WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Most people eventually cave and get a car if they're not within walking distance. There's a metro stop that puts you real close to the law school, but trains run infrequently so it's not like a typical subway where you can just go. I used an app that told me when trains were arriving.

12 min at rush hours and 20 at offhours. I will say though that they are pretty much always on time, which is more than I can say about NYC.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

I have a few questions about taking non-law classes as part of credit toward JD requirements.

Are all university classes, even at the undergraduate level, available for law credit?
How do the grades translate to the law school?
When do you register for non-law classes?

acr

Postby acr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Has anyone done the CELect entrepreneur consulting? How much work is it? Is it at all cool or worth it?

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm

acr wrote:Has anyone done the CELect entrepreneur consulting? How much work is it? Is it at all cool or worth it?

I did it and it wasn't really all that much work. How cool it is depends on what project you get, the company you get to work with, what team members work with you, and a bunch of other factors. I did it spring of 3L and it was nice for the simple reason of not needing to spend any time in class.

The guy who runs it is way too high on himself though

monkeyboy123

Postby monkeyboy123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

chingwoo wrote:
monkeyboy123 wrote:Hey guys, this is a bit off-topic from what was being discussed here . . . but has anyone taken Bankruptcy with Professor Keating? I can't find a single outline in the Outline Bank and I don't know any upperclassmen who have taken the course. Can anyone give me some tips/advice or even possibly an outline? I would really appreciate the help.

90% sure that Keating wrote Schermer's exam.

Second of all, it is super code based, I think a standard bankruptcy outline would most likely work. If its still multiple choice, there is a 300 question multiple choice book out for purchase.

Could you tell me the book's title? Keating has told us that it will be MC.

acr

Postby acr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
acr wrote:Has anyone done the CELect entrepreneur consulting? How much work is it? Is it at all cool or worth it?

I did it and it wasn't really all that much work. How cool it is depends on what project you get, the company you get to work with, what team members work with you, and a bunch of other factors. I did it spring of 3L and it was nice for the simple reason of not needing to spend any time in class.

The guy who runs it is way too high on himself though

Thanks. This is what I was hoping for.

Also, has anyone taken De Geest's comparative law?

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:08 pm

acr wrote:Also, has anyone taken De Geest's comparative law?

I haven't, but I would be surprised if it were any different, in substance or form, from his other classes.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Does anyone know what the grade release system is this semester? Are there set release dates (like last semester)? If so, when are those dates?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 pm

No idea about grade release, but opinions on Waters vs Collins? I want to take both their classes but only need 1 more to graduate so am looking to cut one.

lillelord

Postby lillelord » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 am

Recently accepted, given scholars of law scholarship, depending on my acceptance to Vandy/Texas i'll try to boost that from the 40k annual to 50k, which with a 800/month apt (presumably very doable in St L) should come out to be about 60k debt.

MY question is-
can any grads/current students account for factors that contribute to the >20% increase in legal employment/big firm employment from 2011-2016? The LST page for WashU has the charts available here- https://www.lstreports.com/schools/washu/ which show a marked increase in outcomes, far more than sister competitor schools like ND, Vandy, Texas, Emory, etc, which means that it is not necessarily indicative simply of the nationwide end-of-recession employment increases. Is this due to admissions selectivity? increases in OCI and Career Service Quality? and in honesty, do you see this trend continuing/plateauing or crashing back down to 55-65% numbers?

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 am

lillelord wrote:Recently accepted, given scholars of law scholarship, depending on my acceptance to Vandy/Texas i'll try to boost that from the 40k annual to 50k, which with a 800/month apt (presumably very doable in St L) should come out to be about 60k debt.

MY question is-
can any grads/current students account for factors that contribute to the >20% increase in legal employment/big firm employment from 2011-2016? The LST page for WashU has the charts available here- https://www.lstreports.com/schools/washu/ which show a marked increase in outcomes, far more than sister competitor schools like ND, Vandy, Texas, Emory, etc, which means that it is not necessarily indicative simply of the nationwide end-of-recession employment increases. Is this due to admissions selectivity? increases in OCI and Career Service Quality? and in honesty, do you see this trend continuing/plateauing or crashing back down to 55-65% numbers?

Increase in selectivity, decreased class sizes, and improved career services contribute, as well as the improved job market, as you mentioned. Also, Wash U's national reputation (particularly in New York) is improving from what I've heard. I don't imagine these numbers will drop for any reason other than a potential economic downturn or change in macro-level legal hiring.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

RareExports wrote:
lillelord wrote:Recently accepted, given scholars of law scholarship, depending on my acceptance to Vandy/Texas i'll try to boost that from the 40k annual to 50k, which with a 800/month apt (presumably very doable in St L) should come out to be about 60k debt.

MY question is-

Increase in selectivity, decreased class sizes, and improved career services contribute, as well as the improved job market, as you mentioned. Also, Wash U's national reputation (particularly in New York) is improving from what I've heard. I don't imagine these numbers will drop for any reason other than a potential economic downturn or change in macro-level legal hiring.

What’s your thinking here? Firms hire more wash u grads because our LSAT median increases by a point? Or something less quantifiable?

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
RareExports wrote:

MY question is-

What’s your thinking here? Firms hire more wash u grads because our LSAT median increases by a point? Or something less quantifiable?

Yes. I've heard many firms be open about this. A two or three point increase is significant; it's effectively the difference between T20 schools and T14 schools, and I don't think anyone would argue against the proposition that the difference in hiring between those two bands of schools is substantially different.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”