WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 pm

FuturePaulClement wrote:Does anyone know of any easy courses that can help boost a 3.92 GPA?
Thanks for playing, try again later, goodbye.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 pm

FuturePaulClement wrote:Does anyone know of any easy courses that can help boost a 3.92 GPA?
I'd worry more about a deficit in common sense than the difficulty of your classes.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:22 pm

robert88 wrote:I still have 0 grades for my 5 classes including a weekend class that ended in October.
Same here.

Boxsky

New

Post by Boxsky » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:16 pm

If you have that GPA and are still asking that question, you better hold on to it for dear life. I'd even consider dropping out to avoid taking more classes.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Boxsky wrote:
If you have that GPA and are still asking that question, you better hold on to it for dear life. I'd even consider dropping out to avoid taking more classes.
He's a troll.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Something I really like about WUSTL is that you can take clinic classes and clerk for credit. How hard is it to get into the appellate clinic, corporate judicial externship, and judicial clerkship externship? How do these programs help to advance your career?

Thanks so much for any thoughts you have on this!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:11 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Something I really like about WUSTL is that you can take clinic classes and clerk for credit. How hard is it to get into the appellate clinic, corporate judicial externship, and judicial clerkship externship? How do these programs help to advance your career?

For appellate clinic I did it as a 2l, and purely anecdotally, it seems like he takes people with high grades. Everybody in the clinic while I was there is in big law. Judicial externships seem much easier though. I found the clinic worthwhile but I doubt it will help my career.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:55 pm

sublime wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:Something I really like about WUSTL is that you can take clinic classes and clerk for credit. How hard is it to get into the appellate clinic, corporate judicial externship, and judicial clerkship externship? How do these programs help to advance your career?

For appellate clinic I did it as a 2l, and purely anecdotally, it seems like he takes people with high grades. Everybody in the clinic while I was there is in big law. Judicial externships seem much easier though. I found the clinic worthwhile but I doubt it will help my career.
I would second all this. The clinics are great experience, but they probably only advance your career in rare cases. There are 10 things that are more important. The judicial externships are pretty easy to get, but La Pierre seems to take people he knows and likes for the appellate clinic.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Does anyone know why I can't add/drop classes? I thought I could continue registering for a few weeks after classes start. Do I need to contact the registrar to drop and add me from classes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm

acr wrote:Does anyone know why I can't add/drop classes? I thought I could continue registering for a few weeks after classes start. Do I need to contact the registrar to drop and add me from classes?
Generally, students can add/drop themselves now and well into the semester. Some classes are restricted, but it's uncommon enough that I'm guessing it's some error that you just need to email the registrar and ask about.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:12 am

Anyone taken Legislation with Magarian?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:26 am

acr wrote:Anyone taken Legislation with Magarian?
Yes. Magarian is awesome, and I recommend this class. It does come with a take home final (24 hours I think) so keep that in mind.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:54 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
acr wrote:Anyone taken Legislation with Magarian?
Yes. Magarian is awesome, and I recommend this class. It does come with a take home final (24 hours I think) so keep that in mind.
Thanks. I'll sign up for it tomorrow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Given my stats WUSTL might end up being the best option. They are the only school that, according to myLSN at least, would offer me a very large scholarship.

What are the employment prospects? I'd be shooting for biglaw or midlaw (if failing Biglaw), with no real interest in PI or government.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so my real decision comes then, but my GPA is a 3.75.

Also, I'd like to practice in Chicago, but if I understand I don't think WUSTL places much of any grads there.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 pm

AaronRodgers wrote:Given my stats WUSTL might end up being the best option. They are the only school that, according to myLSN at least, would offer me a very large scholarship.

What are the employment prospects? I'd be shooting for biglaw or midlaw (if failing Biglaw), with no real interest in PI or government.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so my real decision comes then, but my GPA is a 3.75.

Also, I'd like to practice in Chicago, but if I understand I don't think WUSTL places much of any grads there.
Put your time and energy into doing as well as you can on the LSAT, then come back. This discussion is meaningless until then.

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
AaronRodgers wrote:Given my stats WUSTL might end up being the best option. They are the only school that, according to myLSN at least, would offer me a very large scholarship.

Put your time and energy into doing as well as you can on the LSAT, then come back. This discussion is meaningless until then.
Very well, thanks anyways.

markham1321

New

Post by markham1321 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 pm

I don't know where this Chicago misconception comes from - there are a ton of 2Ls that got jobs in Chicago, pretty sure more are going there than anywhere other than NYC. The school is definitely represented at most if not all the top firms there

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:29 pm

AaronRodgers wrote: Also, I'd like to practice in Chicago
No, you don't. Trust me.

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 pm

JCougar wrote:
AaronRodgers wrote: Also, I'd like to practice in Chicago
No, you don't. Trust me.
My family is from the area so I'd be willing to tolerate a worse lifestyle.

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm

markham1321 wrote:

I don't know where this Chicago misconception comes from - there are a ton of 2Ls that got jobs in Chicago, pretty sure more are going there than anywhere other than NYC. The school is definitely represented at most if not all the top firms there
I mean sure there's some but is not significantly more difficult?

LST says only 45% even make BigLaw, and 11% work in Illinois.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 pm

markham1321 wrote: I don't know where this Chicago misconception comes from - there are a ton of 2Ls that got jobs in Chicago, pretty sure more are going there than anywhere other than NYC. The school is definitely represented at most if not all the top firms there
In the loosest sense, yes, it may be "represented" at top firms in Chicago. Such as, top firms might have 1-2 attorneys out of every 200 that went to WUSTL. I've probably had lunch with just about all of these people in my area of law. None of them have any pull on their firms' hiring committees.

Chicago is a bad choice, though because Illinois has the smallest growth rate of any state (it's actually negative, as the population is shrinking). And yet Chicago is over-saturated with law schools, pumping out thousands of under-employed attorneys each year, as if the shrinking legal sector never happened. Plus it has two local schools that out-rank WUSTL, so they really have no need to dip down to WUSTL for their recruiting needs.

For every one WUSTL grad that got biglaw in Chicago, there's at least two scraping around in shitlaw, big insruance defense, small insurance defense, unpaid fellowships, or who were forced into a entirely different career from law against their will. The sad fact is that, even three years after graduation, your odds don't increase at getting a job that affords you any semblance of financial stability.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 pm

w00kash

New

Post by w00kash » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am

I would not go to WUSTL if my mindset was big/mid law or bust. Not without a full scholarship at least.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Anyone receive any grades today?

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:Anyone receive any grades today?
Not today but I know a few came out yesterday

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”