WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
splitterfromhell

Silver

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:46 pm

With bidding open, will more firms get added to the list between now and EIW or is what we see what we get?

Also, how important is where you rank a particular firm?

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:49 pm

There will be more, but you should not solely rely on EIW. Mass mail until you get an offer.
The ranking does not matter.
splitterfromhell wrote:With bidding open, will more firms get added to the list between now and EIW or is what we see what we get?

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:50 pm

robert88 wrote:There will be more, but you should not solely rely on EIW. Mass mail until you get an offer.
splitterfromhell wrote:With bidding open, will more firms get added to the list between now and EIW or is what we see what we get?

So it would be dumb to submit bids until much closer to bid closing since the list will grow, right?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
robert88 wrote:There will be more, but you should not solely rely on EIW. Mass mail until you get an offer.

So it would be dumb to submit bids until much closer to bid closing since the list will grow, right?
Unless something changed, bid numbers don't matter.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:02 pm

You can't use up your bids anyways. You have 50 bids, but there are less than 50 places to bid for at least in my year. Just bid on everything.
splitterfromhell wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Agree that bid rank doesn't matter. Don't overlook the interview programs that are in different cities (NYC, DC, Chi, Dallas/Houston, LA/SF, etc.). A lot of great firms interview there but don't come to WUSTL to do OCI.

And mass mail.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by splitterfromhell on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 pm

A lot of those are direct send, so they don't count in your 50 bids.
splitterfromhell wrote:Thanks all. We do have more than 50 coming so far but I guess less than I thought upon first glance. Definitely heeding the mass mail advice.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:50 am

Petrichor wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
Sprout wrote:I didn't fail clinic :!:

Stoked

eta: did anyone get grades that weren't modified pass fail or not yet?
Got one curved grade back but it was a small class (15-20 people). Didn't get pre-trial back and everything for that was graded by the end of the semester and it's P/F. Weird.
This makes me think the registrar and not faculty is to blame.
Blamed for what? I'm confused.
The fact that it looks like a lion's share of this semester's grades isn't going to come out until mid-June.
If by lion's share you mean all, I agree lol. I don't think any 1Ls got a grade back today.
I got 2 yesterday. How neither of them was LRM or LP, I have no idea. I know our prof has finished grading LP, and LRM was done in March.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:11 pm

LRM was the last grade back for many of us last year.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Funny how my voice was silenced once again. I guess in Trump's America that's just how these things work. Keep living in your world of alternative facts, fascists.

The fascists would like to make clear that if you continue to troll this thread, you'll be banned permanently.

Boxsky

New

Post by Boxsky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm

WUST1L wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Sprout wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I just need to know I didn't LP a clinic that I did minimal work for. No result.

FWIW, grades coming out 10 days later will have absolutely 0 effect on transfer applications. That stuff is due like mid-July, and transfer admissions are not rolling, so there is no advantage to applying earlier.
I wasn't a transfer student and I am def not* be the best person to respond to bolded but that statement sort of jumps out at me as sketchy. Are you sure? There are benefits to applying earlier sometimes in the normal cycle. Is it different for transfer students? You sound awfully sure.
I went through the transfer process. All decisions are given within 2-3 days. If you go to the TLS transfer forum, it's pretty well documented. All admits happen like in 2 days, and anybody who isn't admitted in those 2 days get rejected anywhere between the following few days and weeks later.
Well, I can certainly say you're wrong about applications being due in mid-July. It's mid-June many places.
No, he's right. I transferred to WUSTL and didn't even begin the application process until the second week of July.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Boxsky wrote:
WUST1L wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Sprout wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I just need to know I didn't LP a clinic that I did minimal work for. No result.

FWIW, grades coming out 10 days later will have absolutely 0 effect on transfer applications. That stuff is due like mid-July, and transfer admissions are not rolling, so there is no advantage to applying earlier.
I wasn't a transfer student and I am def not* be the best person to respond to bolded but that statement sort of jumps out at me as sketchy. Are you sure? There are benefits to applying earlier sometimes in the normal cycle. Is it different for transfer students? You sound awfully sure.
I went through the transfer process. All decisions are given within 2-3 days. If you go to the TLS transfer forum, it's pretty well documented. All admits happen like in 2 days, and anybody who isn't admitted in those 2 days get rejected anywhere between the following few days and weeks later.
Well, I can certainly say you're wrong about applications being due in mid-July. It's mid-June many places.
No, he's right. I transferred to WUSTL and didn't even begin the application process until the second week of July.
It just depends on the school you're applying to guys. Lots of schools have deadlines in mid-July. Other schools, most notably NU, have deadlines in mid-June. No matter when the deadline is, it's still best to get transfer decisions as early as possible. It makes a huge difference for things like bidding on OCI, write-on, and arranging accommodations. Although grades will supposedly be released by June 12, I can see how that would be stressful for someone wanting to transfer to NU or another school with a mid-June deadline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am

Any grades yet today?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:00 pm

RareExports wrote:Any grades yet today?
got one

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:07 pm

All mine are up.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Got two today. Still missing two.

I should probably know this, but does anyone know how many HPs can be given out in a 12 person pre-trial class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Got two today. Still missing two.

I should probably know this, but does anyone know how many HPs can be given out in a 12 person pre-trial class?
4 iirc (33%)

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:13 pm

sublime wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Got two today. Still missing two.

4 iirc (33%)
Thanks

needsomehelphere

New

Post by needsomehelphere » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Anybody have any idea when journals make their calls for spots this summer? Would like to know before some of my job apps are locked in on some job fair simplicity sites

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:40 pm

needsomehelphere wrote:Anybody have any idea when journals make their calls for spots this summer? Would like to know before some of my job apps are locked in on some job fair simplicity sites
came in around June 20ish last year

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:01 pm

needsomehelphere wrote:Anybody have any idea when journals make their calls for spots this summer? Would like to know before some of my job apps are locked in on some job fair simplicity sites
law review has submitted the grades on June 2 (I believe other journals have as well), and (don't quote me on this) I think the results come out June 15.

In unrelated news, it's 3pm CST and I have no grades for any of my graded classes lololol. At least I know I passed things.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:47 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
law review has submitted the grades on June 2 (I believe other journals have as well), and (don't quote me on this) I think the results come out June 15.

In unrelated news, it's 3pm CST and I have no grades for any of my graded classes lololol. At least I know I passed things.
I'm also missing two grades....

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Looks like I missed top third by a hair. Should I put where the cutoff is on my resume by the GPA or just say YOLO and hope the grade inflation works in my favor?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 pm

WUST1L wrote:Looks like I missed top third by a hair. Should I put where the cutoff is on my resume by the GPA or just say YOLO and hope the grade inflation works in my favor?
Second one. Firms that are familiar with WashU will roughly know the cutoffs, and the firms that aren't will think you are higher than top 1/3.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”