI is for the private sector. How do people usually get jobs for the public sector? What are some examples of public sector gigs? I do not want to work for corporate. I hate my current job. So many sneaks, liars and psychopaths in high positions. I am learning to navigate especially since I'm leaving soon and no fucks given.

I really will try with the Mayer Brown event. I went to ASD and my lips were shut tight. I haven't been so awkward since middle school. I am usually a social butterfly-once i warm up, but i never did! i was so flustered and nervous-i left once the reception started. I did have to meet up with some old friends, but i much rather would have kept them waiting, if i could have just found my voice... i feel like if i force myself to go to this MB event, i can't be shy.
The path for public sector is much less defined (a path I have not personally explored), but I can give you my impressions. OCI might have a few public sector employers, but not many, and most likely not during Early Interview Week (when all the big firms come). Some of the Stein Scholars didn't even do OCI, I think. Public sector ranges from non-profits to government work. A lot of people are interested in being a prosecutor, for example, and pursue internships for that. Some others have a specific area of public interest that they are committed to, like civil rights law. I have heard that for the latter, it is important to have experience reflecting your interest. Fordham has a Public Interest Resource Center, where you can learn more. And if you become a Stein Scholar, there are even more resources available to you.

You can do it! There are a lot of introverted lawyers and law students. Confidence is something you can build over time, and putting yourself out there by going to these events will help.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 pm

From your experience, your social network I guess, how are the folks at and below medium doing in the job hunt? Is it just a standard hustlefest where New York is a significant advantage or are they struggling the same as other T1s and beyond?
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itsoram

New

Post by itsoram » Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm

AJordan wrote:From your experience, your social network I guess, how are the folks at and below medium doing in the job hunt? Is it just a standard hustlefest where New York is a significant advantage or are they struggling the same as other T1s and beyond?
Anecdotally, some have found positions over the summer through hustling, hard work, connections, or luck. Fordham is one of the stronger regional schools in the T1 in terms of biglaw placement, but I am not too familiar with the large scale data for other tracks. Personally, I am not sure whether NY gives you a significant advantage (I think there is some advantage) in the job hunt for non-biglaw. It is the biggest market, for sure, but it is also a saturated market.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:08 pm

itsoram wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote: Thanks for your indepth answer! OCI is for the private sector. How do people usually get jobs for the public sector? What are some examples of public sector gigs? I do not want to work for corporate. I hate my current job. So many sneaks, liars and psychopaths in high positions. I am learning to navigate especially since I'm leaving soon and no fucks given.

The path for public sector is much less defined (a path I have not personally explored), but I can give you my impressions. OCI might have a few public sector employers, but not many, and most likely not during Early Interview Week (when all the big firms come). Some of the Stein Scholars didn't even do OCI, I think. Public sector ranges from non-profits to government work. A lot of people are interested in being a prosecutor, for example, and pursue internships for that. Some others have a specific area of public interest that they are committed to, like civil rights law. I have heard that for the latter, it is important to have experience reflecting your interest. Fordham has a Public Interest Resource Center, where you can learn more. And if you become a Stein Scholar, there are even more resources available to you.

You can do it! There are a lot of introverted lawyers and law students. Confidence is something you can build over time, and putting yourself out there by going to these events will help.

THANKS! I am interested in AUSA at the moment, but ai heard this was something many go into after big law.

I know of at least one Fordham Law professor is on tv. I think CNN. She goes on from time to time. My dad always shouts at me that he sees her. I wonder how lawyers get gigs like that?

itsoram

New

Post by itsoram » Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
itsoram wrote:

THANKS! I am interested in AUSA at the moment, but ai heard this was something many go into after big law.

I know of at least one Fordham Law professor is on tv. I think CNN. She goes on from time to time. My dad always shouts at me that he sees her. I wonder how lawyers get gigs like that?
AUSA is pretty hard to get straight out of law school. You usually need some experience. Best routes into AUSA are probably clerkship / biglaw / DA's office. If you're serious about it, you can start looking into a 1L summer internship at the US Attorneys Office (not uncommon at Fordham). Also, look up DOJ Honors Program.

No idea how lawyers end up as TV advisor though.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm

itsoram wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
itsoram wrote:

AUSA is pretty hard to get straight out of law school. You usually need some experience. Best routes into AUSA are probably clerkship / biglaw / DA's office. If you're serious about it, you can start looking into a 1L summer internship at the US Attorneys Office (not uncommon at Fordham). Also, look up DOJ Honors Program.

No idea how lawyers end up as TV advisor though.
thank you!

Do you know if Fordham has intramural sports teams? I know a couple law schools have them. There usually volleyball, softball, soccer or jogging.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Bach-City wrote:Hey, does anyone know what Fordham's median 1L GPA is?

Thanks!
Not sure of 1L info is available, but here's the GPA distribution each year:

https://www.fordham.edu/info/20662/regi ... mic_honors

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”