WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
finaciardi

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by finaciardi » Thu May 04, 2017 1:18 am

carsondalywashere wrote: That's a pretty safe area (maybe even very safe), but what do you mean the building doesn't have controlled access?
Ah, that's good to hear. Thank you! But by no controlled access, I mean that there are outdoors stairs at the back of the building that lead straight to the apartment doors without a front gate/lobby/door, kinda like motels I guess. Could this be a problem?
sublime wrote:That area seems fine but is probably a mile plus walk to the law school which is on the opposite side of campus. You can definitely do it but it may be unpleasant.
So I've seen! Couldn't really find anything I like closer to the law building though. I might just be a little early in my search, but I'm assuming I can always bike too so we'll see. Thank you so much for your input!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 04, 2017 1:22 am

I didn't have a car and really liked my location just south of delmar kind of behind Bb hill fwiw. My gf at the time lived in your area and it was at least double the walk.

w00kash

New

Post by w00kash » Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 pm

finaciardi wrote:Hi! Would anyone mind speaking to this circled area: http://imgur.com/a/nfT2n
In case the image doesn't load, it's the area close to the Skinker metro stop, i.e. streets of Pershing, Waterman, McPherson, etc closer to N. Skinker Blvd than Debaliviere. Found a place I like here and thinking about taking it because being within walking distance to school is a priority, but the building doesn't have gated/controlled access and I'm willing to forgo the priority if the area isn't safe.

Is it any safer than the area block or two north from Delmar (Interdrive, Eastgate, etc) where the North Campus is? Thank you!
It's safe. Probably safer than the Interdrive area, but that's just a guess. Most crime in either area is going to be property crime. Walk's not too bad and you could always ride a bike if you want. Or I guess you could take the metro link one stop over too.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 pm

w00kash wrote:
finaciardi wrote:Hi! Would anyone mind speaking to this circled area: http://imgur.com/a/nfT2n
In case the image doesn't load, it's the area close to the Skinker metro stop, i.e. streets of Pershing, Waterman, McPherson, etc closer to N. Skinker Blvd than Debaliviere. Found a place I like here and thinking about taking it because being within walking distance to school is a priority, but the building doesn't have gated/controlled access and I'm willing to forgo the priority if the area isn't safe.

Is it any safer than the area block or two north from Delmar (Interdrive, Eastgate, etc) where the North Campus is? Thank you!
It's safe. Probably safer than the Interdrive area, but that's just a guess. Most crime in either area is going to be property crime. Walk's not too bad and you could always ride a bike if you want. Or I guess you could take the metro link one stop over too.
Definitely safer than interdrive (not that it's especially dangerous over there, but you're getting closer).

I have a couple of buddies who live over there, and their rent is dirt cheap. The apartments are kind of old and parking sucks, but the red brick buildings are cool

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 am

CCD says top half is competitive for federal district court clerkships and top quarter for COA. That seems generous, right?

Also, how do you figure out who to apply to?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon May 08, 2017 3:50 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:CCD says top half is competitive for federal district court clerkships and top quarter for COA. That seems generous, right?

I don't know a lot about clerkships, nor do I have an answer to your second question, but those estimates seem very generous. I think it's closer to top 10-15% for Districts and 1-3% for CoA (these are estimates for less selective judges), but hopefully someone else can chime in.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon May 08, 2017 5:58 pm

RareExports wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:CCD says top half is competitive for federal district court clerkships and top quarter for COA. That seems generous, right?

I don't know a lot about clerkships, nor do I have an answer to your second question, but those estimates seem very generous. I think it's closer to top 10-15% for Districts and 1-3% for CoA (these are estimates for less selective judges), but hopefully someone else can chime in.
Everyone in our year that I know of with a CoA clerkship is not in the top 5%, and I know of at least 1 not in the top 15%. Plenty D. Ct. Clerkships not in the top 15%. I'd say top 3rd for district and top 20% for CoA. All relatively less selective districts though.

Top 5% puts you in contention for competitive stuff. A lot of our top 5% isn't clerking because nobody applied in the fall. The ones I talked to are planning to apply next fall for 2019/2020.

There are probably top 5%ers running around with CoA clerkships and are quiet about it, but it's certainly not necessary.

mightaswell

New

Post by mightaswell » Mon May 15, 2017 1:05 am

Hey grads!

Thanks for taking the time and answering these questions.

I have two questions: first, how is the placement outside of STL? Do people have to HUSTLE to get out or is it relatively easy? I'm from STL so the thought of coming home for law school has a lot of pull but I dont foresee myself being there long term.

Second, I'm currently debating WUSTL with a full ride (no stipend) or Michigan with a 90k scholarship (~140 COA). Knowing what you do now about WashU, what would you do?

(added info, I'm trying to go Bioethic/Biotech law and/or policy & regulation route - so big law but definitely not big law or bust)

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 am

mightaswell wrote:Hey grads!

Thanks for taking the time and answering these questions.

I have two questions: first, how is the placement outside of STL? Do people have to HUSTLE to get out or is it relatively easy? I'm from STL so the thought of coming home for law school has a lot of pull but I dont foresee myself being there long term.

Second, I'm currently debating WUSTL with a full ride (no stipend) or Michigan with a 90k scholarship (~140 COA). Knowing what you do now about WashU, what would you do?

(added info, I'm trying to go Bioethic/Biotech law and/or policy & regulation route - so big law but definitely not big law or bust)
Personally I would choose Wustl here, but I am very debt adverse. I think being from St. Louis and not being definitely big law or bust makes it a wise choice. That being said, I don't know anything about bioethic/biotech law and hiring in that area. Anecdotally I do know lots of grads who are leaving St. Louis for jobs, and it felt like it had pretty good reach during my job search (ended up staying in St. Louis), but I would imagine Michigan would have a good bit more reach, but maybe not 140k more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Is the 3k stipend still available for 1L summers?

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Wed May 17, 2017 5:01 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Is the 3k stipend still available for 1L summers?
Yep, for public interest and judicial internships. I think the actual amount would depend on your hours worked, but 3K is in the ballpark.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed May 17, 2017 5:21 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
Yep, for public interest and judicial internships. I think the actual amount would depend on your hours worked, but 3K is in the ballpark.
I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure judicial externships don't get the stipend.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed May 17, 2017 5:22 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

They don't unless the policy has been changed recently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

They don't unless the policy has been changed recently.
It has.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 pm

This new grade policy is ridiculous. Why would they choose two dates that are 10 days apart?

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri May 26, 2017 6:05 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:This new grade policy is ridiculous. Why would they choose two dates that are 10 days apart?
Well there's that, and I don't see the appeal of getting grades back all at once as opposed to sporadically, especially when it likely means that grades that would've been released earlier will now be held until the specified dates.

I guess you can't please everyone.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue May 30, 2017 9:07 pm

So I talked to my friend at the registrar today, and she said that grades may not come out till the 3rd week of August or September because of a computer crash. Congratulations guys!

User has been banned for lolworthy trolling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 am

Has anyone confirmed this?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
RareExports wrote:

Everyone in our year that I know of with a CoA clerkship is not in the top 5%, and I know of at least 1 not in the top 15%. Plenty D. Ct. Clerkships not in the top 15%. I'd say top 3rd for district and top 20% for CoA. All relatively less selective districts though.

Top 5% puts you in contention for competitive stuff. A lot of our top 5% isn't clerking because nobody applied in the fall. The ones I talked to are planning to apply next fall for 2019/2020.

There are probably top 5%ers running around with CoA clerkships and are quiet about it, but it's certainly not necessary.
I spoke with Dean Staudt a couple of months ago, and she said she's trying to get Wustl's clerkship numbers up, which would explain why they're being optimistic here. I think a lot of students who could be competitive assume they don't have a shot. I also think Wustl has a lot of debt averse students, and people who pick cheaper over prestige are also probably more likely to pick immediate high salary over prestigious clerkships.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:Has anyone confirmed this?
Can't be right. No one would be able to take the bar.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 31, 2017 12:20 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:Has anyone confirmed this?
Can't be right. No one would be able to take the bar.
Not to mention OCI. And the poster who said it comes around to troll every few months. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Dearest Registrar,

Please do not make us wait another two weeks for grades.

Signed,

Concerned I Failed Contracts

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:32 pm

WUST1L wrote:Dearest Registrar,

Signed,

Technically, it will only be 10 days.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
RareExports wrote:

I spoke with Dean Staudt a couple of months ago, and she said she's trying to get Wustl's clerkship numbers up, which would explain why they're being optimistic here. I think a lot of students who could be competitive assume they don't have a shot. I also think Wustl has a lot of debt averse students, and people who pick cheaper over prestige are also probably more likely to pick immediate high salary over prestigious clerkships.
That would be great. It really takes the deans to start making calls and put the school's weight behind its applicants to get those numbers up. I graduated years ago and it took a bunch of personal hustling to even get interviews, and I was in the top 10% when I applied the first cycle and top 5% in the second cycle. I think the school's reach and competitiveness in general has been low (I mean, shit, how many people still get us confused with GW and UW?) and there aren't tons of federal judge alums. I mean one of the only reasons anyone seems to get anything in California is because Judge Otero's son went to WUSTL law so he tries to hire at least one clerk a year from the school.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:11 pm

WUST1L wrote:Dearest Registrar,

Signed,

doubt anything is coming out today, might encourage people to transfer and start prepping.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”