Fordham 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by LS-boundNYC » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:36 pm

mbweissman wrote:
My work schedule is flexible - I'll be able to leave to make class, and I was hoping to do some reading on the train...
I'm concerned I might be living in a dream world in terms of the feasibility of the workload though. Realistically, how much time do you devote to reading / schoolwork on a given day?
I'm a 1LE. I know folks who are commuting in from various parts of NJ, CT, and Long Island, but I can't say I've heard of anyone going an hour and a half each way. I think the most I've heard is an hour (and that's actually from the further reaches of Brooklyn). Your situation would require a lot of commitment.

But if you were EXTREMELY disciplined, I could see it work to do all of your reading on the train. It depends on your study schedule. Right now, I'm able to leave the office by 2 or 3 each day, and I do almost all my reading during the hours between the time I get to campus and the time class starts, plus a good 12-15 hours on the weekend. I've never NOT been able to read for class and be relatively fluent in the topic for the day.

Do keep in mind, though, that at certain points in the semester, you also have non-reading assignments you'll have to spend significant amounts of time working on (e.g. I spend about 30+ hours two weekends ago working on my long memo, since I could barely work on it during the week with work and regular class reading). That would be my major concern for someone like yourself trying to commute in...

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Recently admitted off the WL!!! I'm curious, where would you current Fordham students start looking if you had 1800/month to spend?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:Recently admitted off the WL!!! I'm curious, where would you current Fordham students start looking if you had 1800/month to spend?
If you mean living arrangements, there are some really nice studios on the UWS at that range, and if you're willing to work for it, I'm sure you could find a one bedroom within budget. Just figure that for every block up or down, it'll take about 1 minute to walk to school, and about the same by subway.
(I used to live on 85th, and I'd get to class in under half an hour)

If you'd rather not spend as much, Hell's Kitchen is a bit cheaper and just as close by.
(Hells kitchen starts about 2 blocks south of the law school)

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:Recently admitted off the WL!!! I'm curious, where would you current Fordham students start looking if you had 1800/month to spend?
Ha, if I had that much money to spend I'd get a cheaper spot with someone else and save the rest of that money for other things....which is exactly what I did.

But you can get a really nice spot by yourself around the law school for that much. Someone I know has a $1900 1 bedroom (it was NICE too...the kitchen was separate from the living room which was separate from the bedroom) walking distance from campus.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 am

Gotti wrote:(it was NICE too...the kitchen was separate from the living room which was separate from the bedroom)
I bet it was even separate from the bathroom.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 am

Gotti wrote: 1 bedroom (it was NICE too...the kitchen was separate from the living room which was separate from the bedroom)
Not to sound snarky, but, that's the definition of a 1 bedroom (as opposed to a studio)

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
Gotti wrote: 1 bedroom (it was NICE too...the kitchen was separate from the living room which was separate from the bedroom)
Not to sound snarky, but, that's the definition of a 1 bedroom (as opposed to a studio)
nah but i've been to tons of places where the kitchen was part of the living room in a 1 bedroom (like behind where the couch goes)...and for an apartment that big right near campus for <$2000 is pretty good.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Gotti wrote:
dingbat wrote:
nah but i've been to tons of places where the kitchen was part of the living room in a 1 bedroom (like behind where the couch goes)...and for an apartment that big right near campus for <$2000 is pretty good.
There are a ton of two bedrooms where the kitchen is part of the living room. It's VERY common.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:43 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Gotti wrote:
dingbat wrote:
There are a ton of two bedrooms where the kitchen is part of the living room. It's VERY common.
Or places with the shower in the kitchen. And heating poles... ;)

I miss NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:48 pm

I remember seeing quite a bit of crappy apartments when I first moved to the city, but that was many moons ago.
The last time I got a new apartment in the city I actually had money, so I didn't see any dumps.

Although, for under $2k per month, there are really nice brownstone apartments in the west 80s, which is still close by

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Lwoods wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Gotti wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Or places with the shower in the kitchen. And heating poles... ;)

I miss NY.
yeah i didn't wanna say anything...but this. i burn my butt all the time on those damn heating poles. and the bathroom in the kitchen is just terrible.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 pm

dingbat wrote:Although, for under $2k per month, there are really nice acceptable brownstone apartments in the west 80s, which is still close by
I live in a nice (many have described it as really nice, though I wouldn't go that far) brownstone in the west 80s. It was the "cheapest" apt we looked at, and we had a broker so we looked at MANY. That isn't a realistic price range for really nice in that area. Nice, very small, studios in the area are ~1700 (though most I see are more)

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 am

JenDarby wrote:
dingbat wrote:Although, for under $2k per month, there are really nice acceptable brownstone apartments in the west 80s, which is still close by
I live in a nice (many have described it as really nice, though I wouldn't go that far) brownstone in the west 80s. It was the "cheapest" apt we looked at, and we had a broker so we looked at MANY. That isn't a realistic price range for really nice in that area. Nice, very small, studios in the area are ~1700 (though most I see are more)
Your apt is SUPER nice!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 am

you guys post here now? nice of you to pay it forward.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 am

Stringer6 wrote:you guys post here now? nice of you to pay it forward.
Well, you know, it's that or write the leg reg paper that's due tomorrow.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 am

JenDarby wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:you guys post here now? nice of you to pay it forward.
Well, you know, it's that or write the leg reg paper that's due tomorrow.
wish there was a skull-and-crossbones emoticon

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 am

JenDarby wrote:
Really nice is a subjective term and I should not have used it.
For some that means a new building with a doorman and a balcony with a view. Those can easily cost over $3,000

NYC realtors don't share listings, so having a broker isn't enough - you need several brokers.
When I moved to the UWS I'd call a broker and tell exactly what I wanted and what my budget was.
The typical response was "well, we've only got 2 or 3 apartments that match that description", so I'd see all of them.
The next day I'd call another broker and see another 2 or 3.
In the end, I probably found about a dozen 1 bedrooms for under $1,900 (my budget at the time). While this was a good 5 years ago, rents have actually come down since then, thanks to the recession

it's too bad I no longer have my old landlady's number, she owned several brownstones on the UWS, including plenty at that price range.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 pm

dingbat wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Really nice is a subjective term and I should not have used it.
For some that means a new building with a doorman and a balcony with a view. Those can easily cost over $3,000

NYC realtors don't share listings, so having a broker isn't enough - you need several brokers.
When I moved to the UWS I'd call a broker and tell exactly what I wanted and what my budget was.
The typical response was "well, we've only got 2 or 3 apartments that match that description", so I'd see all of them.
The next day I'd call another broker and see another 2 or 3.
In the end, I probably found about a dozen 1 bedrooms for under $1,900 (my budget at the time). While this was a good 5 years ago, rents have actually come down since then, thanks to the recession

it's too bad I no longer have my old landlady's number, she owned several brownstones on the UWS, including plenty at that price range.
Yeah... all that sounds fantastic and all but I think I would rather live with my parents in Northern NJ and commute... Having my own room, being comfortable with a standard of living I'm accustomed to, not having to pay for rent or groceries or cable/internet or laundry, and having a built-in cleaning lady/chef (mom...jk I'll help...a little...if im not studying) sounds way worth the 40min-1hr commute... besides I get to have my dog, and a hot tub for when im burnt out and stressed. I'll miss being able to walk 15 mins to class and 5-10 mins to the bar but UG has to end eventually =[.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:41 pm

The commute won't be a problem AT ALL. Just make sure you make friends quickly so you have places to stay after all the late bar nights when you don't want to commute that far!

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:43 pm

JenDarby wrote:The commute won't be a problem AT ALL. Just make sure you make friends quickly so you have places to stay after all the late bar nights when you don't want to commute that far!
Yeah... I have a couple friends who already live in the city or Hoboken and I have no prob crashing on a couch lol. Otherwise... late night train here I come =] I'm sure my parents wouldnt mind picking me up once in a while...esp later at night because theres no traffic which means 20-25 mins instead of a hour.

Jambalaya

New

Post by Jambalaya » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 pm

It looks like no one has posted in this thread in months, so I'll start things up again.
Does anyone have any insights about Thomas H. Lee? He's a Fordham professor, and he'll be a visiting professor at my law school this fall, and I'm taking a class with him.
If you know anything about him, please let me know. It's probably better to PM me because this won't be of interest to any incoming Fordham students because he'll be away from Fordham this semester.
Thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Any way we can revive this?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:11 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Any way we can revive this?
What's your question?

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:27 pm

bretby wrote:
What's your question?
They say top 22% get 500+ firms. Is it just this or did these people also join journals/clinics/relevant experience?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:53 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
bretby wrote:
What's your question?
They say top 22% get 500+ firms. Is it just this or did these people also join journals/clinics/relevant experience?
That seems like a really random stat, but there is this: http://www.vault.com/blog/vaults-law-bl ... er_ID=7778

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”