WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:45 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:If the same employer is coming to multiple programs, should we bid them for both or only one?
Bid them for both, and contact career services if and when you get a screener so they can remove your bid for the other one if necessary.

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

How much of an uphill battle is it to jump to another STL law firm with yucky second semester grades? Please do not quote.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 pm

^ Probably depends on if you have ties and whether you are trying to make a Spencer Fane-> Dowd Bennett move or an Armstrong Teasdale to Husch move.

spacebro

New

Post by spacebro » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 am

Hey guys,

Thoughts on living in Everly on the Loop? Thanks!

G41u5

New

Post by G41u5 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 am

Anyone have any thoughts on Richards' Information Privacy Law class? What is the workload like? The alternative is Osgood's Trusts and Estates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frozen_tundra9

New

Post by frozen_tundra9 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:12 pm

How hard would it be to find a place to live if I just showed up in the beginning of August without having signed a lease yet? Particularly if I was looking to live with roommate(s), in the Debaliviere or University City area?

w00kash

New

Post by w00kash » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:19 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:How hard would it be to find a place to live if I just showed up in the beginning of August without having signed a lease yet? Particularly if I was looking to live with roommate(s), in the Debaliviere or University City area?
Might be harder with the roommates bit, I'm really not sure. But generally speaking it is very easy to find housing in STL on short notice in most parts of town. Beginning of August isn't even that short of notice, in fact.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 pm

G41u5 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Richards' Information Privacy Law class? What is the workload like? The alternative is Osgood's Trusts and Estates.
Recommend taking Osgood's Trust & Estate while it's available. Richards is fantastic but teaches Privacy fairly regularly, and the chances to take a class with Osgood (Wash U's best prof imo) are few and far between.

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:31 pm

spacebro wrote:Hey guys,

Interested in responses to this as well, if anyone has two cents to throw in. I just signed a lease there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 pm

That's a new building, right? Delmar is a very heavily trafficked area and well policed; you should be safe there. I would be careful about venturing either North or East more than a few blocks, though.

It's very convenient, and Delmar is great. I think it's a fine place to live.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:11 am

littlekidlover wrote:
spacebro wrote:Hey guys,

Interested in responses to this as well, if anyone has two cents to throw in. I just signed a lease there.
Location is good since there is a shuttle to campus.

However for the price range and similar amenities, it probably would be better to live in the Koman development in CWE. For this building, you will be paying 1.5-2x more than living in an apartment closer to school.

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for the responses! Agree that it probably wasn't the cheapest option, but the whole package checked off a lot of boxes for me.

Also, I read most of this enormous thread to get a sense of WashU Law, so thanks to everyone who kept things entertaining. Looking forward to the fall!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 pm

How annoying will the commute from downtown be?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:47 pm

bwaldorf wrote:How annoying will the commute from downtown be?
Given the recent restrictions on parking availability, if you didn't get a parking permit via the lottery, I can imagine parking being a pain.

Other than that, you'd have to deal with rush hour sometimes, but STL rush hour is nowhere near as bad as major city rush hour.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Given the recent restrictions on parking availability, if you didn't get a parking permit via the lottery, I can imagine parking being a pain.

Other than that, you'd have to deal with rush hour sometimes, but STL rush hour is nowhere near as bad as major city rush hour.
Thanks! I did get a parking permit but wooooow is it expensive! The one I had for undergrad was 1/10th of the price.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I lived downtown during 1L - would have hated it without my car and parking permit. With those two though, I really liked it. More bang for your buck space wise than around campus and plenty of food and such around. Definitely look before jumping in though - some areas are a bit sketch, but there's some really nice buildings.

Public transit can work - but it's not a fun commute when carrying textbooks. It would have been better if I had been closer to the stop though.

Worth noting - if you're younger and/or single, campus area is probably a better bet. I moved there with my SO and so missing out on some of the nearby social scene didn't hurt.

jhc14

New

Post by jhc14 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Hey guys! I'm an incoming 1L. So from what I've found online, it looks like I wont find out my class schedule, section or professors until August. Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for the semester until then? I'd like to start getting my books as well, but I will need my courses to do that. Id' appreciate any tips you have!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:52 pm

jhc14 wrote:Hey guys! I'm an incoming 1L. So from what I've found online, it looks like I wont find out my class schedule, section or professors until August. Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for the semester until then? I'd like to start getting my books as well, but I will need my courses to do that. Id' appreciate any tips you have!
Not much you can do. Standard advice is to read Getting to Maybe, but even then I don't think it's that valuable until you have a more solid understanding of how law school works. I understand the nagging feeling to "do something" in preparation, but I would take this last month to fully enjoy yourself. Coming in with a rested, fresh mind is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 am

acr wrote:
jhc14 wrote:Hey guys! I'm an incoming 1L. So from what I've found online, it looks like I wont find out my class schedule, section or professors until August. Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for the semester until then? I'd like to start getting my books as well, but I will need my courses to do that. Id' appreciate any tips you have!
Not much you can do. Standard advice is to read Getting to Maybe, but even then I don't think it's that valuable until you have a more solid understanding of how law school works. I understand the nagging feeling to "do something" in preparation, but I would take this last month to fully enjoy yourself. Coming in with a rested, fresh mind is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.
I would second this. Relax and enjoy your summer. I know it's not a satisfying answer, but it's the right answer.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:21 pm

lol 1.96? Not even sure that's possible. Might be a typo by the registrar (i.e. should be 2.96?) but idk. I feel like you would have to write something deliberately insulting and off topic to get a freakin 1.96 at wash u

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:22 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.
The registrar must have changed their policy (or made an exception) because someone in Prof. Kim's Civil Procedure class got a 2.32...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:48 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.
The registrar must have changed their policy (or made an exception) because someone in Prof. Kim's Civil Procedure class got a 2.32...
More points on the curve for everyone else.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 pm

sublime wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:
More points on the curve for everyone else.
I assure you that the poor bastard(s) who screwed the pooch that hard in either of those classes is having a serious existential crisis this summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”