WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WUST1L

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by WUST1L » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Petrichor wrote:
WUST1L wrote:Dearest Registrar,

Please do not make us wait another two weeks for grades.

Signed,

Concerned I Failed Contracts
doubt anything is coming out today, might encourage people to transfer and start prepping.
That would be insane considering my section has gotten our LP briefs back so presumably those final grades are in.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 pm

WUST1L wrote:
Petrichor wrote:

Signed,

doubt anything is coming out today, might encourage people to transfer and start prepping.
That would be insane considering my section has gotten our LP briefs back so presumably those final grades are in.
Oh I completely agree, this seems like an internal policy to discourage transferring or something. LRM ended in March, LP and first final ended in April, so I doubt those haven't been finished for weeks by now. Among my fellow interns, I finished exams the earliest but have nothing to show for it, while the others that didn't finish until two weeks ago and had write-ons last week managed to get most of their grades already.

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Petrichor wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
Petrichor wrote:

Signed,

Oh I completely agree, this seems like an internal policy to discourage transferring or something. LRM ended in March, LP and first final ended in April, so I doubt those haven't been finished for weeks by now. Among my fellow interns, I finished exams the earliest but have nothing to show for it, while the others that didn't finish until two weeks ago and had write-ons last week managed to get most of their grades already.
It seems like a marked departure compared to previous years. I'm not sure why SBA pushed for the new policy. Maybe somebody else can shed light.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:38 pm

WUST1L wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
Petrichor wrote:

Signed,

It seems like a marked departure compared to previous years. I'm not sure why SBA pushed for the new policy. Maybe somebody else can shed light.
At least we have our negotiations grade back..lol

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:13 pm

I just need to know I didn't LP a clinic that I did minimal work for. No result.

FWIW, grades coming out 10 days later will have absolutely 0 effect on transfer applications. That stuff is due like mid-July, and transfer admissions are not rolling, so there is no advantage to applying earlier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:17 pm

I got a (non weekend course) grade back. Class finished early April though.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I didn't fail clinic :!:

Stoked

eta: did anyone get grades that weren't modified pass fail or not yet?

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I just need to know I didn't LP a clinic that I did minimal work for. No result.

FWIW, grades coming out 10 days later will have absolutely 0 effect on transfer applications. That stuff is due like mid-July, and transfer admissions are not rolling, so there is no advantage to applying earlier.
It would still help for prep purposes. Some of the OCI stuff isn't due until later in June but I rather have the grades now so I know where I'd have a reasonable shot and focus on prepping material for those firms instead of getting grades back a few days before the deadline.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I just need to know I didn't LP a clinic that I did minimal work for. No result.

I wasn't a transfer student and I am def not* be the best person to respond to bolded but that statement sort of jumps out at me as sketchy. Are you sure? There are benefits to applying earlier sometimes in the normal cycle. Is it different for transfer students? You sound awfully sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Sprout wrote:

I wasn't a transfer student and I am def not* be the best person to respond to bolded but that statement sort of jumps out at me as sketchy. Are you sure? There are benefits to applying earlier sometimes in the normal cycle. Is it different for transfer students? You sound awfully sure.
I went through the transfer process. All decisions are given within 2-3 days. If you go to the TLS transfer forum, it's pretty well documented. All admits happen like in 2 days, and anybody who isn't admitted in those 2 days get rejected anywhere between the following few days and weeks later.

*disclaimer: I only applied to 2 schools to transfer, so it's possible that it's different at other schools, but I don't believe so. Either way, the transfer forum is a good resource. I'm sure this question is answered there.
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Sprout wrote:

I'm guessing that transfer applications, unlike 0Ls, are evaluated once all of them are in so it wouldn't make a difference to apply on the first day or the last. But it could help with the process to start reaching out to professors and writing PS earlier rather than later. YMMV.

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:42 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Sprout wrote:

I went through the transfer process. All decisions are given within 2-3 days. If you go to the TLS transfer forum, it's pretty well documented. All admits happen like in 2 days, and anybody who isn't admitted in those 2 days get rejected anywhere between the following few days and weeks later.
Well, I can certainly say you're wrong about applications being due in mid-July. It's mid-June many places.
Last edited by WUST1L on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm

WUST1L wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Sprout wrote:

Well, I can certainly say you're wrong about applications being due in mid-July. It's mid-June.
I think they start accepting in mid-June.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:48 pm

You're right, it's June 15th, I misremembered as July 15th. Regardless, admissions is not rolling. If you don't believe me, go to the transfer admission forum.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Sprout wrote:I didn't fail clinic :!:

Stoked

Got one curved grade back but it was a small class (15-20 people). Didn't get pre-trial back and everything for that was graded by the end of the semester and it's P/F. Weird.

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:

Stoked

Got one curved grade back but it was a small class (15-20 people). Didn't get pre-trial back and everything for that was graded by the end of the semester and it's P/F. Weird.
This makes me think the registrar and not faculty is to blame.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm

WUST1L wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Stoked

Blamed for what? I'm confused.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:25 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Stoked

The fact that it looks like a lion's share of this semester's grades isn't going to come out until mid-June.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm

I mean we learned that last week when they announced the new policy.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm

WUST1L wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Stoked

The fact that it looks like a lion's share of this semester's grades isn't going to come out until mid-June.
If by lion's share you mean all, I agree lol. I don't think any 1Ls got a grade back today.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Would not be surprised at all if there are still grades outstanding past the final deadline.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:57 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:You're right, it's June 15th, I misremembered as July 15th. Regardless, admissions is not rolling. If you don't believe me, go to the transfer admission forum.
At least for NU transfer admissions, there were some students who were admitted later than others (which I think we can all agree ia how one defines rolling admissions). Not completely sure about others but definitely for NU there was an advantage to submitting the application earlier since you could prepare for their OCI faster.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:You're right, it's June 15th, I misremembered as July 15th. Regardless, admissions is not rolling. If you don't believe me, go to the transfer admission forum.
At least for NU transfer admissions, there were some students who were admitted later than others (which I think we can all agree ia how one defines rolling admissions). Not completely sure about others but definitely for NU there was an advantage to submitting the application earlier since you could prepare for their OCI faster.
While I did not apply to NU and therefore have no personal experience with this, it could still be non-rolling admissions if they simply made transfer acceptances, waited to see if people turned them down and if they had extra room, and then sent out a few more acceptances. In that scenario, there wouldn't be any advantage to applying earlier. The point being that in transfer admissions, they make all of the decisions at once (including who is on a "waitlist"--to the extent there is one).

If it was like consistently trickling admissions over the course of multiple weeks, then yeah that's rolling.

Either way, you will still get the best info from the transfer forum.

Here is a post by Spivey, who runs a law school admissions consulting business (and posts a lot on TLS). It looks like some schools are rolling, while others are not.

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/transf ... ries-of-3/

My experience is limited to applying to 2 schools that definitely did not have rolling transfer admissions. I assumed that was industry norm, but I guess not.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:16 pm

FWIW I just got Rosen's Ethics back at some point in the last half hour or so.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:32 pm

RareExports wrote:FWIW I just got Rosen's Ethics back at some point in the last half hour or so.
Congrats, man

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”