WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
marrismarris

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by marrismarris » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:15 pm

Petrichor wrote:
rorobobo wrote:
marrismarris wrote:
rorobobo wrote:Any recommendations for apartments directly adjacent to metrolink stops?
You’d need to give way more info than just near the metro stops for us to give you advice. How many bedrooms/roommates? Budget? Pets? Near bars or more residential?

The easiest way to find housing is to come to St Louis and drive around a bit if possible. If that’s not possible, I would contact Village Green in STL (they run the embassy, chesterfield, and waterman-Clara) or City Wide Apartments, which manage a ton of apartment buildings, especially on Pershing Ave in the DeBaliviere neighborhood. There’s also a metro stop in the Central West End, but that neighborhood is more expensive.
Fair, looking for 0/1 BR w/o pets and sub-$1k budget. Prioritize walking distance to grocery.
CWE has studios for under 800 that allows pets, 10-15 min walk to metro stop, 3-4 mins walking to 2 different groceries.
Agreed about cwe, there’s a schnucks and Whole Foods there, but the rent on a 1bed is not sub $1k. You’re looking at ~$1250 probably. Don’t know about studios at all. Whole Foods is along the #1 bus route though, so anywhere on Pershing or waterman Blvd would also work.

Maybe look in U-City. If you go JUST ONLY 1 BLOCK north of the loop, you can find that and that’s right by United provisions, a smaller grocery. But do not go farther than a block or so.
Last tip is google earth and street view everything you’re looking at

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

marrismarris wrote:Maybe look in U-City. If you go JUST ONLY 1 BLOCK north of the loop, you can find that and that’s right by United provisions, a smaller grocery. But do not go farther than a block or so. Last tip is google earth and street view everything you’re looking at
The loop area is nice

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 am

marrismarris wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
rorobobo wrote:
marrismarris wrote:
rorobobo wrote:Any recommendations for apartments directly adjacent to metrolink stops?
You’d need to give way more info than just near the metro stops for us to give you advice. How many bedrooms/roommates? Budget? Pets? Near bars or more residential?

The easiest way to find housing is to come to St Louis and drive around a bit if possible. If that’s not possible, I would contact Village Green in STL (they run the embassy, chesterfield, and waterman-Clara) or City Wide Apartments, which manage a ton of apartment buildings, especially on Pershing Ave in the DeBaliviere neighborhood. There’s also a metro stop in the Central West End, but that neighborhood is more expensive.
Fair, looking for 0/1 BR w/o pets and sub-$1k budget. Prioritize walking distance to grocery.
CWE has studios for under 800 that allows pets, 10-15 min walk to metro stop, 3-4 mins walking to 2 different groceries.
Agreed about cwe, there’s a schnucks and Whole Foods there, but the rent on a 1bed is not sub $1k. You’re looking at ~$1250 probably. Don’t know about studios at all. Whole Foods is along the #1 bus route though, so anywhere on Pershing or waterman Blvd would also work.

Maybe look in U-City. If you go JUST ONLY 1 BLOCK north of the loop, you can find that and that’s right by United provisions, a smaller grocery. But do not go farther than a block or so.
Last tip is google earth and street view everything you’re looking at
delco, fairmount, hawthorne all have 1 bdrm under 1k.

marrismarris

New

Post by marrismarris » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Petrichor wrote:
delco, fairmount, hawthorne all have 1 bdrm under 1k.
OP: confirmed.

(those are apartment building names in CWE)

par283

New

Post by par283 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Anyone have any advice for things to do in St. Louis?

I'm flying in midday tomorrow and my visit is Monday morning and I'm not really sure what to do with myself tomorrow during the day. Also, if any current students or alums are around tomorrow night to grab a drink and offer a more realistic perspective on the law school, PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoanJ75

New

Post by JoanJ75 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi all!

I’m an STL local, Princeton undergrad, committed to WUSTL. My question is in regards to one of the lesser discussed topics pervading TLS: law school dating.

I am a 6’ 2” heterosexual male. I worked as an investment banker for several years in New York, so needless to say I got plenty of attention from the ladies of the Big Apple. I drive a very nice Mercedes C-class, wear Cartier sun glasses, Rolex watches, you name it. Without disclosing too much, my savings account is quite substantial ($456,678.37 as of 8 this morning). All of this sufficed to score me several dates a week.

What concerns me is that my monetary success will be insufficient to attract women in law school. We all know the way to a woman’s heart in law a school is a high GPA. With that being said, what percentile should I aim for to be able to score a date? This is Wash U, so we all know the wannabe’s in the top-third are hard pressed to even say “hello” to a girl. Is top 5% good enough? Top 10%? Top 1%?

Thanks again,

JJ

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:50 pm

par283 wrote:Anyone have any advice for things to do in St. Louis?

I'm flying in midday tomorrow and my visit is Monday morning and I'm not really sure what to do with myself tomorrow during the day. Also, if any current students or alums are around tomorrow night to grab a drink and offer a more realistic perspective on the law school, PM me!
It really depends on what you're interested in. The Art Museum has an exhibition this summer on Egypt's lost worlds. The science center is usually quite interesting. The St. Louis zoo is consistently ranked as one of the top zoos in the nation. City Museum is not at all what you would expect based on the name (very difficult to describe, so I would suggest googling it). If you just want to relax and hang out at bars, look at CWE or Soulard.

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Can any upperclassman confirm that ties still get CALIs? So if my friend got the max score possible, she is certain to get the award?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:02 pm

littlekidlover wrote:Can any upperclassman confirm that ties still get CALIs? So if my friend got the max score possible, she is certain to get the award?
Yes. I seem to recall a class that gave out something like 12 CALIs once.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lowenjo

New

Post by lowenjo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Looks like this thread has died. I still lurk on here a little bit, so figured I'd offer insight in case any current WUSTL students had questions.

Some background, graduated WUSTL in 2017. Moved back home and have bounced around a little: 2 years in Public Account doing tax consulting and now currently in a Amlaw 200 firm.

Ask away!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:29 am

I’m still knocking around, too. C/O 2014, so I’m a dinosaur.

lowenjo

New

Post by lowenjo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:05 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:I’m still knocking around, too. C/O 2014, so I’m a dinosaur.
Glad to see there are at least a few of us out there

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 am

lowenjo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 pm
Ask away!
Is the degree as national/super-regional as advertised? I've heard people say only t14 is truly national; don't know how true that actually is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:59 pm

laanngo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 am

Is the degree as national/super-regional as advertised? I've heard people say only t14 is truly national; don't know how true that actually is.
WashU had 235 graduates in 2019. 59 stayed in Missouri (25%). 29 went to New York (12%). 28 went to Chicago (12%). I'm assuming some also landed in California and DC. I wouldn't quite call that national, as the school places no more than 12% in any of the major markets, but it's also not quite super-regional.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am

Sackboy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:59 pm
WashU had 235 graduates in 2019. 59 stayed in Missouri (25%). 29 went to New York (12%). 28 went to Chicago (12%). I'm assuming some also landed in California and DC. I wouldn't quite call that national, as the school places no more than 12% in any of the major markets, but it's also not quite super-regional.
By super-regional, do you mean particularly regional, or corresponding to a super-region?
Also, how many landed big law (or any non-solo gig) in metro east?

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm

I'm happy to take questions as well. Just graduated last spring (Class of 2020). Have a biglaw job in Texas lined up.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 pm

laanngo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 am
lowenjo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 pm
Ask away!
I can only speak to biglaw placement. I wouldn't say the school is truly national, but if you have great grades, you should be able to land most markets, assuming you have the requisite ties (the amount of ties you need depends on the market, obviously). If you have okay but not great grades (like top 40% or so), you may be limited to like, NYC biglaw. In that sense, yeah, the school doesn't have the necessary national reach to make you competitive for markets like Chicago or LA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:27 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 pm
I can only speak to biglaw placement. I wouldn't say the school is truly national, but if you have great grades, you should be able to land most markets, assuming you have the requisite ties (the amount of ties you need depends on the market, obviously). If you have okay but not great grades (like top 40% or so), you may be limited to like, NYC biglaw. In that sense, yeah, the school doesn't have the necessary national reach to make you competitive for markets like Chicago or LA.
I thought WUSTL placed pretty well in Chicago. Has that not been true in recent years? How are job outcomes for the bottom half of the class?

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 pm

laanngo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:27 pm
blair.waldorf wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 pm
I thought WUSTL placed pretty well in Chicago. Has that not been true in recent years? How are job outcomes for the bottom half of the class?
I mean, I think it does an okay job placing in Chicago, but you have to remember that you’re competing with UChicago/NU/Mich/ND/U of I + the rest of the T14. I know people who were slightly above median who landed Chicago, but I wouldn’t count on it if your grades aren’t a bit higher than that.

I know a few people who were below median who landed NYC biglaw. Some of them were diverse, some weren’t. There were also several people in my class who landed jobs at various mid-sized firms, but I don’t know if they chose those jobs or if that was all they could find. I also know a few people are still looking (or at least were in the spring).

It’s hard to really tell because I only know the grades of a couple close friends, younger students I mentored, and the rare person who advertised their grades in class. At graduation, Order of the Coif was announced, so I found out who was top 10% at graduation, but I mostly have no idea where the rest of my class stood.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:49 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 pm
I mean, I think it does an okay job placing in Chicago, but you have to remember that you’re competing with UChicago/NU/Mich/ND/U of I + the rest of the T14. I know people who were slightly above median who landed Chicago, but I wouldn’t count on it if your grades aren’t a bit higher than that.
Isn't WUSTL seen more favorably or at least ranked higher than all but 3 of the schools among UChicago/NU/Mich/ND/U of I? I am not sure if it gives you good odds of Chicago biglaw, but IL is one of the top 3 destination states for WUSTL Law right?
blair.waldorf wrote:
I know a few people who were below median who landed NYC biglaw. Some of them were diverse, some weren’t. There were also several people in my class who landed jobs at various mid-sized firms, but I don’t know if they chose those jobs or if that was all they could find. I also know a few people are still looking (or at least were in the spring).
What do you mean by diverse? AA/MA/PR? What about Transgender, disabled, international, or work experience?

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:18 pm

laanngo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:49 pm
blair.waldorf wrote:
Isn't WUSTL seen more favorably or at least ranked higher than all but 3 of the schools among UChicago/NU/Mich/ND/U of I? I am not sure if it gives you good odds of Chicago biglaw, but IL is one of the top 3 destination states for WUSTL Law right?
blair.waldorf wrote:
What do you mean by diverse? AA/MA/PR? What about Transgender, disabled, international, or work experience?
To your first question: I'm not sure. I was just naming schools with a decent number of students who want to work in Chicago. I did not apply to Chicago firms and don't know how Chicago firms view each school. According to LST, 12%ish of Wash U's class of 2019 worked in Illinois post-graduation.

I don't want to identify anyone, but I would say "diversity" as defined by law firms, from my experience, is much broader than the URM category for law school admissions is. I know non-AA/MA/PR minority students, LGBTQ students, and international students who have landed diversity positions with biglaw firms.

I don't think work experience really matters for diversity purposes, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The only work experience that I know can give you a boost for biglaw is engineering experience if you want to do IP/patent law. Other interesting work experience could certainly give you a tiny boost once you're at the callback stage, but it won't get you the job on its own if you don't have the grades/decent interview skills/etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:59 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm
I'm happy to take questions as well. Just graduated last spring (Class of 2020). Have a biglaw job in Texas lined up.
How difficult is it to land a gig in Texas? Home ties required? What about for the big big cities of DFW/HTX, and the magnet city of ATX?
What class ranking do you need for an endorsement for a federal clerkship?

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm

laanngo wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:59 pm
blair.waldorf wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm
How difficult is it to land a gig in Texas? Home ties required? What about for the big big cities of DFW/HTX, and the magnet city of ATX?
What class ranking do you need for an endorsement for a federal clerkship?
Houston seems fairly easy with top third or so grades. Dallas is a bit harder to get because it is more insular and there are fewer spots, but I know multiple people going to Dallas firms who aren’t like top 10% or whatever. Houston is the least ties sensitive of the three cities, and it seems like ties are becoming less of a requirement in Houston, especially at the big NYC firms like Kirkland. Austin is really competitive. There are just not that many spots. My firm doesn’t even have a regular SA program at their Austin office. If you’re dead set on Austin, UT is a far better option than Wash U.

Honestly, Texas can be a bit tough to land just because most Texas firms don’t come to our OCI. You have to aggressively mass mail and hope your resume is pulled from the pile.

I am not sure re: clerkships. I had zero interest in clerking and never explored it at all.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm
Houston seems fairly easy with top third or so grades. Dallas is a bit harder to get because it is more insular and there are fewer spots, but I know multiple people going to Dallas firms who aren’t like top 10% or whatever. Houston is the least ties sensitive of the three cities, and it seems like ties are becoming less of a requirement in Houston, especially at the big NYC firms like Kirkland. Austin is really competitive. There are just not that many spots. My firm doesn’t even have a regular SA program at their Austin office. If you’re dead set on Austin, UT is a far better option than Wash U.

Honestly, Texas can be a bit tough to land just because most Texas firms don’t come to our OCI. You have to aggressively mass mail and hope your resume is pulled from the pile.
Is the ties-insensitivity of Houston because of it being a large boomtown compared to the small boomtown of ATX or Dallas proper being more built-up?
Of course UT is a better choice for TX market, but UT has that in-state requirement, and WUSTL is pretty generous with scholarships.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:53 pm

laanngo wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 pm
blair.waldorf wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Is the ties-insensitivity of Houston because of it being a large boomtown compared to the small boomtown of ATX or Dallas proper being more built-up?
Of course UT is a better choice for TX market, but UT has that in-state requirement, and WUSTL is pretty generous with scholarships.
I don't know re: ties insensitivity in Houston. Austin is ties sensitive in part because there are just not that many SA spots and a lot of students want to work in Austin.

I didn't say UT is a better choice for TX (although it obviously is). I said if you're dead set on Austin, it's the *far* better choice. Like, I don't know a single person from Wash U who works in Austin biglaw (and I have looked extensively). I'm sure there is someone, but it's not a market Wash U really serves. Honestly, if you really want to work in Austin, you're probably better off gunning for the Houston or Dallas office of a firm that has an Austin office and transferring internally after a year or two.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”