Fordham 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Fordham emailed me back in response to my merit aid inquiry and I'm getting none. This makes my decisions really tough. Don't wanna go so far into debt... :(
ugh. I wish they had more money to give (I think they wish that, too!). :?

PotatoMonkey

New

Post by PotatoMonkey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:28 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Plus, there's a gym, right?

If you don't live on campus, will a gym still be available for use by Fordham law students somewhere?
There's a fitness center. Treadmills, ellipticals, some nautilus machines. Just got a bunch of new equipment, so that's nice. Can also use the gym up at the other campus, as well as sign up for memberships at any of the gyms in the area.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:49 am

Stringer, I doubt $1600 will even buy you a studio within 1/2 an hour of school
i lived in a jr 1br on 66th street for less. and half hour is a long way. i do agree that it's expensive everywhere in manhattan (obviously).

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 am

Stringer6 wrote:
i lived in a jr 1br on 66th street for less. and half hour is a long way. i do agree that it's expensive everywhere in manhattan (obviously).
NOT snarking Stringer, but how long ago? Rentals in the 60s/70s have gone nuts, the last 5 years. Yes, you could probably find a studio for less over on 10th or 11th in the low 50s/upper 40s, but it's tough. Not saying McMahon is cheap (especially with roommates - personally, if I was going to have roomies I'd rather pay a little more and find a large 1BR/loft or small 2BR to share), but it's a good base - especially for people unfamiliar w/NYC. It's close, safe and easy - and people can get their feet under them while they start to look at options in other nabes/boroughs. (If people in this thread would like, I can start asking some of my classmates where they live and what they are paying: maybe it would give a better idea of the options?)

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:16 am

nygrrrl wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
NOT snarking Stringer, but how long ago? Rentals in the 60s/70s have gone nuts, the last 5 years. Yes, you could probably find a studio for less over on 10th or 11th in the low 50s/upper 40s, but it's tough. Not saying McMahon is cheap (especially with roommates - personally, if I was going to have roomies I'd rather pay a little more and find a large 1BR/loft or small 2BR to share), but it's a good base - especially for people unfamiliar w/NYC. It's close, safe and easy - and people can get their feet under them while they start to look at options in other nabes/boroughs. (If people in this thread would like, I can start asking some of my classmates where they live and what they are paying: maybe it would give a better idea of the options?)
I live on 90th street in a studio and pay $1350 / mo. Includes heat / hot water. I pay about $40 a month for electricity and about $100 for cable / internet. it's close to the 1/2/3 and the M5 so on most days I can get to school in 15-20 min. When it's nice out, it's a nice easy walk down Broadway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
I live on 90th street in a studio and pay $1350 / mo. Includes heat / hot water. I pay about $40 a month for electricity and about $100 for cable / internet. it's close to the 1/2/3 and the M5 so on most days I can get to school in 15-20 min. When it's nice out, it's a nice easy walk down Broadway.
Like SUPERMAN, this guy is. :mrgreen: Thank you, H.E.P.!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:24 am

NOT snarking Stringer, but how long ago? Rentals in the 60s/70s have gone nuts, the last 5 years.
2006-2007

1600 for one room is insane, but i guess there is value to living right next to the school.

you could get a roommate and live in harlem/morningside heights for half(ish) the price and be one express stop away.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:34 am

Stringer6 wrote:
NOT snarking Stringer, but how long ago? Rentals in the 60s/70s have gone nuts, the last 5 years.
2006-2007

1600 for one room is insane, but i guess there is value to living right next to the school.

you could get a roommate and live in harlem/morningside heights for half(ish) the price and be one express stop away.
I completely agree - but remember, a lot of people coming to Fordham have never even been to NYC before, muchless assayed finding an apartment here, kwim?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:40 am

a lot of people coming to Fordham have never even been to NYC before, muchless assayed finding an apartment here, kwim?
yup, part of the reason why they can charge 1600.

i was forced out of manhattan in 2007 and don't intend to come back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:02 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
a lot of people coming to Fordham have never even been to NYC before, muchless assayed finding an apartment here, kwim?

:( I own the place I'm in now buit COL is killing me; I've lived here most of my life but may be forced out, soon.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:09 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

:( I own the place I'm in now buit COL is killing me; I've lived here most of my life but may be forced out, soon.
I do like the city, but I don't plan on staying any longer than I have to. Westchester / Fairfield counties FTW!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:05 pm

It's definitely cheaper in morningside heights/Harlem but it's not pretty there nor safe at night. I work on the upper west side. But a place on 90th or somewhere around there sounds like a good compromise. 15-20 min of travel isn't 1.5hrs of travel lol, which is how long it takes me to get to Fordham from where I currently live.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:18 pm

It's definitely cheaper in morningside heights/Harlem but it's not pretty there nor safe at night.
i think morningside heights is pretty and safe.

harlem not as pretty, but i think it's relatively safe. i never had problems there.

everyone has different perceptions of what is safe in the city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:It's definitely cheaper in morningside heights/Harlem but it's not pretty there nor safe at night. I work on the upper west side. But a place on 90th or somewhere around there sounds like a good compromise. 15-20 min of travel isn't 1.5hrs of travel lol, which is how long it takes me to get to Fordham from where I currently live.
I lived in Spanish Harlem for a year before I got married. It's not uber convenient to Fordham, but it was inexpensive ($1700/month for a 2 bdrm, though the 2nd bedroom was 7'x9') and pretty safe. It was 105th btwn Madison & 5th, so it was 5 minutes to the 6 at 103rd & Lex and 10 minutes to the 2/3 at 110th St/Central Park North. It was by the projects, but NYC has a "one strike you're out" rule for housing, so it seemed to be mostly families just trying to get buy. Manhattan's safer than just about any other big city in the US; you just have to be smart/aware.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:It's definitely cheaper in morningside heights/Harlem but it's not pretty there nor safe at night. I work on the upper west side. But a place on 90th or somewhere around there sounds like a good compromise. 15-20 min of travel isn't 1.5hrs of travel lol, which is how long it takes me to get to Fordham from where I currently live.
It's nice to be close enough to walk, but still far enough that you feel like you can get away from school when you need to. As long as you're close to the 1/2/3 or the A/C (or whatever it is that stops at Columbus Circle), you can get to school with relative ease. Plus there are a lot of bars on Amsterdam in the 70s and 80s.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm

I work on 120th street, the very edge between Harlem and morningside. I would say that morningside isn't too bad but Harlem, at least by where I work is pretty ugly.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Hey all, thank you for this! I'm a Californian, and I while i know going to school in nyc isnt the best idea for making my way back west, i was wondering if any of you could speak to fordham's placement in los angeles. In one of the pamphlets they sent out to admitted students they mentioned their strong ties to LA. do any of you have an opinion about the reality of this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Fordham emailed me back in response to my merit aid inquiry and I'm getting none. This makes my decisions really tough. Don't wanna go so far into debt... :(
Same. So disappointing! I'd go with a smile if I had a decent scholarship.

Does anyone know how generous they are with Need Based Aid? I'm expecting my expected contribution to be pretty low. I think the acceptance packet said $20,000/yr is the limit for need based?

Does anyone know if they negotiate scholarships if you get better offers from similar schools?

I really want to be in NYC, but the money has to be right at Fordham considering COL and tuition.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm

IsleMet wrote:

Does anyone know how generous they are with Need Based Aid? I'm expecting my expected contribution to be pretty low. I think the acceptance packet said $20,000/yr is the limit for need based?

Does anyone know if they negotiate scholarships if you get better offers from similar schools?

I really want to be in NYC, but the money has to be right at Fordham considering COL and tuition.
What exactly is need based aid? Is it different than a loan? And a grant?
I dont expect much contribution either.

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
IsleMet wrote:

What exactly is need based aid? Is it different than a loan? And a grant?
I dont expect much contribution either.

I'm referring to the need based grants. Here's the link...
http://law.fordham.edu/financial-aid/16510.htm

I hope I end up with the 20k. That would make going to Fordham far more feasible. The idea of being in debt $216k is not very appealing lol (72k x 3 years)

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: McMahon. I lived there this past semester, so here's what I can tell you:

You live in a suite with 2 other law students. Everyone has their own room with bed, dresser, closet, and desk. Everyone shares a common space, kitchen, and bathroom. The feel of the building is like any other college dorm you've ever been in - somewhat poorly lit, slightly dirty, and unadorned. You have everything you need, and that's it.

Yes, there is a gym. This gym is not the best gym you will ever use. It contains a limited number of free weights and old machines. It's not terrible, though, unless you're trying to do really heavy lifting.

The guest policy is the worst aspect of the dorm. If you want to have an overnight guest, you must register them 24 hours in advance. If that guest is planning to stay for more than 2 nights, you must register them a week in advance AND get your roommates to sign off on the visit. Overnight means staying in the dorm past 3 a.m. So, if you bring someone back to the dorm unannounced, they can stay until 3 a.m. If they leave after 3 a.m., you get fined. How do they know your guest left after 3 a.m.? Because they have to sign in and out. And trust me, they make you sign your guests in and out.

You have to attend a couple floor meetings throughout the semester, though these are quick and painless.

Overall, though, the building is quiet, super close to the law school (you don't even have to go outside to get to school!), and located in the greatest neighborhood in New York City. It is expensive ($7500 per semester), but you're paying for the convenience. I really liked not having to take the subway, and being able to go for a second library session at 9 p.m. on certain nights.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks, Sqvirrel. I was so hoping you'd weigh in on that one...
:mrgreen:

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:17 pm

rockthelaw wrote: and being able to go for a second library session at 9 p.m. on certain nights.
*cough* gunner *cough*

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Lol well it looks like if I end up at Fordham, I'll be looking at apts close to Fordham but perhaps not McMann hall.

Regardless I'd like to know what size beds fit in the room? I feel really icky about sleeping on a strange mattress.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:46 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
rockthelaw wrote: and being able to go for a second library session at 9 p.m. on certain nights.
*cough* gunner *cough*
:lol: :lol: He is so going to pwn my butt, when grades come out. How I love the Sqvirrel.
(Also, he is Best Study Buddy evah! No slacking!)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”