WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ShaBam84

New

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by ShaBam84 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Who do you claim said that to you? I think you are full of shit and spreading that online is unnacceptable. I am not in the top third and I have never had anyone say anything negative to me about my chances. That would be defeatism and it would not be tolerated. Obviously my ranking negatively impact my chances of getting interviews but I have had every effort I've made matched by the career center.
Also your speculation on the percentages that lead to jobs at different schools is flatly wrong. We have plenty of students outside the top third, even some outside the top half, that have recieved interships at big law firms. That you would try to make up percentages based on ghost stories makes you a moron, more so if you actually are a WashU student. If you want a job then shut the hell up and put the time in.
thexfactor wrote:holy fuck.... no offense man i would give up my left leg to be at cornell or vandy. Im at washu and oci isnt going that smooth......... I dont think im alone either......

I think cornell is a huge difference between washu. Bigger firms go to cornell as compared to washu. also your margin of error is a lot higher at cornell than washu. Prob 2x higher. I think washu is like 20% ITE. Cornell is prob 40%. Ive heard ghost stories of people at cornell/gulc below median getting biglaw. Ive heard of no such thing at wustl. The career center told me if you are below top 1/3 you are in some trouble.
romothesavior wrote:
charliebrownwn wrote:Why'd you pick washington? What other schools were you considering?
Besides Wash U, I got into Cornell, Illinois, Vanderbilt, and BU. I also applied to Duke (rejection), GULC (priority waitlist), and Michigan (ED application, then WL, then rejection).

I had what most people (including most TLSers) would consider to be objectively better offers on the table with great scholarships to Vanderbilt and Illinois, but in the end, I chose Washington University because 1) I want to be in St. Louis when I graduate, 2) I lived in central Illinois for 22 years and was tired of the cornfields, and 3) I loved Wash U and got a really great vibe from the school when I visited.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm

Okay guys, let's try to keep the negativity and personal attacks to a minimum ITT.

ShaBam, I agree with what you have to say about our CSO (I think they are really helpful, at least they have been for me so far), but I don't think thexfactor is all that far off with his assessment of the situation and the numbers he provides. Outside of top 1/3 (and even inside top 1/3, honestly) makes getting biglaw a real struggle at WUSTL or any of our peer schools. The numbers certainly bear that out, and while there are always going to be outliers, I don't think there is anything wrong with being honest about the situation for prospective students.

I made this thread to answer questions and help prospectives, so let's not start jumping on each other.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm

thexfactor wrote:I think cornell is a huge difference between washu.
I think you are forgetting that romo's target market is Saint Louis. I'm sure Cornell provides better prospects most places in the country, but I highly doubt that holds in Stl.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
I think you are forgetting that romo's target market is Saint Louis. I'm sure Cornell provides better prospects most places in the country, but I highly doubt that holds in Stl.
Don't be so sure. 78% of Cornell Grads stay in the Northeast. --LinkRemoved--

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Heyo Romo et al. thanks for taking questions!

Quick question here: How open is WUSTL to negotiating aid? I know that probably depends on individual circumstances, but have/did yall have any experience with that or know someone that did? I'm trying to get a feel for all of this before potential aid offers come out :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:19 pm

ihp12 wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
Don't be so sure. 78% of Cornell Grads stay in the Northeast. --LinkRemoved--
Wholeheartedly agree. There is this perception that T14 always trumps all, but I think people considering schools in the lower T14 (which I am sure many of you WUSTL applicants are) should also be very concerned about geography. I passed up on both C and G because I have no desire to practice in either NYC or DC, which is where those two schools place primarily. All things being equal, obviously those schools are better than WUSTL for employment. But with the right interests and the right amount of money, I think it makes perfect sense to take a T20 over a T14, especially ITE.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 pm

krad wrote:Heyo Romo et al. thanks for taking questions!

Quick question here: How open is WUSTL to negotiating aid? I know that probably depends on individual circumstances, but have/did yall have any experience with that or know someone that did? I'm trying to get a feel for all of this before potential aid offers come out :)
No problem krad.

I think WUSTL is willing to entertain offers, but they don't always bite. I asked for a scholarship increase using good offers from Vanderbilt and UIUC and they didn't bite, but I think they'll at least hear you out. It always just depends on the scholarship fund and how much they have to play with. I know they did increase some scholly awards last year for people. Maybe some other 1Ls can speak to this.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks Romo :D

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Romo's pretty much covered it, but WUSTL increasing their scholarship depends far more on WUSTL than it does on you. If they have money left in their budget, and they need people with your numbers, they'll offer you more. I don't think it matters all that much what you're being offered at other places, but I could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Posted this in the cycle thread but yeah.

I'm thinking of visiting WUSTL for the March 25 thing. What's a good/cheap hotel to stay at? I won't have a car.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Hannibal wrote:Posted this in the cycle thread but yeah.

I'm thinking of visiting WUSTL for the March 25 thing. What's a good/cheap hotel to stay at? I won't have a car.
I think you can stay in the Knight Center right next to the law school for a decent price... I'm sure there are people around who did this last year. WUSTL's right on the metro line from the airport, so no car necessary.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 pm

stratocophic wrote:

I think you can stay in the Knight Center right next to the law school for a decent price... I'm sure there are people around who did this last year. WUSTL's right on the metro line from the airport, so no car necessary.
I could be wrong, but I think the Knight Center is kinda pricey. It is really nice though, and it would make getting around very easy since it is near the Metro. Definitely look into it though Hanni.

I think the cheapest hotel around here is the Red Roof Inn, which is... well... not the shining beacon of St. Louis by any stretch. But it is cheap and gets the job done. Another place that is close and (from what I hear) reasonably priced, check out the Moonrise on Delmar. It is in a great location if you want to hang out around the Loop, and it is pretty close to campus (and like a block from my apt). It is a nice place.

And PM me if you come so I can meet you (even though you're def mafia).

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think the Knight Center is kinda pricey. It is really nice though, and it would make getting around very easy since it is near the Metro. Definitely look into it though Hanni.

I think the cheapest hotel around here is the Red Roof Inn, which is... well... not the shining beacon of St. Louis by any stretch. But it is cheap and gets the job done. Another place that is close and (from what I hear) reasonably priced, check out the Moonrise on Delmar. It is in a great location if you want to hang out around the Loop, and it is pretty close to campus (and like a block from my apt). It is a nice place.

I thought they lower the price for admitted students but I dunno, I didn't stay there so it's all conjecture

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

stratocophic wrote: so it's all conjecture
Dude, its TLS so no worries. This disclaimer could be added to almost every post on this forum. :lol:

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Unfortunately the Knight Center is booked for the nights I would stay there. Probably from people actually being on the ball. The Red Roof Inn is the cheapest option by far, and so long as the rape danger isn't too bad I'd be willing to stay there. It's less than half the cost of the Moonrise.

I'll be sure to PM you once my plans are set Romo.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Hannibal wrote:Unfortunately the Knight Center is booked for the nights I would stay there. Probably from people actually being on the ball. The Red Roof Inn is the cheapest option by far, and so long as the rape danger isn't too bad I'd be willing to stay there. It's less than half the cost of the Moonrise.
There is little stranger danger I don't think, so you're probably safe. But I think by most people's standards, the RRI was kind of a dump. But I stayed there and it worked out fine. The only thing to consider is that it might end up being about the same price as the Moonrise once you factor in cab rides, so that is something to consider.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Unfortunately the Knight Center is booked for the nights I would stay there. Probably from people actually being on the ball. The Red Roof Inn is the cheapest option by far, and so long as the rape danger isn't too bad I'd be willing to stay there. It's less than half the cost of the Moonrise.
There is little stranger danger I don't think, so you're probably safe. But I think by most people's standards, the RRI was kind of a dump. But I stayed there and it worked out fine. The only thing to consider is that it might end up being about the same price as the Moonrise once you factor in cab rides, so that is something to consider.
Nvm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:04 pm

WUSTL 1L here, I can comment on this. Last year, I asked and received a small increase in my scholarship so my advice is that it wouldn't hurt. I used my scholarship offer from Illinois, although I'm not sure that is exactly what made them do it. Best bet is just to ask, nicely, of course, because worst that can happen is they'll say no and you'll be no worse off.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:26 am

Moonrise FTW. It's a nice place, and you can walk to the school from there.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 pm

ShaBam84 wrote:Who do you claim said that to you? I think you are full of shit and spreading that online is unnacceptable. I am not in the top third and I have never had anyone say anything negative to me about my chances. That would be defeatism and it would not be tolerated. Obviously my ranking negatively impact my chances of getting interviews but I have had every effort I've made matched by the career center.
Also your speculation on the percentages that lead to jobs at different schools is flatly wrong. We have plenty of students outside the top third, even some outside the top half, that have recieved interships at big law firms. That you would try to make up percentages based on ghost stories makes you a moron, more so if you actually are a WashU student. If you want a job then shut the hell up and put the time in.
thexfactor wrote:holy fuck.... no offense man i would give up my left leg to be at cornell or vandy. Im at washu and oci isnt going that smooth......... I dont think im alone either......

I think cornell is a huge difference between washu. Bigger firms go to cornell as compared to washu. also your margin of error is a lot higher at cornell than washu. Prob 2x higher. I think washu is like 20% ITE. Cornell is prob 40%. Ive heard ghost stories of people at cornell/gulc below median getting biglaw. Ive heard of no such thing at wustl. The career center told me if you are below top 1/3 you are in some trouble.
romothesavior wrote:
charliebrownwn wrote:Why'd you pick washington? What other schools were you considering?
Besides Wash U, I got into Cornell, Illinois, Vanderbilt, and BU. I also applied to Duke (rejection), GULC (priority waitlist), and Michigan (ED application, then WL, then rejection).

I had what most people (including most TLSers) would consider to be objectively better offers on the table with great scholarships to Vanderbilt and Illinois, but in the end, I chose Washington University because 1) I want to be in St. Louis when I graduate, 2) I lived in central Illinois for 22 years and was tired of the cornfields, and 3) I loved Wash U and got a really great vibe from the school when I visited.
hey shabam do some more of your own research. According to spivey, even during the best of times wustl was placing 33% or so. There are many deans who have been going on record saying that this is the worst hiring freeze that they have ever seen. Do you think wustl is going to be placing anywhere close to 1/3?

There might be one or two people who have IP backgrounds that can get biglaw/midlaw with median or below median grades, but what about the rest of the school?
Im not saying wustl is placing 5% in biglaw. Do your research before you say that i am spreading lies about the school. Stop drinking the koolaid and open your eyes.

btw i have a job, but many most of my friends do not. Wustl is a solid school. Nothing more, nothing less.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:

WUSTL 1L here, I can comment on this. Last year, I asked and received a small increase in my scholarship so my advice is that it wouldn't hurt. I used my scholarship offer from Illinois, although I'm not sure that is exactly what made them do it. Best bet is just to ask, nicely, of course, because worst that can happen is they'll say no and you'll be no worse off.

How did you go about asking and presenting the Illinois scholarship for comparison?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

How did you go about asking and presenting the Illinois scholarship for comparison?
I just wrote, kindly asking for reconsideration of my scholarship in light of my Illinois scholarship, which I then attached a copy of to my email.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:42 am

I got into WUSTL yesterday, but didn't check my inbox because I was living in fear of ding emails, but anyway now I'm really excited! So I had an employment question.

Everyone on TLS says WUSTL grads can, at best, expect a shot at Chicago firms. I check NALP: DLE for WUSTL and it's listed firms from Boston, DC, NYC, and the Bay Area, and in not-insignificant numbers. Why would so many East Coast and West Coast firms waste their time interviewing WUSTL grads if they had no intention of hiring them? I really want to practice on the coasts myself (originally from EC here), so I've been worried about TLS saying that WUSTL has to compete with the T14 and Notre Dame to get firms on the coasts, and fails at it.

Sorry if this question has already been brought up on the thread, I didn't look.

Thanks romo/anyone else who is answering!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 am

Peg wrote:I got into WUSTL yesterday, but didn't check my inbox because I was living in fear of ding emails, but anyway now I'm really excited! So I had an employment question.

Everyone on TLS says WUSTL grads can, at best, expect a shot at Chicago firms. I check NALP: DLE for WUSTL and it's listed firms from Boston, DC, NYC, and the Bay Area, and in not-insignificant numbers. Why would so many East Coast and West Coast firms waste their time interviewing WUSTL grads if they had no intention of hiring them? I really want to practice on the coasts myself (originally from EC here), so I've been worried about TLS saying that WUSTL has to compete with the T14 and Notre Dame to get firms on the coasts, and fails at it.

Sorry if this question has already been brought up on the thread, I didn't look.

Thanks romo/anyone else who is answering!
Congrats on your acceptance peg.

WUSTL brings in firms from all over the place, but the numbers can be a bit deceiving because they are sometimes just resume collects. These also aren't necessarily on-campus interviews, but are often off-campus programs in the respective cities. That said, our CSO brings in a lot of firms from all over (relative to our peer schools) and travels a lot to bring in more. Our CSO dean actually just had his job description changed and he is exclusively going to do outreach types of stuff.

WUSTL can and does place students outside of the midwest, but you have to understand that it takes great grades to get biglaw on the east or west coast from WUSTL. Though this shouldn't come as much of a surprise, and I really don't think it is at all fair to say ND is better or has more reach than WUSTL. I've never understood where these "ND is so much more national than WUSTL!" claims come from, but then again, ND's TLS trolls can be quite loud (at least, they were last cycle). But seriously, if you are "east/west coast or bust" and you don't think you could at least tolerate the notion of ending up in the midwest, then you should think long and hard about WUSTL. Yes, the school can place you all around the country, but that requires great grades, and great grades are never a given.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks for the honest response Romo. Yeah I'm not too sure I would be happy in the Midwest, even in wonderful Chicago, but I'm also not exactly an autoadmit for WUSTL's peer schools on the coasts either. If I don't get into a good school on the coasts then I figure that my chances at coastal biglaw from WUSTL will still be better than my chances from a #43 on the coast.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”