WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Reid-Bailey

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by Reid-Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Can someone give me an example schedule of what your week looked like during your 1L fall semester?

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:Can someone give me an example schedule of what your week looked like during your 1L fall semester?
https://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursed ... 1Lgrid.pdf

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:32 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:Can someone give me an example schedule of what your week looked like during your 1L fall semester?
So if I understand that correctly, the letters in brackets [A] are your cohort and if I get put in A then I'd only have those classes?

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
So if I understand that correctly, the letters in brackets [A] are your cohort and if I get put in A then I'd only have those classes?
Correct. But those sections are further subdivided for Legal Practice and Legal Research Methodologies.

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 am

splitterfromhell wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
Correct. But those sections are further subdivided for Legal Practice and Legal Research Methodologies.
Thank you. Final clarification - if I was put in section A under that schedule, I'd have Property class 4 times a week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 am

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
Thank you. Final clarification - if I was put in section A under that schedule, I'd have Property class 4 times a week?
Yes. For my year sometimes a section would have a class for 54 minutes each time and four times a week; sometimes it would have a class for 72 minutes each time and three times a week.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Looks to be, yes. But it may not be set in stone yet.

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 pm

sirenade wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
Yes. For my year sometimes a section would have a class for 54 minutes each time and four times a week; sometimes it would have a class for 72 minutes each time and three times a week.

When do we usually find out what section we are in? And is there any reasoning behind what section you are put in or just random?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:
sirenade wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

When do we usually find out what section we are in? And is there any reasoning behind what section you are put in or just random?
Just checked my e-mail. Last year it was 8/18. I have no idea about the reasoning behind. :|

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:43 am

sirenade wrote:
Just checked my e-mail. Last year it was 8/18. I have no idea about the reasoning behind. :|
So there is basically no way I can buy my books "early" (i.e. soon) because I don't know what section I'll be in?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 am

Reid-Bailey wrote:
sirenade wrote:
So there is basically no way I can buy my books "early" (i.e. soon) because I don't know what section I'll be in?
You won't know until you can see the professor's syllabus too (limited by when they decide to put it online). Usually you will get an email from your professor telling you what to buy; I think some of my professors sent out emails with first-day reading assignments.

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
sirenade wrote:
You won't know until you can see the professor's syllabus too (limited by when they decide to put it online). Usually you will get an email from your professor telling you what to buy; I think some of my professors sent out emails with first-day reading assignments.
Agree. Also I think there is no point in buying textbooks now because even if you have them now you won't know what to read or how to read them (some professors have specific requirements on how to read cases). I think the only concern is whether books will arrive on time when you purchase them online since some sellers are pretty crappy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Seeking advice for course selection. Is a combination of administrative law, commercial law, bankruptcy, trust & estate, moot court & journal too stressful?

typicalsplitter

New

Post by typicalsplitter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:29 pm

sirenade wrote:Seeking advice for course selection. Is a combination of administrative law, commercial law, bankruptcy, trust & estate, moot court & journal too stressful?
Depends on which journal and how seriously you take moot court.

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:46 pm

typicalsplitter wrote:
sirenade wrote:Seeking advice for course selection. Is a combination of administrative law, commercial law, bankruptcy, trust & estate, moot court & journal too stressful?
Got it, many thanks!

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 pm

In terms of time commitment, is it LR and then everything else or do different secondaries require different amounts of time?

On a related note, did anyone do a secondary and regret it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:40 pm

sirenade wrote:
typicalsplitter wrote:
Got it, many thanks!
It seems a little heavier than I'd have liked but the good news is Bankruptcy and Commercial Law overlap a ton. The last month of Commercial law is stuff you'll already know

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Yes

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:43 am

Yes. Take Trust & Estate tho. Osgood is an amazing prof.

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 am

acr wrote:
Thanks for the information! It's kinda curious that he teaches both Criminal Law and Trust & Estate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 am

sirenade wrote:
acr wrote:
Thanks for the information! It's kinda curious that he teaches both Criminal Law and Trust & Estate.
He knows everything about everything. He also teaches Fed Income Tax, American Legal History, Con Law, Property, and a bunch of other courses. He basically teaches whatever they need him to or whatever he's interested in.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm

acr wrote:
sirenade wrote:
acr wrote:
He knows everything about everything. He also teaches Fed Income Tax, American Legal History, Con Law, Property, and a bunch of other courses. He basically teaches whatever they need him to or whatever he's interested in.
This. It isn't weird, he's a genius.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Unsolicited advice: for the rising 2Ls who want to take fed courts, I highly recommend taking admin law first. It's not necessary at all, but it's helpful.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:12 pm

If the same employer is coming to multiple programs, should we bid them for both or only one?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”