WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
acr

Silver

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by acr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:
I'd remove the quote of the troll post. It'd be nice to keep this thread reasonably clean and helpful for 0Ls/1Ls.
nah, I think I'll leave it. But thanks for the suggestion.

whatwhatinthebutt

New

Post by whatwhatinthebutt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:51 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:
I'd remove the quote of the troll post. It'd be nice to keep this thread reasonably clean and helpful for 0Ls/1Ls.
[edited for outing and banned]

PinkiePieOrDie

New

Post by PinkiePieOrDie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 am

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am

Not sure what that guy had against me but lol ok.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 am

lol that escalated quickly

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Any advice on finding more information on the professors I got? Rate my professor isn't all that helpful.

I got Greenfield, Sachs, and Tamanaha if anyone wants to share their personal experience.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:Any advice on finding more information on the professors I got? Rate my professor isn't all that helpful.

I got Greenfield, Sachs, and Tamanaha if anyone wants to share their personal experience.
I didn't have any of these three, but Greenfield and Tamanaha in particular are WUSTL legends, though with wildly different personalities.

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:08 am

Reid-Bailey wrote:Any advice on finding more information on the professors I got? Rate my professor isn't all that helpful.

Sachs and Tamanaha are amazing! They are very good at teaching and would tell you exactly what they want. Sachs is more policy-oriented and there were a lot of econ theories. Tamanaha is pure issue spotter and the cold call can be very intimidating, so get prepared!

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 am

sirenade wrote:

Sachs and Tamanaha are amazing! They are very good at teaching and would tell you exactly what they want. Sachs is more policy-oriented and there were a lot of econ theories. Tamanaha is pure issue spotter and the cold call can be very intimidating, so get prepared!
Tamanaha tells you exactly what you need to know for the exam, and while he insists it isn't a typing race, typing fast definitely helps. Sachs is a rising star.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vasgo_pajamas

New

Post by vasgo_pajamas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 am

How about Hollander-Blumoff?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 pm

vasgo_pajamas wrote:How about Hollander-Blumoff?
She's amazing. I thought Civ Pro would be the most boring thing ever, but she managed to make me think it was super interesting. Her exams are very straightforward and by-the-book. That means that typing speed is a significant factor, though.

Also second everything everyone has said about Greenfield and Tamanaha. They're amazing. Didn't have Sachs.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Opinions on Baker?

Best supplements for Baker's Contracts, Sachs' Property, and Tamanaha's Torts classes?

Lxw

New

Post by Lxw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:For the 0Ls, I'll share the class/prof combos I had and whether supplements are helpful:

Greenfield/Contracts - Supplements are unhelpful. In fact, I think they may be counter productive. Greenfield is very particular.
FWIW when I had Greenfield, I used the Farnsworth treatise on Contracts and that was the best grade I got that semester (and I made Dean's list that semester).
LaPierre/Con Law - Chemerinsky is helpful only to the extent it provides big-picture overview of the doctrines. LaPierre spends half the semester on Commerce Clause and gets into super nitty gritty detail. The supplement won't provide the coverage you need, but does a good job of putting everything in perspective.
From what I remember (I don't know if LaPierre still does this but he probably does) there is a very specific test he wants to see you apply to constitutional law issues. Pay attention during lectures. Chemerinsky isn't necessary (but very helpful to chart through all the cases in Chemerinsky to prepare for the final).

Chemerinsky is pretty useful when you're studying for the bar later so I'd just get it anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:43 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Opinions on Baker?

Best supplements for Baker's Contracts, Sachs' Property, and Tamanaha's Torts classes?
You don't need to buy, and probably shouldn't buy, any supplement for Tamanaha.

For Sachs, buy the Emanuel book that is keyed to the Dukeminier book. It's on Amazon.

PinkiePieOrDie

New

Post by PinkiePieOrDie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:04 am

Just got my offer from Wachtell. Thanks for nothing. This thread is literally the epitome of why people hate lawyers and law students. Keep humble bragging amongst yourselves in a pathetic attempt to salvage what's left of your low self esteem.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:23 am

PinkiePieOrDie wrote:Just got my offer from Wachtell. Thanks for nothing. This thread is literally the epitome of why people hate lawyers and law students. Keep humble bragging amongst yourselves in a pathetic attempt to salvage what's left of your low self esteem.
Weird schtick &b....

Supersplitteriknow

New

Post by Supersplitteriknow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 pm

For those of you who went to WUSTL with $$$$ over T14 schools with sticker (super splitters like me), do you regret your choice? How hard is it to leave St Louis and move to NYC/DC PI?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Supersplitteriknow wrote:For those of you who went to WUSTL with $$$$ over T14 schools with sticker (super splitters like me), do you regret your choice? How hard is it to leave St Louis and move to NYC/DC PI?
Fucking kill it dude thats the only way I am aware of.

Others welcomed and encouraged to chime in

edit - I don't know one single person from wash u that had a scholarship, didn't do well, and regretted going there

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:50 am

Supersplitteriknow wrote:For those of you who went to WUSTL with $$$$ over T14 schools with sticker (super splitters like me), do you regret your choice? How hard is it to leave St Louis and move to NYC/DC PI?
Wash U students regularly do NYC/DC PI (and non-PI) work, but it's not guaranteed. You'll need some sort of narrative/explanation for why you chose to go to law school in the midwest but want to work in NYC/DC and you'll need the grades obviously. It's easier if you're originally from the east coast.

Plenty of Wash U students chose WUSTL scholarships over T14 with sticker (and even with scholarships) and many don't regret it, but it would be foolish to call it a guarantee.

Supersplitteriknow

New

Post by Supersplitteriknow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:17 pm

RareExports wrote:
Wash U students regularly do NYC/DC PI (and non-PI) work, but it's not guaranteed. You'll need some sort of narrative/explanation for why you chose to go to law school in the midwest but want to work in NYC/DC and you'll need the grades obviously. It's easier if you're originally from the east coast.

Plenty of Wash U students chose WUSTL scholarships over T14 with sticker (and even with scholarships) and many don't regret it, but it would be foolish to call it a guarantee.

What kind of grades? Top 10, 15, 30...?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Supersplitteriknow wrote:
RareExports wrote:

What kind of grades? Top 10, 15, 30...?
Depends what kind of job you want and what kinds of jobs are acceptable. I can't speak to PI, but I imagine there's some jobs that require tip-top grades and some that are grades-insensitive. For firm jobs, top third gives you a good shot, but personal fit/geographic ties will change that person-to-person, and top third is far from a guarantee.

Keep in mind, it's not like your dream job - or even a job you'll be happy with - is a guarantee from many T14 schools. Regardless of school choice, you're gambling some; you'll need to decide what kind of money is worth a downward adjustment in your odds.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Most recently, WUSTL's biglaw+fed clerk is 45% or something, and I can tell you anecdotally that lots of people with great grades self-select out of biglaw jobs (For DoJ/SLIP/in-house/career clerking).

I think WUSTL with $$$$ is definitely better than T14 at sticker, but the fact remains that, given the same grades, your prospects will be better at a higher ranked school. I don't think that bump is worth like 250k though.

typicalsplitter

New

Post by typicalsplitter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 pm

RareExports wrote:
Purely anecdotally, I'm not sure this is true. I don't remember being asked "Why NY?" at NY interviews. And I think there are compelling DC narratives that don't require anything remotely unique/personal (e.g. something super generic about being interested in public policy). I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts though.
RareExports wrote:
Supersplitteriknow wrote:Plenty of Wash U students chose WUSTL scholarships over T14 with sticker (and even with scholarships) and many don't regret it, but it would be foolish to call it a guarantee.
I don't think it makes sense to turn down money at WUSTL for sticker at T14 unless (1) you absolutely cannot see yourself practicing law in the Midwest or (2) you want to do an appellate clerkship/DOJ honors/something unicorn-ish.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Are government positions possible to get coming from WUSTL (like DOJ/SEC honors)? Or is the only practical route biglaw lit and then lateraling?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:00 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:Are government positions possible to get coming from WUSTL (like DOJ/SEC honors)? Or is the only practical route biglaw lit and then lateraling?
Some of them come to campus to intercview. I interviewed with the DOL, OCC, and NSA. People get that stuff, but not many people. So I wouldn’t necessarily come to WUSTL planning to get a bigFED gig. Or at least if that is your plan, have a couple backups.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”