WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AaronRodgers

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by AaronRodgers » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 pm

w00kash wrote:
AaronRodgers wrote:Given my stats WUSTL might end up being the best option. They are the only school that, according to myLSN at least, would offer me a very large scholarship.

What are the employment prospects? I'd be shooting for biglaw or midlaw (if failing Biglaw), with no real interest in PI or government.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so my real decision comes then, but my GPA is a 3.75.

Also, I'd like to practice in Chicago, but if I understand I don't think WUSTL places much of any grads there.
I would not go to WUSTL if my mindset was big/mid law or bust. Not without a full scholarship at least.
I would only consider WUSTL if I was at full or near full scholarship.

FuturePaulClement

New

Post by FuturePaulClement » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm

AaronRodgers wrote:
w00kash wrote:
AaronRodgers wrote:Given my stats WUSTL might end up being the best option. They are the only school that, according to myLSN at least, would offer me a very large scholarship.

What are the employment prospects? I'd be shooting for biglaw or midlaw (if failing Biglaw), with no real interest in PI or government.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so my real decision comes then, but my GPA is a 3.75.

Also, I'd like to practice in Chicago, but if I understand I don't think WUSTL places much of any grads there.
I would not go to WUSTL if my mindset was big/mid law or bust. Not without a full scholarship at least.
Dude, I would aim for Harvard, Yale, and maybe Stanford. Those schools will pretty much guarantee you big law. Chicago would be a distant fourth. Assuming you score mid-170s, you should be a shoe-in, and a 178+ will get you some good scholarship money.

AaronRodgers

New

Post by AaronRodgers » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm

FuturePaulClement wrote:
AaronRodgers wrote:
w00kash wrote:

Dude, I would aim for Harvard, Yale, and maybe Stanford. Those schools will pretty much guarantee you big law. Chicago would be a distant fourth. Assuming you score mid-170s, you should be a shoe-in, and a 178+ will get you some good scholarship money.
I think YS are reaching it. H is possible with a really good LSAT, but that would mean basically sticker.

Chicago is certainly possible though with a 178+.

Ofc, I'll apply to all of them, WUSTL is just shaping up to be a good safety.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 pm

"No grades here, nothing to see here, don't worry, we always take weeks into the spring semester to release grades. The uhhh...unexpected weather! Yes, of course I know we were all in the office, but, but there was ice somewhere! I'm certain of it."

Cloture

New

Post by Cloture » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:28 pm

RareExports wrote:"No grades here, nothing to see here, don't worry, we always take weeks into the spring semester to release grades. The uhhh...unexpected weather! Yes, of course I know we were all in the office, but, but there was ice somewhere! I'm certain of it."
Don't forget, we appreciate you!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yallayallamohandes

New

post removed.

Post by yallayallamohandes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:54 pm

post removed.
Last edited by yallayallamohandes on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 pm

RareExports wrote:"No grades here, nothing to see here, don't worry, we always take weeks into the spring semester to release grades. The uhhh...unexpected weather! Yes, of course I know we were all in the office, but, but there was ice somewhere! I'm certain of it."
Seriously, how did the weather affect the release of the grades? did the grades have to fly in from some other parts of the country and could not make a safe landing in the lambert airport?

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:08 pm

yallayallamohandes wrote:I got all my grades for the first semester. For those who have been in top 5 percent: when did the rankings come out usually in the past? Based on the past GPA percentage table, it seems that I will probably be in top 5 percent. Just wondering if I should wait for the rankings to come out and then send my transcript for the summer internship application.
Congratulations! the table will be out once all the grades for your year have been posted

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 pm

yallayallamohandes wrote:I got all my grades for the first semester. For those who have been in top 5 percent: when did the rankings come out usually in the past? Based on the past GPA percentage table, it seems that I will probably be in top 5 percent. Just wondering if I should wait for the rankings to come out and then send my transcript for the summer internship application.
The percentile cutoffs and ranks came out pretty quickly after the last few grades came out last year.

I want to say that it was around the beginning of the first week of class, but my memory of that is a bit fuzzy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yallayallamohandes

New

post removed.

Post by yallayallamohandes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 pm

post removed.
Last edited by yallayallamohandes on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 am

yallayallamohandes wrote:Thanks!

Yeah, I read that the tables will be available after all grades come out. Just worried that the rankings would come out late this semester, just like the grades did, compared to the past semesters. Many deadlines are on this week, so not much time to wait for the rankings.
If the cutoffs aren't out before deadline, submit without them and note that you will followup when they are released. You won't be the only one with this problem, and it gives you an easy excuse to followup in a week or two.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Well the university finally addressed grades in an email, saying that the delay has been caused by unexpected weather and that it is the usual policy to release grades a few weeks into the spring semester. Since the weather literally only impacted one day (last Friday) and they didn't even cancel school, all of this feels like a straight up lie

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 pm

The worst part about admin isn't that they're late, it's that they (1) don't communicate that grades will be late so people can not worry about grades over break, and (2) refuse to own up to their bullshit.

What was that passive aggressive email supposed to accomplish? Does the admin really think we're brain dead? % cutoffs were out the 14th last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Commoncourtesy

New

Post by Commoncourtesy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Last edited by Commoncourtesy on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:33 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:The worst part about admin isn't that they're late, it's that they (1) don't communicate that grades will be late so people can not worry about grades over break, and (2) refuse to own up to their bullshit.

What was that passive aggressive email supposed to accomplish? Does the admin really think we're brain dead? % cutoffs were out the 14th last year.
+1

I'm still waiting on 5/6 of my grades. Doesn't really matter as a 3L but that email was ridiculous. Even WEBSTAC started defaulting to Spring 2017 when I go to check grades, and has for almost a week, implying that even the online system assumes we got our Fall 2016 grades already lol :roll:

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Another week passed with plenty of grades outstanding.

On another note, the Spring OCI employer list looks much different than in previous years. It's only a couple small firms, local government offices, and public interest groups. None of the typical companies or mid/large-size firms are coming.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:20 am

RareExports wrote:Another week passed with plenty of grades outstanding.

On another note, the Spring OCI employer list looks much different than in previous years. It's only a couple small firms, local government offices, and public interest groups. None of the typical companies or mid/large-size firms are coming.

Symplicity sorts by class year. 1L list may be different from yours.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:25 am

Does Wash U have a form for need-based aid? I know some schools use CSS?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 pm

sjs12 wrote:Does Wash U have a form for need-based aid? I know some schools use CSS?
Don't believe the law school does need based aid, at least they didn't my year. Someone please correct me if that has changed.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:12 pm

1L ranking is out. Any idea when it might be for 2/3Ls?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Was offered a half-tuition scholarship at WUSTL and, last week, at Cornell as well. Since Cornell is ranked higher, would it be acceptable to go ahead and send a negotiation e-mail to WUSTL, attaching/forwarding Cornell's offer, and asking if it's possible to have my WUSTL offer increased? I know there are posts a-plenty about how, exactly, to write a negotiation e-mail, but if anyone has any tips there, too, that would be great.

Also, a few weeks ago I e-mailed WUSTL to "double check" that they would automatically receive my updated (slightly higher, yay!) December LSAT score and take it into consideration for financial aid. They wrote back saying yes, they had already received my updated score report from LSAC and would take it into account when determining aid. However, I don't know if they actually looked at my file when responding to my e-mail, such that the admissions person might have thought I just recently got accepted and hadn't heard back yet about financial aid at all. Actually, I got accepted (and got the 50% scholarship) back in October, so I'm not sure if I should go ahead with a negotiation e-mail or give them time and just assume that they'll re-review my file and increase my financial aid accordingly on their own.

Any thoughts/tips? Thanks again for answering questions!
It's more than acceptable to do so. There should be others on this thread who can better advice you on how to draft the scholarship negotiation letter well, I only sent it once. IIRC some people up'd their scholarship up to three times.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:32 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Was offered a half-tuition scholarship at WUSTL and, last week, at Cornell as well. Since Cornell is ranked higher, would it be acceptable to go ahead and send a negotiation e-mail to WUSTL, attaching/forwarding Cornell's offer, and asking if it's possible to have my WUSTL offer increased? I know there are posts a-plenty about how, exactly, to write a negotiation e-mail, but if anyone has any tips there, too, that would be great.

Also, a few weeks ago I e-mailed WUSTL to "double check" that they would automatically receive my updated (slightly higher, yay!) December LSAT score and take it into consideration for financial aid. They wrote back saying yes, they had already received my updated score report from LSAC and would take it into account when determining aid. However, I don't know if they actually looked at my file when responding to my e-mail, such that the admissions person might have thought I just recently got accepted and hadn't heard back yet about financial aid at all. Actually, I got accepted (and got the 50% scholarship) back in October, so I'm not sure if I should go ahead with a negotiation e-mail or give them time and just assume that they'll re-review my file and increase my financial aid accordingly on their own.

Any thoughts/tips? Thanks again for answering questions!
Looked at your profile. If you are a URM with a 3.9/167, don't go to WUSTL. You will get full rides most likely at better schools.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:41 pm

chingwoo wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:.
Looked at your profile. If you are a URM with a 3.9/167, don't go to WUSTL. You will get full rides most likely at better schools.
I'm worried about offers from T-14s, though, since WUSTL didn't offer quite as much as I expected, and I figure that's an indication of how schools higher up the totem pole will act, as well. Am I wrong in thinking this?

sirenade

New

Post by sirenade » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:03 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:
chingwoo wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:.
I'm worried about offers from T-14s, though, since WUSTL didn't offer quite as much as I expected, and I figure that's an indication of how schools higher up the totem pole will act, as well. Am I wrong in thinking this?
My guess is schools have different preferences. I have a friend who didn't get full ride from Wash U (even after negotiation) but get significantly higher scholarship from a T14 school compared to others who get full ride plus stipend from Wash U. My personal experience is that Wash U like applicants with high LSAT scores.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”