WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LawSchoolBluesBand

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by LawSchoolBluesBand » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi, I hope you all are doing well. I am a student at Northwestern, where Professor Badawi is a visiting professor this semester. I am taking his Corporations class, and starting to outline. He is teaching from his own material, and I haven't been able to find any good study materials or commercial outlines. Could someone share an outline for Badawi - Corporations? Thank you in advance!!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 pm

What are research assistants (for professors) paid at Wash U?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

acr wrote:What are research assistants (for professors) paid at Wash U?
$8/hour is standard.

Quailed

New

Post by Quailed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Hey all!

Currently a 1L at a T50, top 15% of my class. I am a Missouri native and would like to end up practicing in MO long term. Naturally, I am considering transferring to WUSTL so I can set up a better network in STL and elsewhere in Missouri. My parents are able and willing to pay for my tuition, provided that I commute and live with them (saves on the living expenses). My only concerns are what the people are like at Wash U. Some have told me its got a very collegial atmosphere. However, other things I have heard give me cause for concern, and tbh, some of the stuff I have read on this forum makes me weary. I have really enjoyed my time at my current school, something I pride myself in because I know how emotionally harmful law school can be. I think a lot of this stems from the great people at my school. Some of the people I know at Wash U (a 1L, two 2L's, and a 3L) have given me mixed reviews. They tell me that for the most part the people are really nice, but that the current 3L class (according to the 3L herself) did a lot to damage the school's reputation, and that a lot of the students take themselves WAYYY to seriously. What concerns me the most is that the 3L said that its almost unbearable. If I transfer, will I have to worry about the other classes, or will most of the nonsense leave with the current 3L class?

Thanks! :D

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Quailed wrote:Hey all!

Currently a 1L at a T50, top 15% of my class. I am a Missouri native and would like to end up practicing in MO long term. Naturally, I am considering transferring to WUSTL so I can set up a better network in STL and elsewhere in Missouri. My parents are able and willing to pay for my tuition, provided that I commute and live with them (saves on the living expenses). My only concerns are what the people are like at Wash U. Some have told me its got a very collegial atmosphere. However, other things I have heard give me cause for concern, and tbh, some of the stuff I have read on this forum makes me weary. I have really enjoyed my time at my current school, something I pride myself in because I know how emotionally harmful law school can be. I think a lot of this stems from the great people at my school. Some of the people I know at Wash U (a 1L, two 2L's, and a 3L) have given me mixed reviews. They tell me that for the most part the people are really nice, but that the current 3L class (according to the 3L herself) did a lot to damage the school's reputation, and that a lot of the students take themselves WAYYY to seriously. What concerns me the most is that the 3L said that its almost unbearable. If I transfer, will I have to worry about the other classes, or will most of the nonsense leave with the current 3L class?

I'm a current 2L at WUSTL. I have also heard about 3L rumors, but honestly, if you look for drama or problems or something to complain about, you will find it - no matter where you are or what school you go to. I am on Law Review and am involved in a couple of things at WUSTL and haven't had any problems or issues whatsoever. The experience is what you make of it. I think it would be silly to forego attending WUSTL because of the things you have heard about.

Just as a side note, I suppose law school can be emotionally harmful to some, especially if one has taken out six figures in loans. But based on my experience (7 years of work experience prior to attending law school), how one copes with the stresses of law school is a good indicator of how one will cope at a professional workplace, which IMO is much tougher to navigate than law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quailed

New

Post by Quailed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
Quailed wrote:Hey all!

I'm a current 2L at WUSTL. I have also heard about 3L rumors, but honestly, if you look for drama or problems or something to complain about, you will find it - no matter where you are or what school you go to. I am on Law Review and am involved in a couple of things at WUSTL and haven't had any problems or issues whatsoever. The experience is what you make of it. I think it would be silly to forego attending WUSTL because of the things you have heard about.

Just as a side note, I suppose law school can be emotionally harmful to some, especially if one has taken out six figures in loans. But based on my experience (7 years of work experience prior to attending law school), how one copes with the stresses of law school is a good indicator of how one will cope at a professional workplace, which IMO is much tougher to navigate than law school.
Good advice. Never though of it that way...thanks a lot!

RobberBaron

New

Post by RobberBaron » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:24 pm

As a 3L, I don't think it's fair to blame one class for the school's culture. The class below us was the more gunnery tbh. Really, it depends on what circle of friends you're in. Every top law school is going to have some number of jerks. WUSTL is friendlier than most! :)

Quailed

New

Post by Quailed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 pm

RobberBaron wrote:As a 3L, I don't think it's fair to blame one class for the school's culture. The class below us was the more gunnery tbh. Really, it depends on what circle of friends you're in. Every top law school is going to have some number of jerks. WUSTL is friendlier than most! :)
Gunnery how?

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Quailed wrote:
RobberBaron wrote:As a 3L, I don't think it's fair to blame one class for the school's culture. The class below us was the more gunnery tbh. Really, it depends on what circle of friends you're in. Every top law school is going to have some number of jerks. WUSTL is friendlier than most! :)
Gunnery how?
I'm not answering for RobberBaron, but I'll just say that the only gunnery stuff I have witnessed is a few people in each class raising their hands a lot. That died down in 2L. Everyone I have asked has been willing to help out with notes. If someone is a jerk, there's a simple solution - don't talk to them again. There will be some jerks in every class at every law school - I'm honestly not sure who those people are in my class, but I'm sure they exist. Form a good group of friends, and don't worry about anyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RobberBaron

New

Post by RobberBaron » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Quailed wrote:
Gunnery how?
They don't have gunners at your school? They're just people who constantly try to one up their classmates, even in situations where it's totally unnecessary. Some of the 2Ls I've interacted with on LR are completely full of themselves. They don't want to listen to constructive criticism and they brag about petty shit like their summer jobs or how their LSAT percentiles are slightly higher than ours.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm

RobberBaron wrote:
Quailed wrote:
Gunnery how?
They don't have gunners at your school? They're just people who constantly try to one up their classmates, even in situations where it's totally unnecessary. Some of the 2Ls I've interacted with on LR are completely full of themselves. They don't want to listen to constructive criticism and they brag about petty shit like their summer jobs or how their LSAT percentiles are slightly higher than ours.
As a 2L on LR, I've never heard of anybody giving anyone else "constructive criticism" (unless in the form of pull/check feedback forms) or talk about WUSTL's changing LSAT percentiles.

You'll have gunners everywhere. WUSTL students who did not transfer can't speak with honesty about WUSTL culture vs other school cultures. I haven't felt like my classmates are constantly trying to one-up me. If there is someone who's an ass, just avoid him or her.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 am

Can I hear more about OCI? Just read in an old OCI thread that pretty much only the top 20% get the interviews they want...is that true?

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 am

Full ride + stipend at WUSTL vs:

~40k at Chi
~Full at UT Austin
~1/2 at Berk
~3/4 at Mich

What would you pick?

Tx would be a place I'd like to end up, but would also be happy in CA - really unsure about the midwest generally.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:08 am

gargleblaster wrote:Full ride + stipend at WUSTL vs:

~40k at Chi
~Full at UT Austin
~1/2 at Berk
~3/4 at Mich

What would you pick?

Tx would be a place I'd like to end up, but would also be happy in CA - really unsure about the midwest generally.
This would be a better post for the choosing forum, but I'd prolly take Chi for that, or maybe UT.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 am

Joscellin wrote:

~40k at Chi
~Full at UT Austin
~1/2 at Berk
~3/4 at Mich

What would you pick?

This would be a better post for the choosing forum, but I'd prolly take Chi for that, or maybe UT.
I figure its a good place for it since I'm getting the perspective of WUSTL recent grad (and others) more specifically here. The choosing threads are just full of people asking and endlessly debating:

"which T14 Full ride / HYS acceptance should i pick?"

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:49 am

Joscellin wrote:

~40k at Chi
~Full at UT Austin
~1/2 at Berk
~3/4 at Mich

What would you pick?

I think I'd agree. Chi or UT. Congrats on having such great options

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 am

~40k at Chi
~Full at UT Austin
~1/2 at Berk
~3/4 at Mich

What would you pick?

Definitely UT or Michigan, but I'd lean towards UT unless you have significant ties to TX already. Chicago is just too much debt for me to consider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 pm

somedeadman wrote:Can I hear more about OCI? Just read in an old OCI thread that pretty much only the top 20% get the interviews they want...is that true?
We do a preselect OCI system so the firms choose you. Those in the top 20% will get almost any interview they want (with some exceptions) at the off campus and on campus programs. With this said, many self-select into specific cities and regions which makes things more complicated. Let me know what else you want to know.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm

MtheG wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Can I hear more about OCI? Just read in an old OCI thread that pretty much only the top 20% get the interviews they want...is that true?
We do a preselect OCI system so the firms choose you. Those in the top 20% will get almost any interview they want (with some exceptions) at the off campus and on campus programs. With this said, many self-select into specific cities and regions which makes things more complicated. Let me know what else you want to know.
Yeah, the actual OCI is pretty bare bones with regards to biglaw. All of the stl biglaw firms visit WUSTL for OCI, but IIRC, I can count on both hands the number of non-stl biglaw firms that came.

WUSTL has off-campus interview programs which you should definitely go to. It's basically an "OCI" but in the city of the program. For example, the NYC Interview Program involves you flying to NYC and interviewing with all the firms that select you over the course of two days in a hotel. Definitely do these.

If you do bid on all of the off-campus interview programs and OCI firms (I remember we had NYC, DC, Chi, LA, Bay Area, and Texas), you should get a handful of interviews while outside the top 25%. You can also mass mail to firms and get some interviews that way. Lastly, you can network and ask associates to forward your resume to recruiting; some people have gotten interviews that way.

After you get the interview, the rest is up to how you perform in that interview.

This is actually the primary contributor to why WUSTL doesn't have the biglaw numbers of Vandy/UT/UCLA. We don't have as many firms who fly interviewers out to us, and we also don't have as many law students willing to shell out $$$ to fly to another city to interview. I know plenty of people who had decent-but-not-top grades not attend any off-campus programs and/or bid selectively at OCI and not get biglaw. Pretty sure if they cast a wider net and ate some up-front travel costs, they might have a biglaw job right now.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm

~40k at Chi
~Full at UT Austin
~1/2 at Berk
~3/4 at Mich

What would you pick?

You can fairly easily eliminate WUSTL with these options.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
MtheG wrote:
Yeah, the actual OCI is pretty bare bones with regards to biglaw. All of the stl biglaw firms visit WUSTL for OCI, but IIRC, I can count on both hands the number of non-stl biglaw firms that came.

WUSTL has off-campus interview programs which you should definitely go to. It's basically an "OCI" but in the city of the program. For example, the NYC Interview Program involves you flying to NYC and interviewing with all the firms that select you over the course of two days in a hotel. Definitely do these.

If you do bid on all of the off-campus interview programs and OCI firms (I remember we had NYC, DC, Chi, LA, Bay Area, and Texas), you should get a handful of interviews while outside the top 25%. You can also mass mail to firms and get some interviews that way. Lastly, you can network and ask associates to forward your resume to recruiting; some people have gotten interviews that way.

After you get the interview, the rest is up to how you perform in that interview.

This is actually the primary contributor to why WUSTL doesn't have the biglaw numbers of Vandy/UT/UCLA. We don't have as many firms who fly interviewers out to us, and we also don't have as many law students willing to shell out $$$ to fly to another city to interview. I know plenty of people who had decent-but-not-top grades not attend any off-campus programs and/or bid selectively at OCI and not get biglaw. Pretty sure if they cast a wider net and ate some up-front travel costs, they might have a biglaw job right now.
Wow, that makes me feel way better! I live for the hustle, and I am extremely used to mass mailing my resume and following up with my applications

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jhc14

New

Post by jhc14 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Does anyone know the WashULaw policy on making a the april seat deposit without withdrawing from all other schools? I am seriously planning on attending WashU this fall, however I was preferred waitlisted at two really good other schools and want to ride their waitlists at least for another month to just know what happens.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:22 pm

jhc14 wrote:Does anyone know the WashULaw policy on making a the april seat deposit without withdrawing from all other schools? I am seriously planning on attending WashU this fall, however I was preferred waitlisted at two really good other schools and want to ride their waitlists at least for another month to just know what happens.
I put down April seat deposits at multiple schools and continued negotiating scholarships between them after having done so. It didn't affect me negatively and actually resulted in a significant scholarship increase. I don't think Wash U actually cares one way or the other

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 pm

So like, how does one study for LRM?

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:44 pm

WUST1L wrote:So like, how does one study for LRM?
Memorize the study guide stuff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”